hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Just read Pretty Boy's notes from meeting with Leeann Dempster

And I ask my fellow posters this at this time: what would bring more fans into Easter Road - Rod Petrie leaving Hibernian's board, or Hibernian having a successful football team on the pitch?

The general zeitgeist permeates that Petrie must go, and that is the conclusion I myself have been brought to for his handling of our football club for the last 7/8/9 years.

After reading Pretty Boy's notes from the meeting today, that Dempster has full autonomy, that our resources will be used much more considerately re players than they have been, that fan-club relations WILL be improved on tenfold, that the youth academy and recruitment of young players will be overhauled with a focus on quality rather than quantity, and that Hibernian football club WILL become a focal point of the local community and the wider area of the country, I am very heartened and eager to see the beginnings of HUGE changes to our club's structure and it's identity.

With the current consensus regarding Petrie in mind, one of which I also felt in agreement with, I ask now that if these changes do come to fruition, that we have a winning team on the park and a more engaged fan base and our standing in the community realised, will we really not see some people back if Petrie's still here? Will it really matter to us if he still has shares in our club/a seat on the board? As Dempster said, he only has as much as a say as any board member and she now calls the shots. If all goes to plan, will the man who hired the woman to bring these changes really still be held in such distain that we will not renew season tickets?

I think that if we show patience, unity and support to this new regime (as it is claiming to be) we will remember that Rod Petrie is not more important than Hibernian Football Club, and we will see success on the park and off it, and we WILL remind Leith, Edinburgh and Scotland just what Hibernian Football Club is all about. It's not about scapegoats, or pantomime villains, it's about unity, community, class and style. On and off the field.

GGTTH.

2. Log in to remove the advert

(Also, I'd just like to apologise to Leeann as she is now reading the forums for spelling her name incorrectly in the title. "It's 3am" is my excuse. If any admins can tell me how to edit it/correct it for me, that'd be great!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by TheFamous1875; 08-06-2014 at 02:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFamous1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And I ask my fellow posters this at this time: what would bring more fans into Easter Road - Rod Petrie leaving Hibernian's board, or Hibernian having a successful football team on the pitch?

The general zeitgeist permeates that Petrie must go, and that is the conclusion I myself have been brought to for his handling of our football club for the last 7/8/9 years.

After reading Pretty Boy's notes from the meeting today, that Dempster has full autonomy, that our resources will be used much more considerately re players than they have been, that fan-club relations WILL be improved on tenfold, that the youth academy and recruitment of young players will be overhauled with a focus on quality rather than quantity, and that Hibernian football club WILL become a focal point of the local community and the wider area of the country, I am very heartened and eager to see the beginnings of HUGE changes to our club's structure and it's identity.

With the current consensus regarding Petrie in mind, one of which I also felt in agreement with, I ask now that if these changes do come to fruition, that we have a winning team on the park and a more engaged fan base and our standing in the community realised, will we really not see some people back if Petrie's still here? Will it really matter to us if he still has shares in our club/a seat on the board? As Dempster said, he only has as much as a say as any board member and she now calls the shots. If all goes to plan, will the man who hired the woman to bring these changes really still be held in such distain that we will not renew season tickets?

I think that if we show patience, unity and support to this new regime (as it is claiming to be) we will remember that Rod Petrie is not more important than Hibernian Football Club, and we will see success on the park and off it, and we WILL remind Leith, Edinburgh and Scotland just what Hibernian Football Club is all about. It's not about scapegoats, or pantomime villains, it's about unity, community, class and style. On and off the field.

GGTTH.
    If all these improvements are needed, it means the current Board have failed. Plain and simple. Of course a winning team is more important than getting Petrie out, but as long as he is at the club there will be a shadow overhanging the relationship between club and fans. IMO his presence is toxic and he will become a hate figure at the club. Every poor decision, missed signing, Board cock up will be blamed on him. If this was a plc or normal company, Petrie would be gone. So why is he being allowed to hang around Hibs?

It also sends a message to everyone (players, management, media, fans and other clubs) that failure is ok at Hibs. That culture needs to change.

Very sneaky move by Petrie!

Months ago when Petrie realised he was in the last chance saloon he played his trump card by hiring a puppet to deflect attention away from him.

Those of you on here saying we should give Leanne Dempster a chance have fallen for this nonsense.

