hibs.net Messageboard

Page 206 of 229 FirstFirst ... 106156196204205206207208216 ... LastLast
Results 6,151 to 6,180 of 6858

Thread: Best tv

@hibs.net private member
    3 episodes in to Silo which is on Apple TV quite enjoying it so far a really good cast and so far so good on the story, always feel these sci-fi ones can loose you quite quickly but I’ve enjoyed what I’ve seen

2. Log in to remove the advert

Last King of the Cross looks like it's got a bit of potential, starts on Sky Max on Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    3 episodes in to Silo which is on Apple TV quite enjoying it so far a really good cast and so far so good on the story, always feel these sci-fi ones can loose you quite quickly but I’ve enjoyed what I’ve seen
    Agree, it's been decent.

Just watched the first couple of episodes of Malpractice, Niamh Algar seems to be good in everything she appears in.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    I watched 'Air' last night, it's on Prime. Story of how Nike signed Michael Jordon. Well worth a watch. Great cast.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Last King of the Cross looks like it's got a bit of potential, starts on Sky Max on Thursday.
    What do you think Hutchy ? Im quite liking it so far

@hibs.net private member
    Looking forward to The Gallows Poll, starting on 31st May on BBC 2

The Gallows Pole recounts the true story of a gang of weavers and land-workers in the Cragg Valley in Yorkshire in the late 18th century who embezzle the Crown by clipping gold coins and using their fragments to mint new coins, a criminal activity then punishable by death.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    What do you think Hutchy ? Im quite liking it so far
    I've not started it yet, not been in the house much over the last few days.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar T Grouch View Post
    I watched 'Air' last night, it's on Prime. Story of how Nike signed Michael Jordon. Well worth a watch. Great cast.
    Yeah watched that as well. Already knew the story but it was a pretty good watch none the less.

On the different side of the scale is Cleopatra on Netflix. Thought it would be like the excellent Docudramas on the Ottomans…omg how wrong I was. Aside from the online furore (discovered afterwards) around her being depicted as black it was a total waste of time. Total lack of historical detail and positioning, the talking heads talking pure subjective and speculative nonsense and really just turned into some sort of weird ‘woman power’ thing. It totally fails to explain why they think that was the case and ultimately ignores the ending of her effectively losing Egypt as an independent nation to the romans. Avoid at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Yeah watched that as well. Already knew the story but it was a pretty good watch none the less.

On the different side of the scale is Cleopatra on Netflix. Thought it would be like the excellent Docudramas on the Ottomans…omg how wrong I was. Aside from the online furore (discovered afterwards) around her being depicted as black it was a total waste of time. Total lack of historical detail and positioning, the talking heads talking pure subjective and speculative nonsense and really just turned into some sort of weird ‘woman power’ thing. It totally fails to explain why they think that was the case and ultimately ignores the ending of her effectively losing Egypt as an independent nation to the romans. Avoid at all costs.
    Was half way into it and this post just reminded me of that, not exactly riveting.

The "was she/she was black" thing a bit of a hot tattie at the moment. The Ptolemy's were Macedonian so unless her predecessors married into a black Egyptian line she wasn't. Proof of marriage, or giving birth to children, outwith the Ptolemaic family being hard to find.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Yellowjackets season 2 was a major disappointment for me. Not sure where it goes now

In contrast I think the final season of Succession must be one of the best tv seasons ever. Can’t wait for the finale, might even watch live at 2am!

What a load of Tom Kite ‘Ted Lasso’ turned into!

Thank God its over!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Looking forward to The Gallows Poll, starting on 31st May on BBC 2

The Gallows Pole recounts the true story of a gang of weavers and land-workers in the Cragg Valley in Yorkshire in the late 18th century who embezzle the Crown by clipping gold coins and using their fragments to mint new coins, a criminal activity then punishable by death.
    Starts tonight, 3 episodes only, will catch up with it the morns night

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    What a load of Tom Kite ‘Ted Lasso’ turned into!

Thank God its over!
    Which b****rd forced you to watch it?

Name them and I'll sort them out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Which b****rd forced you to watch it?

Name them and I'll sort them out for you.
    Some prick call Ted Lasso back in 2020.

Suckered me in then let me down.

I'm about to watch the finale so I'll have a word with him shortly.

I agree that Season 3 hasn't been as good as the previous two, but it's not been as bad as you've suggested.

I'll give you my final verdict later.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Watching ‘Severance’ now.

Intriguing

I enjoyed the last episode. I think it was the correct ending although I think there's still scope for a 4th season.

