hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dougie Cromb recalls past battles

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Good article, good to hear from Douggie and he's keeping well

@hibs.net private member bawheid's Avatar
    He's a good man. I remember writing to him as a 12 year old asking him not to move Hibs to Straiton and he sent me back a personal reply.

@hibs.net private member DarlingtonHibee's Avatar
    True gent, and a great Hibs man.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    Dougie Cromb is a legend IMO and had a passion for Hibs and football in his time as chairman that is sadly lacking at ER just now.

@hibs.net private member hibbybob's Avatar
    I occasionally see Dougie around Colinton. He doesn't know me from Adam but always happy to spend a few minutes chatting about the Hibs.

I find it sad that he doesn't attend matches any more.

A really nice guy and a true Hibby.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Met him last week at a funeral that he was representing Hibs at.

Testimonial Due
    What an excellent read. Dougie was chairman when I first started going to games.

@hibs.net private member
    I was another who was invited to Dougie's office to chat about some complaint or other I felt strongly about (it must've been so important I've forgotten what it was).
    I found him very welcoming and down to earth. Just a really nice guy who was doing a job at the Club he loved.
    Good to know he's still with us and still caring.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: n/A
    Leeann - Sign him up!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Really interesting article, it's fantastic to get an insight into Hibs from someone who ran the club for so long.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    He invited me round for a chat as well after I complained about a letter every ST holder in the new FF stand had received following some trouble with away fans in the hospitality section.

Genuinely nice guy and clearly passionate about Hibs.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Fascinating read. Back in 2002 not long after Franck Säuzee was sacked I took my then Mrs to a Chinese acupuncture place up Bruntsfield. I was not looking forward to sitting in the reception waiting but was shocked and surprised to discover Douglas Cromb was working manning the phones! I went with her every week and he opened up quite a lot. Not fair to disclose what he said but he told me Franck Säuzee thought Rod Petrie was not a football man and would be better suited running a steel factory. Douglas impressed me with his love and passion for our club and is a very nice man.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Booked4Being-Ugly View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dougie Cromb is a legend IMO and had a passion for Hibs and football in his time as chairman that is sadly lacking at ER just now.
    Cromb was the guy that stuck with Miller when the majority of fans (see various EEN polls) wanted him out. Seems that history has a way of giving people different perspectives.

IIRC his departure saw a new "Hibs minded" regime come in.A year later we were down. We should be careful what we wish for.

Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post
    Cromb was the guy that stuck with Miller when the majority of fans (see various EEN polls) wanted him out. Seems that history has a way of giving people different perspectives.

IIRC his departure saw a new "Hibs minded" regime come in.A year later we were down. We should be careful what we wish for.
    What "Hibs minded" regime was that? RP joined the board in 1996 and to all intents and purposes was running the show on behalf of Sir Tom then.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    He reminds me of being so young and just starting out going to the games with my dad. Great times. Gent of a guy

Am I right in thinking he had a stint as Chairman of Raith Rovers after leaving Hibs?
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Am I right in thinking he had a stint as Chairman of Raith Rovers after leaving Hibs?
    He did. Ex Hibs director Iain Breenan also involved IIRC.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smurf View Post
    What "Hibs minded" regime was that? RP joined the board in 1996 and to all intents and purposes was running the show on behalf of Sir Tom then.
    Tom O'Malley. Have to take your word for it about Petrie, but I find it hard to believe Lex Gold was just there as a gopher.

@hibs.net private member Gettin' Auld's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Aye, i think he was their charman when we were relegated and faced them in the First Division.

Testimonial Due Capt Mainwaring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smurf View Post
    He did. Ex Hibs director Iain Breenan also involved IIRC.
    Both great Hibees. Ian Brennan ran the Bonnyrigg Branch Supporters Bus for years and as passionate Hibee you were ever likely to meet.

