hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bobby Kinloch 1935-2014 RIP

For those of an older generation who might remember Bobby Kinloch playing with Hibs, it is with regret that I have to let you know that Bobby passed away this morning in the Western General, he had been receiving treatment for cancer.

Robert Kinloch was born in Govan, Glasgow in 1934 but his family soon moved to Forres in Moray. He joined the RAF and played football for them and Forres Mechanics. He signed for Hibs in 1959 as an inside-forward. He made his Hibs début on the 13th Aug 1960 in a League Cup game against Kilmarnock. Bobby scored 10 goals on 11 league games that season. He played 34 games for Hibs scoring a total of 22 goals, including the one he will be most remembered for, the penalty against Barcelona on the 22nd January 1961 in the 3-2 win in the Inter Cities Fairs Cup Quarter Final.

Hibs sold Bobby to Greenock Morton in September 1962, he then moved to Berwick Rangers in 1964. He and his wife then emigrated to Canada, where he played for Toronto City and Hamilton Steelers. While in Canada he joined the police and after being involved in a 'shoot-out' his wife handed him a newspaper and told him to find a new job, the job he got was in the new world of computing. They returned to Scotland in 1967 where he also had spells played for Raith Rovers and then Dunfermline Athletic. He ended up heading up the IT dept of a major bank here in Scotland.

Bobby's grandson, Max Todd, is currently on Hibs books in the under 20's squad. His other grandson is also a fine footballers as is his grand-daughter who moved from Hibs ladies to play with Hearts.

One of Bob's favorite anecdotes, is that he survived three different plane crashes. He also scored 6 goals in an international match for Malaya but still lost the game 7-6.

Bobby was a real character and a true gent, he was always willing to talk with fans about football but nearly always ended up with him telling you about his life. A great loss and a good friend.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Deeply saddened by the passing of this great Hibs legend

RIP Bobby
    This is how it feels

He provided my most thrilling moment ever watching Hibs.

R.I.P. Bobby

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    A Hibby who played against and scored against Barcelona at a competitive level, something they probably took for granted at a time when a more level playing field existed - what a legacy - RIP Bobby Kinloch, part of the fabric that ties us all into Hibs.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    RIP Bobby, yet another sad loss.

Bobby was a member of one of the Hibernian teams that I recollect watching as a very young lad.

Never to be forgotten RIP Bobby

RoryG

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    Sorry to hear this,RIP Bobby. My condolences to the family.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

R. I. P.

I remember playing kick around with him and my uncle in the back garden in Woodburn Loan Dalkeith. Recall him being a very nice man. R I P.

@hibs.net private member phoenixfire's Avatar
    Very sad news indeed
    The old codgers like myself will never
    Forget that penalty
    I also seem to recall that hue swapped
    Jerseys with joe. Baker against. Roma
    And the Italians put two men on him
    To match his blistering pace
    Fond memories of great servant to Hibs
    R. I. P

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    R.i.p.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Very sorry to hear this. RIP Bobby.

Too young to have seen him play, but like a lot of Hibbies was aware of his part in the Barcelona game.

It seems that he had an eventful life ... certainly not a wasted one anyway.

RIP Bobby.

Always sad to read these threads, RIP Bobby

Left by mutual consent! Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    R.i.p.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Too young to have seen him play, but like a lot of Hibbies was aware of his part in the Barcelona game.

It seems that he had an eventful life ... certainly not a wasted one anyway.

RIP Bobby.
    What was going on round about him did not faze him at all V Barcelona So cool taking the penalty RIP

@hibs.net private member
    one of my Dad's favourite players....sad news...respect to Bobby and his family...

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    RIP Bobby. A name I've known from an early age from reading about famous games from hibs history. The passing of another legend.

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Bobby's career at Easter Road was before my time but he's a player whose exploits in the Green and White I've read about many times.

