hibs.net Messageboard

Chic Charnley Goal...

You know the one i mean...and if you don't stop reading now!!

Iv just been looking on youtube, and it doesn't seem to be there anyone know where i can find it? Were there even cameras there that day?

I remember Chico pulling Larssons dreads right in front of us that day, Larsson was not impressed! Sad to think it was nearly 20 years ago!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    That game was live on sky so must be about somewhere, most people will think of his halfway line goal with a title like that, there weren't cameras at that game, was actually in our half!

Testimonial Due
    I was looking on YouTube recently for Rankin's "squiggler" against Celtic in Sept 2007, but couldn't find it either.

The Larsson goal is shown in this video numerous times (along with some other great goals including Pat McGinley's half way yin! http://youtu.be/lXfHId42b8Y

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    That was the game when he cracked the cross bar as well. Could have scored a couple of crackers that day.

Was Wim Jansens first game as Celtic manager if I recall correctly.

Should be in bed but just watched the entire video, can somebody let the current team watch this "no substitute for skill" "attacking football" "team spirit" and training down at Dunfermline collage if I'm not mistaken, most of that team would walk (or attack with pace) into today's team!!

@hibs.net private member s2hart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Iv just been looking on youtube, and it doesn't seem to be there anyone know where i can find it? Were there even cameras there that day?

I remember Chico pulling Larssons dreads right in front of us that day, Larsson was not impressed! Sad to think it was nearly 20 years ago!
    My 21st birthday, what a present that was, a missed placed pass from Larsson on his debut, it worked out well for him in the end unfortunately not for us!

Does anyone remember who scored our 1st goal?

Quote Originally Posted by s2hart View Post
    My 21st birthday, what a present that was, a missed placed pass from Larsson on his debut, it worked out well for him in the end unfortunately not for us!

Stevie Crawford? Educated guess

Quote Originally Posted by s2hart View Post

Lee Power?

@hibs.net private member I'm_cabbaged's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post

Was it not Willie miller that pulled his hair right in front if the old north? He squealed like a bitch :)
    Might be wrong about miller, but he deffo gave a bitch squeal :)

I thought you were talking about the goal against Alloa with that headline as well, best goal I've ever seen live! Was Lee Power who scored the 1st goal against Celtic.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFamous1875 View Post
    The Larsson goal is shown in this video numerous times (along with some other great goals including Pat McGinley's half way yin! http://youtu.be/lXfHId42b8Y

Watching that video brings home to you why you'll always love this club! Even seen myself briefly in the crowd after Rougier scored against Motherwell

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Hibby View Post
    Should be in bed but just watched the entire video, can somebody let the current team watch this "no substitute for skill" "attacking football" "team spirit" and training down at Dunfermline collage if I'm not mistaken, most of that team would walk (or attack with pace) into today's team!!
    I would rather they didn't seeing as we got relegated that season.

Quote Originally Posted by HibsNZ View Post
    I thought you were talking about the goal against Alloa with that headline as well, best goal I've ever seen live! Was Lee Power who scored the 1st goal against Celtic.
    Charnley's goal from the halfway line was in the league cup and was never captured on video.

He scored a less spectacular goal against Celtic in the opening match after Lee Power's first.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFamous1875 View Post

My first game that one apparently. To young to remember it and i've always heard of this goal and it's annoyed me that I couldn't, thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Albert of Kidd View Post
    I would rather they didn't seeing as we got relegated that season.
    That's the scary part they got us relegated but would still probably be better that what we have just now

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Hibby View Post
    That's the scary part they got us relegated but would still probably be better that what we have just now
    Remember that Hibs were tup of the table in September and were scoring goals for fun.

The turning point came in the match against Rangers at Easter Road. Hibs were 3-1 up when Crawford missed a sitter to make it 4-1. Then the referee started giving free kicks to Rangers for virtually every tackle. With Albertz and Gascoigne in their side, Hibs stopped tackling for fear of conceding free kicks and Rangers ran riot winning 4-3.

