hibs.net Messageboard

Page 132 of 229 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142182 ... LastLast
Results 3,931 to 3,960 of 6851

Thread: Best tv

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im interested in this idea of ‘dated TV’. What dates it; production costs, dialogue, style? What? Obviously something like I Claudius is dated, which affects my enjoyment of it because it’s more like watching a play, but aren’t all TV shows more than ten years old ‘dated’? It’s not an argumentative point, I’m genuinely wondering about examples.
    Yeah I would have a different idea of what makes a TV show dated, from the examples mentioned.

For me it would be about the ideas/concept and execution. For example - and I’ve not watched a single episode but from what I gather - Mrs Browns Boys was dated from the outset. It was an old fashioned sitcom with a dated visual approach.

That’s different from a show that may have aged poorly. I would not personally say for one second that The Sopranos or The Wire have aged poorly. Naturally they have things like pagers that reflect a show of that particular time period. Not dated in the slightest though.

Whereas something like Friends, there are certain episodes where characters are pretty homophobic - that is dated stuff and hasn’t aged well. 24 maybe another one, where the characters are pretty jingoistic and it’s fairly prejudiced against people of certain backgrounds (oh look this brown guy must be a terrorist!) - that to me is dated.

I should add that The Wire and The Sopranos are my top 2 favourite shows of all time!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    A couple of contrasting examples i can think of in recent times would be The Wire and Gavin & Stacey.

With The Wire the whole concept of pay phones and pay as you go mobiles just seems from another era. Street dealers are peddling their wares on Instagram and Snapchat now and the Pirate Bay and the like revolutionised the sale of drugs. Drugs went digital. 'Burner phones' are still a thing but it just feels old. With Gavin & Stacey the show is based on the idea that 2 people who are effectively strangers can meet up for the 1st time whilst knowing nothing more than the information they have garnered from a few phone calls. That idea just wouldn't work as a new series in the world of Tinder, Facebook and so on. I caught an episode of Malcolm in The Middle last night and it looked like something from the 70s, everything about it looked old. In my head that show was still recent then I noticed the episode dated from 2001, a different world.

I don't think being dated really detracts from my enjoyment of shows. In some cases it enhances it, an example would be the earlier seasons of Still Game where the grainier pre HD filming adds to the show. I think if something is obviously set in the past it's easy to adapt to that but if you remember the show as being contemporary and then revisit it in a world that has changed it appears different, not necessarily worse but changed.
    I mainly agree, but social media was well-developed by the time Gavin and Stacey hit our screens. I'm not on social media but, if your point is that strangers can glean more from that than they could from telephone calls,.I'm very grateful for the fact!

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Been watching Queens Gambit on Netflix, 5 episodes in and absolutely loving it. If you’ve got the slightest interest in chess then it’s a must see. But it’s so much more than just that, great storyline and 60’s nostalgia. Can’t recommend it enough.

@hibs.net private member Dan Sarf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    Been watching Queens Gambit on Netflix, 5 episodes in and absolutely loving it. If you’ve got the slightest interest in chess then it’s a must see. But it’s so much more than just that, great storyline and 60’s nostalgia. Can’t recommend it enough.
    Seconded. And I couldn't be less interested in chess.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    How the hell I stuck with Roadkill I've no idea. Worst BBC drama I've seen in years.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Sarf View Post
    Seconded. And I couldn't be less interested in chess.
    Loved it too. Not a big chess fan either. Great TV

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    "The Sinner" on Netflix is a decent watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    "The Sinner" on Netflix is a decent watch.
    Which season are you on?

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    How the hell I stuck with Roadkill I've no idea. Worst BBC drama I've seen in years.
    I enjoyed the first couple Nothing tells me it’s not worth persevering with to be honest.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Which season are you on?
    I've watched the first 2 seasons and enjoyed them both. The 3rd season isn't available here yet.

I'm currently watching the first season of Dirty John. I couldn't really be bothered with it at first but I'm finding it pretty good.

Which season are you on?
    Finished season 3 last night. Enjoyed the first 2 better but 3 was decent enough.

