hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Goc

Goc

Whilst looking at the link on the consortium thread I noticed this article. If true what a total waster.

Home
    News Scottish News Hibernian FC
    Former £16,000-a-week footballer Garry O’Connor moves into a £65-a-week council house
    Jun 09, 2014 03:00 By Gary Cruden 2 Comments
    EX-SCOTLAND star once lived in a £1.3million mansion and drove a £100,000 Ferrari but he is no longer living the high life after his career fizzled out.

17 Shares
    Tweet
    +1
    Email
    O'Connor arrives at the council house in North Berwick, right
    FORMER £16,000-a-week footballer Garry O’Connor has moved into a council house with his family.

It is thought they pay £65 a week in rent for the terraced property.

The family’s modest lifestyle is a far cry from O’Connor’s heyday when he earned a fortune, lived in a £1.3million mansion and drove a £100,000 Ferrari.

The move to the Law View estate in North Berwick, East Lothian, is the latest twist in the rise and fall of the former Scotland and Hibs star.

In a career marred by drug scandals, court appearances, debt problems and professional humiliation, O’Connor has gone from hero to zero.

At one time, he was courted by top clubs. But he last played for third-tier Morton. And they released
    him after club chirman Douglas Rae branded him lazy and out of shape.

O’Connor, from Edinburgh, began his career with Hibs.

The player, who has 16 caps for Scotland, landed a big-money transfer to Lokomotiv Moscow in 2006 but did not settle in Russia.

The first major controversy of his career came when he went AWOL before Scotland’s Euro qualifier with Ukraine.

A year later, he got a megabucks move to the English Premier League with Birmingham City.

O'Connor once starred for Lokomotiv Moscow, Scotland and Hibs
    Since then, his story has been one of unfulfilled potential.

In June 2012, O’Connor was convicted of possessing cocaine.

He was sentenced to community work but landed back in court when he repeatedly failed to turn up.

Shortly afterwards, the player was cleared of a £93,000 insurance fraud after he crashed his Ferrari Spider.

The same year, after moving to Siberia to play, O’Connor suffered a £350,000 loss when he sold his £1.3million five-bedroom house in the exclusive Archerfield estate in East Lothian for £950,000.

Last year, it was revealed that O’Connor owed large debts to creditors and that he had put a trust deed in place in a bid to avoid bankruptcy.

And earlier this year, he was taken to court by Bank of Scotland who wanted to seize his previous home in Longniddry.

East Lothian Council’s decision to allocate a house on the newly built Law View estate to O’Connor, wife Lisa and their three children, has angered some neighbours.

Irene Galloway, of Law Residents Group, said: “The area is a lovely, modern council estate. But there’s a lot of anger here that people from outside North Berwick have moved into the home.

“Local folk who didn’t get them aren’t happy.”

2. Log in to remove the advert

He's a fanny.

Lesson to be learned.An example of how not to do it.

What a waste. Could have and should have gone on to have a great career after leaving us. Hated his time in Russia by all accounts and after his time there it has been downhill all the way. Feel sorry for his wife and kids but not GOC. Had it all but threw it away.

£65 a week for a family home on a new estate. Not bad.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What a waste. Could have and should have gone on to have a great career after leaving us. Hated his time in Russia by all accounts and after his time there it has been downhill all the way. Feel sorry for his wife and kids but not GOC. Had it all but threw it away.

£65 a week for a family home on a new estate. Not bad.
    That was the main thing I thought when I read the story. Deserves everything that comes his way, fud.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Whilst looking at the link on the consortium thread I noticed this article. If true what a total waster.

Home
    News Scottish News Hibernian FC
    Former £16,000-a-week footballer Garry O’Connor moves into a £65-a-week council house
    Jun 09, 2014 03:00 By Gary Cruden 2 Comments
    EX-SCOTLAND star once lived in a £1.3million mansion and drove a £100,000 Ferrari but he is no longer living the high life after his career fizzled out.

17 Shares
    Tweet
    +1
    Email
    O'Connor arrives at the council house in North Berwick, right
    FORMER £16,000-a-week footballer Garry O’Connor has moved into a council house with his family.

It is thought they pay £65 a week in rent for the terraced property.

