hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Chopper

Left by mutual consent!

Chopper

Barca have reportedly signed Suarez for a cool 75 mill. Now watch his ban get reduced. Is his "ban from training" not restraint of trade ?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by southsider View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Barca have reportedly signed Suarez for a cool 75 mill. Now watch his ban get reduced. Is his "ban from training" not restraint of trade ?
    Good bit of business for Liverpool, seeing as he was never going to play in England again.

Says all contact with the game except any form of transfer dealings, still think it's poor how club teams get hit when he did it on international football.

Ban appeal was refused yesterday.

Arsenal are the real winners here IMO, Sanchez is s brilliant player.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1 View Post
    still think it's poor how club teams get hit when he did it on international football.
    I don't. It wasn't Uruguay's fault anymore than it was Liverpool or Barcelona's. The idiot deserves to be banned, his club side should be allowed to refuse to pay him while hes suspended in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I don't. It wasn't Uruguay's fault anymore than it was Liverpool or Barcelona's. The idiot deserves to be banned, his club side should be allowed to refuse to pay him while hes suspended in my opinion.

I doesn't work the other way round though, if he's banned in domestic football, he can still play internationals.

I thought Barcelona were still under a Signing Ban.

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post

It's not just scottish football that hands out false punishments. AFAIK it's on hold pending an appeal so they can buy and sell whomever they wish so as to have a nicely updated squad when/if the ban comes into play.

Disclaimer: the above could be cynical trash (the last I heard about it it was put on hold)

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1 View Post
    I doesn't work the other way round though, if he's banned in domestic football, he can still play internationals.
    Thats true I suppose.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I doubt it's £75m. It'll be €75m.

I noticed in Liverpool's statement there was no mention of a fee or the latest biting incident.

IMO he was leaving the moment he signed his new deal as that would have clarified the buyout clause.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post

They've got round that somehow, as has Suarez re: his training ban.

I think Liverpool have done a good bit of business here, although Rodgers' signings so far at Liverpool have been a bit mixed. They need a quality replacement.

Isn't it CHOMPER?

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    Isn't it CHOMPER?
    Never heard of Chopper Suarris?

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Thats true I suppose.
    No it's not. When something merits a 'global ban', it doesn't matter if it happens for club or country.

See this example: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...gh/4181776.stm

More recently, they were talking about Anelka getting it.

First Team Breakthrough Lewis77's Avatar

Isn't it

Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    Isn't it CHOMPER?
    Isn't it racist beaver?
    Last edited by Lewis77; 11-07-2014 at 06:22 PM.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    We have had a whole squad kept away from any kind of football in 2014. Don't see the hooh-hah about one player for a few months.

Barcelona avoid tax like a Hibs CH avoids crosses, so stumping up 75 million shouldn't be a problem. In fact the failure to pay tax by Spanish clubs with tacit government approval is so massive it would put the Yams and Current Buns to shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    I doubt it's £75m. It'll be €75m.

I noticed in Liverpool's statement there was no mention of a fee or the latest biting incident.

IMO he was leaving the moment he signed his new deal as that would have clarified the buyout clause.
    It's £75 million.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28180600

Leaving aside the biting and racial abuse, does anyone else think football at this level has gone completely mad, i.e. £75 million for a footballers signature, plus however many additional millions in wages?

I think I heard that unemployment, especially amongst young people in Spain, is well over 25%.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    Leaving aside the biting and racial abuse, does anyone else think football at this level has gone completely mad, i.e. £75 million for a footballers signature, plus however many additional millions in wages?

I think I heard that unemployment, especially amongst young people in Spain, is well over 25%.
    For the top guys I can kinda see why, whilst excessive there's not many people in the world that can do what they do. What annoys me is the average players earning £40,000+ and a lot of these types of players aren't much better than SPL standard, a dime a dozen.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Ban appeal was refused yesterday.

