hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: JonnyLifeForce

Sunshine on Leith being diluted

Anyone else feel playing SOL before almost every home game isnt always appropriate and kind of dilutes the power of it. It should be played after certain games and results IMO

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: EdinburghHibee86
    Agree with this. I love the song but when hibs fans sing it, it needs to be on big occasions.

Definitely. The club recognised that they shouldn't do this before, so I'm not sure why they've started doing it now.

I believe it's the announcers decision to play it usually. He's on twitter @hibsannouncer so maybe someone should raise it with him? If he tweets back like he talks at Easter Road you won't understand a word he's saying though.

Agree. I think it's a shoddy attempt at trying to create an atmosphere worthy of the song and it achieves the complete opposite. It feels forced and inappropriate. Compare every week of this season to winning the League Cup in '07 and it's unbearably tawdry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Agree. We need a different song now.

Gamer IDs

I have tweeted hibs announcer and will get back with results. Maybe a poll on here to show what fans think?

Gamer IDs

I dont know how to create poll on this thread. :-S

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Vanquinho
    I won't be singing it if it gets an airing if we survive the drop.

Success for Hibernian is not top tier survival.

Quote Originally Posted by Nando™ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I won't be singing it if it gets an airing if we survive the drop.

Success for Hibernian is not top tier survival.
    I agree ..... avoidance of failure by the skin of your teeth is not success.

SOL should be saved for more appropriate times.

If we survive the drop and it's played I don't see it as a 'celebration' as such. To me it's just a statement to show we're proud to support Hibernian no matter what happens and that is our song. I do agree it is over played however, before the game AND half time against Killie...

I find almost as dire a song as Flower of Scotland. ER is miserable enough at the moment without the words broken and sorrow ringing out at start, middle and end of game.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFamous1875 View Post
    Agree. I think it's a shoddy attempt at trying to create an atmosphere worthy of the song and it achieves the complete opposite. It feels forced and inappropriate. Compare every week of this season to winning the League Cup in '07 and it's unbearably tawdry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Agreed. After the magnificent rendition at the end of the cup final it's almost like we are being turned into performing seals. SOL is only ever appropriate for cup final wins or just before kick off against our Gorgie neighbours.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    I find almost as dire a song as Flower of Scotland. ER is miserable enough at the moment without the words broken and sorrow ringing out at start, middle and end of game.
    what he said times ten. Under the current cuircumstances it is is utterly depressing.

We need something to gee everyone up, not some maudlin song cos it mentions Leith ffs!

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Agree with above posters. Just please don't make the alternative Hector Nicol singing "Glory Glory to the hibees" which is totally cringeworthy.

Since a few Hibs players have been seen out drinking after losses..maybe we should play Beastie Boys "you've got to fight, for the right, to party"

If it has to be the Proclaimers..then wouldn't "I'm on my way" (from misery to happiness today) be more appropriate given the circumstances ? It's very upbeat, but does at least acknowledge that we are in a hole and need to get out of it.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    Agree with above posters. Just please don't make the alternative Hector Nicol singing "Glory Glory to the hibees" which is totally cringeworthy.

Since a few Hibs players have been seen out drinking after losses..maybe we should play Beastie Boys "you've got to fight, for the right, to party"

If it has to be the Proclaimers..then wouldn't "I'm on my way" (from misery to happiness today) be more appropriate given the circumstances ? It's very upbeat, but does at least acknowledge that we are in a hole and need to get out of it.
    Trouble with I'm on My Way is that it implies we're already on our way

Gamer IDs

Cab someone with admin powers please Turn this into a poll for me

When should SOL be played at ER
    1.before every game
    2.after every game
    3 only after cup finals and or derbies
    4.never again

Left by mutual consent!
    Only as a celebration of victory and that includes if we win this sunday,this is a bigger game than the 2007 cup final in my eyes.

Should only be played when there is a big crowd. Sounds and looks totally cringey when there's half a crowd singing it (Partick at ER a few weeks back and Aberdeen in the cup last season).

