hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

Players who got called "lazy".

While I think there is something in Mibbe's Aye's remarks that "Lazy" is the default criticism for black players, there have been plenty white one's which have suffered the same fate.

Garry O'Connor

Rowan Vine

Alan Gow

Derek Riordan

Paul Cairney

I think this could be an interesting, and educational, wee discussion.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While I think there is something in Mibbe's Aye's remarks that "Lazy" is the default criticism for black players, there have been plenty white one's which have suffered the same fate.

Garry O'Connor

Rowan Vine

Alan Gow

Colin Nish

Derek Riordan

Paul Cairney

I just don't think that's true at all and is, dare I say it, political correctness gone mad

As stated on the main thread, Berbatov is the ultimate lazy ******* and he wasn't black the last time I checked. Nor was Riordan.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    I just don't think that's true at all and is, dare I say it, political correctness gone mad

As stated on the main thread, Berbatov is the ultimate lazy ******* and he wasn't black the last time I checked. Nor was Riordan.
    I don't even know what that means.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

First Team Breakthrough esjorto's Avatar
    Ozil is accused by many as being lazy.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    The king of supposed laziness was undoubtedly the brilliant Ally Mcleod. The guy was a legend in my eyes but a waste of a jersey according to others. The guy oozed class, beer belly or not!

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    No idea where the black players being lazy cliche comes from, not something I've ever heard of or thought of before.

Laziest player I've seen in a Hibs jersey was Mr Unseen Brian Kerr, hooked by Mixu after not bothering his erse marking his man (Anders Svensson?) when he scored in that game against Elfsborg, shrugged his shoulders after Jonesy gave him a bollocking and was promptly subbed, never to play for Hibs again.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar

Garry O'Connor

Rowan Vine

Alan Gow

Derek Riordan

Paul Cairney

Lyndon Andrews wasn't lazy, in fact he was a workhorse if memory serves me right

Oh come on D, I know you are not that stupid so let's not split hairs.

It's an easily attached label for point scoring purposes.

Malonga does look lazy in his effort compared to others - as did Riordan when he played. It's just down to a personal traits and ability and has got **** all to do with race or colour as some try to be portraying it.

Was Claude Makalele lazy? He's black.

Actually, as I read that again, the fact that Berbatov and or anyone else, gets called lazy, doesn't mean it's not the default insult for black players. Or should I say non-white players?

Osbourne, Soares, Benji, Zemamma, Donaldson etc all got called lazy too.

Oh come on D, I know you are not that stupid so let's not split hairs.
    I'm not stupid, but I really don't know what "Political correctness gone mad" means.

That's because it means nothing. As you say, it's a convenient phrase to dismiss any argument which doesn't suit certain viewpoints, like those voiced by the Daily Mail.

Was Claude Makalele lazy? He's black.

I don't know if he was lazy, or was called lazy. That's not the point.

Actually, as I read that again, the fact that Berbatov and or anyone else, gets called lazy, doesn't mean it's not the default insult for black players. Or should I say non-white players?

That's just too stupid to even begin debating against.

You are basically saying that its OK to call a white player lazy but wrong to call a black (or non white) player lazy as it's a 'default' insult?

Bonkers.

They were also called brilliant, superb, fantastic and a whole host of other praise worthy names during their time. Was that wrong?

This is the kind of thread that drives me mad so I'm out.

It's an interesting one that because I was speaking to Clayton Blackmore ex Man U and he was of the opinion that berbatov was the closest Man U have came to cantona since the king left.

You're chucking the word stupid about a bit too freely tonight, Dave.

You are basically saying that its OK to call a white player lazy but wrong to call a black (or non white) player lazy as it's a 'default' insult?
    I haven't said anything of the sort.

Being 'lazy' is (or hopefully was) a widespread default criticism of foreign players, often black. The prejudice was that they couldnt cope with the weather, the pace of the game, the hard work. Remember Ron Atkinson? 'This is what we call in the game a ****ing lazy n####$'.

The fact that some white players are also called lazy doesn't mean the prejudice doesnt exist.

Stevie Archibald, boy was he class though!

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Being 'lazy' is (or hopefully was) a widespread default criticism of foreign players, often black. The prejudice was that they couldnt cope with the weather, the pace of the game, the hard work. Remember Ron Atkinson? 'This is what we call in the game a ****ing lazy n####$'.

