hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!

Most disastrous run - most unlucky as well?

From my own recollection, I can't remember us having such a solid series of: stonewall penalties being rejected, goals being chopped off, rebounds from blocks falling to opposition defenders rather than our players, hitting the woodwork, hitting the woodwork or an unbelievable save landing at one of their players, and lastly, the sheer amount of time wasting teams do against us to break our rhythm which has, all season, went unpunished.

Killie timewasting in the first half when we were on top. I remember their left-back (in the first half), for a long throw-in, went for walkies and rather than getting a booking just got told to hurry it up. Their goalkeeper did the same.

I cannot remember such a barren run of referee decisions in our favour. Such an horrendous amount of timewasting going unpunished and woodwork and rebounds not falling for us.

We've been atrocious but this hasn't helped!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    Completely agree, on any other day, both Partick and Killie recently in particular, would of been thumped by us!

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From my own recollection, I can't remember us having such a solid series of: stonewall penalties being rejected, goals being chopped off, rebounds from blocks falling to opposition defenders rather than our players, hitting the woodwork, hitting the woodwork or an unbelievable save landing at one of their players, and lastly, the sheer amount of time wasting teams do against us to break our rhythm which has, all season, went unpunished.

Killie timewasting in the first half when we were on top. I remember their left-back (in the first half), for a long throw-in, went for walkies and rather than getting a booking just got told to hurry it up. Their goalkeeper did the same.

I cannot remember such a barren run of referee decisions in our favour. Such an horrendous amount of timewasting going unpunished and woodwork and rebounds not falling for us.

Its an old saying MH but you make your own luck, cant blame anyone or anything other than ourselves IMO

I don't buy into this. You cannot have most of the game, fail to convert, and be so soft as to let the opposition go up the park and score against the run of play EVERY week, and put it down to luck.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Vanquinho
    Quote Originally Posted by scuttle View Post
    Its an old saying MH but you make your own luck, cant blame anyone or anything other than ourselves IMO
    So Hibs are to blame for the howling errors by referees? Such as the chopped-off goal in the last away derby..

First Team Regular
    Completely agree with your post.

Hopefully crosses into the box and relying on the ball falling to is. Create good enough chances and we will score, no luck required

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    I agree totally, however, as stated if you hit the post 2-3 times in a game and nothing falls to you then the only thing you can really do is keep going. Players should improve their mathematics and make sure any shot headed for the post takes the proper deflection trajectory to a team-mate

You are entirely right but there is still a portion of "rub of the green".

Triple handball from St Mirren defender in last minute and no penalty is the "rub of the green" scenario. St Mirren player didn't make that luck. They got lucky.

Also, winning the lottery involves luck. Apart from buying 100k tickets - this kind of luck can not be manufactured.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraz1875 View Post
    I don't buy into this. You cannot have most of the game, fail to convert, and be so soft as to let the opposition go up the park and score against the run of play EVERY week, and put it down to luck.

Did I say I put down their performances down to luck? No. I stated that looking back, we've had some stinking luck as well...

I agree totally, however, as stated if you hit the post 2-3 times in a game and nothing falls to you then the only thing you can really do is keep going. Players should improve their mathematics and make sure any shot headed for the post takes the proper deflection trajectory to a team-mate

You are entirely right but there is still a portion of "rub of the green".

Triple handball from St Mirren defender in last minute and no penalty is the "rub of the green" scenario. St Mirren player didn't make that luck. They got lucky.

Also, winning the lottery involves luck. Apart from buying 100k tickets - this kind of luck can not be manufactured.
    Which game was it Collins got absolutely cleaned out in the penalty area at the FF end when he was shaping to shoot. Right at the end of the game IIRC? Nothing given (was it Raith?)

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cropley10 View Post
    Which game was it Collins got absolutely cleaned out in the penalty area at the FF end when he was shaping to shoot. Right at the end of the game IIRC? Nothing given (was it Raith?)
    St Johnstone.

Quote Originally Posted by Nando™ View Post
    So Hibs are to blame for the howling errors by referees? Such as the chopped-off goal in the last away derby..
    No Nando they are not to blame for that particular decision but are to blame for one win in 19 and 3 goals in the last ten

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Only game I've been to this season (apart from the playoff 2nd leg) was the game just before Christmas (21/12/13) v St. Johnstone 0-0, with a late on stonewaller penalty not given for Collins getting his shooting leg taken out from under him.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/TV...~71470,00.html

J

Gamer IDs

No Nando they are not to blame for that particular decision but are to blame for one win in 19 and 3 goals in the last ten
    But terrible refereeing decisions throughout the season have contributed largely towards us finishing 11th. Had proper officiating been present then we'd be (a rough guess) 6 points clear of it and would have scored more goals through penalties etc..

Am I right in saying the last time we led a game was between the 89th and 90-something minute against Motherwell?

Having those extra two points would probably have made us safe. Actually turning that game from a losing position to a win mightve done wonders to us.

Last season we blamed bottom six on bad luck as well. Was far more credible that time round. Yes the St Mirren handball and Tynecastle offside didn't help and would've made all the difference, but the lack of fortune doesn't outweigh the ineptitude sadly.