In case anyone hasn't seen it yet, I'm trying not to give away spoilers, but had Rebecca taken a different option, it would definitely have signalled the end, but the choice she made means there could be more to come.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member
    Watched the first season of Ted Lasso last year, quite like the Ted Lasso character as I like Jason Sudekis but found the rest of the characters pretty cringeworthy. Didn’t go back for season 2

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Watching ‘Severance’ now.

Intriguing
    I loved this but don’t know anyone else that’s watched it. I can’t wait for the next season.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I enjoyed the last episode. I think it was the correct ending although I think there's still scope for a 4th season.

In case anyone hasn't seen it yet, I'm trying not to give away spoilers, but had Rebecca taken a different option, it would definitely have signalled the end, but the choice she made means there could be more to come.
    I read an interview with Jason Sudeikis in the Guardian a couple of weeks ago and he was adamant that was it. You never know though. Then again, some of the greatest shows stopped at three.

I came to it late, started on S1 just as S3 launched. I resisted the urge to splurge and curtailed it to one a night, and not every night.

I thought it was brilliant, exquisitely well-written. Time and time again it could have brushed over a line into schmaltz and they always managed to steer it away.

No spoilers from me either, but I thought the shift in tone relating to Ted, about halfway though S2 was outstanding. It was the televisual version of a heavy gear change and it changed my perception of the show.

I had a look at the Ted Lasso thread that stopped on here around the end of S2 and I am going to speak up for an episode that no one else seemed to like. If you watched, you will know what I mean. I thought it was tremendous - every writer wants to do their version of Homer's Odyssey. I wasn't entirely sure of it until the scene in the crypt and that sealed the deal. And it focused on the best character as well!
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 02-06-2023 at 07:28 PM.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Colin from accounts
    With you on this one. I sort of liked the first episode, my partner wasn't fussed. We gave it another shot and by the end of the second episode we were both hooked.

A bit like Ted Lasso in that it could have been schmaltzy but it adeptly steers clear.

I understand it is a real word-of-mouther, people hear about it from friends and watch it themselves. The writing is super sharp and funny to boot.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

We also just finished watching Kleo, on Netflix. I thought it was brilliant - essentially a revenge spy story set in East Germany just as the Wall came down and reunification was starting, but with lots of dark comedy (and outright comedy) and trashy Euro80s pop.

The dubbing takes a bit of getting used to but by the end it actually felt part of it.

@hibs.net private member
    A small light.

Series focusing on the people not usually central to the Ann Frank story, like Meip Gies and Willem Arondeus the resistance fighter who bravely said "Tell people that homosexuals are not cowards," near his end

A very hard watch obviously but very well done, Liev Schreiber is great as Otto

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    With you on this one. I sort of liked the first episode, my partner wasn't fussed. We gave it another shot and by the end of the second episode we were both hooked.

A bit like Ted Lasso in that it could have been schmaltzy but it adeptly steers clear.

I understand it is a real word-of-mouther, people hear about it from friends and watch it themselves. The writing is super sharp and funny to boot.
    The 2 main characters, excluding Colin, are married in real life. I loved it.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Picard Season 3.

I was half n half on Season 1 & 2 but If you were a bit of a next generation fan back in the day this season is an absolute blast.

A quality and nostalgic send off that invoked the memories and feeling of the old series perfectly.

I absolutely loved it l!

And to top it off we even get a bit of Q right at the end to tease a potential next chapter of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    The 2 main characters, excluding Colin, are married in real life. I loved it.

They were interviewed in the Guardian this week I think, they came across as decent peoples.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    Watched the first season of Ted Lasso last year, quite like the Ted Lasso character as I like Jason Sudekis but found the rest of the characters pretty cringeworthy. Didn’t go back for season 2
    Take it ****ing back. Coach Beard for Hibs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    We also just finished watching Kleo, on Netflix. I thought it was brilliant - essentially a revenge spy story set in East Germany just as the Wall came down and reunification was starting, but with lots of dark comedy (and outright comedy) and trashy Euro80s pop.

The dubbing takes a bit of getting used to but by the end it actually felt part of it.
    Me and the mrs loved this. I’m a Cold War enthusiast (**** knows if that’s a thing but I find it very interesting) and she’s not a clue about history or politics, but even she could enjoy it. Very good. So much so she said it’s better than any of the 007 films I’ve subjected her to, which is obviously wrong but nobody’s perfect eh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    I’ve never actually watched it, so maybe missing out. However saw a couple of random scenes where fans were in a pub watching a game. It was so wooden and unnatural I suspected it wasn’t for me.