The family’s modest lifestyle is a far cry from O’Connor’s heyday when he earned a fortune, lived in a £1.3million mansion and drove a £100,000 Ferrari.

The move to the Law View estate in North Berwick, East Lothian, is the latest twist in the rise and fall of the former Scotland and Hibs star.

In a career marred by drug scandals, court appearances, debt problems and professional humiliation, O’Connor has gone from hero to zero.

At one time, he was courted by top clubs. But he last played for third-tier Morton. And they released
    him after club chirman Douglas Rae branded him lazy and out of shape.

O’Connor, from Edinburgh, began his career with Hibs.

The player, who has 16 caps for Scotland, landed a big-money transfer to Lokomotiv Moscow in 2006 but did not settle in Russia.

The first major controversy of his career came when he went AWOL before Scotland’s Euro qualifier with Ukraine.

A year later, he got a megabucks move to the English Premier League with Birmingham City.

O'Connor once starred for Lokomotiv Moscow, Scotland and Hibs
    Since then, his story has been one of unfulfilled potential.

In June 2012, O’Connor was convicted of possessing cocaine.

He was sentenced to community work but landed back in court when he repeatedly failed to turn up.

Shortly afterwards, the player was cleared of a £93,000 insurance fraud after he crashed his Ferrari Spider.

The same year, after moving to Siberia to play, O’Connor suffered a £350,000 loss when he sold his £1.3million five-bedroom house in the exclusive Archerfield estate in East Lothian for £950,000.

Last year, it was revealed that O’Connor owed large debts to creditors and that he had put a trust deed in place in a bid to avoid bankruptcy.

And earlier this year, he was taken to court by Bank of Scotland who wanted to seize his previous home in Longniddry.

East Lothian Council’s decision to allocate a house on the newly built Law View estate to O’Connor, wife Lisa and their three children, has angered some neighbours.

Irene Galloway, of Law Residents Group, said: “The area is a lovely, modern council estate. But there’s a lot of anger here that people from outside North Berwick have moved into the home.

“Local folk who didn’t get them aren’t happy.”
    Opening trust deeds for the kids to avoid Bankruptcy ,wonder if Rod is his accountant .and giving fatherly advice still .

Tragic waste of talent but a reminder that some people don't cope with fame and money too early in life and squander it and it doesn't bring happiness Hope for his family's sake and his own that he puts all that behind him now .

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    Opening trust deeds for the kids to avoid Bankruptcy ,wonder if Rod is his accountant .and giving fatherly advice still .

Tragic waste of talent but a reminder that some people don't cope with fame and money too early in life and squander it and it doesn't bring happiness Hope for his family's sake and his own that he puts all that behind him now .

sorry, but what has a trust deed got to do with his kids ? the trust deed has nothing to do with his kids

Very young man earning absurd amounts of money! He went about with the wrong group of people from a very very young age, so when fame and fortune came along he wasn't gonna get rid of them, which meant joining them in what they done! Feel sorry for Lisa and the kids but also Garry himself! It can't be easy to turn around to people that have been friends all your life and tell them to beat it because your now famous! Hopefully he can build his life back up from now! Garry O'connor was a fantastic player for the hibs and made us about £2m all in!

He is only 31 but has snorted his talent away. Now fat and unfit. Him and Riordan share a brain cell between them.

Hind sight is always 20/20 but he should never have returned to Hibs after being released by Barnsley. I still remember his shambolic performance (among many) in the 1-5 final. Running the ball along the half-way line, from one touchline to the other, then blootering it to nowhere - then subbed.

I hope he overcomes his demons.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Irene Galloway sounds like one of those right pain in the arse neighbours. "Oooh we dinnae like outsiders round these here parts".

What's GOC going to do with himself now? Obviously it looks like he'll not be making any money out of playing football anymore. My missus work has a branch surgery in North Berwick, they had been looking for a new receptionist, but they got someone a week or so ago, so he's missed out there. There was a sign up in the chippy last week saying they needed staff. One of the boys working there is a Hibby too, maybe he can get work there?

