hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Danny Handling - Midfield

Iv heard he has played a couple of times here for the under 21s of late, how has he been getting on and do you think he could play their for the first team?

Iv heard rave reviews from the rangers game midweek

And what role is he playing? Is he sitting infront of the back 4 and building it from the back or box to box?

I think hes more than capabale skill wise and technically to play in there, he would just have to learn the defensive side, has a cracking work ethic though

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    I can see him turning out to be a similar player to Dean Shiels.

Did he not play as an attacking mid against The Rangers before he was sent off in that diddy wee cup game.

First Team Regular steviehibsleith's Avatar
    I have watched many under 20s development games, people really shouldnt read too much into the results or how individuals played . The simplest explanation is Danny Handling may have been playing against a 16/17 yo midfield who are developing or a player just coming back from injury like Kevin Thomson at Dundee .
    I am much happier to see a lot of younger players being pushed in to play even if we lose simply because they will learn/progress rather than sitting on the bench watching older players coast it.

He has Always been technically good enough but its the physical side to it that lets him down as he is not strong enough or quick enough. Hope the coaches see this and make progress. I think most of our youngsters that have came through the youth system are not in a good enough physical condition to be playing first team.

@hibs.net private member
    Danny is one of the most technically gifted players at the club. Fully believe that the next four years will see him fulfill his undoubted potential. Stubbs and his coaching staff have recognised his talent very early in their Hibs career and will look to improve him as a team player and find a concrete position for him in the near future. I've spent the last wee while telling my mates how good Danny is, we have a great player in him and with the correct coaching he will only get better.

I remember in the away game against Motherwell (was it the 6-6 game or was that too long ago?)Danny scored a goal where he made a nice run into the box and slotted it in.That's about the last time anyone made a decent run to get on the end of a move without having been involved earlier.Think he's got a good brain just needs a bit of conditioning and support from the terraces.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I remember in the away game against Motherwell (was it the 6-6 game or was that too long ago?)Danny scored a goal where he made a nice run into the box and slotted it in.That's about the last time anyone made a decent run to get on the end of a move without having been involved earlier.Think he's got a good brain just needs a bit of conditioning and support from the terraces.
    He got the last in a 4-1 win at Fir Park a while ago now but you are correct in what you say about supporting runs from midfield etc

Quote Originally Posted by Billychaotic182 View Post
    I can see him turning out to be a similar player to Dean Shiels.
    funny, i think he is a Tam McManus....hides through games but is capable of hell of a lot more.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenArmy1875 View Post
    He has Always been technically good enough but its the physical side to it that lets him down as he is not strong enough or quick enough. Hope the coaches see this and make progress. I think most of our youngsters that have came through the youth system are not in a good enough physical condition to be playing first team.
    Think another problem was that the first team played a totally different style of play to U20s meaning they had to adapt their play as well as rising to the physical side. Hopefully AS will sort this by having a pattern for all teams to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by TowerHibs View Post
    funny, i think he is a Tam McManus....hides through games but is capable of hell of a lot more.
    very very unfair. the boy works hard in games. lots of stuff done off the ball.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Think another problem was that the first team played a totally different style of play to U20s meaning they had to adapt their play as well as rising to the physical side. Hopefully AS will sort this by having a pattern for all teams to follow.
    I don't think AS has any responsibility for the U20s. I think McBride reports to May who reports to Craig. That is the one thing you can't say TB didn't do - he had MM berating the U20s to hoof it like the first team!

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    very very unfair. the boy works hard in games. lots of stuff done off the ball.
    I've posted this many times previously, Danny is one of the most intelligent footballers I've seen in a long time - his off the ball positional sense and running is fantastic and I'd urge supporters to watch 5 minutes of his movement in a game.

Never a midfielder though - he is, again as I'll always bang on about, a striker. He does not have the physical presence to maintain a presence in midfield, the game passes him by there. Up top he uses his football brain well and manages to get in between defenders, ghosting in and losing markers. He is also a very clinical finisher.

For me he needed games up front, and a few on the spin.......not played as Pat played him, midfield, wide, central, etc. Up top, in a two, second striker.....his best position for me.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    I don't think AS has any responsibility for the U20s. I think McBride reports to May who reports to Craig. That is the one thing you can't say TB didn't do - he had MM berating the U20s to hoof it like the first team!
    The point still stands though that Craig (rather than Stubbs) will have all teams following the same style. It was stupid to have developing players playing a different style from the first team.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    I've been at the last 2 home under 20 games, where Danny has played as the holding midfielder. I really do think he CAN play this position

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    The point still stands though that Craig (rather than Stubbs) will have all teams following the same style. It was stupid to have developing players playing a different style from the first team.

I remember years ago getting a few sessions from a coach who had been at Ajax PH........it was not so much being coached the same way as the first team, more technique, positioning, role in the side and knowing it, playing to strengths.........but it was sessions absolutely based on technical ability and skill/footwork. Passing drills were quick, short, high tempo.

He reiterated that the result did not matter in youth development - what mattered was improving your technique and knowing how to play to your and your teams strength. That is why you see our youth sides in Scotland doing well but not our national side or indeed our top teams - European coaching is based and centred around skill and technique......the physical side of the game comes with maturity and age. Skill and pace (with work ethic) will always always win over braun and power.

We get totally engulfed in the result here in Scotland.......we should be more focused on the skill and technique of a player.

