hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ballotelli.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar

Ballotelli.

He's not that good, he's always in trouble and he courts controversy at EVERY club he's been at. What the hell was Brendan Rodgers thinking about when he signed him?

Listening to talk sport this morning, they are going ballistic that he changed his shirt with Pepe at half time, something thats done on the continent every week.

Watching Souness and Redknapp tear into him last night, when he'd not been the worst player playing in red in my opinion is bordering on bullying.

There's a hate campaign starting against this player by the tv, written and radio media in my opinion, just because he's not replaced Suarez, when the real person they should be venting their anger at is Rodgers.

He's never been an out and out goalscorer, or even a player who leads the line that well on his own. And playing up front last night on his own, against the best club side in Europe was never going to be easy.

When they took him off, did Sterling do any better?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    He isn't the first to swap shirts at half time, though I can't understand why players do it, and at 3-0 down it looked an act of submission. Balotelli isn't the full shilling, but Rodgers knew that and took him anyway.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's not that good, he's always in trouble and he courts controversy at EVERY club he's been at. What the hell was Brendan Rodgers thinking about when he signed him?

Listening to talk sport this morning, they are going ballistic that he changed his shirt with Pepe at half time, something thats done on the continent every week.

Watching Souness and Redknapp tear into him last night, when he'd not been the worst player playing in red in my opinion is bordering on bullying.

There's a hate campaign starting against this player by the tv, written and radio media in my opinion, just because he's not replaced Suarez, when the real person they should be venting their anger at is Rodgers.

He's never been an out and out goalscorer, or even a player who leads the line that well on his own. And playing up front last night on his own, against the best club side in Europe was never going to be easy.

Agree with that the criticism is out of context. He has ability however is very up and down. He is an easy target and Rodgers isn't getting the best out of him. Seems to be set up as a scapegoat for Liverpools poor start to the season. He isn't the only new signing not producing including others who cost more than he did and aren't starting games.

@hibs.net private member

bullying? Really? He does deserve the criticism, just look at you opening to the thread where you talk about him courting controversy at every club! There is a reason for that! He wasn't the worst player but in terms of what he is capable of he is the furthest away from playing to the top of their game.

Quote Originally Posted by HFCDaveA View Post
    bullying? Really? He does deserve the criticism, just look at you opening to the thread where you talk about him courting controversy at every club! There is a reason for that! He wasn't the worst player but in terms of what he is capable of he is the furthest away from playing to the top of their game.
    I'd say it is on the verge of bullying, in fact Souness alluded to it last night when asked if he was up front when Souness was playing in midfield for Liverpool.

Souness is a terrible pundit. Always a huge mistake to have ex liverpool players being pundits on their games. Their heads are too drilled will tradition etc. Liverpool were beaten last night because they defended like school children. CB's were shocking and Glen Johnson is never a permierleague player in a million years. I'm worried they might try and get Hanlon off us now.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Souness is a terrible pundit. Always a huge mistake to have ex liverpool players being pundits on their games. Their heads are too drilled will tradition etc. Liverpool were beaten last night because they defended like school children. CB's were shocking and Glen Johnson is never a permierleague player in a million years. I'm worried they might try and get Hanlon off us now.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Agree with that the criticism is out of context. He has ability however is very up and down. He is an easy target and Rodgers isn't getting the best out of him. Seems to be set up as a scapegoat for Liverpools poor start to the season. He isn't the only new signing not producing including others who cost more than he did and aren't starting games.
    You only get the best out of him next to another striker. Once sturridge in fit again they will score plenty. Sterling is never a striker and should have been playing as RWB.

Coaching Staff scott7_0(Prague)'s Avatar
    I believe the shirt swapping goes against some internal policy Liverpool implemented, that's the main issue for BR.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore
    I'm worried they might try and get Hanlon off us now.
    Last edited by Mikey; 23-10-2014 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Fixed quotes

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs

I agree theres a bit of a hate campaign against him, but he has been very poor so far. He continually makes the wrong decisions, he rarely looks for team mates, he never looks like scoring, and although its something we all knew, he just doesnt put any work in, even when it isnt going well. When things arent going well for a player, its always best to keep your head down (ie not swapping shirts at HT on the pitch) and to put in that extra bit of effort.

I think the signing of Balotelli was definitely a mistake by Rodgers though, as he just doesnt fit into the style of play they are after. They were never going to replace Suarez, but they could have at least found someone with similar attributes. I think so far Rodgers has proved to be fairly inept when it comes to signing players for that level of club. Apart from Sturridge and possibly Coutinho, most of his signings havent really made any sort of impact on the team, and hes spent a lot of money. Perhaps the biggest worry for them is that hes struggled yet again to solve their defensive problems.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quite funny that a club who defended suarez time and time again are getting a bit irate about a half time shirt swap.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slenj.=] View Post
    Quite funny that a club who defended suarez time and time again are getting a bit irate about a half time shirt swap.
    Agree totally.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Balotelli was a very strange signing. Great ability but to replace Saurez's work rate with Balotelli's was suicide.

