hibs.net Messageboard

Page 131 of 229 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141181 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,930 of 6843

Thread: Best tv

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The themes stand up okay even today. The sibling rivalry. The complex relationship with his father. Niles' unrequited love for Daphne. Tremendous show - my favourite for years - and only recently surpassed as my favourite by Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I have meant to watch it through from the start for a while... might just dig out my DVDs over the weekend...
    I like it too...but Daphne is just ridiculous for UK viewers, she’s so badly scripted, they could at least have got some sort of Manchester dialogue coach in there. Eddie and Frasiers dad have the funniest relationship IMO.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I like it too...but Daphne is just ridiculous for UK viewers, she’s so badly scripted, they could at least have got some sort of Manchester dialogue coach in there. Eddie and Frasiers dad have the funniest relationship IMO.
    It lost its way for a while when they introduced Daphne’s family. I almost stopped watching at that point. Can’t beat the sibling rivalry of Frasier and Niles IMO.

Jane Leeves spoke about this on the bbc a few years ago
    They didn't want an actual Manchester accent or especially British sounding dialogue. They just wanted something that sounded a bit working class but that Americans would be able to understand. I love the part she plays - once you get past the accent of course.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    It lost its way for a while when they introduced Daphne’s family. I almost stopped watching at that point. Can’t beat the sibling rivalry of Frasier and Niles IMO.
    I felt the same at the time ut came out. I have since caught the odd episode with Daphne's mother on channel 4. I was surprised at how funny she was in them because I remembered her character really grating at the time. Turns out I don't have much bad to say about the series at all!

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    5 episodes into the third day , It's completely bonkers but i find myself fascinated by it

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Just started watching Vikings .
    Late to the party but it looks decent so far.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Watched “Hitsville - The Making Of Mowtown” on Sky Arts last night. Best programme I’ve seen on Mowtown, was brilliant and gave excellent insight.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    Just started watching Vikings .
    Late to the party but it looks decent so far.
    It's excellent.

The Lance Armstrong documentary on the BBC is a great watch.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    The Lance Armstrong documentary on the BBC is a great watch.
    Was going to say that.

I didn't know that it was out, and only caught the first episode last night.

Line of duty series 5 finished

Every single series was outstanding

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    Line of duty series 5 finished

Every single series was outstanding
    Agreed, Andy. Series six being filmed now ✅
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Really enjoying Schitts Creek.

The Cult of the Family (Sky Crime), 3 episode series about a cult in Australia, quite unpleasant viewing.

Just finished The Sopranos, my 2nd or third time through and my wife’s first. She thought it was decent enough, but it’s not really her kind of show. I hadn’t watched it in years but was quite surprised to find it wasn’t quite as good as I remembered and also slower. Still a game changer, but didn’t think it held up all that well nowadays, unlike something like The Wire which is every bit as good today as it was at the time IMO.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Just finished The Sopranos, my 2nd or third time through and my wife’s first. She thought it was decent enough, but it’s not really her kind of show. I hadn’t watched it in years but was quite surprised to find it wasn’t quite as good as I remembered and also slower. Still a game changer, but didn’t think it held up all that well nowadays, unlike something like The Wire which is every bit as good today as it was at the time IMO.
    I loved the Sopranos at the time - I have a mate who’s never watched it although I reckoned it be right up his street. He watched the first couple of episodes and gave up - he thought it was dated.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    I loved the Sopranos at the time - I have a mate who’s never watched it although I reckoned it be right up his street. He watched the first couple of episodes and gave up - he thought it was dated.
    I'm on my third attempt at trying to watch it. It's a slow burn over the first few episodes and I imagine much of the first season is hindered by the need to introduce and set the scene for so many characters. I sat down for a good few episodes this time and liked it well enough to go back to it.

There are things that date it but you can say that about all good tv series that people still reference 20 years later.

I'm not raving about It yet but an going to stick with it and see how it goes.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar

Best tv

Started watching The Alienest on Netflix.

Season 1 is pretty good but the main standout is Martin Boyle playing Ted Roosevelt as the NYPD Commissioner...maybe it’s just me but the likeness is uncanny and I find it hilarious every time Boyler appears! So much so the Mrs is getting fair annoyed at me chuckling away at the squirrels performances

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Really enjoyed the first iteration of the return of Unsolved Mysteries on Netflix, but the second batch weren't quite as good IMO.

I enjoyed the stories about Jack Wheeler (ex White House aide found dead in a dumpster) and 'Jennifer Fairgate', an unidentified woman found dead in her hotel room in Norway, but the final 3 episodes did nothing for me...

Ive just rewatched it after quite a few years away, it’s still right up there with the best TV ever made.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Really enjoyed the first iteration of the return of Unsolved Mysteries on Netflix, but the second batch weren't quite as good IMO.

