hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Not A Bad Performance

We'll play worse than that and win games, first half was some of the best football we've played all season. Second half we drifted off and were pretty disappointing as the game wore on but all we were really lacking today was a Kris Boyd - a goalscorer. He was the difference today.

Play like that first half in the play-offs and we'll be fine IMO.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    We've played ok in the last four games and only got one point. Not good signs.

I really felt today that if we'd scored early doors the floodgates would have opened, but it just didn't work out that way. Still feel confident about a team coming from a lower division to a packed Easter Rd which would rattle them. As long as we're strong in the first leg I think we'll do it without too many problems.

Do they no say the sign of a good team is one that sctaoes points even when playing poorly?

We are suppossdly playing well yet are losing almost every game.

Quite worrying.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Disagree, the first 20 we were decent but after that we were dreadful, no shape, no plan, no movement and a punt up the park everytime. Butcher was tactically really poor today.

Should have played with a 4-2-3-1, Watmore one side, Harris the other and Stanton attacking centre, Cummings or Heff up front. Playing a 4-4-2 gave away the midfield to Killies 5 and subsequently we lost all the second balls.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAsHellas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really felt today that if we'd scored early doors the floodgates would have opened, but it just didn't work out that way. Still feel confident about a team coming from a lower division to a packed Easter Rd which would rattle them. As long as we're strong in the first leg I think we'll do it without too many problems.
    A team like Raith Rovers maybe? A packed (or half empty) Easter Road holds no fears for anybody.

@hibs.net private member andy1875's Avatar
    It wasnt our worst performance of the season but it was still extremely poor.

Yes we hit the bar but I can't remember Heff or Collins winning a single header in the second half yet we persisted with the same hoof tactic.

The hoof into the box as well is aimless, high and generally brutal.

I don't think the Killie keeper, like Williams, had much to do.

So in all, I think it was still not a good performance.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    We'll play worse than that and win games.
    That's just it though, we won't.

In the last several games we've been getting close to scoring. But "close" isn't good enough. When players have these opportunities, they have to make sure that they're going to burst the net with them, otherwise all their efforts are futile.

Also, at the other end. Opposition teams have shown that they don't need to create much against us in order to score. As we practically gift the goals away.

If you can't score as well as your opponents and you can't defend as well as your opponents, then you can't beat your opponents. You can have all the ball in the middle of the park and be the team doing most of the passing around. But that won't make any difference to the overall outcome.
    Last edited by Hibercelona; 10-05-2014 at 03:33 PM.

I just thought we were criminally unlucky today, nothing seemed to fall for us and we really should've had a penalty and a man up in the first half when Pascali hauled down Nelson just after he got booked.

Genuinely calm after that, really think that performance was worthy of a win and if we can replicate it in the play-offs we'll be just fine.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    I just thought we were criminally unlucky today, nothing seemed to fall for us and we really should've had a penalty and a man up in the first half when Pascali hauled down Nelson just after he got booked.

Genuinely calm after that, really think that performance was worthy of a win and if we can replicate it in the play-offs we'll be just fine.
    Every week we have somebody coming out and saying "we were unlucky".

When you want to win badly enough, you don't get unlucky. You make sure that every chance is taken and you make sure that you cover every inch of the pitch to ensure that the opposition can't gain the upper hand.

We don't do this. That's why we lose. Luck has nothing to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibercelona View Post
    That's just it though, we won't.

In the last several games we've been getting close to scoring. But "close" isn't good enough. When players have these opportunities, they have to make sure that they're going to burst the net with them, otherwise all their efforts are futile.

Also, at the other end. Opposition teams have shown that they don't need to create much against us in order to score. As we practically gift the goals away.

If you can't score as well as your opponents and you can't defend as well as your opponents, then you can't beat your opponents. You can have all the ball in the middle of the park and be the team doing most of the passing around. But that won't make any difference to the overall outcome.

After the St Mirren game I said "if we play like that we'll beat Hearts"

After the Hearts game I said "if we play like that we'll beat Partick"

After the Partick game I said "if we play like that we'll beat County"

Hibs seem to be masters of playing 1 level below the other team. Not confident at all.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibercelona View Post
    Every week we have somebody coming out and saying "we were unlucky".When you want to win badly enough, you don't get unlucky. You make sure that every chance is taken and you make sure that you cover every inch of the pitch to ensure that the opposition can't gain the upper hand.We don't do this. That's why we lose. Luck has nothing to do with it.
    Agree 100% - sorry folks but that performance was brutal. We are a terrible football team to watch and going forward is a total embarrassment. We have only won what, 1 in 19 now?

That is not luck, that is us being the worst team in the league bar none. How anyone can honestly say they think we've played well in the last few games in beyond me.

We've been playing the worst teams in a very, very average Scottish league, teams with budgets much smaller than ours and we can barely manage a couple of shots on target a game.

I knew today that as soon as the Killie goal went in we were beat. Sad saying that but the players and management seemed to think that as well and only started getting bothered with 10 minutes to go.

