hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member R'Albin's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Razza96

Alex McLeish willing to take on a 'suitable project' as a manager

http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...all-management

This interview was just posted on SS website. No idea if he's hinting at the Hibs job or if it's just a coincidence.

Former Rangers and Aston Villa manager Alex McLeish says he is keen to get back into management after more than a year out the game.
    McLeish, who won two SPL titles, two Scottish Cups and three League Cups during his time at Ibrox, admits he would be tempted back into management if a 'suitable project' came along.
    The Scot, out of the game since being relieved of his post at Nottingham Forest in February 2013, is open to offers and would consider moving abroad for the right position.
    Speaking to Sky Sports News he said: "It's a little bit frustrating. It would be nice to get a wee opportunity again. Maybe even a change of scenery if nothing happens for me in England.
    "But I would certainly like to get back into the English game as I feel I still have a bit to offer and there is still a bit of success in me yet.
    "There have been one or two things recently but I would like to get a project now that we can say 'let's have a real go at this. Two or three years with a chairman owner who has similar kind of ideas to my own."
    McLeish, who won the 2011 League Cup during his time in charge of Birmingham City, has already been linked with the managerial vacancy at former club Hibernian following the departure of Terry Butcher.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I wouldn't want him. He doesn't look to have the same drive he had 15 years ago.

A 'Project' is certainly one way to describe Hibs right now

@hibs.net private member
    Just don't see it, he even says on the above he's looking to get back into "the English game.

First Team Breakthrough Devilstorment's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Devilstorment PSN ID: Devilstorment
    Im not sure if this is the media just bringing out the same story to link it to the hibs situation, but in his previous interview he went on to say that the project would involve a chairman/owner with ambition.... i.e. money to spend

Left by mutual consent!
    I'd rather have Henry McLeish

Would take mcleish defo . Did it before and played exciting football . Would also take Mowbray . Just not sure either would drop to championship .

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs History View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A 'Project' is certainly one way to describe Hibs right now
    Americans call the worst housing in their cities "projects". Kind of sums us up.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheBull1875
    No thanks GJP.

Testimonial Due RoslinInstHibby's Avatar
    I would have him back.....created the best hibs side i have seen in the flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by hwuhibby View Post
    I would have him back.....created the best hibs side i have seen in the flesh.
    With a ****load of money to help him do it. Has he succeeded anywhere post ER where he's not been able to outspend the opposition?

People need to type sauzee into YouTube and watch all the videos of MacLeish and his team.
    Outstanding

Testimonial Due
    Blog Entries
    he should have been brought it for the last 5 games and we wouldn't be where we are now..

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney McGrew View Post
    With a ****load of money to help him do it. Has he succeeded anywhere post ER where he's not been able to outspend the opposition?
    Scotland

First Team Breakthrough bandylegs_jLeighton's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: dmcattack
    I don't know if he is a realistic possibility, but out of all the names being banded about, he would be my favourite.

Experienced, has won things (including the 1st division last time here), would have contacts with regards to signings, and knows how to beat Hearts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Barney McGrew View Post
    Agree. Fenlon was similar in that his success came with relative financial muscle in the Irish leagues. The bottom line is that if we get good players next season and the manager isn't a mentalist we will do well. If we get rubbish players then I doubt even Alex Ferguson would be able to do much good. Mourhino is an example of a manager who can create something greater than the sum of their parts, but Im stumped if I can think of a manager in our bracket that would fit that type.

In short: identify good hard fighting pros with decent ability, and the manager doesn't need to do all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarter1 View Post
    Agree. Fenlon was similar in that his success came with relative financial muscle in the Irish leagues. The bottom line is that if we get good players next season and the manager isn't a mentalist we will do well. If we get rubbish players then I doubt even Alex Ferguson would be able to do much good. Mourhino is an example of a manager who can create something greater than the sum of their parts, but Im stumped if I can think of a manager in our bracket that would fit that type.

In short: identify good hard fighting pros with decent ability, and the manager doesn't need to do all that much.
    please qualify and quantify. we thought we had "good players" and we thought we'd got a manger that wisnae a mentalist. see how we ended up, this year.

Quote Originally Posted by nribs View Post
    I'd rather have Henry McLeish
    How anyone could dismiss him is beyond me. He's as big as a name we can be lucky to be linked with. I'd love him to come back to hibs to be honest.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Away and count your shekels, Alex.

"You can't reheat a soufflé" - George Harrison

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Would clearly only want to use the club as a stepping stone to bigger things............ Again.

We need a long term fix not just a year or 18 months then looking for another manager again.

Left by mutual consent!
    I've read a few interviews in which he has been talking about Hibs this season and he seems to understand what is expected at the club and he knows where the club have gone wrong

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarter1 View Post

Next season we will be in a position of strong 'relative financial muscle'.

McLeish would be great but don't see it.

Left by mutual consent!

Hkhibby

Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    I've read a few interviews in which he has been talking about Hibs this season and he seems to understand what is expected at the club and he knows where the club have gone wrong
    I personally would have mcleish no problem, and good possibility he would take us up to spfl after one season, which is what we all want after all, but cant help think that he would be putting himself in the shop window again with this and someone else could come in for him soon after.....and that club could be Rangers!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    If he knows where the club has gone wrong then maybe he could tell us since no-one can really define the actual problems within the club

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    i'd drive him back up the road myself

Big Eck

Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    How anyone could dismiss him is beyond me. He's as big as a name we can be lucky to be linked with. I'd love him to come back to hibs to be honest.
    Would take him back in a heartbeat. Lucky enough to know the guy through a pal. He loved his time at Hibs and in Edinburgh and was blown away how big we were as a club as he said to me. He's no Ranger's fanatic but was brought up to watch Ranger's now and again and his brother is a big Ranger's man.Big deal, that's people's choice's but a less bigoted man you could never meet. An absolute gentleman who has ALWAYS talked to me about Hibs in glowing terms. Bear in mind, he was offered 3 times the salary at Ibrox that he was getting at Easter Road, fact. No probs with someone taking that offer. Not Anti-Hibs choice at the time, just a step along ambition wise and fiscally. Let's not forget that laterally we had a few dodgy results under Alex's stewardship but by jeez we had some great perfomances and splendid player's coming in who put the *****r's up Hertzalona and others! Take Alex back NOW!

@hibs.net private member
    McLeish is a "first team" manager. He has no history, or interest, in building a club from academy through to the top team. He is a manager who likes a decent budget to play with. He also would leave us as soon as a better offer came along , giving us no stability - as he did when in almost all of his other jobs. He is not the right man for us at this time.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    McLeish is a "first team" manager. He has no history, or interest, in building a club from academy through to the top team.
    How do you know? And how many people do have such experience?

He is a manager who likes a decent budget to play with. He also would leave us as soon as a better offer came along , giving us no stability - as he did when in almost all of his other jobs.
    I think he's mayble already had the biggest jobs he's going to get.
    He is not the right man for us at this time.
    I'm not so sure.
    Last edited by Peevemor; 11-06-2014 at 05:42 AM.

The team McLeish assembled at Hibs was excellent and I would be happy to see him back at ER.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Would clearly only want to use the club as a stepping stone to bigger things............ Again.

We need a long term fix not just a year or 18 months then looking for another manager again.

This applies to to whoever comes in, do a job turning us around other clubs will come sniffing.