hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 132 of 133 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133 LastLast
Results 3,931 to 3,960 of 3987

Thread: Best tv

  1. #3931
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im interested in this idea of Ďdated TVí. What dates it; production costs, dialogue, style? What? Obviously something like I Claudius is dated, which affects my enjoyment of it because itís more like watching a play, but arenít all TV shows more than ten years old Ďdatedí? Itís not an argumentative point, Iím genuinely wondering about examples.
    Yeah I would have a different idea of what makes a TV show dated, from the examples mentioned.

    For me it would be about the ideas/concept and execution. For example - and Iíve not watched a single episode but from what I gather - Mrs Browns Boys was dated from the outset. It was an old fashioned sitcom with a dated visual approach.

    Thatís different from a show that may have aged poorly. I would not personally say for one second that The Sopranos or The Wire have aged poorly. Naturally they have things like pagers that reflect a show of that particular time period. Not dated in the slightest though.

    Whereas something like Friends, there are certain episodes where characters are pretty homophobic - that is dated stuff and hasnít aged well. 24 maybe another one, where the characters are pretty jingoistic and itís fairly prejudiced against people of certain backgrounds (oh look this brown guy must be a terrorist!) - that to me is dated.

    I should add that The Wire and The Sopranos are my top 2 favourite shows of all time!


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #3932
    @hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    6,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A couple of contrasting examples i can think of in recent times would be The Wire and Gavin & Stacey.

    With The Wire the whole concept of pay phones and pay as you go mobiles just seems from another era. Street dealers are peddling their wares on Instagram and Snapchat now and the Pirate Bay and the like revolutionised the sale of drugs. Drugs went digital. 'Burner phones' are still a thing but it just feels old. With Gavin & Stacey the show is based on the idea that 2 people who are effectively strangers can meet up for the 1st time whilst knowing nothing more than the information they have garnered from a few phone calls. That idea just wouldn't work as a new series in the world of Tinder, Facebook and so on. I caught an episode of Malcolm in The Middle last night and it looked like something from the 70s, everything about it looked old. In my head that show was still recent then I noticed the episode dated from 2001, a different world.

    I don't think being dated really detracts from my enjoyment of shows. In some cases it enhances it, an example would be the earlier seasons of Still Game where the grainier pre HD filming adds to the show. I think if something is obviously set in the past it's easy to adapt to that but if you remember the show as being contemporary and then revisit it in a world that has changed it appears different, not necessarily worse but changed.
    I mainly agree, but social media was well-developed by the time Gavin and Stacey hit our screens. I'm not on social media but, if your point is that strangers can glean more from that than they could from telephone calls,.I'm very grateful for the fact!

  4. #3933
    @hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Embra
    Age
    63
    Posts
    190
    Been watching Queens Gambit on Netflix, 5 episodes in and absolutely loving it. If youíve got the slightest interest in chess then itís a must see. But itís so much more than just that, great storyline and 60ís nostalgia. Canít recommend it enough.

  5. #3934
    @hibs.net private member Dan Sarf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,863
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Been watching Queens Gambit on Netflix, 5 episodes in and absolutely loving it. If youíve got the slightest interest in chess then itís a must see. But itís so much more than just that, great storyline and 60ís nostalgia. Canít recommend it enough.
    Seconded. And I couldn't be less interested in chess.

  6. #3935
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    62
    Posts
    15,529
    How the hell I stuck with Roadkill I've no idea. Worst BBC drama I've seen in years.

  7. #3936
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    9,299
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Sarf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seconded. And I couldn't be less interested in chess.
    Loved it too. Not a big chess fan either. Great TV

  8. #3937
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Posts
    13,121
    "The Sinner" on Netflix is a decent watch.

  9. #3938
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    49
    Posts
    17,566
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "The Sinner" on Netflix is a decent watch.
    Which season are you on?

  10. #3939
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    50
    Posts
    25,250
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How the hell I stuck with Roadkill I've no idea. Worst BBC drama I've seen in years.
    I enjoyed the first couple Nothing tells me it’s not worth persevering with to be honest.

  11. #3940
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    53
    Posts
    23,064
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Which season are you on?
    I've watched the first 2 seasons and enjoyed them both. The 3rd season isn't available here yet.

    I'm currently watching the first season of Dirty John. I couldn't really be bothered with it at first but I'm finding it pretty good.

  12. #3941
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Posts
    13,121
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Which season are you on?
    Finished season 3 last night. Enjoyed the first 2 better but 3 was decent enough.

  13. #3942
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    49
    Posts
    17,566
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Finished season 3 last night. Enjoyed the first 2 better but 3 was decent enough.
    I would agree with that. 👍

  14. #3943
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    10,732
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've watched the first 2 seasons and enjoyed them both. The 3rd season isn't available here yet.

    I'm currently watching the first season of Dirty John. I couldn't really be bothered with it at first but I'm finding it pretty good.
    The final season of each are OK but for me Iíd not have bothered in hindsight.

    Sinner 1-2 and Dirty John 1 are rather good though

    Another vote for Queens Gambit from me and really enjoyed both seasons of The Alienest recently.

    Someone suggested Black Monday on Sky to me recently, anyone watched that?

  15. #3944
    @hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    East Lothian
    Age
    49
    Posts
    3,504
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Hibby70
    Watching Guilt on BBC iPlayer. Not sure when it first aired but a few Hibs mentions in it so far (including a nice Arthur Seat view of the stadium.