Coaching Staff
    ...to clarify I mean that our U14's-17's do well abroad in tourneys because we insist on strength and the physical side of the game......whereas other countries, in my opinion, want to see the game played in a more skilful, purist way. Skill and technique overcomes the physical game in adult years.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    We really need to find a settled position for Danny or he's going to coast through his career doing nothing really of note. We've had him out on the wing, attacking midfield, number 10, second striker, main striker, sitting deep in midfield for the 20's(apparently). Clearly a skilful player but needs a settled position. Not sure myself where that should be tbh

Quote Originally Posted by andrew70 View Post
    He got the last in a 4-1 win at Fir Park a while ago now but you are correct in what you say about supporting runs from midfield etc
    0-4. Back in the days when we could occasionally keep a clean sheet

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    I've posted this many times previously, Danny is one of the most intelligent footballers I've seen in a long time - his off the ball positional sense and running is fantastic and I'd urge supporters to watch 5 minutes of his movement in a game.

Never a midfielder though - he is, again as I'll always bang on about, a striker. He does not have the physical presence to maintain a presence in midfield, the game passes him by there. Up top he uses his football brain well and manages to get in between defenders, ghosting in and losing markers. He is also a very clinical finisher.

For me he needed games up front, and a few on the spin.......not played as Pat played him, midfield, wide, central, etc. Up top, in a two, second striker.....his best position for me.
    A bit like Shiels then, he is worthless in the team making these runs and having this movement if there is noone capable on the park to find him. Look at Shiels against us for the Huns....it's like having a 10th man.

I am not doubting there is a player, but being a ghost and getting into potentially good decisions wont help in this league and how we play. Needs to be physical, needs to drop short and get involved.Not had a sniff at 1st team since the end of August, his style just doesnt fit

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by TowerHibs View Post
    A bit like Shiels then, he is worthless in the team making these runs and having this movement if there is noone capable on the park to find him. Look at Shiels against us for the Huns....it's like having a 10th man.

I am not doubting there is a player, but being a ghost and getting into potentially good decisions wont help in this league and how we play. Needs to be physical, needs to drop short and get involved.Not had a sniff at 1st team since the end of August, his style just doesnt fit
    Again, I 'd agree with a lot you say, however I have also been on record as saying our midfield balance is all wrong, has been for four seasons, and we have players like Craig who offer incredibly little centrally - one paced, slow, dithery and no drive - Dylan McGeouch however could remedy that as he wants and likes to play central. Even Sam Stanton once he gets form and confidence back.

Our midfield are laboured - that is why we don't score many from that area in my opinion. Safe passes, square passes, no confident movement and pace.

Get a couple of players like that, play Danny up top - he'll score for fun. Play Craig and Robertson together in there.......we will continually struggle to press games for the 90 minutes. Teams defend in numbers and don't really need to work that hard to defend square passing along the lines. Pace, penetration - look at Cummings and his directness, teams panic and stand off, scared to commit. Watch next time Liam Craig gets the ball........9 times out of ten he looks to shift it rather than look up, beat a man, take it into the opposition box. Same as Roberston to a degree, however I like Robbo purely for the fact that he does try and get forward when he can.

Craig isn't that good a footballer for me - I know that opinions differ on him, just never ever rated the lad. The Saints team that he did well in did well, again for me, down to Jody Morris and Murray Davidson having an excellent spell of form - and busy players up top. I know the thread is about DH, but for me we need a far far more busy and creative midfield.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    I've been at the last 2 home under 20 games, where Danny has played as the holding midfielder. I really do think he CAN play this position
    I agree. He's technically very good but I'm not sure he's that effective in forward positions. I think prompting things from deeper might be something he could do.

First Team Breakthrough since90plustwo's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FIN1875
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Was this also not the last time he scored a LEAGUE goal for us? his other two iirc were in cups. i dont feel you can single a player out for priase like that when it happened two years ago and hes not done it since. Comparisons to dean shiels are also a bit innacurate as deano regularly scored goals, 24 from 117 league games so roughly a goal every 5 games, where danny has 1 league goal in 39. Its all and well having players that make these nice runs and looking good on the ball but there has to be an end product. Players that do the odd good thing here and there but never really deliver are part of the reason we were relegated last year, not for a minute saying that handling is the reason we were relegated, but players have to do more for me to deserve a place inthe team.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by NadeAteMyLunch! View Post
    👍 my memory ain't very good. It was, though, an extremely good performance from what I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    I agree. He's technically very good but I'm not sure he's that effective in forward positions. I think prompting things from deeper might be something he could do.
    He played the playmaker role against The Rangers before being sent off and was very effective doing so, thought he looked very comfortable in that position.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew70 View Post
    👍 my memory ain't very good. It was, though, an extremely good performance from what I remember.
    One of my favourite away days from recent years. Was a great night!

@hibs.net private member
    One of my favourite away days from recent years. Was a great night!
    Snap

Allez Allez au was beltin out all night and place was absolutely rockin

@hibs.net private member Macaroon's Avatar
    Even then, Well had a goal chopped off that arguably was over the line.

@hibs.net private member R'Albin's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Razza96
    Quote Originally Posted by CabbagePatch View Post
    Even then, Well had a goal chopped off that arguably was over the line.
    IIRC that was them that had the goal chopped off and it was at 0-0

@hibs.net private member Macaroon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R'Albin View Post
    IIRC that was them that had the goal chopped off and it was at 0-0
    Suggest a quick skim read of my post again mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk