hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough timewilltell's Avatar

Everton fans on Stubbs to Hibs

Everton fans seem pleased!

http://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/alan-stubbs-to-talk-to-hibernian-about-vacant-managers-job.68029/

2. Log in to remove the advert

Not exactly a ringing endorsement...

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Can't open the link on my phone, what does it say?

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Time will tell.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They`re all crossing their fingers and seem desperate for him to take the job.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wonder what he's done to piss them off? .............maybe he told some of them to **** off!

Its a bit bizarre, they want him to leave but then suggest that he takes youngsters on loan, with him?? Not sure what the issue is tbh.

Do Everton fans not dislike him because he supposedly encouraged Rooney to force a move to Man Utd through?

Sure he is reported to have told Rooney to look after himself and go to a bigger club and because he and Rooney shared an agent a lot of Everton fans thought it was a bit dodgy.

Don't think it's anything to do with his coaching ability. Everton have had a fair few good youngsters in recent years and he must have played a part in that.

Everyone just needs to calm down, calm down.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    To summarise, we're probably kinder on here towards Craig Levein and Rudi Skacel than they've been towards Alan Stubbs on that particular thread!

Testimonial Due
    seems like yet another cheap / poor choice from hibs, whilst I no nothing about what he has done with a reserve team what makes him any better than simply appointing our own reserve team manager...and we would not do that.

@hibs.net private member BoltonHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Do Everton fans not dislike him because he supposedly encouraged Rooney to force a move to Man Utd through?

Sure he is reported to have told Rooney to look after himself and go to a bigger club and because he and Rooney shared an agent a lot of Everton fans thought it was a bit dodgy.

Don't think it's anything to do with his coaching ability. Everton have had a fair few good youngsters in recent years and he must have played a part in that.
    I think you are right. He is very pally with Rooney.

@hibs.net private member Hibby Kay-Yay's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ps3 - hibby kay-yay
    Quote Originally Posted by Albion Hibs View Post
    seems like yet another cheap / poor choice from hibs, whilst I no nothing about what he has done with a reserve team what makes him any better than simply appointing our own reserve team manager...and we would not do that.
    And our reserve team manager is?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Any idea why they hate him so much? It concerns me they would be so happy for him to leave.

Could it not be argued that he's in charge of the youths at a top premiership team who's possibley been credited with helping the likes of Barkley etc coming through versus well no disrespect but James mcdonagh?

fwiw my mate was down at Everton a few weeks back and said his coaching was really good as was big Duncan ferguson.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    Any idea why they hate him so much? It concerns me they would be so happy for him to leave.
    See my post above.

It's all to do with his supposed role in Rooneys move away from Everton.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Kay-Yay View Post
    And our reserve team manager is?
    I was referring to james mcd, in his role with the youth players. Why?

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    Could it not be argued that he's in charge of the youths at a top premiership team who's possibley been credited with helping the likes of Barkley etc coming through versus well no disrespect but James mcdonagh?

fwiw my mate was down at Everton a few weeks back and said his coaching was really good as was big Duncan ferguson.
    i am more concerned about the reaction of their fans, imagine the situation where james mcd left hibs, I don't think there is any way there would be that kind of reaction. Plus, being blunt we are fighting to get out of the division and I am struggling, albeit I don't know to see what he could realistically bring as a manager.

Left by mutual consent!
    Think it's possibly because of his defence of Rooney's move to United and also possibly something to do with him being seen as part of Moyes' (who they now hate) back room staff.

See my post above.

They also mention the old guard, possibly about him being backroom staff under Moyes, they were also delighted to get shot of Moyes IIRC.

i am more concerned about the reaction of their fans, imagine the situation where james mcd left hibs, I don't think there is any way there would be that kind of reaction. Plus, being blunt we are fighting to get out of the division and I am struggling, albeit I don't know to see what he could realistically bring as a manager.
    I wouldn't pay too much attention to that as stated above it seems that's for non football or ability reasons the 'hatred' towards him reading that site.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    See my post above.