Left by mutual consent!
    We'll play worse than that and win games, first half was some of the best football we've played all season. Second half we drifted off and were pretty disappointing as the game wore on but all we were really lacking today was a Kris Boyd - a goalscorer. He was the difference today.

No, we won't be fine. No matter how pretty our football can be, we cannot score.

Coaching Staff
    Before this game nearly everyone was begging for a 4-4-2 set up. So as far as TB is concerned dammed if he does dammed if he dosen't.

Seriously though we were criminally unlucky, rattled the bar, a few shots off the line, a few goalmouth scrambles that just wouldn't fall for us, a few strong penalty claims (one a stonewaller and a red card) not given our way. There's only so much you can do.

Wasn't our day, such is the story of our season but we'll be alright come May 26th, that I'm confident of.

The 442 looked better and a big plus having Heffernan back. I suspected we were going down before today. Not so sure now. We could very well get out of this.

@hibs.net private member
    The boy Garner for Preston has just shown the difference having a decent striker makes. Sheer brilliance gets Preston back into the game at 1-1

Seriously though we were criminally unlucky, rattled the bar, a few shots off the line, a few goalmouth scrambles that just wouldn't fall for us, a few strong penalty claims (one a stonewaller and a red card) not given our way. There's only so much you can do.

Wasn't our day, such is the story of our season but we'll be alright come May 26th, that I'm confident of.
    we need to have todays tempo in the play offs for 90 mins each match
    they are in a lower league for a reason

First half I thought we were fairly good in all areas of the pitch, and then Killie score with their first shot. 0-1, exactly what happened in the Partick game last Saturday.

Second half was a total embarassment of a performance, so the OP is half right.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We have been the worst team in the league this year and finished in our rightful position.

No creativity, no composure in front of goal, no star player to bail us out and played most of season without our best two defenders Hanlon and McPake.

Today's performance was as predictable as it was disappointing. Just not good enough.

If our playoff opponents have a manager with tactical nous then our players are easy to play against. I have a feeling of impending doom.

First Team Regular

What has luck got to do with it. Did we really create a clear cut chance, perhaps one from some good passing and releasing a striker through on goal or a goal laid on a plate by good attacking football? The team, at the moment, don't actually know how to create a proper chance or opportunity for our forwards. Its either booted 40 yards from the CH's or floated hopeful crosses from 30 yards out hoping for a bit of luck. Why not get down the bye line and actually purposefully cross to a striker to head home.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    We have been the worst team in the league this year and finished in our rightful position.

No creativity, no composure in front of goal, no star player to bail us out and played most of season without our best two defenders Hanlon and McPake.

Today's performance was as predictable as it was disappointing. Just not good enough.

If our playoff opponents have a manager with tactical nous then our players are easy to play against. I have a feeling of impending doom.
    Dont even need that! Let Hibs come at you, hit on the break, you will be presented with a chance, take it. Game over.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc1875 View Post
    Dont even need that! Let Hibs come at you, hit on the break, you will be presented with a chance, take it. Game over.
    Correct. The players don't even believe they are going to score.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Before this game nearly everyone was begging for a 4-4-2 set up. So as far as TB is concerned dammed if he does dammed if he dosen't.
    4-4-2 is no good unless you have two players up front who can score goals.
    PH looked half fit and couldn't create a chance whereas JC is fully fit and couldn't create a chance.

One up is fine if that one is Sparky.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdawg View Post
    What has luck got to do with it. Did we really create a clear cut chance, perhaps one from some good passing and releasing a striker through on goal or a goal laid on a plate by good attacking football? The team, at the moment, don't actually know how to create a proper chance or opportunity for our forwards. Its either booted 40 yards from the CH's or floated hopeful crosses from 30 yards out hoping for a bit of luck. Why not get down the bye line and actually purposefully cross to a striker to head home.
    We hit the bar and had a few cleared off the line, we had chances but nothing fell for us, that's unlucky. The players have to do better, I agree with that but I thought the performance was generally alright, I'm optimistic for the play-offs.

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MehHFC View Post
    After the St Mirren game I said "if we play like that we'll beat Hearts"

After the Hearts game I said "if we play like that we'll beat Partick"

After the Partick game I said "if we play like that we'll beat County"

Hibs seem to be masters of playing 1 level below the other team. Not confident at all.
    Horrible but true.

Lets hope we play like we need to in those games.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    I thought it was quite similar to fenlons last game versus hearts. We battered them for nearly 40 minutes but couldn't score then Boyd scored the sucker punch and knocked the wind out the performance. Not good enough.

You have to score goals to win games and we didn't create enough.

We are the worst team in the league and have won 1 game in19.

I admire your confidence but we can't buy a goal .

Quote Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
    You have to score goals to win games and we didn't create enough.

We are the worst team in the league and have won 1 game in19.

I admire your confidence but we can't buy a goal .
    Boyd was the difference today, Falkirk and Hamilton don't have a Boyd, hence my optimism.