Finished season 3 last night. Enjoyed the first 2 better but 3 was decent enough.
    I would agree with that. 👍

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I've watched the first 2 seasons and enjoyed them both. The 3rd season isn't available here yet.

I'm currently watching the first season of Dirty John. I couldn't really be bothered with it at first but I'm finding it pretty good.
    The final season of each are OK but for me I’d not have bothered in hindsight.

Sinner 1-2 and Dirty John 1 are rather good though

Another vote for Queens Gambit from me and really enjoyed both seasons of The Alienest recently.

Someone suggested Black Monday on Sky to me recently, anyone watched that?

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Watching Guilt on BBC iPlayer. Not sure when it first aired but a few Hibs mentions in it so far (including a nice Arthur Seat view of the stadium.

Only a couple of episodes in and it's really good. Very dark humour and good story line.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I’m watching the haunting of Bly manor, I’m finding it a bit slow and predictable which is a shame as the haunting of hill house was excellent.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I’m watching the haunting of Bly manor, I’m finding it a bit slow and predictable which is a shame as the haunting of hill house was excellent.
    If you think it's slow just now wait till the last couple of episodes. Absolute tripe. Get out now whilst you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby70 View Post
    If you think it's slow just now wait till the last couple of episodes. Absolute tripe. Get out now whilst you can.
    Absolutely this.

I enjoyed Hill House, it wasn't really original but it was quite scary and there were interesting elements.

Bly Manor was telegraphed nonsense. Oh look a ghost on the edge of the shot in the background. Oh one of the characters is a ghost, that's never been done before.

I stuck with it in the hope it might redeem itself but if anything the ending compounded the pishness of the whole thing. Oh and I hear enough of Peppa Pigs voice as it is with a 3 year old in the house.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Absolutely this.

I enjoyed Hill House, it wasn't really original but it was quite scary and there were interesting elements.

Bly Manor was telegraphed nonsense. Oh look a ghost on the edge of the shot in the background. Oh one of the characters is a ghost, that's never been done before.

I stuck with it in the hope it might redeem itself but if anything the ending compounded the pishness of the whole thing. Oh and I hear enough of Peppa Pigs voice as it is with a 3 year old in the house.
    I watched the first episode and decided it was going straight in the bin...sounds like I made the right decision on that front then

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Watched the first 2 episodes of The Undoing on Sky Atlantic. Nicole Kidman, Hugh Grant, Donald Sutherland. I’m enjoying it.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Watched the first 2 episodes of The Undoing on Sky Atlantic. Nicole Kidman, Hugh Grant, Donald Sutherland. I’m enjoying it.
    It's been good - trying to find the angle for the inevitable twist, have a few theories that I'll not post so to avoid spoilers.

Nicole Kidman is lovely.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Watching Guilt on BBC iPlayer. Not sure when it first aired but a few Hibs mentions in it so far (including a nice Arthur Seat view of the stadium.

Only a couple of episodes in and it's really good. Very dark humour and good story line.
    Really enjoyed that - think it aired about a year ago.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar

Cheers for the tip Really enjoying this

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar

Someone I was at school with is in it. He also narrates the Hearts propaganda piece on BBC.

The Vow on SKY Documentaries, only watched the first 2 episodes but, it's some weird cult ****! 😲

Anyone watched Humans. I'm on episode 3 and still not sure about what to make of it. Me and the Mrs love watching stuff that fuels philosophical debate and so far it's done that without being spectacularly great viewing.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Anyone watched Humans. I'm on episode 3 and still not sure about what to make of it. Me and the Mrs love watching stuff that fuels philosophical debate and so far it's done that without being spectacularly great viewing.

I watched the Swedish original "Real Humans" last year and found it pretty good. More recently I started watching the English version but only lasted about 15 minutes after deciding that there wasn't much point.

I enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I watched the Swedish original "Real Humans" last year and found it pretty good. More recently I started watching the English version but only lasted about 15 minutes after deciding that there wasn't much point.
    I didn't realise it was a remake. I'll have a look at the Swedish version. Thanks.

I enjoyed it.
    Thanks, I'll bash on.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I agree with your analysis of it. As well as the Swedish version there’s a Russian show on Netflix that is very similar called Better than us.

United we stand here....