    Only a couple of episodes in and it's really good. Very dark humour and good story line.

  16. #3945
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    16,224
    Iím watching the haunting of Bly manor, Iím finding it a bit slow and predictable which is a shame as the haunting of hill house was excellent.

    United we stand here....

  17. #3946
    @hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    East Lothian
    Age
    49
    Posts
    3,504
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Hibby70
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iím watching the haunting of Bly manor, Iím finding it a bit slow and predictable which is a shame as the haunting of hill house was excellent.
    If you think it's slow just now wait till the last couple of episodes. Absolute tripe. Get out now whilst you can.

  18. #3947
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you think it's slow just now wait till the last couple of episodes. Absolute tripe. Get out now whilst you can.
    Absolutely this.

    I enjoyed Hill House, it wasn't really original but it was quite scary and there were interesting elements.

    Bly Manor was telegraphed nonsense. Oh look a ghost on the edge of the shot in the background. Oh one of the characters is a ghost, that's never been done before.

    I stuck with it in the hope it might redeem itself but if anything the ending compounded the pishness of the whole thing. Oh and I hear enough of Peppa Pigs voice as it is with a 3 year old in the house.

  19. #3948
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    10,732
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Absolutely this.

    I enjoyed Hill House, it wasn't really original but it was quite scary and there were interesting elements.

    Bly Manor was telegraphed nonsense. Oh look a ghost on the edge of the shot in the background. Oh one of the characters is a ghost, that's never been done before.

    I stuck with it in the hope it might redeem itself but if anything the ending compounded the pishness of the whole thing. Oh and I hear enough of Peppa Pigs voice as it is with a 3 year old in the house.
    I watched the first episode and decided it was going straight in the bin...sounds like I made the right decision on that front then

  20. #3949
    @hibs.net private member easty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    37
    Posts
    9,638
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Watched the first 2 episodes of The Undoing on Sky Atlantic. Nicole Kidman, Hugh Grant, Donald Sutherland. Iím enjoying it.

  21. #3950
    Administrator matty_f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    43
    Posts
    42,332
    Blog Entries
    1
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Watched the first 2 episodes of The Undoing on Sky Atlantic. Nicole Kidman, Hugh Grant, Donald Sutherland. Iím enjoying it.
    It's been good - trying to find the angle for the inevitable twist, have a few theories that I'll not post so to avoid spoilers.

    Nicole Kidman is lovely.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://anchor.fm/longbangers

  22. #3951
    @hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    33
    Posts
    6,927
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Watching Guilt on BBC iPlayer. Not sure when it first aired but a few Hibs mentions in it so far (including a nice Arthur Seat view of the stadium.

    Only a couple of episodes in and it's really good. Very dark humour and good story line.
    Really enjoyed that - think it aired about a year ago.

  23. #3952
    @hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Penicuik
    Age
    44
    Posts
    30,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Watching Guilt on BBC iPlayer. Not sure when it first aired but a few Hibs mentions in it so far (including a nice Arthur Seat view of the stadium.

    Only a couple of episodes in and it's really good. Very dark humour and good story line.
    Cheers for the tip Really enjoying this

  24. #3953
    @hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bellevue
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Watching Guilt on BBC iPlayer. Not sure when it first aired but a few Hibs mentions in it so far (including a nice Arthur Seat view of the stadium.

    Only a couple of episodes in and it's really good. Very dark humour and good story line.
    Someone I was at school with is in it. He also narrates the Hearts propaganda piece on BBC.

  25. #3954
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    49
    Posts
    17,566
    The Vow on SKY Documentaries, only watched the first 2 episodes but, it's some weird cult ****! 😲

  26. #3955
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Posts
    13,121
    Anyone watched Humans. I'm on episode 3 and still not sure about what to make of it. Me and the Mrs love watching stuff that fuels philosophical debate and so far it's done that without being spectacularly great viewing.

  27. #3956
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    53
    Posts
    23,064
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone watched Humans. I'm on episode 3 and still not sure about what to make of it. Me and the Mrs love watching stuff that fuels philosophical debate and so far it's done that without being spectacularly great viewing.

    I watched the Swedish original "Real Humans" last year and found it pretty good. More recently I started watching the English version but only lasted about 15 minutes after deciding that there wasn't much point.

  28. #3957
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    49
    Posts
    17,566
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone watched Humans. I'm on episode 3 and still not sure about what to make of it. Me and the Mrs love watching stuff that fuels philosophical debate and so far it's done that without being spectacularly great viewing.
    I enjoyed it.

  29. #3958
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Posts
    13,121
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I watched the Swedish original "Real Humans" last year and found it pretty good. More recently I started watching the English version but only lasted about 15 minutes after deciding that there wasn't much point.
    I didn't realise it was a remake. I'll have a look at the Swedish version. Thanks.

  30. #3959
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Posts
    13,121
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I enjoyed it.
    Thanks, I'll bash on.

  31. #3960
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    16,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone watched Humans. I'm on episode 3 and still not sure about what to make of it. Me and the Mrs love watching stuff that fuels philosophical debate and so far it's done that without being spectacularly great viewing.
    I agree with your analysis of it. As well as the Swedish version thereís a Russian show on Netflix that is very similar called Better than us.

    United we stand here....

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)