First Team Breakthrough Pat 0-7's Avatar

If a few of those decisions had went our way - like the penalty against St. J. and Forsters equaliser against the mutants - we could maybe have had an extra, say, 5 or 6 points and not been in this position.

Injuries to Harris, Hanlon and Thomson have been unlucky as well, although Pat or TB should have had better cover in the squad than what we have at the moment.

I think we will create chances in the play-off, and I think we will get 2 or 3 goals over the 2 games and will do enough to stay up - just.

But terrible refereeing decisions throughout the season have contributed largely towards us finishing 11th. Had proper officiating been present then we'd be (a rough guess) 6 points clear of it and would have scored more goals through penalties etc..
    Thats IF we had managed to score them. The league table does not lie we are where we are for a reason

Coaching Staff
    Still convinced to this day Hibs would have gone on to win if the goal had not been chocked off.

Sorry but this smacks of desperation. I'm sure every other club will have their own bad luck stories. The real shocker is that since January we've been by miles the worst team in the Premiership and that's it really.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Since the Aberdeen game away in January we have been utter gash. The last few games I will admit we have been unlucky when it comes to not getting the breaks in the opposition box. What about the previous 15 games? Some of these games failed to see us create any chances and very little attempts at goal.

The last few games we have been unlucky, yes, however prior to that we were honking without a doubt.

I totally agree with the OP, I remember thinking how unlucky we were seven times at home to Malmö when the ball mysteriously entered our goals.

Damn that bad luck!

Gamer IDs

Thats IF we had managed to score them. The league table does not lie we are where we are for a reason
    We're here for two reasons: Being *****, and referees not giving us what we deserve.

Pretty much a stick-on that most of them would be scored, percentage of penalties scored for the vast majority of clubs is pretty high.

We're here for two reasons: Being *****, and referees not giving us what we deserve.

Pretty much a stick-on that most of them would be scored, percentage of penalties scored for the vast majority of clubs is pretty high.
    As long as Collins never took them

First Team Breakthrough BVB Hibs's Avatar
    Not sure I buy this. Yeah, a few decisions haven't gone our way this year, that's fair enough, but these things always have a way of balancing themselves out. Referees are not to blame for a poor goalscoring record. The fact it comes up as an argument just outlines how poor a goalscoring record we have. Referees, in awarding penalties, probably contribute 5/6 goals a season per team, the fact that's a number we're worried about is laughable. Teams taking it slow and disrupting our rhythm isn't bad luck, it's them knowing exactly how they need to play against us to get us rattled and start making mistakes. The ball not falling to a Hibs player off a save or when coming off the woodwork usually comes down to a lack of anticipation by the players.

One feature of our play I've noticed recently is the sheer number of shots we seem to be taking that get nowhere near the goal. Everything seems to get blocked by an opposition defender. There's only ever one reason for something like that though, and it's that we're making the wrong decisions or not getting the ball to the play quickly enough, and when we do get it there the player spend too long humming and hawing to get a shot away. I overheard people in the ground saying it was unlucky the opposition always seemed to get a foot in the way, it's not unlucky, it's just that we're not good enough to beat a defence.

You would have to honestly compared poor decisions against Hibs with poor decisions against everyone else. I bet supporters of most other teams could rustle up another 6 points due to bad refereeing.

Just having a quick look at stats, e.g. penalties awarded and conceded. Hibs only have 2 for and 4 against. Motherwell also have 2 for but 6 against.

Also note Hibs had third worst discipline after Thistle and yams.
    Last edited by (((Fergus))); 13-05-2014 at 02:26 PM.

I said this the other day, as much as we have been terrible, we have been bloody unlucky more often than not this season.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    You would have to honestly compared poor decisions against Hibs with poor decisions against everyone else. I bet supporters of most other teams could rustle up another 6 points due to bad refereeing.

Just having a quick look at stats, e.g. penalties awarded and conceded. Hibs only have 2 for and 4 against. Motherwell also have 2 for but 6 against.

Also note Hibs had third worst discipline after Thistle and yams.
    I'd be interested in how often the other teams are shafted as well, but nowhere have I read about a team getting *****ed over by officials than I have on here. Having seen some of the incidents myself I'd be very surprised if we weren't the worst done by this season by a considerable margin.

Luck can be decisive in one or two games. But, the league table doesn't lie. If you finish 11th it means you're the 11th best team. We're in the playoffs on merit and merit alone.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraz1875 View Post
    100%, well said Fraz

I can recall stonewall penalties being not given in several games

St Mirren (A): 0-0, foul on Collins
    St Johnstone (H): 0-0, foul on Collins
    St Mirren (H): 2-3, handball
    Celtic (H): 0-4, score was 1-0 at the time, foul on Collins
    Killie (H): 0-1, foul on Nelson
    Hearts (A): 0-2, Forster goal wrongly disallowed a 1-0
    Aberdeen (A): 0-1, foul on Heffernan at 0-0? (Although they should have had a penalty just after aswell)
    Aberdeen (H): 0-2, foul on Collins at 1-0

Yes, granted, we've been awful this season and I'm not making excuses for the mess the club is in, but we have had next to no breaks this season.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    I totally agree with the OP, I remember thinking how unlucky we were seven times at home to Malmö when the ball mysteriously entered our goals.

Damn that bad luck!
    Not part of the run the OP is referring to and all in all a tiresome response.