hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poppy banner

Left by mutual consent!

Poppy banner

Warning flag debate. Mate has asked me to take his large banner - Lest we forget... Hearts did not pay for their poppies - to the upcoming derby. Previously, it was taken down at the Oct derby last year but he has email confirmation from the club that it is ok to do so.

Feel it should be flown as such issue, IMO, we have been too soft on with The Hearts showing once again that crime does indeed pay.

Thoughts?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Not a fan of using this kind of material to get at them. Would rather just beat them on the pitch and then give it tight.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenArmyyy! View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not a fan of using this kind of material to get at them. Would rather just beat them on the pitch and then give it tight.
    Would quite happily see both, to be fair.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    I think, given how much they play on the glorious dead, it is fully justified for us, or any other club, to publicly show our feelings towards their hypocrisy.

Both for me as well, they got away with it virtually scot-free and take great joy in rubbing it in the faces of the people they robbed.

Heinous club and fans.

As much as I feel it's an issue that should be highlighted much more than it currently is, I think certainly using the "lest we forget" phrasing is, at best, in poor taste.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    As much as I feel it's an issue that should be highlighted much more than it currently is, I think certainly using the "lest we forget" phrasing is, at best, in poor taste.
    Agree, you didnae pay for your poppies would suffice. I take every opportunity to highlight this so long as the double standards exist.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member _hucks_'s Avatar
    Do we really need to use remembrance for point scoring?

Quote Originally Posted by _hucks_ View Post
    Agree, the problem is that the Yam have claimed it in a smug self congratulatory way which is not consistent with their recent deeds so its hard to blame anyone looking to highlight the hypocrisy

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Fine by me. Nothing wrong with highlighting Hertz nasty recent history.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    Fine by me. Nothing wrong with highlighting Hertz nasty recent history.
    Too right.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Pretty much anything that gets it up those perverts is fine with me.

Don't have anything against such a banner as such, although I do find the recent oneupsmanship from both sides around poppies etc a bit distasteful, but you just know the press will paint us as the disresepctful bad guys if it happens.

Best left alone imo as they did, eventually, have the poppy bill paid for them.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Any other year but this one IMO.

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    That`s my view on it too.

A banner with a list of all the people they shafted would come across better and make a much bigger point imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Don't have anything against such a banner as such, although I do find the recent oneupsmanship from both sides around poppies etc a bit distasteful, but you just know the press will paint us as the disresepctful bad guys if it happens.

Best left alone imo as they did, eventually, have the poppy bill paid for them.
    The macraes battalion trust were a creditor as well I believe (?) Did the money that was resting in the yams accounts on admin ever reach them then?

Sir Matt Busby

Would rather we just beat them tbh. Think it's a bit trivial to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious St Pat View Post
    Warning flag debate. Mate has asked me to take his large banner - Lest we forget... Hearts did not pay for their poppies - to the upcoming derby. Previously, it was taken down at the Oct derby last year but he has email confirmation from the club that it is ok to do so.

Feel it should be flown as such issue, IMO, we have been too soft on with The Hearts showing once again that crime does indeed pay.

Thoughts?
    IMO, it's definitely not in good taste to use war sacrifices for point scoring, no matter how low the other side sunk.
    We should be above that.

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    IMO, it's definitely not in good taste to use war sacrifices for point scoring, no matter how low the other side sunk.
    We should be above that.
    Agree with this. Nobody looking in is going to sympathise with the message in the banner here.

If the point of the banner is to highlight the fact that Hearts got away with some shameless shafting of a great many people, charities etc. then this won`t work - the debate will be all about whether or not the banner is in good taste, not what it says. A better way to do it would be to have a large number of small banners/signs with the name of each company who was shafted and the amount they were owed and have different people hold them up around the stadium. The list is so long that it would turn into a full stadium display... That`s a massive task though and nobody`s going to do it.

When all`s said and done, probably best to just leave it (all imho).

First Team Breakthrough Smiggy 7-0's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green Goblin View Post
    Agree with this. Nobody looking in is going to sympathise with the message in the banner here.

If the point of the banner is to highlight the fact that Hearts got away with some shameless shafting of a great many people, charities etc. then this won`t work - the debate will be all about whether or not the banner is in good taste, not what it says. A better way to do it would be to have a large number of small banners/signs with the name of each company who was shafted and the amount they were owed and have different people hold them up around the stadium. The list is so long that it would turn into a full stadium display... That`s a massive task though and nobody`s going to do it.

When all`s said and done, probably best to just leave it (all imho).
    Everyone knows what they have done, let's just get a team on the park to stuff it right up them.

Definitely agree that the use of that phrase isn't the best. In fact, a public display mentioning poppies doesn't really sit well either.

Questioning their morals and listing the people they've ripped off and lied to is like shooting fish in a barrel. There are dozens of other examples we could use and any mention of poppies at this time of year should be about one thing: respect.

Poor taste IMO.

Just wondering when your mate received permission for such a banner to be displayed? Given that a drum and Hibs flags were banned in some sections of ER today, I would find it baffling if this was allowed, TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious St Pat View Post

Thoughts?
    They should be reminded at every opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by HibbiesandtheBaddies View Post
    They should be reminded at every opportunity.
    There are other ways to remind them of their wrong-doings though.

If we try and score points by using negative language regarding such a subject then it's quite distasteful in my opinion. People say that they are trying to score points by mentioning their stuff 100 years ago but that isn't point scoring or attacking anyone else. It's a legitimate part of their history which they are entitled to celebrate and should be left alone...even if we feel they are exaggerating.

It's time for class when it comes to things like this.

Left by mutual consent!
    I remember seeing a large Hearts banner in the away end at ER some years ago telling all and sundry that they were McCrae's Battalion. Oh how they lorded it over us in their honour of their fallen heroes. This occurred before they stiffed the tax man, and her good self the Queen.

They thought then that others in Edinburgh had not done enough to warrant their honours.

Lest "they" forget.

Edinburgh's 7th Battalion A and D companies, and all others, may you rest in peace.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Petty point scoring with silly banners doesn't interest me one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by _hucks_ View Post
    It's not for me ,My Father was a Prisoner of War to the Japanese after the fall of Singapore so Remembrance Day and Poppies have different memories for me

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    We should be above that.
    My thoughts also

reeks of Soapie****in*****

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Petty point scoring with silly banners doesn't interest me one bit.
    Snap. The phrase "Lest we Forget" should be respected and not used in some sort of petty football rivalry contest. We are better than that surely.
    Last edited by Golden Bear; 12-10-2014 at 08:43 AM.