hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar

Hibs/Hearts Fan base

I was reading an article yesterday regarding the fan base of Hibs and Hearts it gave it 2:1 in favour of them. I always thought that they had a larger support than us as they seem to "pull" more fans from the lothians i.e. mid and west than we do, but in Edinburgh I genuinely believe that we have more fans. If they do outnumber our fans by 2:1 it shows that our crowds stand up brilliantly compared to theirs, even more so due to the nature of their tainted recent successes.

Thoughts ?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Can't see it being 2:1. That sounds like one of their deluded minds telling you!

Where was the 'article' because it is nonsense.

Does that mean we have a fan base of 200,000 ?

It's never 2:1 more like 12:11

@hibs.net private member
    They come out with crap like that all the time. They have bigger support but only just.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Of course it's right, when you have whole families that are intimately related it stands to reason that fan numbers will be swelled.

Scouse hibee your 100% correct fact . I agree . I defo read that online somewhere hehe

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

They do have a larger support but it's closer than they like to think.

For every 11 Jambos out there, there are 10 Hibees. End of.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is in a book called : Edinburgh a cultural and literary history by a guy called Donald Campbell. I am not saying I agree with him. I think it is nearer to 3:2

3 to 2. Don't talk pish!

The Hibs support holds up well considering Hearts are Edinburghs establishment team and Edinburgh is a presbyterian city.

Left by mutual consent!
    Hearts certainly have generally had a couple of thousand more going through the gates every other week in the last 25 years or so. This would suggest to me they have more fans. There is no way anyone could argue that hearts are not the better supported team but the gap in support numbers is nowhere near as big as some yams would have you believe.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiethedog View Post
    It is in a book called : Edinburgh a cultural and literary history by a guy called Donald Campbell. I am not saying I agree with him. I think it is nearer to 3:2
    Be interesting to know what his sources are. I prefer the 11:10 ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by SkintHibby View Post
    3 to 2. Don't talk pish!

The Hibs support holds up well considering Hearts are Edinburghs establishment team and Edinburgh is a presbyterian city.
    A balanced post, it has a chip on both shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sea-gull View Post
    Hearts certainly have generally had a couple of thousand more going through the gates every other week in the last 25 years or so. This would suggest to me they have more fans. There is no way anyone could argue that hearts are not the better supported team but the gap in support numbers is nowhere near as big as some yams would have you believe.
    I would agree with you. I think we have slightly more in Edinburgh but they pull big time from west and Midlothian. Hence the 3:2 although it might be closer to 4:3

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Agree but when viewers switch on today and see all the empty seats at our end ,we do ourselves no Favours .So come on anyone that can still get along today do so and play your part

Quote Originally Posted by The Sea-gull View Post

If you look at gates since the war the Hearts have had slightly bigger crowds on average- 54-46. However the team doing best generally gets most. If Hibs had dominated (without the doping) in the way Hearts have over the last 20 years or so we would have had the better gates I think. Both clubs have big latent supports and there is not much between them, if both are going well. Recent Cup finals, European games etc do show, that despite repeated failure, we have a strong base too and people are prepared to come out if they are entertained and the team is doing well.

I suspect the last 20 years has had a bit of an impact and it strikes me quite a lot of our support is 40+ (may be its who I know!). Would be interested in others views if they also think our fan base is ageing?

Testimonial Due capitals_finest's Avatar
    3 to 2. Don't talk pish!

I think it's hard to argue religion and class comes into it. The geography of where we are brought up is the overriding factor outside family ties. The east and north of the city is mainly hibs while the west and lothians is mainly hearts.

12/11 would be about right, but hearts have been more successful in recent times so that could account for the slight difference.

3 to 2. Don't talk pish!

