Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mass hibsteria

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: JonnyLifeForce

mass hibsteria

Will we ever see it again better than the propaganda leaflet

2. Log in to remove the advert

Did you get Sunday off?
    In relation to your post - I wondered what happened to the fanzine, I'm sure there was a cup final edition but used to get one regularly along with a programme. Was always good for a few giggles.

Quote Originally Posted by ManBearPig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Will we ever see it again better than the propaganda leaflet
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Did you get Sunday off?
    In relation to your post - I wondered what happened to the fanzine, I'm sure there was a cup final edition but used to get one regularly along with a programme. Was always good for a few giggles.
    I used to be the editor of Mass Hibsteria. The paper version kinda ran out of steam with the advent of fan forums on the net. A net version ran for a while but sadly wasn't viable from a cost point of view. The cup final ones were great and I'm sure a paper one will appear for our next one
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I used to be the editor of Mass Hibsteria. The paper version kinda ran out of steam with the advent of fan forums on the net. A net version ran for a while but sadly wasn't viable from a cost point of view. The cup final ones were great and I'm sure a paper one will appear for our next one
    Fond memories of buying it, and think I even had a couple of things printed when you were obviously stuck for material!
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Left by mutual consent!

The Harry Ramsden edition is all ready at the plate-makers...

So can you tell us the secret identity of 'grumpy gibby'? Theres a few posters on here I have listed as suspects.
    Shame it's no longer a regular publication, you and your team did a great job

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Fond memories of buying it, and think I even had a couple of things printed when you were obviously stuck for material!
    Even I had a few articles published in it which I was quite chuffed about There were some pretty good issues and some talented writers (ok not me) - my favourite would probably be Grumpy Gibby - he'd be even grumpier these days with the kind of season we're having.

I only had a couple of issues but yep, Grumpy Gibby (the North Stand Hibby? IIRC) was a big hit. I think I got mine from the wee bookshop near to Mr Boni's. I'm sure the owners were a father and son team and big Hibs fans. I got my ticket for the Hunter header at Tynie game from them. Nice people who patiently let me go through their boxes of old copies of World Soccer to buy for info on the Milan teams of the 80s 90s!

First Team Regular Billy McKirdy's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: N?A Wii Code: N?A
    Still have a couple of issues stashed away along with a very early copy of The Absolute Game, another Edinburgh produced footy fanzine.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I don't think I missed an issue of Mass Hibsteria, Hibs Monthly and there was at least one other - TANAHESH or something like that. I gave them to the programme shop, together with most of my programmes, when I moved across here.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Did Irvine Welsh not write for the fanzine as 'Octopus'??

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I don't think I missed an issue of Mass Hibsteria, Hibs Monthly and there was at least one other - TANAHESH or something like that. I gave them to the programme shop, together with most of my programmes, when I moved across here.
    I remember the TANESHH or something. Was it The Absolutely Non a Essential Hibs Handbook or similar? Anyone able to confirm its name? Also the Proclaimer and the North East Hibernian which was written by Aberdeen Uni students.

Loved the fanzine scene!

Believe it or not I used to get backdated copies of Hibsteria from the 2nd hand record shop in Elm Row (don't think it's there now). It used to be a brilliant fanzine, far funnier than anything Hearts ever produced, and there was a great jokes section in it too. Mind you, that was the late eighties/early nineties, and when I moved through to the west I wasn't able to get a hold of it so easily, and when I did it wasn't quite as good as it had been. I've got a pretty sick sense of humour, I always thought the best copies were the ones that really insulted Hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by AberGreen View Post
    I remember the TANESHH or something. Was it The Absolutely Non a Essential Hibs Handbook or similar? Anyone able to confirm its name? Also the Proclaimer and the North East Hibernian which was written by Aberdeen Uni students.

Loved the fanzine scene!
    I think that was it - I couldn't remember.

The Proclaimer too.

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    So can you tell us the secret identity of 'grumpy gibby'? Theres a few posters on here I have listed as suspects.
    Shame it's no longer a regular publication, you and your team did a great job
    Far be it for me to 'RAVE' on about contributors but the regular ones will remain secret (unless you know the handshake brother ).

