hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

Nelson Sending Off - Could Save Our Season

Hate to berate players but this guy has been a massive liability since the turn of the year

He has consistently punted the ball aimlessly .... usually into the stands and if not, nearly always to the opposition. This has given our forwards and midfield no chance to keep possession and how TB has continued to pick him is beyond me.

His defending and attacking of the ball at set pieces was good at the beginning of the season. However he has lost his ability to defend and is slower than a week in the jail.

We actually played better once he was off. No coincidence that we got the equaliser once he was gone.

It is a massive positive for me that he is missing. Hopefully Forster in as he is better at keeping possession and looks to bring it out from the back.

Really believe we will be better without him not only defensively but in starting to attack through playing to feet.

Think we can get at least a draw and a win out of the last two games now that Nelson is out

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Nelson's sending off could save our season for no other reason than the fact Higganbotham and Taylor were almost certain to score if he didn't sacrifice himself.

Honestly, folk love a hate figure.

Nonsense of a thread and we must be approaching record figures for threads which are are started simply to berate someone connected to Hibs. Saturday afternoon iphone warriors indeed.... I truly hope that next season goes well for us for all the usual reasons but an additional reason will be that we will see the back of a good number of forum dafties who will disappear like snow off of a dyke if/when we start winning our fair share of games.

If he hadn't committed that last foul we'd have been beaten today, will be interesting to see if we do any better on Tuesday night.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just me that was hoping for the straight red so he'd be out for the season?
    Probably. Even though it wouldn't have worked that way.
    ​#PERSEVERED

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertK86 View Post
    Hate to berate players but this guy has been a massive liability since the turn of the year

He has consistently punted the ball aimlessly .... usually into the stands and if not, nearly always to the opposition. This has given our forwards and midfield no chance to keep possession and how TB has continued to pick him is beyond me.

His defending and attacking of the ball at set pieces was good at the beginning of the season. However he has lost his ability to defend and is slower than a week in the jail.

We actually played better once he was off. No coincidence that we got the equaliser once he was gone.

It is a massive positive for me that he is missing. Hopefully Forster in as he is better at keeping possession and looks to bring it out from the back.

Really believe we will be better without him not only defensively but in starting to attack through playing to feet.

Think we can get at least a draw and a win out of the last two games now that Nelson is out
    I agree with much of what you say about Michael Nelson. He isn't a good enough a footballer to play at this level. I would not question his commitment, but that in itself is just not enough. However, it's wrong to single him out (or any other player) for Hibs defensive failings. As I keep saying on these forums Hibs, as a team, just cannot defend properly. You win as a team or lose as a team.

@hibs.net private member
    So the guys who think this is nonsense.................... do you think he is a player and that his passing is good

Bottom line is both bookings were simple enough tackles but the lead weights in his boots stopped him winning the challenges

My ten year old nephew could have won these tackles cleanly

His two yellows very probably saved us going 3-0 down.

@hibs.net private member ...WentToMowAnSPL's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: satvis1
    I think he was absolutely fine when playing next to Paul Hanlon ... Once Paul got injured our defence and season collapsed like a pack of cards
    "At the end of the day, we all aspire to bigger things in our lives but one thing I can truly say from my heart is if I never kick a ball for one of these bigger clubs I would be delighted to stay with Hibs for the rest of my career. That's how highly I regard this club." Ivan Sproule

@hibs.net private member
    This is ridiculous. He didn't do anything major wrong today... Or last week...or the week before yet he is constantly made the scapegoat.

You could argue by taking the second yellow he saved our season as it was a certain goal.

Nelson was good beside hanlon and they were a good pairing at the back no coincidence things have got worse when he's been out

Gamer IDs

Agree 100%
    "At the end of the day, we all aspire to bigger things in our lives but one thing I can truly say from my heart is if I never kick a ball for one of these bigger clubs I would be delighted to stay with Hibs for the rest of my career. That's how highly I regard this club." Ivan Sproule

Gamer IDs

Actually he was very very slow

He's ***** & I hope be never pulls on a Hibs shirt again.

@hibs.net private member Simkin911's Avatar
    Poor distribution & not too quick but I hope he plays a part in a victory over Killie next week. I'll certainly be cheering for him. He doesn't pick himself for the team each week so there's little point not supporting those that are picked... It's not like we have a 25 yr old Maldini waiting to step in for him.

Think the guy is absolutely abysmal. It's impossible to build anything with the ball when you have someone just launching it as far as they can.

I'm not having this garbage about his yellows saving our season. Defend properly in the first place. The Partick goal today for instance when Doolan just nipped of the back of him.

@hibs.net private member
    The abuse he gets is embarassing he is not alone in making mistakes and costing us goals. As everyone with eyes has seen in the last few weeks Forster has cost us FOUR goals, not Nelson.

Some players get an easier ride than others how about we just support the team as one rather than have a pop at Nelson every game when he does little wrong?

