Page 46 of 229 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 6851

Thread: Best tv

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    George Best All by Himself on bbc2 now.
    What did you make of it?

Seemed to me that it all started going wrong around the time he list Busby as his guiding hand - maybe he needed that strong, father figure to keep him right.

Afyer that he came across as a bit of self indulgent, narcissistic a-hole i thought.

Also, how can someone who effectively retired in his early to mid 20s habing won only two league titles and one European cup be considered as the greatest player ever? Seems a bit odd to me, although admittedlt there is so little footage of him.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    What did you make of it?

Seemed to me that it all started going wrong around the time he list Busby as his guiding hand - maybe he needed that strong, father figure to keep him right.

Afyer that he came across as a bit of self indulgent, narcissistic a-hole i thought.

Also, how can someone who effectively retired in his early to mid 20s habing won only two league titles and one European cup be considered as the greatest player ever? Seems a bit odd to me, although admittedlt there is so little footage of him.
    Ive read a lot about his career and I thought the doc was extremely accurate and well researched. My first hibs home game was also his home debut, December 1st 1979,easter Road was almost double its normal attendance, you could actually
    feel the excitement in the school and in town all week, the only way I can describe it is if Beckham signed for Hibs ten years ago. He was more a pop star than a footballer. But drink consumed him.

It's the done thing to say that he went off the rails when Busby left, but I think Busby could have done more. I'm not sure Best respected him as much as some journos would have you believe. When George came to Edinburgh is a great read about his time here, which was punctuated by some brilliant performances in amongst the dross.

My favourite bit on the documentary was when the San Diego player was describing how Best was going mad at the ref just prior to that famous goal where he dribbled past about five defenders in the box. The context was '**** all of you, I'm going to show you five seconds of what I was capable of once upon a time'.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 03-07-2017 at 10:54 AM.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Ive read a lot about his career and I thought the doc was extremely accurate and well researched. My first hibs home game was also his home debut, December 1st 1979,easter Road was almost double its normal attendance, you could actually
    feel the excitement in the school and in town all week, the only way I can describe it is if Beckham signed for Hibs ten years ago. He was more a pop star than a footballer. But drink consumed him.

It's the done thing to say that he went off the rails when Busby left, but I think Busby could have done more. I'm not sure Best respected him as much as some journos would have you believe. When George came to Edinburgh is a great read about his time here, which was punctuated by some brilliant performances in amongst the dross.

My favourite bit on the documentary was when the San Diego player was describing how Best was going mad at the ref just prior to that famous goal where he dribbled past about five defenders in the box. The context was '**** all of you, I'm going to show you five seconds of what I was capable of once upon a time'.
    Yeah that was unbelievable to see - like the best player in thr playground getting annoyed!

Good doc, was just very sad but clearly the shy boy from belfast is only half the story of a complex character.

I dont know anymore than the prog showed, so maybe you are right about busby - would fit his generation to be more 'pull yourself together' than arm around the shoulder i suppose.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Just stumbled across this thread.

Some great shows like The Sopranos and Breaking Bad being mentioned but I haven't seen anything about The Wire.

Amazing tv. Cops n drugs scene in Baltimore in the 90s. It's a slow burner but very clever and 'real'.

Check out some reviews or dive right in. Well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

Some great shows like The Sopranos and Breaking Bad being mentioned but I haven't seen anything about The Wire.

Amazing tv. Cops n drugs scene in Baltimore in the 90s. It's a slow burner but very clever and 'real'.

I watched the 1st episode years ago and for whatever reason never went back to it dunno why?how high would you rank it?

@hibs.net private member

The Wire was one of the most outstanding piece of TV that I've ever seen. It takes a few episodes to get your head around the authentic street lingo, but beyond that it was as good as anything I've seen...Sopranos, MadMen, Breaking Bad included.... must go an watch it again sometime...

^^Agreed 100%

Watch the first few episodes with subtitles until you get used to the chat, it really helps!!

My favs are Sopranos, BB and the Wire.

If forced to choose I'd go with the Sooranos as no 1 but it's certainly up there.

I just started watching Mad Men again from the start. It's up there too!!

@hibs.net private member
    ^^Agreed 100%

Watch the first few episodes with subtitles until you get used to the chat, it really helps!!

My favs are Sopranos, BB and the Wire.

If forced to choose I'd go with the Sooranos as no 1 but it's certainly up there.

If I had to choose I'd go BB...but those are all right on my top list...ahead of everything else

Really need a new series that matches these!

Recently I've enjoyed BCSaul, American Gods and Fargo. Billions was good and Game of Thrones is almost back but other than that I'm struggling to find something so gripping.

Going to try the original Twin Peaks, I've never seen it and don't know anything about it at all but figured I should watch them before the new one.