I actually have a bundle of old ones I was going to throw out, with some old programmes. Might just hand them in to the programme shop in Albion Road, although I don't know if they would be even interested in them.

Quote Originally Posted by AberGreen View Post

Loved the fanzine scene!
    Pretty sure that was the creation of Stuart Crowther, ex of this parish? Could be wrong though...

Mas Hibsteria \ Hibs Monthly were great reads. "This is how it feels" as an editorial is just so Hibs

Left by mutual consent!
    Was a regular buyer of this back in the day, still have a few boxes of them, was always a great read.

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    I thought mass hibsteria was excellent and I'm sure somewhere I have a large collection of them.
    Going back to the late 80's I always used to get the proclaimer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MB62 View Post
    Far be it for me to 'RAVE' on about contributors but the regular ones will remain secret (unless you know the handshake brother ).

I actually have a bundle of old ones I was going to throw out, with some old programmes. Might just hand them in to the programme shop in Albion Road, although I don't know if they would be even interested in them.
    When I went 10 years ago with a huge pile of stuff, the guy said it was worth very little but he'd take them to give away to kids, which I thought was fair enough.

Used to love MHHM. :-)

Would love to know who was behind Grumpy Gibby the North Stand Hibby.

One idea floated that might see the light of day is a kindle version of the fanzine - no outlay costs, and no need to physically sell copy to cover costs.

Fanzines were magic, modern football is rubbish :)

Quote Originally Posted by Purple & Green View Post
    One idea floated that might see the light of day is a kindle version of the fanzine - no outlay costs, and no need to physically sell copy to cover costs.

Fanzines were magic, modern football is rubbish :)
    That would be brilliant if it were to appear. Far too many talented and funny writers associated with the 'zine for it not to be given serious consideration.

Anyone remember the 'Glasgow Gossip' Hibs fanzine. Short lived i think. May also have been a forerunner of Hibs Monthly or Mass Hibsteria.
    It was quite funny and was the first time i ever saw reference to the 'Hibsballah'. In an amusing mock article about the middle east. I might still have it somewhere. (though it may, in fact, have been in an early Hibs Monthly not the Glasgow Gossip).

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by sadtom View Post
    Anyone remember the 'Glasgow Gossip' Hibs fanzine. Short lived i think. May also have been a forerunner of Hibs Monthly or Mass Hibsteria.
    It was quite funny and was the first time i ever saw reference to the 'Hibsballah'. In an amusing mock article about the middle east. I might still have it somewhere. (though it may, in fact, have been in an early Hibs Monthly not the Glasgow Gossip).
    Yeah, I remember buying the Glasgow Gossip - had forgotten the title of it, so thanks for the reminder. It was pretty good too. Need to get myself into the attic and have a rummage, might have some early ones up there that would still bring a chuckle.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkintHibby View Post
    Used to love MHHM. :-)

Would love to know who was behind Grumpy Gibby the North Stand Hibby.
    Author of "Carspotting -The Real Adventures of Irvine Welsh", Sandy McNair? Have a few of his very entertaining booklets that he released in the early-mid 90`s.
    Don`t know if he is on Hibs.net.

Gamer IDs

I think there would be plenty of material for the writers to get stuck into in thebcurrent climate.

Gamer IDs

Did you get Sunday off?
    Yeah our mutual friend you recommended is covering for me!

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Author of "Carspotting -The Real Adventures of Irvine Welsh", Sandy McNair? Have a few of his very entertaining booklets that he released in the early-mid 90`s.
    Don`t know if he is on Hibs.net.
    I was about to get ripped right in to you for disclosing the secret author of 'Grumpy Gibby, the (old) North stand Hibby, but then I spotted your avatar and realised you know the secret handshake.

Loadiepish!
    Last edited by Peevemor; 19-05-2014 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Loadiepish!
    I'm not the sort to have coffee all over my keyboard but that came very close ....
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.