Testimonial Due
    He took one for the team with both bookings, particularly the second. Not a fan of him as a footballer but his red card today doesn't reflect badly on him at all.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Think the guy is absolutely abysmal. It's impossible to build anything with the ball when you have someone just launching it as far as they can.

I'm not having this garbage about his yellows saving our season. Defend properly in the first place. The Partick goal today for instance when Doolan just nipped of the back of him.
    Doolan, a quick forward, 'nips' in the back of him. Funny that. Are you saying that he was to blame? Not McGivern who left the gaping hole for the pass to be put through?

Not to mention there was a fair bit of luck with their goal...

Garbage? Really? Both his yellows saved certain goals. It was nothing to do with his defending. Most centre backs would have taken the man down twice

So the guys who think this is nonsense.................... do you think he is a player and that his passing is good

Bottom line is both bookings were simple enough tackles but the lead weights in his boots stopped him winning the challenges

The nonsense is that you feel it worth your time to start another utterly boring thread knocking Hibs. The question of Michael Nelson's abilities will be answered in the close season when TB keeps him or not. In the meantime he is what we have and he should be supported as a Hibs player. And your 10 year old would get run over in a mans game of footie. Stop posting daft stuff and you will get taken a wee bit more seriously.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    I didn't actually think the second was even a foul. Taylor made the most. The first wasn't much of a booking either - but again, Taylor was rolling around in the box looking for a pen.

Poor player IMHO. A pro should have a touch and be able to pass - both these basics seem beyond Nelson.

@hibs.net private member

Absolute nonsense

Nothing wrong with what the op says to be honest. I thought Nelson was a liability who gave away the ball all game. He was horrific when on it as well and seems to be unaware or opposition players around him.

Craig (who was also having a shocker) seemed to stroll into the CB role when Nelson went off and we seemed to play better. Whether that was down to throwing our all at them or the fact Nelson wasn't there to simply HOOOOOOF it up the park I don't know.

He tries hard but he's not a good player sadly.

Ryan McGivern was culpable today. Total bomb scare and will ultimately cost Hibernian very, very dear.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia Na Eir View Post
    Ryan McGivern was culpable today. Total bomb scare and will ultimately cost Hibernian very, very dear.
    He was certainly the one at fault for the sending off though it was his initial ball the set us up for the equaliser.

I thought Nelson had a better game than RMcG and was a threat at set pieces, especially first half.

Sky sports understands that Hearts are going down.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc1875 View Post
    Doolan, a quick forward, 'nips' in the back of him. Funny that. Are you saying that he was to blame? Not McGivern who left the gaping hole for the pass to be put through?

Not to mention there was a fair bit of luck with their goal...

Garbage? Really? Both his yellows saved certain goals. It was nothing to do with his defending. Most centre backs would have taken the man down twice
    Nelson didn't have a clue where he was although McGivern was equally culpable. It's the same week in, week out, we start brightly and then the defence chuck one in. He's been a constant in that. I agree that majority of defenders would empty the forward. I was more trying to make the point that our season has been defined by various defensive howlers as opposed to him saving us by getting sent off.

Need to to see it again as well but I'm not sure Taylor had a clear one on one with Williams at the first yellow. Thought cover had got back in as he was wide. Could be wrong on that though.
    Last edited by B.H.F.C; 03-05-2014 at 07:51 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Nothing wrong with what the op says to be honest. I thought Nelson was a liability who gave away the ball all game. He was horrific when on it as well and seems to be unaware or opposition players around him.

Craig (who was also having a shocker) seemed to stroll into the CB role when Nelson went off and we seemed to play better. Whether that was down to throwing our all at them or the fact Nelson wasn't there to simply HOOOOOOF it up the park I don't know.

He tries hard but he's not a good player sadly.
    We played better in the first half than second IMO and Nelson if it wasn't for Gallacher would have scored twice. He had a big say in causing lots of problems in their box

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Nelson didn't have a clue where he was although McGivern was equally culpable. It's the same week in, week out, we start brightly and then the defence chuck one in. He's been a constant in that. I agree that majority of defenders would empty the forward. I was more trying to make the point that our season has been defined by various defensive howlers as opposed to him saving us by getting sent off.

Need to to see it again as well but I'm not sure Taylor had a clear one on one with Williams at the first yellow. Thought cover had got back in as he was wide. Could be wrong on that though.
    I agree with that. Every defender has been culpable throughout the season. I would argue that Nelson has been less culpable than the rest over the last few games though.

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    Nelson's sending off could save our season for no other reason than the fact Higganbotham and Taylor were almost certain to score if he didn't sacrifice himself.

Honestly, folk love a hate figure.
    Too right. He's not the best footballer but he doesn't get enough credit for the headers he wins in our box when it could easily be a goal for the opposition. He's not the answer but he's not as bad as a lot make him out to be. If he didn't stop that attack there'd be a protest outside the west stand just now.