Who's got a job for GOC? :)

Lived the dream we all dreamed and couldn'y handle it.
    Hows he going to afford the £65 a week for his hoose though. Social

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Very young man earning absurd amounts of money! He went about with the wrong group of people from a very very young age, so when fame and fortune came along he wasn't gonna get rid of them, which meant joining them in what they done! Feel sorry for Lisa and the kids but also Garry himself! It can't be easy to turn around to people that have been friends all your life and tell them to beat it because your now famous! Hopefully he can build his life back up from now! Garry O'connor was a fantastic player for the hibs and made us about £2m all in!
    I've nae sympathy for him at all. He made his own choices just like everyone else does. If he chose to get into all the **** he did then that's his fault not his mates.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    sorry, but what has a trust deed got to do with his kids ? the trust deed has nothing to do with his kids
    Re read article my mistake it was to avoid bankruptcy

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Irene Galloway sounds like one of those right pain in the arse neighbours. "Oooh we dinnae like outsiders round these here parts".

What's GOC going to do with himself now? Obviously it looks like he'll not be making any money out of playing football anymore. My missus work has a branch surgery in North Berwick, they had been looking for a new receptionist, but they got someone a week or so ago, so he's missed out there. There was a sign up in the chippy last week saying they needed staff. One of the boys working there is a Hibby too, maybe he can get work there?

Who's got a job for GOC? :)
    All the restaurants in nb have signs up for staff! The old QD is being turned into a Martin Whisarts gastro Pub! The lobster shack at the harbour are always short of people,,plenty of jobs here!

The new estate had a waiting list longer than a queue at Harrods opening day sale so don't know how he managed to get one. The young families in NB can't afford a house and they were cheap so I actually get her point!

Terry lives in a North Berwick as well so perhaps they can job hunt together?

Such a shame to read stories like this. Can call him a fanny idiot arse everything we want but he was a hero all those years ago. Gutting to read such a story. Shame he never made it bigger than he did to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by hibs4thecup1988 View Post
    Such a shame to read stories like this. Can call him a fanny idiot arse everything we want but he was a hero all those years ago. Gutting to read such a story. Shame he never made it bigger than he did to be honest.
    He did make it bigger by about 3 stone!

I also remember him as a15 year old knocking back the beer outside spar in port seton in his hibs training gear.,.hoped then he would grow up!

However, he was also very accommodating when living in longniddry when my laddie then aged 11 knocked on his door and asked him to come for a kick about . He put his baby to bed and went out to play street football so for me I'm very sad for a guy who was talented and had a good heart.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I've nae sympathy for him at all. He made his own choices just like everyone else does. If he chose to get into all the **** he did then that's his fault not his mates.
    Of course it is. But if your brought up with boys who turn out to be wasters, and you make a name for yourself earning megabucks, you can't ignore your childhood, they're all still your friends, and you still go about with them! Yes it's Garry's choice what happens in his life but if your in your early 20s earning hundreds of thousands a year and probably getting these things pushed towards you, it would probably be hard to walk away from!

First Team Breakthrough
    I know it's typical of the media of today but I can't help but feel this 'story' is disgraceful. Everyone knows the troubles he's had and this publication of someone's home and family space just feels like an unnecessary attack.

Okay the guy ****ed up badly, but stop following him ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Hibs View Post
    He did make it bigger by about 3 stone!

I also remember him as a15 year old knocking back the beer outside spar in port seton in his hibs training gear.,.hoped then he would grow up!

However, he was also very accommodating when living in longniddry when my laddie then aged 11 knocked on his door and asked him to come for a kick about . He put his baby to bed and went out to play street football so for me I'm very sad for a guy who was talented and had a good heart.
    That's it for me, he's not a bad laddie, never ever has been... Just made a few wrong turns and got himself in a mess!

That's it for me, he's not a bad laddie, never ever has been... Just made a few wrong turns and got himself in a mess!

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Surely North Berwick isn't that bad a place to land?

I'm more scared about where does he go from here

First Team Breakthrough
    Great post. Big gary has obviously made a mess of his life and no one need tell him , he knows. I'll remember some great times he gave us hibees along with deek .the nightmare of the last few years makes me wish for real passionate players who wear the top with pride. Just like gary o'connor

Crazy to think this was only 2 years ago http://youtu.be/QgT8WEGtkvA

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee_kane96 View Post
    I know it's typical of the media of today but I can't help but feel this 'story' is disgraceful. Everyone knows the troubles he's had and this publication of someone's home and family space just feels like an unnecessary attack.
    It's true, I bet if you were to go down to were he is living the people down there are not feeling down on there luck or feeling like they're living in poverty like that article suggests.
    It's typical tabloid pish, we should leave the guy to rebuild his life.
    He will always be remembered fondly by me, especially for his goal in the game against them when Brebner was sent off.
    Good luck big man.

