hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: Did You Think He Was the One!

Voters
248. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I Thought He Was The Answer

181 72.98%
  • Yes, He Was the Answer But Petrie Made His Job Impossible

22 8.87%
  • No He Had a Record of Screwing Up Elsewhere

35 14.11%
  • No, I Am Never Wrong.

12 4.84%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes I Backed Butcher

Anybody willing to fess up and say they were one of the people on here that thought Butcher was the answer?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anybody willing to fess up and say they were one of the people on here that thought Butcher was the answer?
    Me. I thought 100% he was the man to sort us. Sadly I was so wrong and happy to hold my hands up and say.

@hibs.net private member BoltonHibee's Avatar
    No, never thought that. Knew his football would be brutal but never thought for 1 minute he would relegate us!

I did. I thought a character like Butcher would motivate the dressing room and install a bit of physical and mental toughness into the team. Sadly he turned an average team (no where near good enough but capable of staying in the SPL) into a complete bunch of pathetic, gutless relegation team.

I knew he wouldn't be the manager next season due to his silence over the past couple weeks.

First Team Breakthrough Yuillsy's Avatar
    I did. I thought he was a brilliant appointment. More than happy to admit I was wrong.

I was against him at the start, but changed my mind when he seemed to have us turning the corner. I thought, 'here's a chap who knows his stuff and has brought in a strong management team.'

Then...

Left by mutual consent!
    Na.

Started the get out TB thread as early as February. Knew it was going to be a disaster.

Wish I'd been cooler about it

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Me. I thought 100% he was the man to sort us. Sadly I was so wrong and happy to hold my hands up and say.
    ditto

First Team Breakthrough davehiby's Avatar
    i thought he was doing a great job in inverness but said if it went pear shaped there must be something rotten further up the tree !

Yeah I thought that with that whole team in place that we would really challenge. What an incredible disaster it turned out to be.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Nope. I am never wrong!

Seriously though, while I never thought that he would be the disaster that he was, I didn't think he would bring overnight success to ER. I was still disappointed at the manner in which we had parted company with Fenlon, who I felt was an honest man, who saw the club as bigger than himself and would succeed given time proportionate to the size of the task at hand. I felt we had progressed the previous season, and although we struggled creatively at the start of the season, we weren't all that far away from a decent side. The players still wanted to play for him IMO, and he was unfortunate to have deals for Griffiths and Claros ripped up at the last minute by their parent clubs. The unreasonable demonstrations against him made his position untenable, and those who chased him out the door should take a good hard look at themselves before they start pointing fingers again.

I wanted Ian Murray to come in if anyone had to replace Pat. I keep hearing that he plays hoofball, but I don't think it's fair to expect him to get more out of a part time team and still come so close to reaching the Champ/SPFL playoff. He went there and was nearly instantly successful, which suggested to me that he knows how to get the best out of any group of players he comes across, and the intelligence to put his message across to the players.

I had high hopes for Butcher though, and supported his appointment in the hope it would unite the club and bring the restless supporters who ousted Pat back into the fold.

I said at the time of Fenlon's departure that nothing would change at the club until Petrie left and although I started to get a bit more optimistic after the first 5 or 6 weeks of Butcher's reign when things were looking up, ultimately my suspicions were proved to be correct.

Not ashamed to admit with what he'd done with ict I thought he would be a fantastic manager, but it wasn't to be and now quite happy for leeann to ignore any suggestions I make and do it her way.

Gives me no satisfaction to say I didn't want him.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSeven View Post
    I did. I thought a character like Butcher would motivate the dressing room and install a bit of physical and mental toughness into the team. Sadly he turned an average team (no where near good enough but capable of staying in the SPL) into a complete bunch of pathetic, gutless relegation team.

I knew he wouldn't be the manager next season due to his silence over the past couple weeks.
    I said exactly the same earlier today, how he could mess up so bad is a feat in itself!!

First Team Breakthrough John_the_angus_hibby's Avatar
    I did as well. He seemed to come across as a winner, great network for hidden gems etc. So what the hell do I know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Initially I was not overly impressed but changed my opinion when all the hype on .net started and was totally up for his appointment when it came.I am a pretty optimistic guy though and its only really Bertie Aulds name that sends shudders down my spine.

IIRC I wasn't sure about him before he was appointed but his chat upon appointment had me bought into it.

@hibs.net private member semaj64's Avatar
    Yes thought it was good appointment and am disappointed that he did not match expectations. Started to go wrong when obvious changes in the play were not carried out. Thought Ben Williams summed it up petty well on sportsound earlier

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I thought he'd do it. The fact that one win against Hearts would have kept us up, and he couldn't motivate the team to deliver it, shows how wrong I was.

The clown even did his victory routine when we won at Hamilton. Probably the mist disastrous manager ever, and nearly every one of us fell for it.

Ironically, if Petrie hadn't got him, he'd have been lynched. It seemed like the perfect answer. Be interesting to hear EXACTLY what was going on at Inverness. Maybe he wasn't as well liked as people thought.

I really thought he was going to do much better than how it worked out. I even doubted that he'd be willing to come to Hibs, as it meant putting his successful spell in management on the line.

It seems that the best managerial appointments are the ones that weren't the fans choice.

On the back of his overall track record I didn't think he was the answer. Worked up some (quickly erased) enthusiausm for him and hoped it would come right. Never thought he'd get us relegated, though.

So right about him, but wrong about how bad it would get.

I really thought that Butcher would have taken us to another level, and backed and praised him, even!
    How right I was, he really did take us to another level - division 2!!

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I welcomed his appointment 100% However, the club has been rotten to the core for some time now and was never going to work for him. Good luck Terry, wrong club wrong time!

Quote Originally Posted by cleanyman View Post
    Na.

Started the get out TB thread as early as February. Knew it was going to be a disaster.

Wish I'd been cooler about it

But what was your view when he was first appointed?

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I was delighted when he and his team were appointed.

Most people, but not all, were the same.

I remember laughing when someone posted that if we didn't get Marsella too, there was no point.

Hibs made an ambitious and costly appointment, but Butcher didn't know how to build relationships with seasoned pros.

Young players may be willing, and able, to put up with his style of management, but it doesn't work with everyone.

Kevin Thomson has played at the highest levels - EPL, the Champions League, his country etc - and to expect him to fall in line with that dictatorial style of management was naive.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    But what was your view when he was first appointed?
    I said we should have went for Stuart Mccall and I was a tad disappointed.....I think anyway.

He'll have no interest in the job now.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post
    Yep, mark me down in the “over the moon“ category with TB appointment......as were many on here!

I think most were happy enough, I do remember reading a few though who had concerns. I thought his no nonsense attitude would have worked I didn't actually stop and look at how his record was or the football he played.

I feel sorry on Butcher, the man aged about 10 years in that job. Malpas I couldn't care less. But I do feel TB tried but got his man management and tactics horribly wrong.

But one last thing..... TOLD YOU ALL he wouldn't be here come the new season ;D

I was chuffed when he got the job, just shows what I know

Sent from my iphone