I remember going down pre season one year to pick my season ticket seat in the old North (main) stand upper with my auld man & Cromb was showing people around the seats they were picking. A personal touch which I fondly remember & shows why it's so important to fans to have a Chairman / Owner who actually supports the club themselves.
    A cracking read & thanks for posting.
    Here's to you Douglas

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Mainwaring View Post
    Both great Hibees. Ian Brennan ran the Bonnyrigg Branch Supporters Bus for years and as passionate Hibee you were ever likely to meet.
    Did Ian Brennan run a shop in Gorebridge? If it is the guy I'm thinking about, I have not seen him for ages. Over twenty years. He had a 0-7 back page proudly hung up in his back office.

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp View Post
    I was another who was invited to Dougie's office to chat about some complaint or other I felt strongly about (it must've been so important I've forgotten what it was).
    I found him very welcoming and down to earth. Just a really nice guy who was doing a job at the Club he loved.
    Good to know he's still with us and still caring.
    I was almost the same. I was at a Hibs v Celtic game and at that time sat in the FF. The hospitality seats used to be there and McAvennie was there giving tight to the Hibs fans, standing up, turning to them and making gestures. That cause a few fans threw pies at him etc, and in the paper on Monday Cromb made a long statement about the disgraceful behaviour by Hibs fans. I was annoyed about this, McAvennie had clearly provoked the fans in the stand he was in, and opposing 'diginitaries' have a responsibility to behave at opposing teams grounds. I wrote to Cromb expressing my annoyance, and to give the guy credit he wrote back, apologizing and said he fully accepted what I was saying. I don't usually write to the club about things like that and hadn't expected to get a reply. But Cromb showed that he truly cared what the fans think, and the fact he took the trouble to reply seems a million miles away from the kind of reply, if any, that I would have received from the current board.

First Team Breakthrough Soldiersteve's Avatar
    I remember buying a ST in the old shop in ER one year,maybe 1990.
    Dougie was manning the shop and had a chat.

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    I was almost the same. I was at a Hibs v Celtic game and at that time sat in the FF. The hospitality seats used to be there and McAvennie was there giving tight to the Hibs fans, standing up, turning to them and making gestures. That cause a few fans threw pies at him etc, and in the paper on Monday Cromb made a long statement about the disgraceful behaviour by Hibs fans. I was annoyed about this, McAvennie had clearly provoked the fans in the stand he was in, and opposing 'diginitaries' have a responsibility to behave at opposing teams grounds. I wrote to Cromb expressing my annoyance, and to give the guy credit he wrote back, apologizing and said he fully accepted what I was saying. I don't usually write to the club about things like that and hadn't expected to get a reply. But Cromb showed that he truly cared what the fans think, and the fact he took the trouble to reply seems a million miles away from the kind of reply, if any, that I would have received from the current board.
    I seem to remember him actually coming into the FF stand after that and engaging with supporters before the game. Took a lot of stick from everyone, but stood there for a while and chatted to anyone who approached.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldiersteve View Post
    I remember buying a ST in the old shop in ER one year,maybe 1990.
    Dougie was manning the shop and had a chat.
    Met with him in Lauder in June 1990 and could hardly see him across the table for smoke.

Decent guy and pleased to see him still going well.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I remember when the tickets went on sale for some semi or final (I can't remember which), Hibs had handed out vouchers at the previous home match which guaranteed you a ticket. All you had to do was post your voucher(s) with a cheque and the tickets would be sent. Obviously nobody trusted this system and everyone turned up in person when the tickets went on sale, resulting in a humongous queue on ER. Dougie Crombe and Kenny McLean snr. walked the length of the queue chatting away to everyone and tried to convince us that there was no need to stand in a queue. I don't think they managed to convince anyone, but it showed a human touch that I think was appreciated by everyone there.

Changing the subject, I used to love going to the old shop in the main stand - you never knew who was going to serve you or who'd be hanging about having a chat.

A very good article, only wish we had a chairman like him in charge now. Even the oldies dislike the hearts.

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    great article, really enjoyed reading that