hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Newspapers quoting posters from .net

I see there is a real trend now of newspapers lifting posts from this site and building stories around them. Only this morning several papers had quotes on the new strip direct from a thread on here.

Apart from being cheap and easy journalism, the journalist is quoting peaople who a) he doesn't know their real name, b) he is assuming they are genuinely Hibs fan c) he assumes they reflect the bigger Hibs community as opposed to the .net bubble and d) he cherry picks posts that suits the agenda of the article.

I have seen several articles like this since we got relegated, and whilst initially posters might get a wee buzz from seeing their username quoted in the paper they can still easily be misrepresented with no recourse open to them.

Is there anything the .net administrators can do to ensure that journalists need permission to quote people on here or as it's a public forum are we all fair game?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see there is a real trend now of newspapers lifting posts from this site and building stories around them. Only this morning several papers had quotes on the new strip direct from a thread on here.

Apart from being cheap and easy journalism, the journalist is quoting peaople who a) he doesn't know their real name, b) he is assuming they are genuinely Hibs fan c) he assumes they reflect the bigger Hibs community as opposed to the .net bubble and d) he cherry picks posts that suits the agenda of the article.

I have seen several articles like this since we got relegated, and whilst initially posters might get a wee buzz from seeing their username quoted in the paper they can still easily be misrepresented with no recourse open to them.

Is there anything the .net administrators can do to ensure that journalists need permission to quote people on here or as it's a public forum are we all fair game?

If you mean the article on the new strips, it's merely a selection from a large number of posts that say exactly the same thing. I don't want to start yet another argument about the strips, but the poll on this site was pretty conclusive that it is mostly not liked (360 voted people so far, 75% didn't like it).

So, in this instance, they haven't done anything wrong, surely

If we post anything on a public forum then it's pretty much fair game.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    If you mean the article on the new strips, it's merely a selection from a large number of posts that say exactly the same thing. I don't want to start yet another argument about the strips, but the poll on this site was pretty conclusive that it is mostly not liked (360 voted people so far, 75% didn't like it).

I reckon a new poll completed by people who have actually seen the strip would give a much more positive result. Looks like we went through premature hysteria yesterday.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

As its on an open forum then i presume you will have no come back on it
    Papers are simply quoting what they have found and its not their opinion
    The private members forum may be a bit tighter but if you put something on the web then you cany really say its a secret or confidential

Blog Entries

Really not bothered about article today, don't care one iota about the strip to be honest, but there have been other articles recently about Hibs relegation etc using quotes from here.

What I am really getting at is a journalist could cherry pick quotes from our more extreme posters (doom and gloom/happy clapper camps) or indeed select a quote from a Jambo pretending to be a Hibby and then say it's representing Hibs fans. It doesn't.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar

Get your chi squared out to see if it is significant...

62.07% of stats are significant ;)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    I reckon a new poll completed by people who have actually seen the strip would give a much more positive result. Looks like we went through premature hysteria yesterday.

You never know mate

By the way, I think the new training top is the b*ll*x. I'm defo getting me one of them.

Really not bothered about article today, don't care one iota about the strip to be honest, but there have been other articles recently about Hibs relegation etc using quotes from here.

What I am really getting at is a journalist could cherry pick quotes from our more extreme posters (doom and gloom/happy clapper camps) or indeed select a quote from a Jambo pretending to be a Hibby and then say it's representing Hibs fans. It doesn't.

Sorry bud, I get your point.

As mentioned, it's a public forum so I don't think there's anything the Admins can do.

Blog Entries
    try using one of the 300 other threads yakking about the bloody top

Trying to make a point about newspapers quoting posters from here. Today's article is irrelevant.

Blog Entries
    Sorry bud, I get your point.

As mentioned, it's a public forum so I don't think there's anything the Admins can do.
    Agree the admins can't do anything but you would think journalists have a responsibility to check out validity of people they are quoting in articles.

First Team Breakthrough Lewis77's Avatar

aye

Indicative of lazy journalism I'm afraid. Many don't appear to get off their arse and actually do journalism anymore by investigating a situation professionally. They'd prefer not to speak to people but rather sit at home glued to a screen sourcing dubious information 2nd or 3rd hand.

try using one of the 300 other threads yakking about the bloody top

Trying to make a point about newspapers quoting posters from here. Today's article is irrelevant.

You were the one that mentioned the bl**dy top!

.....Only this morning several papers had quotes on the new strip direct from a thread on here.

This seems to a fairly recent development is it not? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't remember having seen newspapers doing this until fairly recently.

I'm just wondering what has prompted them to start quoting specific posters from this forum?

First Team Breakthrough seven nowt's Avatar
    I dare the ballbags to quote this post..

.. last few seasons the PR machine at Easter Road has been so good as well, always helpful and forthcoming to the media & supporters alike.. oh aye..

As someone already mentioned, if you put something on a public forum then it can be picked up by anyone. Very lazy and tacky journalism none the less.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    What is the difference between a journalist taking quotes from hibs.net or finding some Hibs fans themselves to get a similar response?

Not really lazy just common sense surely!

They didn't seem to notice our hundreds of posts regarding the Hearts scandal, let them right off the hook there didn't they?

First Team Breakthrough Lewis77's Avatar

Weak journalism because.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post
    What is the difference between a journalist taking quotes from hibs.net or finding some Hibs fans themselves to get a similar response?

Not really lazy just common sense surely!
    It's second hand not first person contact. It's about authenticity and accuracy. There is no way to verify the truth of a nameless person on a forum. For example it may not be a Hibs fan, could just be someone masquerading as one.

It's shoddy weak and lazy journalism which sadly is killing the media industry in my opinion.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Premature hysteria? On Hibs.net?

Shurely shome mishtake here?

Put anything up here - you can be quoted. It's not 'shoddy journalism', either - it's journalists using every source available to them.

Some of us can be so sensitive sometimes ....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    Premature hysteria? On Hibs.net?

Shurely shome mishtake here?

Put anything up here - you can be quoted. It's not 'shoddy journalism', either - it's journalists using every source available to them.

Some of us can be so sensitive sometimes ....
    Headline tomorrow........."drunken Hibs fan calling himself Doddie even slurs his words in print!"

Spike, if it's the one in the Sun you're referring too it was written by Kenny Miller (no, not the new new Hun ) and he frequents these boards enough to quote those he is sure are Hibs fans
    This is how it feels

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Spike, if it's the one in the Sun you're referring too it was written by Kenny Miller (no, not the new new Hun ) and he frequents these boards enough to quote those he is sure are Hibs fans
    It was in a few papers Jonnyboy. Didn't know if he 'reported' it or copied it from elsewhere.

It was in a few papers Jonnyboy. Didn't know if he 'reported' it or copied it from elsewhere.
    I knew it was in the Sun because in a moment of weakness I read it in the cafe this morning
    This is how it feels

Just heard from Kenny. He didn't write that article and was as surprised as anyone else that his name had been attached to it!
    This is how it feels

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Headline tomorrow........."drunken Hibs fan calling himself Doddie even slurs his words in print!"
    Or even "drunken Hibs fan calling himself Doddie revealed as media tycoon Lord Gnome"?

Next one - "Media tycoon Lord Gnome in takeover bid for Hibs"!

Third one - "Lord Gnome statement on Hibs takeover - 'shurely shome mishtake'".

Re journalists printing net posts, how often is it that we hear reporters on radio and tv referring to Wikipedia as a source? Let's remember - it's not 100 % fact.

Lazy sods.

If any of the tabloids quote one of my pearls of wisdom, can someone give me a heads up please? My CV needs a bit of pizazz and writing for the Sun/Express/Evening News etc under 'Hobbies' is probably better than 'socialising'.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    If any of the tabloids quote one of my pearls of wisdom, can someone give me a heads up please? My CV needs a bit of pizazz and writing for the Sun/Express/Evening News etc under 'Hobbies' is probably better than 'socialising'.
    This is how it feels