The fact that some white players are also called lazy doesn't mean the prejudice doesnt exist.
    I agree - Guys like Modric, Hierro, Forlan, Veron and a whole host of other foreign players had the lazy label tagged to them. My point is that its not just a default 'black' thing as the OP suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post

I found this.

Of course, it proves nothing, but none of this particular journalist's choices as the laziest top 20 are British.

9 out of the top 10, however, are black, with his number one, bizarrely, being Tevez.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Rowan Vine was the laziest player I've seen in a Hibs shirt!

I found this.

Of course, it proves nothing, but none of this particular journalist's choices as the laziest top 20 are British.

9 out of the top 10, however, are black, with his number one, bizarrely, being Tevez.
    That guy looks to be as much a journalist as you or I

I found this.

Bizarre is right. Tevez is one of the most ferocious hard workers in world football.

You'll never prove anything one way or another.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    Rougier definitely one of the laziest players I've seen but also one if the best.

I think linking race and "black" players with being lazy is absolute nonsense.

It is interesting though to think of footballers from certain cultures and the cultures that exist in their own countries, and I'm highlighting this mainly in relation to British strikers (regardless of ethnicity) and what is expected of them.

I remember Freddy Kanoute being interviewed when he was playing in Spain and he was asked why he thought he was doing so well for Valencia (?) when he didn't exactly excel at West Ham or Spurs. He basically said that in Spain he was expected to hang around the box and when a chance came along he was fresh to burst into action and take it which suited his strengths. In England he was expected to cover every blade of grass, get stuck into challenges, close defenders down in addition to scoring and creating chances - which did not suit him so much.

It may explain why some players come to Britsh football and excel, whereas some with big reputations toil.

Malonga's new to British football and is probably still adapting to what's expected of him and his body language can make him look casual at times. But he seems to be able to spark into life at just the right times in games too. It'll be interesting to see how he progresses over time and whether the extra workload will add to or detract from his game.

I also remember thinking when I read that Kanoute interview that it sounded like Spanish football would have suited Deeks down to the ground if that was what was expected of a striker out there - he is the best natural finisher I've seen. It beggars belief that somehow people at Easter Road wanted and expected more from him and claimed that he was lazy. Big GOC was there to do his donkey work for him!

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Beastie didn't break a lot of sweat. Neiter did Stevie Cowan.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    Beastie didn't break a lot of sweat. Neiter did Stevie Cowan.
    Uncanny! I was thinking of these 2 before reaching the end of this thread. Joe McBride Jnr was also one from the 80's who often got stick for perceived lazyness.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    Uncanny! I was thinking of these 2 before reaching the end of this thread. Joe McBride Jnr was also one from the 80's who often got stick for perceived lazyness.
    Ha ha . So was aye . Also add Dougie Bell to that list .

Ggtth

I'm not confusing laziness with ability when I say I think Pat McGinlay was one of the laziest players for Hibs. He was a good player when he wanted to be, and to be fair to him he was played out of position from time to time. Scored some great goals for us, and definitely had ability, but I used to stand in the east just back from where his wife would be standing, and she used to shout at him all the time, to the effect of "McGinlay, get yer f***** arse in gear". And before anybody asks, I don't know why she was in the terracing when she would surely have got 1 of the posh seats instead. She was really good looking too, but that's not got anything to do with it !

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    I'm not confusing laziness with ability when I say I think Pat McGinlay was one of the laziest players for Hibs. He was a good player when he wanted to be, and to be fair to him he was played out of position from time to time. Scored some great goals for us, and definitely had ability, but I used to stand in the east just back from where his wife would be standing, and she used to shout at him all the time, to the effect of "McGinlay, get yer f***** arse in gear". And before anybody asks, I don't know why she was in the terracing when she would surely have got 1 of the posh seats instead. She was really good looking too, but that's not got anything to do with it !
    Are you sure this isn't some sort of, recurrent, erotic fantasy you are having?

Testimonial Due
    Aye and none of you have seen Ally McLeod play - who was white fat and lgenuinely lazy. But still found time to score 99 goals from midfield (without moving a muscle).

However it is a horrible and lazy stereotype to assume black or north african players are lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    The king of supposed laziness was undoubtedly the brilliant Ally Mcleod. The guy was a legend in my eyes but a waste of a jersey according to others. The guy oozed class, beer belly or not!
    Agreed. He had a laid back appearance which was deceptive. Jim Baxter could likewise look disinterested but was one of the finest ever to play the game.