Pressure must be building on Rodgers, his signings are questionable and results are not happening.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    Pressure must be building on Rodgers, his signings are questionable and results are not happening.
    The guy had a go at Spurs last year saying they should win the league with the amount they spent. He spent more and they're worse.

Lovren, Manquillo, Allen, Balotelli, Lambert, Markovic, Borini, Can, Mignolet, Allen, Sakho have been poor. I'd only give him pass marks for Sturridge and Coutinho.

He's proven that all you need to be a good manager is Luis Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    The guy had a go at Spurs last year saying they should win the league with the amount they spent. He spent more and they're worse.

Lovren, Manquillo, Allen, Balotelli, Lambert, Markovic, Borini, Can, Mignolet, Allen, Sakho have been poor. I'd only give him pass marks for Sturridge and Coutinho.

Yep, that quote should be coming back to haunt him!

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    I agree with what's being said regarding Liverpool's signings: they've used the Suarez money to sign a number of rather average players. United signed Di Maria and Falcao, Chelsea signed Fabregas and Costa, Arsenal signed Sanchez. Liverpool haven't brought in anybody of the top rank since Suarez left.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    I agree with what's being said regarding Liverpool's signings: they've used the Suarez money to sign a number of rather average players. United signed Di Maria and Falcao, Chelsea signed Fabregas and Costa, Arsenal signed Sanchez. Liverpool haven't brought in anybody of the top rank since Suarez left.

Bottom line, Suarez was pretty much irreplacable and certainly with the signings made, they are nowhere near his class on the pitch.

I've followed Liverpool for my entire life and have rarely seen such talent in a red shirt. However, have rarely seen such an utter BAM with the biting and suicidal stuff he done too.

This said, I take back Suarez and an 18 match ban in place of super Mario who is frankly contributing less than **** all. Widnae even get a game in a pub team.

Signing policy is questionable...and our best players (including those now gone) werent signed by Brendan Rodgers...

Ach, **** it. At least were no Man Utd.

WALK ON YA BASS

ENDOF

Quote Originally Posted by Slenj.=] View Post

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Apart from the fact they have implemented a policy of no shirt swapping, for the life of me I can't see why -which probably explains why I feel the way I do about my next point-
    What on earth is the problem with swapping shirts at half time?
    Firstly, it wasn't done on the field.
    Second, even if it was, so what?
    I don't see it as a sign of submission. Not what so ever. I see it as a sign of 'I want your shirt'

I think the fallout from this is mental

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post

Joe Allen - so poor you've included him twice!

I think there are players in that list who have great potential, but are young and need a run of EPL games to find their feet. Markovic and Manquillo in particular have definite ability and I think it's unfair to say Can has been poor as he has barely played.

I think the Balotelli problem is that the way he plays doesn't suit the way Liverpool played last season. I would have him on the bench to bring on when Liverpool are pounding teams and need strength in the box - the only problem being that doesn't leave a role for Lambert.

The whole situation isn't helped by Sturridge's injury - once he is back and Rodgers finds his best XI, Liverpool will be winning a lot more than they lose once again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Joe Allen - so poor you've included him twice!

I think there are players in that list who have great potential, but are young and need a run of EPL games to find their feet. Markovic and Manquillo in particular have definite ability and I think it's unfair to say Can has been poor as he has barely played.

I think the Balotelli problem is that the way he plays doesn't suit the way Liverpool played last season. I would have him on the bench to bring on when Liverpool are pounding teams and need strength in the box - the only problem being that doesn't leave a role for Lambert.

The whole situation isn't helped by Sturridge's injury - once he is back and Rodgers finds his best XI, Liverpool will be winning a lot more than they lose once again.

I'm sure they all do have potential but for the money they have paid you'd expect them to able to hit the ground running. Potential is cheaper. The poor so far signings total nearly £130m. You don't spend that amount on players hoping they'll one day come good, particularly with 7 of 10 listed already having played in the BPL.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Martini View Post
    I've followed Liverpool for my entire life

OUR best players

Ach, **** it. At least WE'RE no Man Utd.

WALK ON YA BASS

ENDOF
    Where have you followed them to....sky sports like all the other kid on EPL "footy" fans on here.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Bad judgement signjng this boy in the first place. He comes with the bad headlines already written. Not what Liverpool needed at all. Souness or should I say , Sourness, seems to have an awful lot to say for someone, who as an ex manager, was a terrific footballer.

hes only there for the money, will be gone next summer.

Surely the fact that he swapped shirts going down the tunnel where all the Liverpool fans could still se was a huge error by him, shows he has little brains. Rogers thinks he's some guru with these players because he did so much with Suarez but the fact that he bit again shows he was untameable and liable to go off the rails again, so Rogers couldn't really control him, he sees Balotelli as some kind of project.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    16 Million

He is utter mince.

Ballotelli - over rated, overpaid prima donna.