Any other suggestions?

@hibs.net private member

Recently I've enjoyed BCSaul, American Gods and Fargo. Billions was good and Game of Thrones is almost back but other than that I'm struggling to find something so gripping.

Going to try the original Twin Peaks, I've never seen it and don't know anything about it at all but figured I should watch them before the new one.

Any other suggestions?

Saul is top quality writing....Im watching Bloodline (first series)...mid tempo paced, and some good performances...I would say it's EPL not Champions League material.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty

Any other suggestions?
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
    Curb Your Enthusiasm

Comedies. Both brilliant.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
    Curb Your Enthusiasm

Comedies. Both brilliant.
    Curb is my all time favourite comedy. Bar none. Outstanding

Always sunny didn't quite connect with me - many love it though

Loved Curb. Will check out Sunny, it gets great reviews and it's got Danny de Vito!

Testimonial Due

Any other suggestions?
    I Agree those three series are among the best ever, but id also throw Band of Brothers in there too - i dont think ive ever felt so emotionally involved amd moved by tv (albeit it is a true story). Brilliant acting, each episode has a slightly different focus, beautiful score, cinematic production and an amazing ensemble cast.

One of my favs ever.

On a completely different tack, just started arrested development on netflix - first few episodes are pretty funny.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Curb is my all time favourite comedy. Bar none. Outstanding

Always sunny didn't quite connect with me - many love it though
    New series of Curb starting later this year

@hibs.net private member
    New series of Curb starting later this year

i know...been a few years...will have to watch the last series again in advance of it...

I'm stuck in a hotel with work the next 2 weeks.

iPad pro and Netflix, sorted!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Season 3 of The Leftovers started last night, first two episodes were excellent.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Season 3 of The Leftovers started last night, first two episodes were excellent.
    Think this is the final season, I think I'm going to wait till it's finished and binge watch. Loved the first two series.

Any other suggestions?
    True Detective is very good as is American Horror Story.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 05-07-2017 at 10:38 PM.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    True Detective is very good as is American Horror Story.
    Apart from the last series of American Horror Story, that was crap.

I Agree those three series are among the best ever, but id also throw Band of Brothers in there too - i dont think ive ever felt so emotionally involved amd moved by tv (albeit it is a true story). Brilliant acting, each episode has a slightly different focus, beautiful score, cinematic production and an amazing ensemble cast.

One of my favs ever.

On a completely different tack, just started arrested development on netflix - first few episodes are pretty funny.
    For me BOB is in a different league from anything else I've seen. Not just the quality of it or the fact it's real but as you say the way it grips you emotionally. I always have a tear in my eye at end of the last episode. Reminds me of the stories my grandad used to tell me when I was young, unfortunately when I got old enough and became fascinated by WWII it was too late to hear such stories.

Talking of the Wire, gang culture is another thing that I find interesting so that's always been one I say I'll watch but not got round to it yet.
    Last edited by frazeHFC; 06-07-2017 at 08:37 AM.

Apart from the last series of American Horror Story, that was crap.
    6 out of 7 is a good effort though.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    6 out of 7 is a good effort though.
    5 out of 6 you mean

I was so disappointed in the last series though, seemed to be all over the place. I only stuck with it because I'd enjoyed the other series so much.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    For me BOB is in a different league from anything else I've seen. Not just the quality of it or the fact it's real but as you say the way it grips you emotionally. I always have a tear in my eye at end of the last episode. Reminds me of the stories my grandad used to tell me when I was young, unfortunately when I got old enough and became fascinated by WWII it was too late to hear such stories.

Talking of the Wire, gang culture is another thing that I find interesting so that's always been one I say I'll watch but not got round to it yet.
    Yeah, the episode when it reveals the real characters, definite tear to eye. Like you i think its prob because i remember my papa talking about the war, and so i relate it to him. We are the ladt generation that will have that direct link.

5 out of 6 you mean

I was so disappointed in the last series though, seemed to be all over the place. I only stuck with it because I'd enjoyed the other series so much.
    Couldnae be arsed checking before I posted! :-)

Yeah, the episode when it reveals the real characters, definite tear to eye. Like you i think its prob because i remember my papa talking about the war, and so i relate it to him. We are the ladt generation that will have that direct link.
    The concentration camp ep had the tears streaming down my face.

Quite enjoying Ackley Bridge on channel 4 just now and The Loch on STV has been decent. Also been watching Fearless but finding it a bit of a drudge.

Yep it's a shame really, only a handful of the 140 odd original members of Easy company are still alive. Only realised recently that the box-set I have has a 80 min documentary with it. Extended interviews with the real people etc, going to give it a watch soon.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    On sky U.K.?