hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar

Has Robbo Provided An Insight Into The Butcher Era Issues?

“With the set-up we’ve got here, with the manager and the coaching staff, they are all about coaching.

“I’m 29 now and there’s things they’re saying to me – just little coaching points and good habits – and they are drumming them into you.

“It’s really encouraging and refreshing for me to experience that.

“It’s all been positive and encouraging so far, and I think boys like Scott Allan will flourish at a club like this. The manager tries to get the best out of people by believing in them, rather than belittling them.

From Here:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/f...ckons-3929078?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    “With the set-up we’ve got here, with the manager and the coaching staff, they are all about coaching.

“I’m 29 now and there’s things they’re saying to me – just little coaching points and good habits – and they are drumming them into you.

“It’s all been positive and encouraging so far, and I think boys like Scott Allan will flourish at a club like this. The manager tries to get the best out of people by believing in them, rather than belittling them.

From Here:

Seems pretty clear cut, really. When all the horror stories started coming out on here and the PM board about Butcher and Malpas a few months ago, it seemed impossible to believe that such things could happen in modern day football - however, the more time has passed, and the more comments like this you read, the more it seems like they were all true.

Worst thing to ever happen to us, and I'm delighted they're gone.

Only downside to stories such as this is it may not help us get them off the wage bill.
    Last edited by Stevie Reid; 29-07-2014 at 10:57 AM.

The Butcher appointment was probably the worst by any club in Scottish football history. Whoever interviewed him and appointed him should never work in football again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    The Butcher appointment was probably the worst by any club in Scottish football history. Whoever interviewed him and appointed him should never work in football again.
    Easy to say that now

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by S4uzee View Post
    Easy to say that now
    Well before he was appointed, i pointed out his MANAGERIAL record. Have a look yourself and see if its good enough to manage our club.

PS, he does talk a good game, christ even i thought he might be able to make us better. Hot air and bull****, thats about all you get from the man.

I will say i was not 100% against him, but there were some who did not want him.
    Last edited by blackpoolhibs; 29-07-2014 at 11:05 AM.

Are you having a laugh?? With hindsight, yes, shocking appointment. However, i would say 95% of hibs fans were delighted that hibs managed to secure TB and his cronies...

Thought it was a great appointment and what we needed at the time unfortunately how wrong was I

I think most were fooled by his bluff. But i said to plenty as soon as they started playing that we were in real danger of going down if he didnt start playing football. It was him that told them to lump the ball. Even in the final game, to not be able to hold a 2-0 advantage against Hamilton is nothing short of disgusting. He did more damage in 6 months than any recent manager.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Well before he was appointed, i pointed out his MANAGERIAL record. Have a look yourself and see if its good enough to manage our club.

PS, he does talk a good game, christ even i thought he might be able to make us better. Hot air and bull****, thats about all you get from the man.

I will say i was not 100% against him, but there were some who did not want him.
    I was in that number. I believe my post at the time when he was in talks was 'noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo'

His SPL record was worse than Fenlon's and it wasn't just BH and myself that pointed that out.

Was taken in 100% by all his bull thought he was the man for the job but after the Raith cup game I knew we were in serious trouble was more angry after that game than the last 2 finals

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    Seems pretty clear cut, really. When all the horror stories started coming out on here and the PM board about Butcher and Malpas a few months ago, it seemed impossible to believe that such things could happen in modern day football - however, the more time has passed, and the more comments like this you read, the more it seems like they were all true.

Worst thing to ever happen to us, and I'm delighted they're gone.

Only downside to stories such as this is it may not help us get them off the wage bill.
    On the rumour side of things, there was one kicking about that Butcher had Alex Harris by the throat after one of the games, probably was just that a rumour but it would be well worth the club investigating because if true it would be a sacking offence

Was it not James Collins he was meant to have had 'round the throat? Telling him he was "one of the worst players he'd ever worked with" ?? I might be getting a few rumours mixed up into one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by TheFamous1875; 29-07-2014 at 11:38 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanWilson View Post
    Are you having a laugh?? With hindsight, yes, shocking appointment. However, i would say 95% of hibs fans were delighted that hibs managed to secure TB and his cronies...
    Agreed, I was delighted when he arrived & unfortunately even more delighted when he left!v

Yet ehrn he was sacked there were folk still defending him saying they should have given him time to build his own team.

I fell for his crap chat and how he will turn us around. Thought he was a very good signing and was pleased. But after hearing the horror stories about his training and how he spoke to players along with MM i'm glad they are gone. I feel for any team who take them on.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    If that rumour is true that he took a player by the throat then that is absolutely disgusting. I genuinely hope that isn't true, especially if it was Alex Harris.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I know an ex ICT player who said Butcher would frequently go mental at players he didn't like.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFamous1875 View Post
    Was it not James Collins he was meant to have had 'round the throat? Telling him he was "one of the worst players he'd ever worked with" ?? I might be getting a few rumours mixed up into one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Haven't heard that one. Heard Steve Marsella grabbed JC at Tynie amd told him he was useless.