You can fool some people some of the time but not all people all of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by SkintHibby View Post
    Months ago when Petrie realised he was in the last chance saloon he played his trump card by hiring a puppet to deflect attention away from him.

Those of you on here saying we should give Leanne Dempster a chance have fallen for this nonsense.

I am in the market for some cup cakes can you help me?

Are you the guy that walked out of the meeting yesterday?

Blog Entries
    Great OP and I think when considered many will find that a position that they can accept.

I long for a time when all the things about our club that are forefront of discussion blend into the background and we get back to watching / talking football and being a positive influece in the community

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar

If that were true he should have hired a more compliant "puppet". She's no fool.

Quote Originally Posted by South Sub View Post
    If that were true he should have hired a more compliant "puppet". She's no fool.
    I give up.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I give up.

Excellent!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by South Sub View Post
    How do you know this?

You need to take the blinkers of,LD is her own person and this is a obvious as the nose on your face.Change is happening,go with it

Coaching Staff
    No disrespect to Leeann, but her reign will only be seen as being completely autonomous,if Rod goes

Perception will always triumph over reality, so even for her sake, Petrie needs to go

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weir7 View Post
    How do you know this?
    Did you listen to the interview with Grant Stott? Have you read the notes from yesterday's meeting? Do you understand what she said (you should manage - I don't remember her using any especially big words)?

If so, what is it you don't understand about what she said?

Quote Originally Posted by Weir7 View Post
    How do you know this?
    It's my opinion based on what I've read and seen of her. If skinthibby's theory was correct it would have made more sense for petrie to have selected a weaker personality to be his "puppet". Someone like David Southern.
    Last edited by Mr White; 08-06-2014 at 08:03 AM.

I give up.
    You've no staying power. Quitter.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    If all these improvements are needed, it means the current Board have failed. Plain and simple. Of course a winning team is more important than getting Petrie out, but as long as he is at the club there will be a shadow overhanging the relationship between club and fans. IMO his presence is toxic and he will become a hate figure at the club. Every poor decision, missed signing, Board cock up will be blamed on him. If this was a plc or normal company, Petrie would be gone. So why is he being allowed to hang around Hibs?

It also sends a message to everyone (players, management, media, fans and other clubs) that failure is ok at Hibs. That culture needs to change.

LD has acknowledged that Hibs have not been getting it right in many areas - separation between EM and ER, poor comms, match day experience, lack of clear plan linking all our football teams etc. Of course, this culminated with relegation.

This company has not been well run. What's wrong with the Board taking responsibility?

You make this sound like a bad episode of Batman with Rod as the evil genius. I just wonder who Batman might be?
    Last edited by Paisley Hibby; 08-06-2014 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFamous1875 View Post

GGTTH.
    If Petrie remains, I believe we will not fulfill the potential that LD may have, to take the club forward, because too many will believe that RP is still pulling strings. More fans will return, initially, if RP goes. A successful team will always bring back pissed off fans, but the secret for me, is giving LD a blank canvas to create that successful team we all want, by attracting back the pissed off fans immediately, and growing the fan base incrementally by playing the attractive football, some of us were brought up with. I accept the argument that we should all give LD the time to put her stamp on the club, it would be a lot easier if RP was not there, and the maximum of income was available to help her achieve that.

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    No disrespect to Leeann, but her reign will only be seen as being completely autonomous,if Rod goes

Perception will always triumph over reality, so even for her sake, Petrie needs to go
    Thats it in a nutshell for me. I have listened to the new CEO, and i like everything she has said. Yet i just know in my own heart that having Petrie around in the background is souring everything she says.

I just dont believe he can sit quietly in the background, i dont believe he will be able to stop himself poking his nose in where its not needed.

Now i could be completely wrong and i probably am, but i wont be spending another penny in the club until he's gone. The managers tactics and style of play have also scunnered me, but any game i go to in the future will be away games from now on.

And any season ticket i buy will be after both have disappeared into the sunset, thats how divisive they both are to me.

I will always be a fan, but its going to take a lot more to get me back as a supporter.

Why not email Leeann or phone here and ask to debate this point with you.

She said she would be happy to meet anyone 1 to 1 to discuss the extent of her power at ER.

Why not take her up on the offer? Bet you don't.

PB - The point a few are making, and one I share - is that Petrie's shadow looms large over ER and despite all the positive vibes coming from LD, the fact that she has identified so many issues in one week, tells us all how bad it was before her arrival. One move, which is RP leaving will unite the support instantly. As long as he remains, that unity is a pipe dream and makes her job so much more difficult.

