hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

(NHC) Motherwell

We now find that Motherwell have been racking up huge losses, have had to borrow heavily just to keep going this season and need £1.5 million to avert financial disaster. No wonder Leeanne jumped ship. That arrogant buffoon Tam Cowan has been singing right out of the Hearts song book 'Spend, spend, spend'. Well it is all coming home to roost now with yet another club recklessly running their affairs, and not for the first time.
    Thank god for Farmer and Petrie!!! ( Tin hat on)

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We now find that Motherwell have been racking up huge losses, have had to borrow heavily just to keep going this season and need £1.5 million to avert financial disaster. No wonder Leeanne jumped ship. That arrogant buffoon Tam Cowan has been singing right out of the Hearts song book 'Spend, spend, spend'. Well it is all coming home to roost now with yet another club recklessly running their affairs, and not for the first time.
    Any links? Wouldn't mind a wee read off this.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Heard something similar today. Sure it was on 5live. They said they had a 100 thousand pounds loss and would need to offer shares to private investors if the fans group couldn't raise the buy in money.
    Didn't hear anything about 1.5 million though.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by nribs View Post
    Any links? Wouldn't mind a wee read off this.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27508250

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    I posted about this issue when we found out about Leanne Dempster joining us. A wee bit worrying that Motherwell can't make money after coming 2nd two years on the trot.

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    I posted about this issue when we found out about Leanne Dempster joining us. A wee bit worrying that Motherwell can't make money after coming 2nd two years on the trot.
    not really, small support and pay decent spl wages. no surprise that need top up to difference . mcfaddens wage likely spent already on diifference finishing 2nd rather than 6th. for overspend still well run successful team , we dont live within means and cup finals last few years saved horrendous balance sheets.

Motherwell now begging for money

We've already had The Rangers and Hearts (multiple times) get the begging bowl out, now it seems it's the turn of Motherwell.

They've apparently just posted a (third successive?) loss. That amazes me, considering how well they've been doing, e.g. having just finished second.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    All Leannes fault. Fact.

Quote Originally Posted by pacorosssco View Post
    not really, small support and pay decent spl wages. no surprise that need top up to difference . mcfaddens wage likely spent already on diifference finishing 2nd rather than 6th. for overspend still well run successful team , we dont live within means and cup finals last few years saved horrendous balance sheets.
    Can someone translate this please? I'm lost!

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    We've already had The Rangers and Hearts (multiple times) get the begging bowl out, now it seems it's the turn of Motherwell.

They've apparently just posted a (third successive?) loss. That amazes me, considering how well they've been doing, e.g. having just finished second.

So much for idiots like Chick Dung going on about how well Motherwell have financially recovered from the **** of their own making a few seasons ago. If McCall wasn't there they'd probably be in even deeper doodoo, and if they cut his budget even more he'll be off.

No no no, Motherwell speculated to accumulate and finished 2nd. This is why Hibs should be doing similar.

It turns out if you live out with your means you end up close to going out of business. If only Hibs had seen the signs with other clubs before following this plan ourselves.

Oh that's right! We did!

Quote Originally Posted by pacorosssco View Post
    We posted a profit last year. Our wages to turnover ratio was 49%. That's the definition of living within our means.

@hibs.net private member Ryan91's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus Fring View Post
    No no no, Motherwell speculated to accumulate and finished 2nd. This is why Hibs should be doing similar.

It turns out if you live out with your means you end up close to going out of business. If only Hibs had seen the signs with other clubs before following this plan ourselves.

Oh that's right! We did!
    Hibs could perhaps get away with it more than Motherwell could, I'm not advocating that we do so, but you could be assured that if we were challenging for second in the league we'd have pretty good attendances.

Motherwell have done well but attendances have been dire, because the majority of the locals would rather go and see the ugly sisters. If it weren't for their proximity to the Weeg they'd have far better attendances.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    LD seems to have done well at Fir Park - well thought of and spoken of by most Motherwell fans I know, but I THINK (I'm not a finance expert so I'm not sure I've got this right) that the way forward she's constructed for the club (with Boyle's input and approval) requires a further investment from the fans of £350,000 -£500,000 fairly soon. The alternative would be Boyle 'seeking further investment' from businessmen in the Motherwell area. I don't KNOW, but I don't THINK that Motherwell are another Romanov/Jambos scenario in the making; I suspect that Boyle and Dempster have been guilty of nothing worse than over-estimating the potential fan-base they can count on for support.

But I do admit I'm not up-to-date with the situation there - the Caldera's Airdrieonians' territory, not Motherwell's.

