hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

No to Ian Murray

I really hope that murray doesn't get the job...I like murray, hes a good hibby and all that but I think this job is just too big for him at the moment. I reckon he will turn out to be a great manager and hopefully one day will be good enough to take the helm and take hibs forward but now isnt the time

2. Log in to remove the advert

This.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    We don't know if the job is too big for him, we can't possibly know. Terry Butcher was England captain, Rangers captain, played at World Cups, Euros, managed at various levels over a 20 year period, and the job was too big for him. Tony Mowbray was a young coach at Ipswich who had spent the majority of his career as a no nonsense centre half and decent leader of men - yet he came in and was a revelation. There are lots of other examples either way.

I can completely understand why people don't fancy Ian for the job, but we can't know if the job is too big for him. FWIW, I think he knows exactly what's required here.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    As well as appointing a new manager we need to put a proper structure in place, supported by good scouting and a consistent approach from youth teams to 1st team.

I think Ian Murray could do it if properly supported, and if he bought into this model and a way of playing football. I really don't know what his ideas on playing the game are.

Left by mutual consent!
    Lets go for experience like Butcher or Williamson.

Murray is too young for the Poison Chalice ,
    let him grow and suceed somewhere, before getting knocked down here.

This coming year thou, possibly the support will cut back on the booing etc,
    We are we are, and its called support,

They deserved abuse last year, this is starting from basics

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really hope that murray doesn't get the job...I like murray, hes a good hibby and all that but I think this job is just too big for him at the moment. I reckon he will turn out to be a great manager and hopefully one day will be good enough to take the helm and take hibs forward but now isnt the time
    Too big for him? He is a Championship manager with career on the up and we are a Championship club needing to go up.

I dunno if he is. I'm torn.

On the face of it he looks like he's decent, got Dumbarton playing good football and scoring ridiculous amounts of goals. I think they were top scorers in that league, Hamilton might have overtaken them by scoring 10 in the last match though.

My fear is another decent Hibby "fails". Its not fun to watch.

Sauzee wasn't ready to take the post and should never have been given it. Murray on the otherhand, around the same age as Sauzee was but at least he's cut his teeth in management.

Tough call. If we want Murray, he comes and that's about all there is to it. So the question is, do we take a chance on him? Is it even a chance because of his record?

It could go either way. We've picked who we've thought was the best option and it ended in horror. I think we might have peaked at doing low points. Things can only get better.

I think LD (and RP) will want someone to excite the fans - as an appointment and also as a brand of football. Hibs need to sell STs (or, the alternative - and highly unlikely - scenario is to get STF to invest).

Will IM excite? Perhaps as he is a Hibby/ex-player. His football at Sons is (IIRC Silver said) a long-ball to Nish.. Is that what we'd get? It's clearly not what most want..

In his favour, IM knows the Chumpionship and has done exceptionally well in a short time there.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ** T * Q * M ** View Post
    I think LD (and RP) will want someone to excite the fans - as an appointment and also as a brand of football. Hibs need to sell STs (or, the alternative - and highly unlikely - scenario is to get STF to invest).

Ha ha the 'OPERATION #TBGAWA' season ticket marketing will become a collectors item.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    I don't want Murray as manager but it's nothing to do with the experience argument.

Clubs a lot bigger than us have appointed managers with no experience in management, Barcelona, Celtic, the rangers and
    Milan and Tottenham spring to mind straight away.

I don't want him though as I've just never been that impressed when I've heard him talk or read his interviews

Say no to the long ball. Football on the deck please.

If we opt for the simple fan-pandering solution of installing Murray as manager we will be down for a few seasons: we need to go for a manager who has actually "achieved" something and who not only fancies the challenge of taking us out of the Championship, but who can also achieve that objective ... and do it in the right direction too.

Left by mutual consent!

Will IM excite? Perhaps as he is a Hibby/ex-player. His football at Sons is (IIRC Silver said) a long-ball to Nish.. Is that what we'd get? It's clearly not what most want..

In his favour, IM knows the Chumpionship and has done exceptionally well in a short time there.
    Im pretty sure LD will pick a manager to manage Hibs not to excite the fans, if the manager gets results and plays a brand off football pleasing to the eye then the fans will return.