Yeah I saw your post just after posting. Is that alone worth them calling him a parasite, the old guard etc though? If he's done good work at Everton then the Rooney thing would be overlooked eventually.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    I wouldn't pay too much attention to that as stated above it seems that's for non football or ability reasons the 'hatred' towards him reading that site.
    Yep.

Going by the comments it seems to me like they just want rid of everything Moyes. Talk of them getting someone in to teach the youngsters Martinez's way etc

Seemingly there's only so much hub caps he can take losing so wants out

Quote Originally Posted by BoltonHibee View Post
    I think you are right. He is very pally with Rooney.
    Rooney for Lewis Stevenson's testimonial? :P

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    Yeah I saw your post just after posting. Is that alone worth them calling him a parasite, the old guard etc though? If he's done good work at Everton then the Rooney thing would be overlooked eventually.
    It seems to me to be an issue that's always been there but overlooked when Moyes was in charge and now that he's gone they're quite happy to get rid of "the old guard" and bring in new staff to suit Everton's new style.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Would be an interesting appointment, and one I would welcome should Hibs go down that road.

However, as always, any appointment is a risk - and David Weir was a complete disaster when leaving a similar role at Everton to manage Sheffield United.

Let's see what happens...

A Hibby asked them on their forum and some boy explained it quite thoroughly:

Confused Hibee said: ↑
    Just out of interest/confusion/worry/paranoia, why do you all hate him so much?

Thanks for any info.

"For a number of reasons, though none of them will probably adversely affect his ability to do a job for Hibs.

He portrays himself as a boyhood Evertonian, yet this has never shone through in his actions. He was Everton captain when a 16 year old Rooney came into the team, and very publicly took Rooney 'under his wing'. Part of this saw Rooney change his agent to Stubbs' agent (Paul Stretford). From then onwards, Stubbs and Stretford were heavily influential in persuading Rooney that he had to leave Everton and go to Man Utd when they came knocking. Before Euro 2004, Stubbs made several public comments in interviews about how, if 'the big clubs came knocking' that Rooney should go. The Everton captain was advising our star player and the best young player of his generation to leave Everton.

A year later, we finished 4th and qualified for the Champions League qualifying round. Stubbs, the Everton captain, was out of contract. Rather than stay to play in the Champions League with his supposed boyhood club, he left for more money, going to Sunderland in a bizarre move. On his way out, he made rather unsavoury allegations about Everton, relating to 'health clauses' and things of that nature, that Everton denied. Stubbs later admitted he was wrong and apologised for his comments. Stubbs lasted 4 months at Sunderland, before Moyes - after a disastrous start to the 2005/06 season saw us flirting with a relegation battle and Moyes' star defender signing Per Kroldrup being a major flop - brought Stubbs back in January 2006.

Stubbs ended up finishing his career with us (well apart from a few months at Derby at the very end), rose up through the backroom staff ranks and has ended up Reserve team manager. He's never been particularly inspiring. The reserves never seem to challenge for the league title. The reserve games that I personally have seen, the team doesn't seem to play particularly great football. Also, similar to the Rooney situation referenced earlier, for a supposed boyhood Evertonian, Stubbs always seems to be putting his foot in it publicly. His most recent faux pas was going on Talksport last year AFTER the transfer window had closed and everything had settled down, saying that Leighton Baines had wanted to go to Man Utd, and that the club had blocked the move. Several months later, Baines completely denied this and said he never wanted to leave Everton or had any intention of leaving.

Basically Stubbs is a big mouth, doesn't think before speaking, the comments he makes are of a questionable nature as it relates to the truth, he has a propensity for making damaging comments that hurt the club, has never really been universally liked by the fans (he was seen as a bit of an old-school yard-dog defender as a player) and his actual ability as a coach is questionable.

Other than that, I'm sure he'll be fine for you."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD