hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    bit of a non-story, his old man is a republican landlord is he not?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by One Day View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hear Hear
    A Scottish Premiership player singing pro-IRA songs in a pub in Northern Ireland is bang out of order.

Quote Originally Posted by NOLA View Post
    I think so, was he not arrested over an arms raid?

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLA View Post
    It would be a bit of a non-story if Celtic and the Green Brigade didn`t keep banging on about how morally superior they are to every other club in Scotland and their supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Not that I agree with the singing or support the IRA in any way, but did a section of our support not sing pro-IRA songs in the 70s/80s?
    Not since the early 1970s and I am told it stopped for three reasons. Firstly Tom Hart hated it and asked the ringleaders to drop it as it was embarrassing the club. They duly did over time.

Secondly, singing about the IRA didn't seem so funny when you were getting a new atrocity on your tv every week courtesy of them.And Finally many Hibs supporters have served In The British Army (like it or not). Many serving members of the Forces attended Easter Road then and now and it was both ignorant and disrespectful to be praising via some crap old songs the actions of a bunch of gangsters who would do their best to murder them.

Quote Originally Posted by StranraerHibee View Post
    A Scottish Premiership player singing pro-IRA songs in a pub in Northern Ireland is bang out of order.

Out of order it certainly is but I cant say it offends me, neither would I be offended if the story was about Rangers player singing the sash in a Belfast pub. I have more important things to worry about, not least the plight of my own team at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by BH Hibs View Post
    Absolutely right mate they hate it that he doesn't hide that fact he is still a Hibby
    One of my Celtic pals told me that deek was a Celtic fan when he signed for them lol.....the idiot truly believed he was!

First Team Breakthrough Jonny1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Jonny1875
    Quote Originally Posted by BH Hibs View Post
    Has he really done anything wrong apart from being a fanny for being there. He's an Irishman in a part of Ireland which is strongly Nationalist and Republican maybe or maybe not singing a rebel song. As I said maybe shouldn't have been there but that's about it. As for Celtc fans they've always been hypocrites so nothing will change there.
    Everyone who goes is a Celtic fan.
    Yes his dad is a landlord in Dublin I think.
    In my opinion he shouldn't be attending these but he gets treated like God at them.

I'm a passionate believer in a unified Ireland and am offended some of you only believe Celtic fans have this belief. Religion though - could not give a damn.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by SkintHibby View Post
    I'm a passionate believer in a unified Ireland and am offended some of you only believe Celtic fans have this belief. Religion though - could not give a damn.
    I'm a passionate believer that Celtic and Rangers perpetuate religious bigotry, sectarianism, bile and hatred using football as a platform !

Couldn't give two hoots about Ireland, similarly don't see why in 2014 we are still talking about fans being sectarian - politics and football shouldn't be in the same arena.

Glasgow's 'influence' over Scotland is sickening on all fronts.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    I'm an atheist who also believes in a united Ireland but killing people to achieve it makes no sense, worse when you then have morons who glorify, justify or fail to condemn those doing the killings because they happen to follow a football club that many have a patchy understanding of its history and dubious understanding of the country and cause they are singing about.

Don't get me started on the huns :-)
    Last edited by Bostonhibby; 03-05-2014 at 06:53 AM.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the subject at hand. Trying reading what we were talking about before you start giving your views.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM_1875 View Post
    Not since the early 1970s and I am told it stopped for three reasons. Firstly Tom Hart hated it and asked the ringleaders to drop it as it was embarrassing the club. They duly did over time.

Secondly, singing about the IRA didn't seem so funny when you were getting a new atrocity on your tv every week courtesy of them.And Finally many Hibs supporters have served In The British Army (like it or not). Many serving members of the Forces attended Easter Road then and now and it was both ignorant and disrespectful to be praising via some crap old songs the actions of a bunch of gangsters who would do their best to murder them.
    Excellent post AndyM

Some people have very short memories of what exactly happened and is still happening underground now. I was one of those what you call (like it or not) serving members during the atrocities and the memories I carry with me every day still haunt me now.

As I understand it behind the Griffiths banner was one pointing out Celtic's roots in an immigrant community and stating that immigrants were "welcome"

That is where the Skacel song ( not to mention the disgusting Edinburgh is wonderful song ) gets us. It allows the ( cringeworthy ) green brigade to not only grab the moral high ground, but makes us look bad in the process.

As celtic are in the west we should be in the East ...... That is, the club of choice for people who have settled from eastern Europe. Given the history of Hibs we should be seen as a welcoming and open destination for these potential Hibbies and future Scots. Heaven forbid that the stupid actions of a minority of our support, Leigh Griffths included, should turn these folk away from Easter Road.

Annoying though the actions of the green brigade are, we should be even more annoyed at the idiots in our own support who give them the opportunity to do it and drag the word Hibby through the mud in the process.

First Team Breakthrough VivaHiberņa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE BOVRIL View Post
    As I understand it behind the Griffiths banner was one pointing out Celtic's roots in an immigrant community and stating that immigrants were "welcome"

That is where the Skacel song ( not to mention the disgusting Edinburgh is wonderful song ) gets us. It allows the ( cringeworthy ) green brigade to not only grab the moral high ground, but makes us look bad in the process.

As celtic are in the west we should be in the East ...... That is, the club of choice for people who have settled from eastern Europe. Given the history of Hibs we should be seen as a welcoming and open destination for these potential Hibbies and future Scots. Heaven forbid that the stupid actions of a minority of our support, Leigh Griffths included, should turn these folk away from Easter Road.

Annoying though the actions of the green brigade are, we should be even more annoyed at the idiots in our own support who give them the opportunity to do it and drag the word Hibby through the mud in the process.
    The real scandal wasn't the one numpty singing a song but the fact that there was a whole pub of numpties joining in.

My point regarding Stokes was to see whether the IRA apologists at Parkhead will give him a telling off too. Doubtful since they are massive hypocrites.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam Miller View Post
    One of my Celtic pals told me that deek was a Celtic fan when he signed for them lol.....the idiot truly believed he was!
    I used to be told the same about Pat Stanton all the time. There really is no limit to the arrogance or stupidity of Celtc fans.

First Team Breakthrough VivaHiberņa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    I used to be told the same about Pat Stanton all the time. There really is no limit to the arrogance or stupidity of Celtc fans.
    They could discover an Amazonian tribe that has had no contact with the outside world for centuries and in which not a single member has ever seen a football before and sign one of them up, and those fannies would still be adamant that it was his "lifelong dream to pull on the hoops."

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage East View Post
    An Irishman singing Irish songs in Ireland? So ****ing what. Anyone that's genuinely offended by this needs to have a word with themselves.
    Surely there is room for complaint if he sung badly

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    A German pal of mine met some Celtc fans last night wearing T-Shirts with Skacel on them in support of him after the song.
    Obviously forgotten about their manager going bananas when he claimed he spat on by him.

Quote Originally Posted by givescotlandfreedom View Post
    A German pal of mine met some Celtc fans last night wearing T-Shirts with Skacel on them in support of him after the song.
    Obviously forgotten about their manager going bananas when he claimed he spat on by him.
    Eh? Where was this (as in the t-shirt wearing, not the spitting)?