hibs.net Messageboard

Page 82 of 227 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132182 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,460 of 6784

Thread: Best tv

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Has anyone watched Peaky Blinders on Netflix? Me and the Mrs are going to start watching it tonight after hearing positive reviews about it.

Also I have never understood the clamour around Eurovision other than it showing how much the UK is hated around Europe

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has anyone watched Peaky Blinders on Netflix? Me and the Mrs are going to start watching it tonight after hearing positive reviews about it.

Also I have never understood the clamour around Eurovision other than it showing how much the UK is hated around Europe
    It’s fantastic.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

Quote Originally Posted by Pedantic_Hibee View Post
    It’s fantastic.
    Peaky Blinders not bad either.

It doesn't have S&M Icelanders bashing big balls with hammers or Australian Kate Bush wannabees floating in mid air on a lollystick.

One of the best shows ever made in my opinion 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I'm from this planet that can't help but criticise this season! Thought the first 3 episodes were great. After the battle for Winterfell, it's all gone a bit pear shaped for me. Obvious SPOILERS INCOMING.....

I was fully prepared that the way the story ends might not be the way I'd like/imagine. That's cool - it's not my story. The thing that has really annoyed me though, especially about last week is where the story just hasn't been told properly. What we have seen on screen and how things have developed don't really make sense and characters that were carefully developed over 7/8 years then start acting quite differently with little justification. Or poor choices IMO from the creators disappoint.

For example, let's start with Daenarys. She's been consistent over the years about breaking the wheel, changing things, doesn't want innocents to suffer etc. She has been through horrific trauma time and again. Lost her husband, betrayed, kidnapped etc. Never has she reacted to any of this by killing innocent people. The Tarlys were casualties of war. Varys has committed treason - she has no option but to execute him. That's no different to me than Jon hanging the Night's Watch team that betrayed him. So.......why at the very moment that she has victory. The dream that she's had a vision of for years, does she decide to turn and commit genocide in Kings Landing? The story hasn't been developed sufficiently for this to make sense for me. Then in terms of how to show this on screen - we don't even see her face during all this. We have no idea what she's thinking. It's crazy!

To go back to Varys and his motivation. What exactly has Dany done that justifies him to think.....she's lost it, she can't be a good leader? He's travelled the world to support her and get others to her cause. What did she do that would make him lose faith? And what exactly has Jon done that makes Varys think he's so much better? Wouldn't Varys wait until they've dispatched Cersei before trying to sabotage his Queen?

Again there isn't enough character development for this to make sense to me. And after the first 5 seasons being quite slow and meticulous, it just jars that they jump so quickly to this type of ending.

Then you have Tyrion, who's been the smartest guy going for years. Suddenly can't do anything right. Inexplicably wants to give Cersei chance after chance despite the fact she's shown to have lied time and again. And Cersei. An amazing character over the years. Yet they spend more time on the death of Jack Sparrow wannabe Euron, than Cersei! I don't get it.

I could go on. Sansa's comments the previous week basically being greatful for being abused. Brienne being portrayed as a blubbering bit on the side chasing Jamie. How they decide when a Dragon is vulnerable to scorpion attack depending when it suits the story! It's just really frustrating that things have unravelled after being built up so well.

Anyway rant over. I've totally loved GoT over the 10 years but these last few episodes were just so annoying for me. I get that many people won't be bothered and thought it was great. Each to their own. Still looking forward to the weekend and hopefully the final episode can redeem some of the things that have annoyed me.
    All valid points, I think you're prematurely suffering from PTGOTD 😁. The end is upon us and folk go all Daenerys.
    They've gone all out for the visual in this series. Hopefully the prequel will resonate with everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Peaky Blinders not bad either.

It doesn't have S&M Icelanders bashing big balls with hammers or Australian Kate Bush wannabees floating in mid air on a lollystick.
    So why watch it.....

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I'm well aware it got a little ridiculous in the later seasons, but I've started rewatching Lost lately. What an absolutely stellar show that was.

The first season would rival any of the best TV series' ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    I'm well aware it got a little ridiculous in the later seasons, but I've started rewatching Lost lately. What an absolutely stellar show that was.