I'd like to extend my condolences to Bobby's family and friends and respect to his memory.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

Met him by chance a few years ago and he was an absolute gentleman. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixfire View Post
    Very sad news indeed
    The old codgers like myself will never
    Forget that penalty
    I also seem to recall that hue swapped
    Jerseys with joe. Baker against. Roma
    And the Italians put two men on him
    To match his blistering pace
    Fond memories of great servant to Hibs
    R. I. P
    The swapping of the 8 and 9 shirts in Rome was a master stroke, especially when Bobby scored and Baker's name flashed up on the electric scoreboard. The same happened when Bobby scored again and, with two or three defenders now marking Bobby, Joe scored the third.
    It should never be forgotten that this was a European semi final and Hibs would have won on away goals, but that rule had not yet come in.

Was just to the right of the goals when he scored That penalty and although fairly young will always remember it.

Had the pleasure of meeting him several times a gentleman with some great stories.

Always remembered R.I.P. Bobby

Really saddened to hear this, was a true gent any time I met him at games.

Thoughts are with his family

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by big-mo View Post
    For those of an older generation who might remember Bobby Kinloch playing with Hibs, it is with regret that I have to let you know that Bobby passed away this morning in the Western General, he had been receiving treatment for cancer.

Robert Kinloch was born in Govan, Glasgow in 1934 but his family soon moved to Forres in Moray. He joined the RAF and played football for them and Forres Mechanics. He signed for Hibs in 1959 as an inside-forward. He made his Hibs début on the 13th Aug 1960 in a League Cup game against Kilmarnock. Bobby scored 10 goals on 11 league games that season. He played 34 games for Hibs scoring a total of 22 goals, including the one he will be most remembered for, the penalty against Barcelona on the 22nd January 1961 in the 3-2 win in the Inter Cities Fairs Cup Quarter Final.

Hibs sold Bobby to Greenock Morton in September 1962, he then moved to Berwick Rangers in 1964. He and his wife then emigrated to Canada, where he played for Toronto City and Hamilton Steelers. While in Canada he joined the police and after being involved in a 'shoot-out' his wife handed him a newspaper and told him to find a new job, the job he got was in the new world of computing. They returned to Scotland in 1967 where he also had spells played for Raith Rovers and then Dunfermline Athletic. He ended up heading up the IT dept of a major bank here in Scotland.

Bobby's grandson, Max Todd, is currently on Hibs books in the under 20's squad. His other grandson is also a fine footballers as is his grand-daughter who moved from Hibs ladies to play with Hearts.

One of Bob's favorite anecdotes, is that he survived three different plane crashes. He also scored 6 goals in an international match for Malaya but still lost the game 7-6.

Bobby was a real character and a true gent, he was always willing to talk with fans about football but nearly always ended up with him telling you about his life. A great loss and a good friend.
    thanks for that mo and r.i.p bobby

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    A Hibs great for the pen v Barca. I remember as a kid loving hearing my dad and uncles recalling that game and the winning goal.

RIP.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Very sad news & condolences to Bobby's family & friends.
    Born same year as my old man who would have seen him many times I'm sure.
    RIP

Played in the same Hibs team as my Grandad. Wins over Barcelona, Real Madrid et al.

What a time to be a Hibby.

RIP.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Blog Entries
    Really sad to hear about the passing of Bobby. Everyone ( rightly ) remembers the Barcelona game but we started that season by losing our first 8 league games, inc 6-0 at home to Celtc!! Imagine if Hibs Net had existed then! In mid October IIRC we played St M at home & finally won, 4-3 with Bobby scoring a hat trick, think we were 3-0 up then 3-3 before Bobby's winner. That game revolutionised our season, 2 months later we scored 4 in the Nou Camp, think I'll bold that, & 6 weeks after that we beat Barca at ER. What a legacy Bobby left us & his family.

God bless you Bobby.

@hibs.net private member Berwickhibby's Avatar
    Bobby was a real character and attended a couple of Berwick Hibs Supporters Burns Nights....... R.I.P Bobby