hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iceland

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304

Iceland

Firstly, this isn't any kind of assault on our own national side who have undergone a renaissance under the stewardship of Gordon Strachan. We look much sharper, competent and fitter as a side who are genuine competitors in games these days...I still worry ahead of tonight's game but the progress has been undeniable.

However, watching Iceland last night dismantle the Netherlands with a stellar exhibition in counter-attacking football was a joy to behold. A nation of c.300,000 people have advanced to become one of the shining lights of European football in recent years after totally overhauling their own domestic system and putting significant effort into promoting and advancing junior, grassroot football. They tore out all of their grass pitches to ensure play could occur in even the harshest of Arctic conditions by installing artificial pitches and extensive indoor facilities. They have a superb track record of advancing players from their U21 side into their main national side as they're trained and developed continually in a system that commits to advancement.

We've currently go an excellent side with a lot of young players in it and we have some promising starlets in our U21 side but I can't help but feel the SFA need to do more - the total revolution of the Icelandic FA at the grassroots level has seen them benefiting considerably by bringing through some serious talent and instilling some wonderful footballing ability.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Honestly thought this was going to be food related.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Firstly, this isn't any kind of assault on our own national side who have undergone a renaissance under the stewardship of Gordon Strachan. We look much sharper, competent and fitter as a side who are genuine competitors in games these days...I still worry ahead of tonight's game but the progress has been undeniable.

However, watching Iceland last night dismantle the Netherlands with a stellar exhibition in counter-attacking football was a joy to behold. A nation of c.300,000 people have advanced to become one of the shining lights of European football in recent years after totally overhauling their own domestic system and putting significant effort into promoting and advancing junior, grassroot football. They tore out all of their grass pitches to ensure play could occur in even the harshest of Arctic conditions by installing artificial pitches and extensive indoor facilities. They have a superb track record of advancing players from their U21 side into their main national side as they're trained and developed continually in a system that commits to advancement.

We've currently go an excellent side with a lot of young players in it and we have some promising starlets in our U21 side but I can't help but feel the SFA need to do more - the total revolution of the Icelandic FA at the grassroots level has seen them benefiting considerably by bringing through some serious talent and instilling some wonderful footballing ability.
    It's incredible what Iceland have achieved.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    It's incredible what Iceland have achieved.
    What have they achieved ? Genuine question .

Ggtth

Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post

Ggtth

They beat the Netherlands.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

Ggtth
    An ever improving national team on a population about 3/4 of Edinburghs. They also look likely to qualify for the next major tournament. I'd say that's an achievement.

They have pace and direct runners throughout the team, put those ingredients into a competent enough system and it's difficult to stop. Will be interesting to see how far they can go in that group.

They also have a decent coach in lagerbäck

Left by mutual consent!
    Had them on my bet last night. Sadly, Pat's Shamrock Rovers let it down!

An ever improving national team on a population about 3/4 of Edinburghs. They also look likely to qualify for the next major tournament. I'd say that's an achievement.

I hadn't realised their population was THAT small - incredible. Was only a few years ago you expected Iceland to get hammered off almost everyone they played... they had Guðjohnsen and that was about it. Great progress and good luck to them.

Guðjohnsen is a free agent by the way....

First Team Regular over the line's Avatar
    And they still find the time to make all them prawn rings, £1 pizzas , black forest gateuxs etc! Amazing nation! :)

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    See what happens when you employ Peter Andre. Petrie!!!!!

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Iceland as a whole is an amazing country, they were the only country to jail the bankers after the last banking debacle, they sacked every politician and voted in a group of normal citizens to write a new constitution for the country, all to the horror of the capitalist elite around the world, everyone said they would fail, but yet their economy has recovered faster than any other country hit by the banking crisis. I also have gained an excellent client from Iceland, who is very nice and buys lots from me :green grin I think they're example should be followed everywhere!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Sitting top of their group with 9 points from 3 games and +8 goal difference!!
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Iceland delivers.

Quote Originally Posted by vince1973 View Post
    Iceland as a whole is an amazing country, they were the only country to jail the bankers after the last banking debacle, they sacked every politician and voted in a group of normal citizens to write a new constitution for the country, all to the horror of the capitalist elite around the world, everyone said they would fail, but yet their economy has recovered faster than any other country hit by the banking crisis. I also have gained an excellent client from Iceland, who is very nice and buys lots from me :green grin I think they're example should be followed everywhere!
    All that and some people still won't give them the time of day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0zEOy-iM6k

Iceland also has the most Nobel Prize winners per capita of any country.

Not to mention Sigur Ros.

I remember being fuming when we only just snuck past them in 1985 away in the World Cup qualifier. They were total, complete and utter minnows. They've been bubbling away for about fifteen years, in fairness. We got quite a weak version of them in the Euro 2004 qualifiers.

Good luck to them, although I really would prefer that they cut out whaling.

Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    Not to mention Sigur Ros.

I remember being fuming when we only just snuck past them in 1985 away in the World Cup qualifier. They were total, complete and utter minnows. They've been bubbling away for about fifteen years, in fairness. We got quite a weak version of them in the Euro 2004 qualifiers.

Good luck to them, although I really would prefer that they cut out whaling.
    Yeh, a couple of years ago they had a good youth team, it looks like they've matured into a good 1st team. I know 1 or 2 people who've been to Iceland and liked it, I wouldn't go because they eat horse meat but that's just a personal thing for me because I donate to a charity for horses.

Iceland has 8 Worlds Stongest Man titles, second only to the USA. To put that in perspective, the USA has about 1000 times the population of Iceland. So if you ever need any big boulders picking up, or if you've got broken down truck that needs pulling somewhere, find yourself an Icelander! :)

Great thread for the iceman lol 😝

At Easter Road we play...

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    They beat the Netherlands.
    So did Scotland when McFadden scored

Quote Originally Posted by S4uzee View Post
    So did Scotland when McFadden scored
    They soon sorted that out in the return leg though . That was a cracking dutch team aswell BTW.

Iceland U21's were a joy to watch when Scotland played them at Easter Road a few years back. Couple of cracking goals too. The young boy that was at Aberdeen scored from the halfway line I seem to remember.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Well were still ranked above them on the fifa world rankings
    29 to there 34 .

Ggtth

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post

I presume you don't know any of the good work Mark Wotte is doing? Performance school, regional academy's, 10,00hrs etc..

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shan_lambert View Post
    Iceland U21's were a joy to watch when Scotland played them at Easter Road a few years back. Couple of cracking goals too. The young boy that was at Aberdeen scored from the halfway line I seem to remember.
    Chris Maguire straight from kick off.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    All that and some people still won't give them the time of day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0zEOy-iM6k
    What he meant to say was I hate " Eyjafjallajökull", but it wouldnae trip off his tongue lol.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

First Team Breakthrough Mathias Jack's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GazA1875

Ggtth
    Reached the play offs for the World Cup not too long ago...

Ggtth
    They gave us Bjork ;)

That aside, its an amazing place and I'd highly recommend anyone to travel there. Easyjet fly from Edinburgh airport really cheap although it can be a bit expensive when you get there.