hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Callum Paterson called up for Scotland...

Oh well.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh well.

Ive really enjoyed Strachan's time in charge of scotland but his call ups for these two games have been pure honking

@hibs.net private member woodythehibee's Avatar
    Oh dear,

Quote Originally Posted by Green&White View Post
    Ive really enjoyed Strachan's time in charge of scotland but his call ups for these two games have been pure honking
    i disagree. He knows the squad, he knows the team he wants to play. Tkaing in 1 or 2 uncapped younger players at a time lets him see what they are like (attitude, workwise). I would rather these players get a taste of a squad that is buzzing than one that is at a low.

You will quickly see what players then rise to the challenge. I would worry if there were 4 or 5 of these new guys and them getting a sniff of a start but it wont happen

Not saying David Gray should be called up but hes better than Paterson

Would be better with Craig Paterson.....

Callum Paterson is a honking little thug that should be nowhere near the Scotland setup....

Quote Originally Posted by S4uzee View Post
    By a mile

Quote Originally Posted by TowerHibs View Post
    i disagree. He knows the squad, he knows the team he wants to play. Tkaing in 1 or 2 uncapped younger players at a time lets him see what they are like (attitude, workwise). I would rather these players get a taste of a squad that is buzzing than one that is at a low.

You will quickly see what players then rise to the challenge. I would worry if there were 4 or 5 of these new guys and them getting a sniff of a start but it wont happen

thats fair enough for the england game to a certain extent but not the ireland game which we need to win! there are much better players playing at a much higher standard than paterson and that rangers boy that he could have called up

i agree re the one or two uncapped players to have a look but it needs to be the right time and the right players. for me now is not the time and they are not the players.

Quote Originally Posted by Green&White View Post
    thats fair enough for the england game to a certain extent but not the ireland game which we need to win! there are much better players playing at a much higher standard than paterson and that rangers boy that he could have called up

i agree re the one or two uncapped players to have a look but it needs to be the right time and the right players. for me now is not the time and they are not the players.
    These guys are there for an experience. Think of Walcott at World Cup or Fat Ronanldo at 1994 World Cup. There maybe players playing at higher level but pointless getting these guys in who will not even get a strip on the Ireland game when you can get a couple of younger boys up to experience it.

To be fair, i cant really think of any at the mintue who would merit it. Perhaps Jordan Rhodes but beyond that....whats the point in calling up a 28/29 year old uncapped payer who will not get into more squads and will not get in the match squad for Ireland.

I think Strachan knows what he is doing and the squad at the mintue seems to be in a brilliant place. I don't like Patterson as a player but he is young enough to improve. Guald got into the last squad and they were "must win" matches and know he is out. He is giving everyone a wee taste and seeing how they react to it

Left by mutual consent!
    Embarrassing

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    What's happened to shinnie?

Surely Paterson isn't rated above him? He's utter *****.

The only thing he has over Gray is his age, and with that, the scope to become an even better player. Gray is the superior full back of the two without question, but his career may be seen as on a downward trajectory, being in the first division with Hibs in his mid twenties, whereas Paterson is a young lad with a lot of promise (not as much as the **** make out, mind!) who'll definitely go on to better things in his career if he keeps on improving.

If we were in the Premiership, this would be Gray's call up.

I agree with this call up. There has been a dearth, in the Scotland squad for years, of ferret-faced, lanky twats who wear alice bands and can't grow satisfactory facial hair. Patterson solves the problem in one fell swoop.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    What's happened to shinnie?

Surely Paterson isn't rated above him? He's utter *****.
    Shinnie's a left-back, and he should be in the squad, behind Andy Robertson.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by S4uzee View Post
    The singer David Gray is better than that dirty Rolf-Harris-on-stilts freak.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFamous1875 View Post
    Shinnie's a left-back, and he should be in the squad, behind Andy Robertson.
    Right enough, I remember him playing at right back against us in a game though and he was excellent, think he created one and won a penalty?

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    I agree with this call up. There has been a dearth, in the Scotland squad for years, of ferret-faced, lanky twats who wear alice bands and can't grow satisfactory facial hair. Patterson solves the problem in one fell swoop.
    Never thought of him as world class until I read your post

Testimonial Due
    Anyone know what strachans mobile number is? Had a missed call on mobile and just wondered if I was maybe due one.

Wouldnt be an issue on here if he wasn't a Jambo.

If it was someone we had never heard of who was playing for ipswich then people would accept it more. Think with how well Scotland have been playing and how far the squad has came in the last 2 years, the manager deserves to make the calls he is making

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Just told a jambo in the office and even he burst out laughing. Don't get this at all...bizarre.

If it was someone we had never heard of who was playing for ipswich then people would accept it more. Think with how well Scotland have been playing and how far the squad has came in the last 2 years, the manager deserves to make the calls he is making
    If he wasn't a jambo we wouldn't have noticed how ***** he is.

First Team Breakthrough SmithyHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: SmithyNYG

Think it's more the case that most of us have seen him play, and have seen first hand how honking he is! Dread to think what would happen if he lined up against Raheem Sterling (if he's not too tired)

I'm stunned.

As someone else has said, I'm not necessarily advocating that David Gray should get a call up but he's miles better than Paterson.

Some people forget that he's only 19. There's no doubt that he's got the physical attributes to be a top footballer, it just depends on whether or not he has the footballing ability - which I believe he does, to a certain extent.

Quote Originally Posted by SmithyHibee View Post
    Think it's more the case that most of us have seen him play, and have seen first hand how honking he is! Dread to think what would happen if he lined up against Raheem Sterling (if he's not too tired)
    Thing is, you just dont know he is playing against Sterling.

I agree, we know he is honking but I'm struggling to think of another under 24 right back to act as cover. Guy has played for u 19's & u 21's and Strachan is getting him in to see what he is like. Patterson is 19 , he is nowhere near the finished atricle. He does however have good physical attributes compared to others in that position. Strachan is looking at potential here, nothing more.

I certainly dont think it is worth getting knickers in a twist. Be surprised if he gets anywhere near any gametime. It gives guys like Scott Allan, Guald, Stanton, GMS, King etc the knowledge that the manager is watching and will give you the chance to shine.

No big deal in my eyes. In fact, something we should have been doing years ago instead of giving caps to guys like a 28 year old Ian black
    Last edited by TowerHibs; 10-11-2014 at 11:48 AM.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Paterson is a decent player but seriously?
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

I certainly dont think it is worth getting knickers in a twist. Be surprised if he gets anywhere near any gametime. It gives guys like Scott Allan, Guald, Stanton, GMS, King etc the knowledge that the manager is watching and will give you the chance to shine.
    Well it certainly shows them that you can play as well as you want, you'll still not get picked while "Dr Funk" gets in the squad

I know i have posted a lot here and sounds like i am sticking up for Patterson but those who are scratching their heads at this.....can you name another young Scottish full back (right back) to get into the squad to act as cover??? I'm struggling, although there must be 1.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Think he's serving a domestic ban, so wouldn't have been available for Hearts game this weekend