Jesus Christ, the amount of people putting the boot in here. How many of us are arbiters of what is good and proper, like? Have we never made mistakes? The guy had 'everything'? He certainly didn't have the support network, the education or the guidance to handle 'everything'. He's a normal lad fae Port Seton, who would never in his dreams (like most of us) have been a millionaire.

How many of us know what that feels like? How many of us know that we wouldn't have ****ed it up big time for ourselves? I don't think many of us do, so I despair at posters putting the boot in and jumping upon the moral high ground regarding a situation that they don't understand.

From all accounts, he's a very nice laddie with a good heart who's took a few wrong turns and acted the arse. That's about it. He's exactly like most people, like most of us, but without the gift of anonymity.

If we want to blame something (as is the culture on these boards and beyond) we can blame the culture. A footballing career does not prepare you for those troubles that success brings, and maybe that's where Hibs as his employers from an early age fell short. Maybe Hibs weren't prepared to deal with the pressures of money and fame on their players. They get blamed for everything else (with good cause, usually), so why no', eh!

Garry O'Connor is a Hibs hero. A local lad and a fan who lived the dream we all dream. He's had his ups 'n' downs, but he's not a bad person. And none of you are of any authority to judge anyone. He's a product of his environment, as many of us are with our quibbling and finger-pointing.

Nae one's 'evil' or 'bad' or any of that *****. We're all just trying to get by and do the best for ourselves and our families and our friends. We need to stop feeding into this culture of blaming and shaming people. It's disgusting. All you're doing is propagating and feeding the same culture and the same world that has led O'Connor to where he is now. Targeting the weak is bad enough, but it's especially bad when the target of choice is one of our own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFamous1875 View Post
    Jesus Christ, the amount of people putting the boot in here. How many of us are arbiters of what is good and proper, like? Have we never made mistakes? The guy had 'everything'? He certainly didn't have the support network, the education or the guidance to handle 'everything'. He's a normal lad fae Port Seton, who would never in his dreams (like most of us) have been a millionaire.

How many of us know what that feels like? How many of us know that we wouldn't have ****ed it up big time for ourselves? I don't think many of us do, so I despair at posters putting the boot in and jumping upon the moral high ground regarding a situation that they don't understand.

From all accounts, he's a very nice laddie with a good heart who's took a few wrong turns and acted the arse. That's about it. He's exactly like most people, like most of us, but without the gift of anonymity.

If we want to blame something (as is the culture on these boards and beyond) we can blame the culture. A footballing career does not prepare you for those troubles that success brings, and maybe that's where Hibs as his employers from an early age fell short. Maybe Hibs weren't prepared to deal with the pressures of money and fame on their players. They get blamed for everything else (with good cause, usually), so why no', eh!

Garry O'Connor is a Hibs hero. A local lad and a fan who lived the dream we all dream. He's had his ups 'n' downs, but he's not a bad person. And none of you are of any authority to judge anyone. He's a product of his environment, as many of us are with our quibbling and finger-pointing.

Nae one's 'evil' or 'bad' or any of that *****. We're all just trying to get by and do the best for ourselves and our families and our friends. We need to stop feeding into this culture of blaming and shaming people. It's disgusting. All you're doing is propagating and feeding the same culture and the same world that has led O'Connor to where he is now. Targeting the weak is bad enough, but it's especially bad when the target of choice is one of our own.

well said, all of it

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Crazy to think this was only 2 years ago http://youtu.be/QgT8WEGtkvA

That goal against Killie was excellent.

Is it just me, or some of the goals in there, you watch and realise how bad we were last season. The first goal is something I haven't seen at Hibs for ages. Players actually running with the ball well, with a purpose, and other players moving into space and actually wanting it!

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFamous1875 View Post

He acted the arse on that many occassions that it's perfectly acceptable for people not to feel sorry for him IMO.