Most of my neighbours think of Motherwell the way Hibees think of Hearts.
    Last edited by --------; 22-05-2014 at 05:03 PM.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    LDe seems to have done well at Fir park - well thought of and spoken of by most Motherwell fans I know, but I THINK (I'm not a finance expert so I'm not sure I've got this right) that the way forward she's constructed for the club (with Boyle's input and approval) requires a further investment from the fans of £350,000 -£500,000 fairly soon. The alternative would be Boyle 'seeking further investment' from businessmen in the Motherwell area. I don't KNOW, but I don't THINK that Motherwell are another Romanov/Jambos scenario in the making; I suspect that Boyle and Dempster have been guilty of nothing worse than over-estimating the potential fan-base they can count on for support.

But I do admit I'm not up-to-date with the situation there - the Caldera's Airdrieonians' territory, not Motherwell's.

Most of my neighbours think of Motherwell the way Hibees think of Hearts.
    Motherwell I believe budgeted on getting bigger home gates. This failed to materialise, hence their financial problems

Motherwell have done amazingly over the last five+ years, but the demand isn't there for them, hence why they're always at a loss. They don't have enough income and having to organise trips to Europe due to their success year after year must sting them quite sharply.

I think if the same business approach is applied by Dempster at Hibs, then we could really push on and be a massive success for years to come. We have the fan base, the potential, the allure of the capital city and the history. If we had their success (and then some) our club's income would sky rocket due to the fan base. It's a snowball-effect, it's just a shame that it doesn't snow in Lanarkshire. We've got everything Motherwell could only dream of - and no Hearts!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Motherwell I believe budgeted on getting bigger home gates. This failed to materialise, hence their financial problems

Yup. Hibs on the other hand budget on ST sales, basically, and make balancing the books top priority, and this has led to a degradation of the quality of the football and the team on the park, hence our relegation problems. It's a vicious circle.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Player development through the youth teams is the way for clubs like Hibs, but we don't seem to be able to do that right now.

Or we haven't got the message and no-one's making it a priority ....

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    McCall to Celtic anyone?

I understand supporters have to raise £800,000 by November but £1.5 mill is required to complete fan ownership. Some of the £450,000 raised so far has shored things up this season as well as other short term loans. Simple, been living outside their means for at least three seasons and chickens are now coming home to roost.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    McCall to Celtic anyone?

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    The citizens of Motherwell are too busy getting on buses to Parkhead and Ibrox every week. Success is wasted on them.

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    I'd rather not make money finishing 2nd than not make money finishing 10th, 11th, 7th and 11th.

McCall to Celtic anyone?
    Surely not Sellick Minded enough for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawr.rar View Post
    I'd rather not make money finishing 2nd than not make money finishing 10th, 11th, 7th and 11th.
    But you would not make money a lot more by finishing 2nd than you would finishing 11th.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan91 View Post
    Hibs could perhaps get away with it more than Motherwell could, I'm not advocating that we do so, but you could be assured that if we were challenging for second in the league we'd have pretty good attendances.

Motherwell have done well but attendances have been dire, because the majority of the locals would rather go and see the ugly sisters. If it weren't for their proximity to the Weeg they'd have far better attendances.
    If we were challenging for 2nd we'd be getting 13k/14k regularly, no problem

Gamer IDs

McCall to Celtic anyone?

You're aware he played for Rangers?

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    To be fair, they're hardly huge losses. A bit of cost-cutting will sort them out.

And they don't need £1.5m. They need another £350k to complete the fan-ownership model they started.

CWG

Welcome to the debate.

My point is that at the present rate of spending we are looking at around £1.5 Mill to keep them afloat before fans take over. Not on the same scale as our smelly neighbours but the principle is the same. Another example of misguided financial governance and resulting in my comment thank god for Farmer and Petrie Many on here want us to play fast and loose with our finances to achieve success on the field. I want success as much as the next fan but I do no want to follow the Sevco, Fir Park or PBS method.

CWG

Welcome to the debate.

My point is that at the present rate of spending we are looking at around £1.5 Mill to keep them afloat before fans take over. Not on the same scale as our smelly neighbours but the principle is the same. Another example of misguided financial governance and resulting in my comment thank god for Farmer and Petrie Many on here want us to play fast and loose with our finances to achieve success on the field. I want success as much as the next fan but I do no want to follow the Sevco, Fir Park or PBS method.
    I don't want us to do that, nor do I want our board to haggle for every penny of every transfer deal and cust costs to the detriment of the playing squad at every possible opportunity. There is a middle ground and clubs like Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and St Johnstone are an example of this.

The financial approach we have taken to running this football club has rewarded us at best with mediocrity since 2007 and outright failure since 2010. Those are the facts.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    CWG

Welcome to the debate.

I agree with some of what you say. However, I don't think that Well have been irresponsible in the same way as the other two. They spent a bit extra, in the hope that income would rise accordingly (not for the first time, of course). It didn't, and it will be interesting to see what they do next.
    To carry on as they have would be daft. However, they're nowhere near the HMFC and RFC stage.
    It does strike me that the inability of the club to attract additional fans is one of the reasons why LD has moved on. She probably has done as much as she could there.