hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flare/Smokebomb

Promising Youngster biggineurope's Avatar

Flare/Smokebomb

This nonsense has to stop!! Sitting comfortably with my boy watching the game then suddenly smacked in the coupon with a big cloud of green smoke and the taste of sulphur (or whatever it is), not once but twice. Sorry but this is ludicrous behavior. My boy is asthmatic and genuinely struggled for a bit of air for a moment. Not just that but i'm sure there were more than just a few people affected in one way or the other. What about the obvious Health & Safety issues?? The folk that bring these to games should in my mind GET A GRIP and consider others.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by biggineurope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This nonsense has to stop!! Sitting comfortably with my boy watching the game then suddenly smacked in the coupon with a big cloud of green smoke and the taste of sulphur (or whatever it is), not once but twice. Sorry but this is ludicrous behavior. My boy is asthmatic and genuinely struggled for a bit of air for a moment. Not just that but i'm sure there were more than just a few people affected in one way or the other. What about the obvious Health & Safety issues?? The folk that bring these to games should in my mind GET A GRIP and consider others.

Where was it? I could smell it both times but saw no smoke, as I sit in the West Upper I guess it must have been in the West Lower?

It was in the east.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Where was it? I could smell it both times but saw no smoke, as I sit in the West Upper I guess it must have been in the West Lower?
    How could you not see it? It was directly opposite you.
    Are you one of these guys that look at the pitch during the game?

It was pretty annoying, but on the bright side, it kept the sun out my eyes for a minute or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    How could you not see it? It was directly opposite you.
    Are you one of these guys that look at the pitch during the game?

I don't know but I never saw it! I even said to the laddie at the time that the smell was strong but neither of us saw any smoke, must have been engrossed with the performance on the pitch I guess

@hibs.net private member
    I don't know but I never saw it! I even said to the laddie at the time that the smell was strong but neither of us saw any smoke, must have been engrossed with the performance on the pitch I guess
    We could smell it but didn't see it either.

From what I read here you can smell the performance on the pitch these days too.

Its about time the stewardsloo done there job properly and stop these clowns bringing
    these things in,anyone caught should be banned from all football grounds.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Correct. Knew this would happen especialy considering by the laws of averages you're going to get people with breathing difficulties in the crowd. Not to mention it obscured a fair few people's view of the pitch for a good 5 or so minutes.

I suggest you complain to the cub directly.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    These smoke bombs will be the British kite marked ones though, they'll no have bought the dodgy Chinese ones off the internet laced with carcinogens right? Thise people letting them off are at least that responsible though? Aren't they?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    Correct. Knew this would happen especialy considering by the laws of averages you're going to get people with breathing difficulties in the crowd. Not to mention it obscured a fair few people's view of the pitch for a good 5 or so minutes.

I suggest you complain to the cub directly.
    I was right at front of section 44 beside pitch with my wife Have posted before it doesn't really bother me but on this occasion the smell was definitely more unpleasant and lingered longer Think the wind carried it down and right across the pitch as when there was a corner you could see it in goal mouth so Wouldnt surprise me if ref puts that in his report .

Up beside little drummer boy and his singing pals, place stinking of sulphur, unfortunately there seems to be no police nowadays at these lesser games and the stewards do absolutely nothing cause they're ***** scared, every home game's the same.

I'm in the west upper too and said to my mate was something on fire only to be told it was the smoke bomb. I never saw a thing, but then I was probably asleep at that time.

Thankfully I'm not going mad and other folk in the West never saw it either

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    I could see it from the famous 5. The way the smoke dispersed must have made it difficult to see from opposite. The smell was quite strong considering the distance travelled- pretty much the length of the pitch. In my opinion it provides nothing to the atmosphere but allows some sad individuals to bask in the glory of rebelliousness.

I still like them.

Look forward to the thread next week.

perhaps the FAMILY stand is the place for yourself and laddie just incase any of these acts against humanitary are done on a regular basis.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    I don't see the point in them tbh, I could maybe understand if they were going off after we'd scored but they were at the most random times on Saturday.

Promising Youngster biggineurope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by percy veer View Post
    perhaps the FAMILY stand is the place for yourself and laddie just incase any of these acts against humanitary are done on a regular basis.
    Simple fact, flares/smokebombs are not allowed to be there, me & the boy are!

I was at the opposite end of the east. I reckon if they'd let off another two the whole east wouldn't have seen the match for around 5 minutes.

Bring 4 for the Dumbarton game lads.

@hibs.net private member
    So going by your suggestion Hibs should advise all people with breathing problems to move stand rather than deal with something that's banned.

That's not very humanitary :p

If it's a derby I can understand but to let one of after scoring again raith rovers is embarrassing

Moronic statement of the year

People with breathing difficulties should be shifted out of the East so 14 year old fannies can show off to their mates by committing a criminal offence. Have a word with yourself, eh?

There were three on Saturday, which I clearly saw (and smelt) from the West Lower. I could also see the annoyance and distress it was causing fellow supporters in the vicinity. We should either employ stewards who have the balls to enforce the law, or have enough police around to do so.

These juvenile displays add nothing to the atmosphere (except polllutants and carcinogens) and are just the modern equivalent of ringing doorbells and running away. Pathetic.

Left by mutual consent!
    They stink anaw.

Maybe we could have a smokebomb section next season so that like minded guys and gals can set them off to their hearts content.

Or alternatively e-bombs, similar to the e-cig concept where the user gets the thrill but those surrounding them are unaffected?

Like most things in this country we're generally just about 10 years behind our european counterparts.

People used to moan like f*** about the drum "Am no goin back", "what a soulress racket" blah *** blah. Now no-one bothers.

People used to go chicken oriental when smoke bombs used to be let off (most notable from the jambos at easter road), again, now generally accepted. Give it another season or two and no-one will give a f3ck.

What can we moan about next?

First Team Breakthrough
    It's not even like whoever set it off done it at a good time,
    Right after halftime vs Raith.

Hope it made a good quality Twitter photo though! Obviously watched the galatasaray fans vs arsenal

Class doesn't show on a maroon jersey

Quote Originally Posted by scott_b_ View Post
    Like most things in this country we're generally just about 10 years behind our european counterparts.

People used to moan like f*** about the drum "Am no goin back", "what a soulress racket" blah *** blah. Now no-one bothers.

People used to go chicken oriental when smoke bombs used to be let off (most notable from the jambos at easter road), again, now generally accepted. Give it another season or two and no-one will give a f3ck.

What can we moan about next?
    "Generally accepted"? By whom exactly? There's a big difference between banging a drum and letting off smoke bombs. One - a drum might annoy some people (not me) but its not going to physically harm them. Two - drums are legal, smoke bombs aren't.

No rational person is going to "accept" a couple of wee Ultra wannabees making their kids ill, and spoiling the match experience for everyone around them.

Find them, empty them, bar them.

The smoke bombs are let off by teenagers who watch the ultras videos on you tube and want to try and emulate the atmosphere that they think it brings to the games. Anyone wanting to ban a Hibs fan for life, for letting these things off IMO is way out of line. I have contacted the club pointing this out, and will wait to see how they respond to the 14 year old who got caught the last time. I, myself am a boring old fart, but cannot understand some of the responses. Kids want to enjoy themselves at the games, why don't we talk to them instead of trying to instill draconian measures?