hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Films

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Going to watch The Irishman on Netflix this evening. Looks very good. Anyone here watched it already?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Going to watch The Irishman on Netflix this evening. Looks very good. Anyone here watched it already?
    Just about to sit down for the 2nd half.

Gonna watch the Irishman next week - waited to watch at home rather than the cinema given the 3.5 hour running time!

I’ve seen “Le Mans 66” and “Knives Out” in the last few weeks.

Le Mans 66 was better than I expected, not knowing much of the actual story. Helps that Christian Bale gives a typically brilliant performance

Knives Out is an old fashioned whodunnit from Rian Johnson, with a great cast. It was a lot of fun albeit I was slightly underwhelmed by the eventual reveal. A few of the cast were a bit wasted also but I would still recommend

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Just finished The Irishman and while the de-aging is a little bit jarring in the first hour, it's a bloody excellent film. It's not a pure gangster film (for a large chunk of a film, the mafia takes a backseat and is only relevant with a few cutaway scenes), more a period piece which the mafia place an important role in. I loved all the performances - Pesci and de Niro in their understated approach were great, and I felt Pacino brought to the screen the passion of Hoffa and his intense love for his union. I feel like it was necessary to explain how stubborn he became, and didn't really fall into the trap of overacting for the sake of it.

The last half hour was full of nostalgie and sadness and the final shot was pretty moving too.

Overall, it is a very long film but one that I enjoyed.
    Last edited by hfc rd; 04-12-2019 at 06:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    Just finished The Irishman and while the de-aging is a little bit jarring in the first hour, it's overall a bloody excellent film. It's not a pure gangster film (for a large chunk of a film, the mafia takes a backseat and is only relevant with a few cutaway scenes), more a period piece which the mafia place an important role in. I loved all the performances - Pesci and de Niro in their understated approach were great, and I felt Pacino brought to the screen the passion of Hoffa and his intense love for his union. I feel like it was necessary to explain how stubborn he became, and didn't really fall into the trap of overacting for the sake of it.

The last half hour was full of nostalgie and sadness and the final shot was pretty moving too.

Overall, it is a very long film but one that I enjoyed.
    Thought the film was - as you say - excellent and the 3 hours passed by in a flash. Some stirring performance from De Niro, Pacino, Pesci and all involved in the customary slick Scorsese movie. The problem with the "de-aging" thing is that while their faces become younger their bodies are still those of elderly gentlemen and you notice it in their physical movements, that jarred most for me -

While watching it couldn't help regretting that this is most probably the last of these great actors/producer together on screen in a cracking movie ... some way to go out though!

Watched the Irishman last night. Some classic Scorsese long single camera shots, great soundtrack. The period clothes and cars were outstanding, It was long but I watched it in bed so not really a problem, I thought the acting was superb and not overdone, Joe Pesci doesnt look well in my opinion but I hope I am mistaken. The supporting cast were strong as well, Stephen Graham never disappoints and Harvey Keitel and a few other faces from the movies in walk on and off parts adds to the entertainment. Not the greatest Scorsese movie but certainly a good way to spend a few hours. I am still waiting for the director's cut of Gangs of New York, hope it happens, Scorsese was unhappy with the final version and there is apparantly loads of material that was cut.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    The scene with De Niro on the phone near the end of the film was outstanding. Some of the best acting ive ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Gonna watch the Irishman next week - waited to watch at home rather than the cinema given the 3.5 hour running time!

I’ve seen “Le Mans 66” and “Knives Out” in the last few weeks.

Le Mans 66 was better than I expected, not knowing much of the actual story. Helps that Christian Bale gives a typically brilliant performance

Knives Out is an old fashioned whodunnit from Rian Johnson, with a great cast. It was a lot of fun albeit I was slightly underwhelmed by the eventual reveal. A few of the cast were a bit wasted also but I would still recommend
    I loved Knives Out, and I thought the ending was the best part of the movie. It had a feel of The Usual Suspects about it in terms of script, spacing and intelligent filmmaking, although the genre is different. Daniel Craig pulled a great performance out of the bag, Ana de Armas Is destined to be a household name too...

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I'm not at all convinced by The Irishman. I love Scorcese, I love this genre, but it just doesn't work for me. It's drawn out, the de-aging/physical movement thing is awful, and I found many of the supporting cast completely forgettable.

Pesci, Pacino and DeNiro are Gods of this genre, but Scorcese could have endeavoured to cast some new blood in their younger roles, thus giving the genre a bit of a future. I fear it'll die with these guys.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    I'm not at all convinced by The Irishman. I love Scorcese, I love this genre, but it just doesn't work for me. It's drawn out, the de-aging/physical movement thing is awful, and I found many of the supporting cast completely forgettable.