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandMoaner View Post
    On the rumour side of things, there was one kicking about that Butcher had Alex Harris by the throat after one of the games, probably was just that a rumour but it would be well worth the club investigating because if true it would be a sacking offence
    I was told similar.

ALLEGEDLY.......Butcher and Malpas would pin players against the wall screaming in their faces. He could get away with doing that with wee ladies like Harris who wouldn't fight back but seasoned pros like McPake and Thomson would tell him to *** off.
    McPake especially would not stand for any of that intimidation rubbish as he was more than capable of physically decking either of them.
    So what you ended up with was him being ostracized from the team. He was fit 12 weeks before the end of the season and we needed him but Butcher wouldn't play him...go figure.
    Thomson meanwhile is sitting there thinking how he's played international football and under managers like Tony Mowbray, Walter Smith and Gordon Strachan and now he's getting fed this nonsense and being told to kick it into the corners.

The management tactics were neanderthal at best. Rule by fear and intimidation. Total crap.
    Last edited by AndyM_1875; 29-07-2014 at 12:03 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    And every poster on here who thought the appointment was a good idea should be banned from having an opinion for life

Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARLEYS DUG View Post
    Haven't heard that one. Heard Steve Marsella grabbed JC at Tynie amd told him he was useless.
    Can't blame him for that

I know 2 young players who were described as 'distraught' in the dressing room after the play off game. Butcher never even spoke to them and left it to Kevin Thomson and Liam Craig to try and comfort them. Obviously he was angry and upset as well but that's where a manager should be looking after his young players.

I was taken in by him, he wasn't my 2st choice but when he was appointed I bought into the bollox he spoke. I was even, quite embarassingly with hindsight, quite impressed by his piss poor treatment of Ross Caldwell in Dingwall. Seems to me he was an arrogant bully who alienated almost every player at the club.

Glad he's gone and delighted Stubbs seems the exact opposite of him
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Isn't this what a recruitment process is for? You know, draw up a list of candidates, then interview them, ask other people about them, do a little research...

Does make me wonder if Petrie asked TB anything other than "when can you start?".

His appointment was a disaster. OK, maybe we couldn't have seen it coming, but whoever recruited him has to take the blame too. That's how it works.

And how many of those fans work in football?

It has been proven that Butcher is very one dimensional. Where he has players who meet his needs and style of play it might work but its never going to be a long term solution even if you had the right players as you need to be able to adapt in the modern game both as a player and a manager.

Whilst ultimately Butcher took us down if he hadn't I am not sure we would have seen some of the postive changes at the club we have seen subsequent to relegation - every cloud and all that.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyCal View Post
    If that rumour is true that he took a player by the throat then that is absolutely disgusting. I genuinely hope that isn't true, especially if it was Alex Harris.
    I dont think that rumour will be true, if it was I am pretty sure Hibs would have sacked him and not be paying him a salary when he isnt even working.

Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    And every poster on here who thought the appointment was a good idea should be banned from having an opinion for life
    Don't think any of the posters on here had the benefit of interviewing him, have jobs where they are expected to be able to recruit managers in the football industry etc.
    People on football message boards usually react positively to any appointment a club makes. Their love for the club make them always want to think good things about it. I was pleased when we appointed Butcher even though the things he was saying in his interviews with the press were the exact opposite to the direction I think we should go. The people who are charged by the club to select new managers have to be above all that.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post

From Here:

He's surely not suggesting that Mr Butcher and Mr Malpas were in the habit of belittling the players?

I find that VERY hard to believe.

Promising Youngster
    It seemed to me quite natural to appoint Butcher at the time we did. The success he was having at Inverness with a moderate budget, and seemed to be motivating average players to their best capability. Hibs were a massive move for him, we had the facilities, the resources and playing staff that someone with his apparent abilities should have succeded with, he didn't, it was a mistake as it turned out, but at the onset it looked like a master stroke, how many critics on here now honestly saw the debacle that followed. I admit to being completely taken in by him.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HFCDaveA View Post
    I dont think that rumour will be true, if it was I am pretty sure Hibs would have sacked him and not be paying him a salary when he isnt even working.
    IF it did happen, and IF in the immediate aftermath Hibs did nothing or tried to sweep it under the carpet, I imagine it would then be very hard to sack the guy later without being hit with a claim for unfair dismissal.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    If butcher and malpas were as bad as what is rumoured how come it seemed to have the opposite effect on the Inverness players? Those guys seemed to play above themselves yet our players went the opposite way. Weird.