Arsenal are the real winners here IMO, Sanchez is s brilliant player.
    If they can nab Khedira too ! Woooooft

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    For the top guys I can kinda see why, whilst excessive there's not many people in the world that can do what they do. What annoys me is the average players earning £40,000+ and a lot of these types of players aren't much better than SPL standard, a dime a dozen.
    I don't really think that's true any more when it comes to the English game (your second point). The premier league is for the global elite and that goes for the middle of the road teams and relegation fodder as well as the champions league contenders. Average players simply won't cut it any more and anyone at premiership or even the championship is probably well above SPFL premiership standard.

I agree that the top money for the top guys does sound mad on the face of it but there is now definitely a market and global audience that justifies it. Top movie stars get millions per film and I reckon football is a bigger business than the one they are in. The whole world loves football and I'm sick of seeing footballers faces on Pepsi bottles, razor ads etc..if anything, there's an argument to say that the starts are only now starting to get what they deserve.

I don't agree with that principle though. I'd go the other way and say that football would be healthier if the money from the game was divided up on a more even basis around the worlds professional clubs. These superstars won't starve, and the money would be better used to enhance youth development at clubs like ours and others who suffer from fans deserting them for TV teams. If football turns into a sport where only eight or so teams are all-powerful who are powered by people from all over the world who refer to them as "we"', then the game will eventually die.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post

Not just football, look at US football/baseball/basketball, the top players get paid huge amounts of money, the thing they really don't have much of over there is transfer fees, contracts tend to run down or they get traded to another club for draft picks etc.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post
    I don't really think that's true any more when it comes to the English game (your second point). The premier league is for the global elite and that goes for the middle of the road teams and relegation fodder as well as the champions league contenders. Average players simply won't cut it any more and anyone at premiership or even the championship is probably well above SPFL premiership standard.

I agree that the top money for the top guys does sound mad on the face of it but there is now definitely a market and global audience that justifies it. Top movie stars get millions per film and I reckon football is a bigger business than the one they are in. The whole world loves football and I'm sick of seeing footballers faces on Pepsi bottles, razor ads etc..if anything, there's an argument to say that the starts are only now starting to get what they deserve.

I don't agree with that principle though. I'd go the other way and say that football would be healthier if the money from the game was divided up on a more even basis around the worlds professional clubs. These superstars won't starve, and the money would be better used to enhance youth development at clubs like ours and others who suffer from fans deserting them for TV teams. If football turns into a sport where only eight or so teams are all-powerful who are powered by people from all over the world who refer to them as "we"', then the game will eventually die.
    yeah I actually agree with what you say but it just sticks with me when you hear about the likes of samba on £100k per week kind of sticks with you.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I was extremely disappointed with the statement issued by Liverpool (Rodgers) regarding his sale, it should have stated,

"Liverpool Football Club are finally glad to see the back of Luis Suarez, despite his reassurances following his previous despicable behavior he has once again disgraced himself and by association this great club. The club now acknowledges that a serious error of judgement was made in standing by this cretin in the first instance. Our stance made a complete mockery of the statement that no one player is bigger than this club. We would like to formally wish him goodbye and good riddance".

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    I was extremely disappointed with the statement issued by Liverpool (Rodgers) regarding his sale, it should have stated,

"Liverpool Football Club are finally glad to see the back of Luis Suarez, despite his reassurances following his previous despicable behavior he has once again disgraced himself and by association this great club. The club now acknowledges that a serious error of judgement was made in standing by this cretin in the first instance. Our stance made a complete mockery of the statement that no one player is bigger than this club. We would like to formally wish him goodbye and good riddance".

I think they helped him all they could, he helped to get the into european championships and they get £75m for him, I don't think they expected to get another season from him.

@hibs.net private member Auckland Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    Did he ask for the transfer to Barca?

Don't most transfer fees usually end up with 10-20% going to the player if they haven't requested a move? He could end up with 7.5-15m which would be a disgrace IMO

Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post

Agree with this point.