Pesci, Pacino and DeNiro are Gods of this genre, but Scorcese could have endeavoured to cast some new blood in their younger roles, thus giving the genre a bit of a future. I fear it'll die with these guys.
    I agree. It was nice seeing them altogether in another movie but it just felt like it lacked something.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

I’m about a third through nothing startling so far,

Good seeing Bobby Cannavale he was superb in Boardwalk Empire.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I loved Knives Out, and I thought the ending was the best part of the movie. It had a feel of The Usual Suspects about it in terms of script, spacing and intelligent filmmaking, although the genre is different. Daniel Craig pulled a great performance out of the bag, Ana de Armas Is destined to be a household name too...
    Ana de Armas...oh yes, always happy to watch a movie with her in it. Her acting isn’t bad either ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Ana de Armas...oh yes, always happy to watch a movie with her in it. Her acting isn’t bad either ;-)
    A face that launched a thousand ships, definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    A face that launched a thousand ships, definitely.
    Having done a bit of an investigation, that seems awfully harsh. 😉

Although, I doubt the post was too serious.

Hoping to see Knives Out shortly.

I like watching Craig in other roles but the big draw for me is my hero Don Johnson!

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I don't want to come back from Australia next week, but at least I've got this to look forward to.

My cinema going has become a lot less frequent since I left Edinburgh because the cinema choices in York aren't the best and they're expensive compared to the Cineworld unlimited card which I used to have.

Vue is the closest to me and they're feeling the pressure as they've reduced their adult prices to £4.99.

https://www.yorkmix.com/first-look-i...eworld-cinema/

Literally 10 minutes from my door, it's taken years for the stadium and the associated leisure outlets to be completed, but we're nearly there.

All films will cost £3 in the opening week so I might delay my unlimited membership application for a while!

First Team Breakthrough
    Watched Good Morning Vietnam again last week. Forgot how good a movie it was, ablsolutely brilliant from Robin Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by rodhibs55 View Post
    Watched Good Morning Vietnam again last week. Forgot how good a movie it was, ablsolutely brilliant from Robin Williams.
    Great soundtrack as well

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Over two hours into the Irishman just now and finding it boring now, not sure I’ll see it through to be honest.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Over two hours into the Irishman just now and finding it boring now, not sure I’ll see it through to be honest.
    I saw something online that out of 13m people that watched it the opening week that only 18% of people watched it all

I thought it was decent, no more than that and there was no need for it to last half a day's work

6 Underground

Absolutely terrible but somehow also brilliant.

Jojo Rabbit 7/10

Just about strikes the right balance of being a dark comedy without making it*too*light given it is set in the war, and from the German point of view at that, albeit with an anti-Nazi slant. Quite warming by the end as well.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    Jojo Rabbit 7/10

Just about strikes the right balance of being a dark comedy without making it*too*light given it is set in the war, and from the German point of view at that, albeit with an anti-Nazi slant. Quite warming by the end as well.
    I'm not sure I'll be able to watch this. It seems s bit too slap sticky.

I'm glad you said it was anti-Nazi though. I was worried that it was neutral which, in the current political climate, wouldn't have surprised me.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I'm not sure I'll be able to watch this. It seems s bit too slap sticky.

I'm glad you said it was anti-Nazi though. I was worried that it was neutral which, in the current political climate, wouldn't have surprised me.
    The Hitler parts probably are a bit too slapstick but I suppose it is just used as a tool to point out the ridiculousness of kids being taught that Jews had horns etc.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    6 Underground

Absolutely terrible but somehow also brilliant.
    I saw no brilliance. Absolutely terrible sums it up perfectly for me.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I saw no brilliance. Absolutely terrible sums it up perfectly for me.
    I thought it was alright won’t trouble the award ceremonies like but it was enjoyable enough

@hibs.net private member
    Quite enjoyed Arctic on Netflix last night, mads mikkelson crash landed and alone in the Arctic wasn’t a bad watch at all

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    I thought it was alright won’t trouble the award ceremonies like but it was enjoyable enough
    Agree. It is what it is and I for one quite enjoyed it. Not exactly high brow stuff of course but the way some of the baddies meet their untimely deaths in the chase scene at the start had me wincing, laughing and cringing all at the same time!!

Saw '1917' on Friday. Really enjoyed it. Similar to Dunkirk in that it was intense from start to finish. Definitely would recommend going to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    Saw '1917' on Friday. Really enjoyed it. Similar to Dunkirk in that it was intense from start to finish. Definitely would recommend going to see it.
    Planning a cinema trip this week can’t decide between this or Bad Boys.