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE BOVRIL View Post
    I agree ..... avoidance of failure by the skin of your teeth is not success.

SOL should be saved for more appropriate times.
    I can think of somebody who will see it as a success.

I agree with the OP, for the right occasion it's is a great song but every week, nah!

Great song for the right occasion.

Standing at Hampden in 2007 with 3 generations of my closest family belting out Sunshine on Leith is one of my favourite memories.

Hearing it played with about 15 people singing along before a game against Ross County? Not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Great song for the right occasion.

Standing at Hampden in 2007 with 3 generations of my closest family belting out Sunshine on Leith is one of my favourite memories.

Hearing it played with about 15 people singing along before a game against Ross County? Not for me.
    This for me. And wish we would stop playing music as the teams come out the tunnel. Hibees Hibees followed by a Hail Hail etc is much better.

First Team Breakthrough calamitus's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: marmite machine
    Quote Originally Posted by strummbo View Post
    what he said times ten. Under the current cuircumstances it is is utterly depressing.

We need something to gee everyone up, not some maudlin song cos it mentions Leith ffs!
    Agreed - I'm one of the minority that liked when we came out to Invaders Must Die by the Prodigy

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SWYD1875
    I've tweeted at the Hibs Announcer several times, asking him to play inspirational songs for when the teams walk out like Duel of the Fates (Star Wars) or Thunderstruck by AC/DC (Only the intro riff though, however I think it would be amazing to have everyone shout Hibees instead of Thunder). Even the Rocky theme would be better than SoL for a walk on tune.

However, everytime he simply replies "Sunshine on Leith will be played when the teams come out"

Don't get me wrong I love SoL, but as Pretty Boy mentioned; it's better for certain occasions, I could accept it being played after the match but only if we won, Hampden after the League Cup win & a full Easter Road after the derby win are the ones that stick out in my mind.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVE1875 View Post
    I've tweeted at the Hibs Announcer several times, asking him to play inspirational songs for when the teams walk out like Duel of the Fates (Star Wars) or Thunderstruck by AC/DC (Only the intro riff though, however I think it would be amazing to have everyone shout Hibees instead of Thunder). Even the Rocky theme would be better than SoL for a walk on tune.

However, everytime he simply replies "Sunshine on Leith will be played when the teams come out"

Don't get me wrong I love SoL, but as Pretty Boy mentioned; it's better for certain occasions, I could accept it being played after the match but only if we won, Hampden after the League Cup win & a full Easter Road after the derby win are the ones that stick out in my mind.
    Well if he winnae listen maybe somebody should go over him tae the club and explain the wishes of the fans. I'm on neither facelessbook or twatter so it winnae be me though .On the right occasion it's a great tune, on the wrong one it's a bit of a dirge TBH.

Agreed. Sunshine on leith is only for special occasions:

Cup finals
    Last dance at weddings/ parties etc
    Played during the birth of my youngest Wayne

I've got it on my iPod (obviously) but I don't play it much for fear of diluting its value

Opinions eh , not that many weeks ago there was a thread on .net saying we should play it at E/R before every home game. Now that we are , along comes a thread moaning about the very thing we asked for. Cannae please all the people all of the time eh.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Franck Stanton View Post
    Opinions eh , not that many weeks ago there was a thread on .net saying we should play it at E/R before every home game. Now that we are , along comes a thread moaning about the very thing we asked for. Cannae please all the people all of the time eh.
    I must have missed that thread. I've always been of the opinion it should be kept for certain occasions, it's hardly an up and at em tune.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Franck Stanton View Post
    But if something clearly isnt working it shouldnt be changed? It genuinely comes across a dirge with little impact. Not a huge issue TBH but think something that could be changed easily.

Love the song - but not every match day and inappropriate for the majority of this particular season.

Keep it for special games and ocassions when there is that 'feeling'..

Preferred previous seasons when Undertones, Silencers, even Robbie (gulp) etc, were the nominated songs.

How about 'Ever Fallen In Love With Someone (You Shouldn't Have Fallen In Love With)' being played at 14:57 next season.?