I enjoyed the stories about Jack Wheeler (ex White House aide found dead in a dumpster) and 'Jennifer Fairgate', an unidentified woman found dead in her hotel room in Norway, but the final 3 episodes did nothing for me...
    I couldn’t even finish the Japanese episode, a load of rubbish. I liked the two you mentioned as well especially the jack Wheeler episode.
    Last edited by lord bunberry; 29-10-2020 at 08:11 PM.

United we stand here....

It is unfortunately dated but it is still utterly brilliant TV and along with 24 broke TV rules and boundaries.

It's funny to rewatch for me because I live smack bang in the middle of where it's based and so much has, and hasn't, changed.

First Team Regular StevesFamau5's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ImFamau5nStuff
    The Blacklist... End of discussion watched all 7 seasons and James Spader is an absolute genius.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by StevesFamau5 View Post
    The Blacklist... End of discussion watched all 7 seasons and James Spader is an absolute genius.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
    He was brilliant on Boston Legal too.

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    It is unfortunately dated but it is still utterly brilliant TV and along with 24 broke TV rules and boundaries.

It's funny to rewatch for me because I live smack bang in the middle of where it's based and so much has, and hasn't, changed.
    Im interested in this idea of ‘dated TV’. What dates it; production costs, dialogue, style? What? Obviously something like I Claudius is dated, which affects my enjoyment of it because it’s more like watching a play, but aren’t all TV shows more than ten years old ‘dated’? It’s not an argumentative point, I’m genuinely wondering about examples.

Im interested in this idea of ‘dated TV’. What dates it; production costs, dialogue, style? What? Obviously something like I Claudius is dated, which affects my enjoyment of it because it’s more like watching a play, but aren’t all TV shows more than ten years old ‘dated’? It’s not an argumentative point, I’m genuinely wondering about examples.
    A couple of contrasting examples i can think of in recent times would be The Wire and Gavin & Stacey.

With The Wire the whole concept of pay phones and pay as you go mobiles just seems from another era. Street dealers are peddling their wares on Instagram and Snapchat now and the Pirate Bay and the like revolutionised the sale of drugs. Drugs went digital. 'Burner phones' are still a thing but it just feels old. With Gavin & Stacey the show is based on the idea that 2 people who are effectively strangers can meet up for the 1st time whilst knowing nothing more than the information they have garnered from a few phone calls. That idea just wouldn't work as a new series in the world of Tinder, Facebook and so on. I caught an episode of Malcolm in The Middle last night and it looked like something from the 70s, everything about it looked old. In my head that show was still recent then I noticed the episode dated from 2001, a different world.

I don't think being dated really detracts from my enjoyment of shows. In some cases it enhances it, an example would be the earlier seasons of Still Game where the grainier pre HD filming adds to the show. I think if something is obviously set in the past it's easy to adapt to that but if you remember the show as being contemporary and then revisit it in a world that has changed it appears different, not necessarily worse but changed.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Hard sun , Really enjoyed it , Weird as hell but i can do weird

Never got renewed for a 2nd season , Shame

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    A couple of contrasting examples i can think of in recent times would be The Wire and Gavin & Stacey.

With The Wire the whole concept of pay phones and pay as you go mobiles just seems from another era. Street dealers are peddling their wares on Instagram and Snapchat now and the Pirate Bay and the like revolutionised the sale of drugs. Drugs went digital. 'Burner phones' are still a thing but it just feels old. With Gavin & Stacey the show is based on the idea that 2 people who are effectively strangers can meet up for the 1st time whilst knowing nothing more than the information they have garnered from a few phone calls. That idea just wouldn't work as a new series in the world of Tinder, Facebook and so on. I caught an episode of Malcolm in The Middle last night and it looked like something from the 70s, everything about it looked old. In my head that show was still recent then I noticed the episode dated from 2001, a different world.

I don't think being dated really detracts from my enjoyment of shows. In some cases it enhances it, an example would be the earlier seasons of Still Game where the grainier pre HD filming adds to the show. I think if something is obviously set in the past it's easy to adapt to that but if you remember the show as being contemporary and then revisit it in a world that has changed it appears different, not necessarily worse but changed.
    Great answer I suppose if a contemporary show (Like the recent sky atlantic ‘the affair’ truly awful TV) ‘feels dated’, that’s a negative critique, but if a historical show like ‘The Sopranos’ feels dated, well, that’s just because it is, by definition.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    I may have mentioned this before (I know I have, every day for a week), but...the West Wing.

Toby Ziegler is potentially my favourite character of all time.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    Hard sun , Really enjoyed it , Weird as hell but i can do weird

Never got renewed for a 2nd season , Shame
    I thought it was good too.