hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stefan Scougall

First Team Breakthrough Paperboy's Avatar

Stefan Scougall

Apologies if it's been posted elsewhere but I was reading an interview with Sheffield United winger Stefan Scougall. In it the article mentions he was freed by Hibs at the age of 16 for being too small but later in the interview he says he doesn't want to talk about Hibs letting him go.

anyone wonder what happened to him? And what is the size criteria for players who are 16?

Just wondering!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Interesting. I heard from someone whose going down to Wembley on a bus with Scougall's friends and relatives that it was Hearts who released him. Guy who told me is a Jambo.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Think there as a thread about it a few months ago . Sure it was hibs that let him go .

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Interesting. I heard from someone whose going down to Wembley on a bus with Scougall's friends and relatives that it was Hearts who released him. Guy who told me is a Jambo.
    He was released by us unfortunately. Looks like a big mistake now!

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARLEYS DUG View Post
    He was released by us unfortunately. Looks like a big mistake now!

A la Gordon Strachan?

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    The Decca boy that rejected the Beatles tho was right - what a bag of doo-doo they were. (I much prefer the Stones ;)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Every club will have players they rejected as youngsters who made it elsewhere.

Scougall is on the bench at a League 1 club. He's still to prove himself.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Left by mutual consent!

He starts most games and has scored twice. Still got a lot to prove but he isn't warming the bench down there.

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    The Decca boy that rejected the Beatles tho was right - what a bag of doo-doo they were. (I much prefer the Stones ;)
    Love this post, always said that

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARLEYS DUG View Post
    He starts most games and has scored twice. Still got a lot to prove but he isn't warming the bench down there.

Agree. He's done well down there but still a long way to go.

Mate at work who is a Sheffield Utd season ticket holder has been raving about Stefan Scougall. Was stunned when I told him he was released by Hibs at the age of 16 for being too small. Scougall would easily walk straight into our first team.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    Agree. He's done well down there but still a long way to go.

Mate at work who is a Sheffield Utd season ticket holder has been raving about Stefan Scougall. Was stunned when I told him he was released by Hibs at the age of 16 for being too small. Scougall would easily walk straight into our first team.
    Surprised he didn't get a move sooner tbh.

Hardly. Also Sheffield United are a huge club to be playing for at that young age, certainly a step up from anything in Scotland other than Celtic.

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar
    Who's to say that getting released by Hibs wasn't the best thing that's ever happened to him, giving him the drive and determination to make something of himself? No guarantee if he stayed at Hibs he'd have made it.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    I dont believe he was released for being too small. It will be because we didnt think he was good enough to compensate for his lack of height/strength.

If we had messi on our books we wouldnt have released him because of his size so to suggest thats the only factor isnt the case imo

Every club will have players they rejected as youngsters who made it elsewhere

It happens often, but probably not as often as players being given contacts then being released and never heard of again.

A decent player perhaps helped by getting first team games at live rather than in hibs reserves?

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post

Personal tastes in music differ just as in choice of the football team we support, i suppose.

Me i preferred the Beatles myself but loved the Stones music too!

anyway this is a football forum and we are talking about a lad getting released from Hibs at 16. This happens a lot to youngsters but as another poster says. Sometimes it gives them the determination to go else where and prove them wrong.

Gordon Strachan and Keith Wright were let go by Hibs not because they were to wee though.

Mickey Weir was ready to give up football at a young age as he kept getting told he was too wee. Luckily for us he was persuaded to get back out on the field and let his ability speak for itself.

Its hard on these kids being told they are not good enough for a club sometimes it makes or breaks them.

@hibs.net private member
    Hibs are still releasing youngsters based on size. Seems crazy to me. But we've had threads on here about we are a team of midgets in the past

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stantons Angel View Post
    Personal tastes in music differ just as in choice of the football team we support, i suppose.

anyway this is a football forum and we are talking about a lad getting released from Hibs at 16. This happens a lot to youngsters but as another poster says. Sometimes it gives them the determination to go else where and prove them wrong.

Gordon Strachan and Keith Wright were let go by Hibs not because they were to wee though.

Mickey Weir was ready to give up football at a young age as he kept getting told he was too wee. Luckily for us he was persuaded to get back out on the field and let his ability speak for itself.

Its hard on these kids being told they are not good enough for a club sometimes it makes or breaks them.
    Presumably drawing analogies is allowed? Please note my use of smiley ;) My point speaks for itself tho. Regardless of the industry folks that influence the careers of others have preferences which may or may not appreciate the skills/potential of others. What would be interesting to know is if the dude acknowledge he made a mistake ("I made a call based on what I knew/saw at the time" I'd imagine). So why should football be any different?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    Tbh him and Sean Welsh are the only two hibs youngsters I can think of that were let go and have went on to do something.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paperboy View Post
    Apologies if it's been posted elsewhere but I was reading an interview with Sheffield United winger Stefan Scougall. In it the article mentions he was freed by Hibs at the age of 16 for being too small but later in the interview he says he doesn't want to talk about Hibs letting him go.

anyone wonder what happened to him? And what is the size criteria for players who are 16?

Just wondering!
    He wasn't released cos he was small. You just need to look at our youth teams and the height of some of the players in it to realise that's p!sh. I'd suggest it was down to something else completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Billychaotic182 View Post
    Tbh him and Sean Welsh are the only two hibs youngsters I can think of that were let go and have went on to do something.
    or even do anything at a reasonable level.

The trick is recognising their potential before we release them for whatever reason. The proportion of players released to those that we do release and come back to bite us is minimal. Given the amount of folk that go through the system, and not just here, it is bound to happen. Some you win, some you don't.

Left by mutual consent!
    Sparky ;)

Leigh griffiths ;)

Gamer IDs

Oh yeah forgot leigh was a hibs youth player. Always thought he was a livi youth. Was Ian Black one of our youth players as well?

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Oh yeah forgot leigh was a hibs youth player. Always thought he was a livi youth. Was Ian Black one of our youth players as well?
    No, Black went straight from Ross High School to Blackburn Rovers.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Gordon Strachan and John Robertson.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Gordon Strachan and John Robertson.
    They were before my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Stantons Angel View Post

I blame the housekeepers that look after these lads when they're in club digs...if they fed them properly they wouldn't be so small and Hibs wouldn't have to release them

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Kirk Broadfoot and most likely Marc McNulty as well.