Re your last phrase, are you for real? This is 2014, not the era of the Highland clearances. Edinburgh is a multi cultural city with no real religious slant to it at all IMO

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    Agree but when viewers switch on today and see all the empty seats at our end ,we do ourselves no Favours .So come on anyone that can still get along today do so and play your part
    No worries mate, any chance you could give me a lift? I'll be at the top of Muirhouse Green from 11:30.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    For every 11 Jambos out there, there are 10 Hibees. End of.

For every 99 jambo fingers, there's 100 Hibs fingers.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Islington Hibs View Post
    If you look at gates since the war the Hearts have had slightly bigger crowds on average- 54-46. However the team doing best generally gets most. If Hibs had dominated (without the doping) in the way Hearts have over the last 20 years or so we would have had the better gates I think. Both clubs have big latent supports and there is not much between them, if both are going well. Recent Cup finals, European games etc do show, that despite repeated failure, we have a strong base too and people are prepared to come out if they are entertained and the team is doing well.

I suspect the last 20 years has had a bit of an impact and it strikes me quite a lot of our support is 40+ (may be its who I know!). Would be interested in others views if they also think our fan base is ageing?
    Agree with what you say here.

It's all nonsense. Surveys and stuff are just crap. Reality is that there are just as many Hibees as Jam Tarts in the world.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: stevesyb
    I'd argue the supports are roughly the same in total they just have more people willing to attend matches.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiethedog View Post
    I would agree with you. I think we have slightly more in Edinburgh but they pull big time from west and Midlothian. Hence the 3:2 although it might be closer to 4:3
    I once calculated the ratio of Hibs/Hearts attendances for each year since the 50s. I can't remember the actual number but it suggested Hearts attendances were on average 12-15% higher than Hibs. Of course attendance figures can be fiddled, and it isn't a perfect measure anyway, but that would indicate closer to 9:8.

For what its worth I did the same with Rangers and Celtic, and the difference between Celtic and Rangers was more like 4:3 or something, so Hibs and Hearts are closer in size that the Old Firm are to each other (IMO).

Jambos live in dream world. Its is up to us to give them a beating so fierce, that they come back to reality. Its the polite thing to do!

Last season's average attendances.............Hearts 13225............Hibs 10307

Looking back to season 06/07................Hearts 16937...................Hibs 14587

Around 2-3000 more on average, not really that much in the grand scheme of things.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    Well my brother and about 9 stags from Bath will be in the East today, cheering on the Hibees.

J

@hibs.net private member Don Giovanni's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Of course it's right, when you have whole families that are intimately related it stands to reason that fan numbers will be swelled.
    Indeed. I strongly suspect that the gullible simpleton who dreamt up this ridiculous statistic did not conduct a skull count of all Hibs and Hearts fans.

Rather, the naive ****forbrains probably asked a sample population of fans. Upon asking each Hearts fan how many Jambos he knows he'll have received a glaikit stare (of several minutes) before the stupefied Yam drawls "uh... other than me, there's uh... my brother... my Da... my Uncle... and uh... my Granda".

Unfortunately for our statistically illiterate friend, the "brother, father, uncle and grandfather" quoted by said tramp is likely to be the same individual.

Simple mistake to make, I suppose, if you're not acquainted with Yam cultures & traditions.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarter1 View Post
    I once calculated the ratio of Hibs/Hearts attendances for each year since the 50s. I can't remember the actual number but it suggested Hearts attendances were on average 12-15% higher than Hibs. Of course attendance figures can be fiddled, and it isn't a perfect measure anyway, but that would indicate closer to 9:8.

For what its worth I did the same with Rangers and Celtic, and the difference between Celtic and Rangers was more like 4:3 or something, so Hibs and Hearts are closer in size that the Old Firm are to each other (IMO).

Jambos live in dream world. Its is up to us to give them a beating so fierce, that they come back to reality. Its the polite thing to do!
    Hearts attendances include every season ticket holder, even the ones that didn't go to the game.

@hibs.net private member Don Giovanni's Avatar
    3 to 2. Don't talk pish!

WTF is a "presbyterian city"?