The team fell apart after that match and had a dreadful run. Charnley was instrumental in the initial good form until he ran out of steam. The team had some decent players (Harper, Hughes, Crawford, McGinlay, Lavety, Rougier, etc) but had some rubbish as well (Power, Tosh, etc). They also had Duffy as manager. The team were dire until McLeish took over (too late to save them).

First Team Breakthrough Mathias Jack's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GazA1875
    Quote Originally Posted by RicheyWhite View Post
    Lee Power?

Here's the match report, found it on the Scotsman...

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/scotsm...ltic-1-1755150
    Last edited by Mathias Jack; 10-04-2014 at 09:32 AM.

Lee Power 100%

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    Remember that Hibs were tup of the table in September and were scoring goals for fun.

The turning point came in the match against Rangers at Easter Road. Hibs were 3-1 up when Crawford missed a sitter to make it 4-1. Then the referee started giving free kicks to Rangers for virtually every tackle. With Albertz and Gascoigne in their side, Hibs stopped tackling for fear of conceding free kicks and Rangers ran riot winning 4-3.

The team fell apart after that match and had a dreadful run. Charnley was instrumental in the initial good form until he ran out of steam. The team had some decent players (Harper, Hughes, Crawford, McGinlay, Lavety, Rougier, etc) but had some rubbish as well (Power, Tosh, etc). They also had Duffy as manager. The team were dire until McLeish took over (too late to save them).

http://www.statto.com/football/stats...ble/1997-09-13

My recollection exactly, although it wasn't a free kick but a (typical against us) wonder goal by Albertz that scunnered us in that game.

at about 4:55 here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfke1BSg4u4

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    That game was live on sky so must be about somewhere, most people will think of his halfway line goal with a title like that, there weren't cameras at that game, was actually in our half!

OK, you've got me, which Charnley goal ARE you meaning if it's not the half-way line effort?

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    OK, you've got me, which Charnley goal ARE you meaning if it's not the half-way line effort?
    Erm the halfway line one, i meant with a title like this thread has people will automatically think of that not his goal v Celtc

Think it was Jimmy Boco who missed the sitter right at the start of the 2nd half where curiously we were shooting up the slope, he cut in from the left and had a clear shot at goal but put it miles past the right hand post.

I seem to remember we were denied clear penalty at 3-1.
    The ref was the worst I have ever seen at ER.
    Years later he asked the sfa if he could referee at Ibrox for his last game as he was a big rangers fan.
    Bobby Tait????? Not certain about his name but his performance that day was unbelievable

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    Erm the halfway line one, i meant with a title like this thread has people will automatically think of that not his goal v Celtc

Thanks, I got confused with some of the replies, it seemed like some people were mentioning another match.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HIBERNIAN-0762 View Post
    Think it was Jimmy Boco who missed the sitter right at the start of the 2nd half where curiously we were shooting up the slope, he cut in from the left and had a clear shot at goal but put it miles past the right hand post.
    Yes your correct H0762 . If that had went in we could have took another 8 of them just like in 1941 . Which was/is the old Rangers record defeat .8-1

Ggtth

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    It's on the 'Goals and Glory' DVD.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Surely not? What? A referee shafting Hibs, when we are playing Rangers (as they were once known).

Dougie Bell

Does anyone remember Bell scoring, i think it was against Aberdeen when the ball came over from a corner and he hit it first time from just outside the box or is it something i imagined. i'd love to see that goal again.

Blog Entries

Unless you know Scottish football this sounds almost unbelievable but the ref actually started the move for Oldco's 2nd goal. As you say he awarded them a free kick for nothing then as the ball was rolling loose from the tackle the ref chased after it & passed it to an Oldco player. While the ball was still moving the player passed the ball on & without a Hibs player touching it they scored. I'm sure it's on video somewhere, almost makes CT look competent. IIRC Darren Dods hit bar in last seconds, again as you say we fell apart after that.