hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

Michael Nelson takes on The Ice Bucket Challenge

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Credit where credit is due, I've been a very harsh critic of his footballing skills (still am), but on Sunday he did well and what was expected - given he's been told to find a club too.

A 90 minute eat humble pie moment for me on Sunday, he played solidly.

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Credit where credit is due, I've been a very harsh critic of his footballing skills (still am), but on Sunday he did well and what was expected - given he's been told to find a club too.

A 90 minute eat humble pie moment for me on Sunday, he played solidly.
    Agree to a certain extent. My confidence lowered when I seen our central defence named on Sunday.. but they weren't at fault for our defeat, in the main. He still was incapable of finding anyone in a white shirt with any pass required to travel further than 5 yards though... or even get the ball remotely close to a Hibs player.

We kept Sow and Hearts quiet for most of the game and the big man played his part. I will be glad to see him move on though - the one thing that alarmed me about Stubbs' start, was his apparent intentions of having Nelson in our team.

No hard feelings but certainly not a player we will miss.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    It seems clear that Stubbs would prefer a better option, but if Nelson stays beyond the end of August we just need to back him. There have been worse at our club, that's for sure.

Hats off to you Mr. Nelson that is a fair effort.

Jeezo, who else is gonna cash in on this stupid trend purporting to be for 'Charridee'?

We've already had one of the Beckam's kids do it, which was apperently worthy of an article in the DR

Cynical? Moi?

Well done, Nelson.

Good gesture from the big man for a worthy cause which I understand is very close to his heart.

Also good to now see Hibs sharing this type of news with us!

If celebs had actually supported the charity instead of simply dumping cold water on themselves it would have raised much much more money. Credit to Michael Nelson for actually advertising the charity unlike half the famous dip****s who are using it as a PR stunt.

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    Jeezo, who else is gonna cash in on this stupid trend purporting to be for 'Charridee'?

We've already had one of the Beckam's kids do it, which was apperently worthy of an article in the DR

Cynical? Moi?
    Very cynical. It's a bit of fun to raise awareness for a terrible illness, lighten up.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    He was a good sport and barely flinched.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    If celebs had actually supported the charity instead of simply dumping cold water on themselves it would have raised much much more money. Credit to Michael Nelson for actually advertising the charity unlike half the famous dip****s who are using it as a PR stunt.
    Go watch Charlie Sheens. He dumps a bucket fileld with 10grand over his instead and reveals that's what he is donating to the cause, then called out the cast of two and a half men to do the same as his 'nominations'.

Legend.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Very cynical. It's a bit of fun to raise awareness for a terrible illness, lighten up.

That's your opinion, mine is that it's a Bandwagon being jumped on mostly by people for self-publicity.

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyCal View Post
    Go watch Charlie Sheens. He dumps a bucket fileld with 10grand over his instead and reveals that's what he is donating to the cause, then called out the cast of two and a half men to do the same as his 'nominations'.

Legend.
    Yeah, that is what celebs should be doing to help.

That's your opinion, mine is that it's a Bandwagon being jumped on mostly by people for self-publicity.
    Everyone who does it donates £3 (or is supposed to) to MacMillan Cancer Support, if that helps raise money for a worthwhile cause then I think people 'jumping on the bandwagon' is great.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    I'm doing it tonight .
    Wife and kids are hounding me. My neighbours won't let me forget that they nominated me.
    Not really looking for publicity. If I'm being honest I could really do without it.

My kids are looking forward to it though
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member Sudds_1's Avatar
    Always a hard one....and with some celebs its hard not to think all they are doing it for is self publicity........ ..

......But I like to believe most are using their celebrity to raise the profile of worthy causes like this.......and much needed revenue. Even with the self publicists, the charities benefit from increased exposure.........so they probably win both ways.

My main beef? The fact that their existence and continuing service depends on charitable contribution. Erskine, Macmillan, Cancer Relief to name but 3. These should be properly funded through Government. And increased year on year to at least the CPI rate.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

I'm sure the deal is that if you do the challenge you donate £3, if you don't you donate £10.

I'm usually pretty cynical about this kind of stuff but if it raises money for charity (estimated to be about $22M so far) then I don't really see the problem.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent!
    Most celebrities probably put a bit more money towards the charity anyway, there are a lot of good people out there

Left by mutual consent!
    What 3 celebrities would you guys nominate? 😋

Everyone who does it donates £3 (or is supposed to) to MacMillan Cancer Support, if that helps raise money for a worthwhile cause then I think people 'jumping on the bandwagon' is great.

Wow, a whole £3! From a Footballer!

Or they could just donate a decent amount of money privately.

@hibs.net private member Leithenhibby's Avatar

Cynical? Moi?
    Indeed

And much needed cash, lots of it Text Ice 70550 to donate £3! Or "Fine" if you chicken outText 70550 to donate £10

My wife did it and I've not laughed so much for ages....

Raises a fair bit awareness as well.

As I said above it's been reported that $22M has been donated to ALS charities since this 'craze' began. Would that have happened without a few famous faces getting involved?

Like it or lump it but David Beckham or Charlie Sheen pouring cold water on themselves has probably made a few more people aware thay the charity in question exists and saw them donating a few pounds they otherwise wouldn't have.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    What 3 celebrities would you guys nominate? 
    Keekaboo

Silver Hibee

Hibeesmad

My view on this is pretty basic. Anyone raising money for charity is to be commended, not ridiculed. How do we know that Nelson and others don't already donate cash?
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    My view on this is pretty basic. Anyone raising money for charity is to be commended, not ridiculed. How do we know that Nelson and others don't already donate cash?
    Nelson and his family do a lot of fundraising for a charity called 4 Louis, he states this is why he did the ice bucket challenge.

£3 is the standard donation when you send the text. Some people have to find faults in everything, it's a bit of fun for a worthwhile cause, what's the harm?

@hibs.net private member
    If multi million pound earners paid their fair share of tax rather than hide it away off shore then perhaps we wouldn't need the charities in the first place. I have always been against charities which serve causes a civilized country should have covered using taxes. The latest trend of "I am a worthy person and I nominate you to be worthy" is sickening to me. If you asked half of those taking part if they would be willing to pay more in tax they would go off their nut.

I'd quite happily have Nelson as backup CH for the season tbh. Wouldn't be a starter for me and I'm guessing he wants to be a regular every week for someone.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Keekaboo

Silver Hibee

Hibeesmad
    Thanks for the nomination, I nominate:

Rod Petrie, Rod Petrie and Rod Petrie