Blog Entries
    some of those saying 'not a penny more till he goes' would if he did just move to 'not going back till butchers gone'.....

Those who have taken time to listen to her (something we agreed to do pre meeting) would say if you asked them that a lot of concerns were alleviated and a sense of a really strong focused leader with drive to make change (less than a week and changes are already happening) was seen.

In the Mowbury era was everything rosy in the non-football side of the operation? but no one cared as the 'product' on the park was entertaining (if very ineffective away from home - but thats another debate)

The quickest way to see supporters return is a winning, entertaining team on the pitch - much more so than Rod stepping down as Non Exec Chair.

I want a top quality operation both football and non-football, but the latter is just the scaffolding to make the former work

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    PB - The point a few are making, and one I share - is that Petrie's shadow looms large over ER and despite all the positive vibes coming from LD, the fact that she has identified so many issues in one week, tells us all how bad it was before her arrival. One move, which is RP leaving will unite the support instantly. As long as he remains, that unity is a pipe dream and makes her job so much more difficult.
    I don't disagree. I'm still very much of the opinion that RP should go.

However I feel words like 'puppet' are somewhat disrespectful, that suggests LD is aware she is going to be controlled by RP which I just don't see as being the case. Obviously no one can guarantee RP won't try to interfere but if he does and LD walks then he really will have shown himself up for what many perceive him to be once and for all.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by down-the-slope View Post
    some of those saying 'not a penny more till he goes' would if he did just move to 'not going back till butchers gone'.....

Those who have taken time to listen to her (something we agreed to do pre meeting) would say if you asked them that a lot of concerns were alleviated and a sense of a really strong focused leader with drive to make change (less than a week and changes are already happening) was seen.

In the Mowbury era was everything rosy in the non-football side of the operation? but no one cared as the 'product' on the park was entertaining (if very ineffective away from home - but thats another debate)

The quickest way to see supporters return is a winning, entertaining team on the pitch - much more so than Rod stepping down as Non Exec Chair.

I want a top quality operation both football and non-football, but the latter is just the scaffolding to make the former work
    1st point is nothing more than an assumption on your part. You simply don't know and can't state that as fact.

2nd point isn't really relevant to the current debate either. Mowbray left in 2006, EM wasn't open then (so no disconnect) and it's the decline in the last 7 years which has been subject to a lot of the discussion around Petrie and his handling of the club.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Why not email Leeann or phone here and ask to debate this point with you.

She said she would be happy to meet anyone 1 to 1 to discuss the extent of her power at ER.

Why not take her up on the offer? Bet you don't.

Doesn't matter what she says or how persuasive she sounds, she's diminished in the eyes of most because Petrie is still there.

Why is he still there? As a conduit? Haway and ******. Our new all singing, all dancing, all powerful CEO needs "a conduit" to talk to the board? I can't think of any other company set up that needs such a role between CEO and board.

If she does have direct access, then why is Petrie still there?

Petrie failed as CEO; if he had any decency, he'd walk, taking Butcher et al with him.

By the way, I bet James McDonaugh just loves hearing that the academy needs overhauling to improve us as a football club. It's the only successful part of football operations at ER, and what they actually mean is "cost cutting".

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I don't disagree. I'm still very much of the opinion that RP should go.

However I feel words like 'puppet' are somewhat disrespectful, that suggests LD is aware she is going to be controlled by RP which I just don't see as being the case. Obviously no one can guarantee RP won't try to interfere but if he does and LD walks then he really will have shown himself up for what many perceive him to be once and for all.
    Agree and people using that term let themselves down IMO.

Petrie isn't an idiot - He won't interfere - but the fact he remains that the support will be divided while he stays at the club. A winning team will help take the sting out of that division to an extent but in the situation we are in, we need all the fans (and money that they bring with him) to help get us to where LD aims to go. With RP in situ, hundreds will stay away.

He's the problem and the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Paisley Hibby View Post
    You make this sound like a bad episode of Batman with Rod as the evil genius. I just wonder who Batman might be?
    There is no Batman to the rescue. Just years of being in the doldrums controlled by puppet master Petrie.

There is no Batman to the rescue. Just years of being in the doldrums controlled by puppet master Petrie.
    Not much of a puppet master now then is he? There is no puppet.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.