hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alan Maybury

@hibs.net private member

Alan Maybury

Whilst I am not sad to see any of the impostors/ wage thieves go I would like to say that Maybury always gave his best and appeared to be a model professional. Unfortunately age has caught up with him but I would like to wish him all the best for the future.

Good luck also to the youngsters released.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Spanish_Kebab
    Gutted to see maybury go I was a doubter but he certainly prove me wrong. Good luck to him in the future an honest pro. But if we want to go to another level it had to happen

Left by mutual consent!
    Good luck Alan, thank you.

Our best player towards the end of the season

Left by mutual consent!
    As I said on another thread he gave us his all.

Hope he has a successful coaching career.

Steady and reliable as a player for Hibs. Wish him well in his career as a coach.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Was a good signing, and cared about playing for us. Sadly this doesn't seem to be quality that Butcher appreciates in players. Was hoping he may keep coaching.

One of the few who can leave with his head up.

Maybe not the best player but one who always gave his all.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

First Team Breakthrough
    All the very best Alan Maybury, IMO you have be a true professional at HFC.
    I wish you every success in your next job and thank you for your time at Hibs.

First Team Breakthrough
    Was a doubter given his earlier playing background but then in his first (?) game for us played a blinder against THEM apart from one error which cost us a goal and he got pelters for.

Good Luck Alan and thanks for all your efforts and help with the squad's younger players

First Team Breakthrough Curly1875's Avatar
    Thought he'd be staying on as a coach, obviously not.

Quote Originally Posted by lewis_1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our best player towards the end of the season

This sums it up though really. I'm not disagreeing either, he has been our best defender in recent times and uses his experience well in playing the position defensively. However, Maybury on 1 side and McGivern/Stevenson on the other - nobody is going forward, getting to the bye line. There's no forward going threat from Maybury. All adds up to the lack of chances creativity around the team last year, and made worse that there was scant little width further forward either. We need 2 new full backs with an attacking side to their game and great engines to get up and down the park. For me, Booth is this kind of player.

Take the 2 goals that done us the damage at the end - Barbour the young Killie right back gets to the bye-line to whip it in for Boyd to score and consign us to the play-off. He got to the bye-line plenty that game. Hamilton's equaliser, young Ziggy Gordon getting to the bye-line in the last minute to whip it in. He got forward much of the match. McGivern and Maybury's ball's in tend to always be from 35/40 yards out.

Young, dynamic backies required.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Curly1875 View Post
    Thought he'd be staying on as a coach, obviously not.
    Not even being kept on as a coach?

Coaching Staff
    Wish him every success in coaching, a really top pro on and off the pitch and conducted himself very well.

Always welcome at Easter Road no matter what colours

I suspect if we stayed up he would have been staying on as a coach, but it's all about cost cutting now and that's why he's been let go. There will be more of this cost cutting in the backroom and in non-playing staff coming I suspect.

If his coaching career takes off would happily welcome him back at some point

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    I think he could have stayed for another year as a back up player whilst continuing coaching. Quite disappointing. All the best to him and I hope it works out for him, a good professional and he proved to be a good addition to the squad.

First Team Breakthrough
    Thought he would be kept on as a coach. Bit classless to just tell him 'Yer off pal'

Top bloke on and off the pitch. Well respected by the guys for his coaching methods too.
    All the best wherever you go Teddy.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Maybe its just me, but he's another poor player who along with the rest of the poor players is part of the reason we are where we are?

He offered us nothing going forward, and just played the easy ball back to our 2 hoofball experts in the middle. He was signed as a backup player, and because he had to play more than he should have is one of the reasons we are relegated.

I'd add Stevenson to this another squad filler who's had to play every week. Folk might not like the truth, but its out there staring you in the face.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Gutted for the guy, he actually looked like he was bothered during the game yesterday, plus his mrs is hot so wont be seeing her at ER

Alan Maybury

Quote Originally Posted by adhibs View Post
    If his coaching career takes off would happily welcome him back at some point
    I think it already had taken off, with his work supporting the U20s.

As far as I know, Fenlon wanted him (over time) to take over the running of the Academy set-up at EM.

Now we are back to square-one with 3 dinosaurs shaping the future of our club.

Thanks for your efforts Alan. Hope you find another club that appreciates you.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    He absolute gave his all yesterday and never once hid or shirked a challenge unlike the rest.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Maybe its just me, but he's another poor player who along with the rest of the poor players is part of the reason we are where we are?

He offered us nothing going forward, and just played the easy ball back to our 2 hoofball experts in the middle. He was signed as a backup player, and because he had to play more than he should have is one of the reasons we are relegated.

I'd add Stevenson to this another squad filler who's had to play every week. Folk might not like the truth, but its out there staring you in the face.
    Not his fault that he was selected every week. He may not have been the best full back in the Premier League but he did his best, was a professional and always gave 100%. You can never criticise him for that.

Agree we should have a better options though and agree he has peaked and should move on.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post

He was signed as a backup player, and because he had to play more than he should have is one of the reasons we are relegated.
    I don't agree with your statement about Maybury being a "poor" player.
    As you rightly point out he had a role to play as a back up player and IMO he filled that role very well week in week out.
    But Everyone is entitled to their opinion....
    Talking about filling a role too....., I hope that if you ever need help in a medical capacity and a first aider is on hand they don't say "pee off - I'm not seeing to him leave him until the paramedics arrive!"

Testimonial Due
    I was under the impression the young players love him so pretty surprised if he's not being offered a coaching role. Maybe he wants to keep playing?

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    He absolute gave his all yesterday and never once hid or shirked a challenge unlike the rest.
    Commented during the game that he dealt with Scotland's physical stuff much better than either centre half, refused to be bullied.

@hibs.net private member
    Goes with my best wishes. One of the few professionals at ER. Knew when to put the foot in and played to his strengths. Our best defender in the run in and never let us down. I would have kept him on as a coach as he has more between his ears than the vast majority at our club

Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    However, Maybury on 1 side and McGivern/Stevenson on the other - nobody is going forward, getting to the bye line. There's no forward going threat from Maybury. Young, dynamic backies required.
    Eh, No - different tactics required. That was Butcher's choice - time and again you saw him waving people back. Maybury's been excellent for us - hardly put a foot wrong and his passing was to a high standard.