Btw i have no idea who i would like to be manager of Hibs but im not discounting Murray, my only reservations is that i hear his team don't play the most attractive football

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    Ha ha the 'OPERATION #TBGAWA' season ticket marketing will become a collectors item.
    If Petrie doesnt get an attack of the cringes everytime he sees TBGAWA then he's no human.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    If we opt for the simple fan-pandering solution of installing Murray as manager we will be down for a few seasons: we need to go for a manager who has actually "achieved" something and who not only fancies the challenge of taking us out of the Championship, but who can also achieve that objective ... and do it in the right direction too.
    When you say achieve things do you mean won league titles and won cups? might be a hard task

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar

That was the style on the 2 occasions i seen them play, it works for them though but it isn't pretty to watch, Murray wouldn't be my choice for the Hibs job but if he is offered it he would take it no doubt, got to remember is that his team may be battling down at the bottom of the league next season and he may just think i will take the gamble and apply for the Hibs job.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    If Petrie doesnt get an attack of the cringes everytime he sees TBGAWA then he's no human.

Quote Originally Posted by nribs View Post
    Lets go for experience like Butcher or Williamson.
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson is looking for a move up north.

Quote Originally Posted by ****gy View Post
    Murray is too young for the Poison Chalice ,
    let him grow and suceed somewhere, before getting knocked down here.

This coming year thou, possibly the support will cut back on the booing etc,
    We are we are, and its called support,

They deserved abuse last year, this is starting from basics
    You call the club a poisoned chalice and say let him succeed elsewhere before getting knocked down here.
    Then you start on the fans for booing and being negative.
    I bet life is a real mystery to you.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    I don't agree it's a poisoned chalice.

Its a clean slate for someone to bring in their whole squad.

They're likely to get time as well as expectations are lower than they've ever been. Barring a disaster of butcher proportions they'll get at least 2 years to succeed.

As long as Petrie is still at the club pulling the strings in the background, any newly appointed manager will still be working under the handicap of his financial strictures regarding attracting decent players by offering a realistic remuneration package, commensurate with the marketplace.

Quote Originally Posted by joebakerforever View Post
    As long as Petrie is still at the club pulling the strings in the background, any newly appointed manager will still be working under the handicap of his financial strictures regarding attracting decent players by offering a realistic remuneration package, commensurate with the marketplace.

Provided Murray sets his teams out the right way to play attacking football, which by all accounts he does, then I'm happy for him to be given the job.
    The job he has done at Dumbarton has been terrific.
    I'm not saying he should get it just that I have no worries if he does.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Provided Murray sets his teams out the right way to play attacking football, which by all accounts he does, then I'm happy for him to be given the job.
    I think I agree but i reserve the right to change my mind

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    I remember an interview with Ian a couple of years back where he talked about Yogi's time coming to an end when teams worked out how to play against us, and Hughes had no answer. In the same interview he praised Hamilton as the best team in the Championship at the time because he said that they could adapt their formation and playing style several times during a game if necessary, depending on circumstances.

I have no idea how Dumbarton play, but I highly doubt that Ian is doing his A Coaching License in order to spend his managerial career instructing CHs to launch a ball to a bit centre forward. I would imagine that he is rather pragmatic in his style, and will do what is most effective at the time for his side. His success at Dumbarton has been incredible, regardless of how it has been achieved.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Ive heard they hoof it up to Nish . I think we should let LD get who she thinks is the right man for the job and we should keep our opinions to ourselves .
    Petrie out .

Ggtth

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHIBBY View Post
    This

Nows not the time for a rookie. We need a steady hand. Let him develop at Dumbarton.

Also is it only at Hibs, fans feel that they should hire ex-hibby's as managers? I'm struggling to think of one that's worked. They pretty much all been disasters.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    I remember an interview with Ian a couple of years back where he talked about Yogi's time coming to an end when teams worked out how to play against us, and Hughes had no answer. In the same interview he praised Hamilton as the best team in the Championship at the time because he said that they could adapt their formation and playing style several times during a game if necessary, depending on circumstances.

I have no idea how Dumbarton play, but I highly doubt that Ian is doing his A Coaching License in order to spend his managerial career instructing CHs to launch a ball to a bit centre forward. I would imagine that he is rather pragmatic in his style, and will do what is most effective at the time for his side. His success at Dumbarton has been incredible, regardless of how it has been achieved.
    I spoke to a championship player last night who has played against Dumbarton, he said Murray sets his teams up 4-1-3-2 and are very adaptable. The midfield 3 get forward very quickly as do the full backs. The ball moves quickly and mostly on the deck. He was amazed at the transformation Murray had overseen in such a short space of time.