The first season would rival any of the best TV series' ever made.
    The first season had me absolutely gripped, and it was as good as anything I've seen.

I think I got "lost" at the right time, only a couple of series in.......

I've been watching "How to get away with murder" as was suggested on here. It is getting towards the business end of the first series and I've loved it.

Anyone else watch the 1st episode of The Virtues?

Stephen Graham was excellent, as expected, and it had the usual Shane Meadows feel to it. Very good start imo.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Stephen Graham was excellent, as expected, and it had the usual Shane Meadows feel to it. Very good start imo.
    Shaping up to be excellent, Meadows and Graham together for another great programme.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Watched Hunt for Jihadi John.

An interesting watch but still didn't answer what drove a young man in Britain to commit those unspeakable acts.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Testimonial Due RoslinInstHibby's Avatar
    Game of thrones.....well, i imagine that there will be a lot of haters far and wide of the final episode....i really liked it though. made sense and pretty much all the characters are IMHO where they should be.

will be remembered by me as one of the the greatest shows on TV

Having watched the first couple of eps of Hatton Garden, they must've been a right bunch of bellends!

I've watched it and watched it again, a few times. Utterly terrific.

You won't be disappointed.

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

The pub scene was so realistic, I'm not sure you'll see better acting on film or TV this year. It's going to be a hard watch you can just tell.

Also a wee appearance from Sinbad.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby70 View Post
    The pub scene was so realistic, I'm not sure you'll see better acting on film or TV this year. It's going to be a hard watch you can just tell.

Also a wee appearance from Sinbad.
    I've never witnessed anybody chucking dough about like that in a pub, it was good though.

Don’t know if mentioned above but All 4 is streaming all of the ‘This Is England’ series. No doubt in tandem with The Virtues.
    Highly recommended particularly for those who haven’t seen any of it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Greentinted View Post
    Don’t know if mentioned above but All 4 is streaming all of the ‘This Is England’ series. No doubt in tandem with The Virtues.
    Not for the faint hearted though

The dining table scene in the last one is one of the greatest, most powerful bits of tv ever. 👏

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    The dining table scene in the last one is one of the greatest, most powerful bits of tv ever. 👏
    Agreed.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Agreed. Just a superb scene.

I loved This is England. Not my era at all but there was so much of it that I, and I'm sure many others, could relate to. It's one of the best depictions of growing up, wanting to fit in, drifting apart from your mates, struggling to see where you fit etc etc ever.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    excellent bit of telly.

I heard Vicky McLure say in interview recently that that scene was improvised. Incredible if so.

I heard Vicky McLure say in interview recently that that scene was improvised. Incredible if so.
    Aye, I'm sure I've read that before.

Jamestown continues to be excellent.

Spring watch

Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by RoslinInstHibby View Post
    Game of thrones.....well, i imagine that there will be a lot of haters far and wide of the final episode....i really liked it though. made sense and pretty much all the characters are IMHO where they should be.

will be remembered by me as one of the the greatest shows on TV
    I hated the penultimate episode but having accepted that story re Danaerys, I thought the last episode did a decent job of wrapping things up.

The council scene to decide on the new leader was another WTF moment... “who has the best story?” Certainly not Bran to be honest! But there were some great moments.

Game of Thrones will be like Lost for me. Disappointed in the final season but would recommend to anyone for the overall ride.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I’ve just finished season 2 of Star Trek Discovery. I really enjoyed it, the special effects are impressive and it’s obvious that it’s a big budget show. I do sometimes wonder about a show that’s set so far in the future that they seem to feel the need to try and make a real effort to appear up to date with current values regarding sexuality and equal opportunities. Surely in the future these things would be irrelevant.

United we stand here....

Testimonial Due RoslinInstHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I hated the penultimate episode but having accepted that story re Danaerys, I thought the last episode did a decent job of wrapping things up.

The council scene to decide on the new leader was another WTF moment... “who has the best story?” Certainly not Bran to be honest! But there were some great moments.

Game of Thrones will be like Lost for me. Disappointed in the final season but would recommend to anyone for the overall ride.
    At 1st I was like Bran? Really? But the more I thought about the more I agreed he is the best choice!

Knows the history(and mistakes) of everyone in history, cannae be conned, bribed or led astray....