hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Jackie McNamara...

DUNDEE United boss Jackie McNamara has launched a stinging attack on Rod Petrie’s player recruitment tactics at former club Hibernian.
    McNamara said: “The club is becoming renowned for being stingy with wages and you get what you pay for. There is no lack of ambition within the supporters, but I believe there definitely is at board level.
    “I don’t blame Terry (Butcher) but he is in the firing line now, and he knows it.” (Herald)
    I agreed with everything he says...

But Former club?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs4thecup1988 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

But Former club?

It was jackie Mac Snr that gave the interview.... Scotsman demonstrating it's amazing journalism again !

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs4thecup1988 View Post

But Former club?
    Sniff sniff! Jackie McNamara snr. Smells like the usual uninformed msm bull****.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Is there anywhere you can get hold of wages paid by teams over the last couple of years? I'm sick of reading we don't pay enough money yet I don't beeline we pay less than the likes of Motherwell, Inverness and Dundee United.
    Personally I think we just buy ******.

Yeah I think you guys are right...

That is terrible journalism

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar
    Seems they've caught it now.

Jackie McNamara Sr: Hibs “get what they pay for”

FORMER Hibs star Jackie McNamara has launched a stinging attack on Rod Petrie’s player recruitment tactics at former club Hibernian.

I think it is the way things are done rather than the absolute amount he is talking about. There are so many intermediaries and not just agents that messages to players get mixed up. On individual players I imagine we have lost out Rooney etc because we have paid less than the other club. Overall the paybill will be bigger. We are just poor at getting who is really good and end up paying for makeweights. I would prefer to see one good-un rather than 2 poor-uns. Rooney hit the ground running. Out forwards seem to have trouble finding where the ground is let alone the goal. Two wages on one player - a difficult concept!

Quote Originally Posted by oregonhibby View Post
    I think it is the way things are done rather than the absolute amount he is talking about. There are so many intermediaries and not just agents that messages to players get mixed up. On individual players I imagine we have lost out Rooney etc because we have paid less than the other club. Overall the paybill will be bigger. We are just poor at getting who is really good and end up paying for makeweights. I would prefer to see one good-un rather than 2 poor-uns. Rooney hit the ground running. Out forwards seem to have trouble finding where the ground is let alone the goal. Two wages on one player - a difficult concept!

I've mentioned this on numerous threads, instead of getting 10 journeymen at £1.5k each, why do we never get 5 very decent players at £3k each, same amount of money but better quality players, you get what you pay for.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Kind of weakens the journalistic argument when they don't know which Jackie Mac they are dealing with!

Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    Kind of weakens the journalistic argument when they don't know which Jackie Mac they are dealing with!
    Whenever I hear Jackie Mac mentioned I automatically assume it's Jackie Mac senior. Guess it's an age thing.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1 View Post
    I've mentioned this on numerous threads, instead of getting 10 journeymen at £1.5k each, why do we never get 5 very decent players at £3k each, same amount of money but better quality players, you get what you pay for.
    Have we any proof this is whats happening, Petrie stood up and said there was no wage cap when asked at one of the AGM's? I mean if that was the case, why dont we have many more players than the other teams, most clubs have similar sized squads?

@hibs.net private member Lmc2105's Avatar
    He spoke on Central FM to Roughie On that football show, you could tell by his voice he was hurting deep down was very passionate in everything he said and he said he knows for a fact where the problem lies, was a really good interview not sure if they have a podcast or not

This is the approach I'd prefer. Have the young ones on small wages, the 'imports' on the big wages and have a higher quality of player all round.

I genuinely think that Petrie would be worried that the youngsters would be aggrieved that their older and more experienced teammates would be getting more money, and that in itself would cause us problems. How do you handle that, though? Maybe incentives such as appearance money/goal bonuses are too much of a risk for Petrie incase we're actually successful?

If that were the worry, then in my opinion it's the culture that would be the problem. The young players are getting a career, whereas the older players would be getting paid that bit extra to be here to make the youngsters better players. That's the culture I'd try and cultivate at my club. A core of reliable and experienced leaders to bring the team on. Think Gary Smith, think Beuzelin.

I genuinely think that Petrie is afraid to push the boat out incase the boat does reach it's destination. It's all good setting out in search of India, but getting there's a whole other task with risks and doubts aplenty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Have we any proof this is whats happening, Petrie stood up and said there was no wage cap when asked at one of the AGM's? I mean if that was the case, why dont we have many more players than the other teams, most clubs have similar sized squads?
    Not talking about wage caps G, it's just the standard of player we are attracting, far too many journeymen and not enough quality.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFamous1875 View Post
    This is the approach I'd prefer. Have the young ones on small wages, the 'imports' on the big wages and have a higher quality of player all round.

I genuinely think that Petrie would be worried that the youngsters would be aggrieved that their older and more experienced teammates would be getting more money, and that in itself would cause us problems. How do you handle that, though? Maybe incentives such as appearance money/goal bonuses are too much of a risk for Petrie incase we're actually successful?

If that were the worry, then in my opinion it's the culture that would be the problem. The young players are getting a career, whereas the older players would be getting paid that bit extra to be here to make the youngsters better players. That's the culture I'd try and cultivate at my club. A core of reliable and experienced leaders to bring the team on. Think Gary Smith, think Beuzelin.

I genuinely think that Petrie is afraid to push the boat out incase the boat does reach it's destination. It's all good setting out in search of India, but getting there's a whole other task with risks and doubts aplenty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    It didn't do the golden generation any harm having players like Sauzee. Latapy etc around when they were coming through and I'm pretty sure these guys weren't paid peanuts.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    The Herald did. The Scotsman didn't.

More quality, less quantity please Terry.

Much as fans like to think Petrie is stingy the facts don't bear this out. Our wage bill has constantly been the 4th highest along with aberdeen(before rangers imploded) so what rod has said is actually true. When you think how many players calderwood had you can see Petrie backed the manager. It's not how much we spend but who we spend it on and that surely is the choice of the manager. By all means blame Petrie for things he may have been at fault for but being stingy ain't one of them,much as a lot of fans want to believe this.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Jackie Mac was a hero of mine when I first started going to matches, but since he got emptied along with Duff Jimmy he's rarely had a good word to say abot the club (publicly in any case).

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Not talking about wage caps G, it's just the standard of player we are attracting, far too many journeymen and not enough quality.
    I know what you were meaning, i don't think it makes any sense though. Like you i'd prefer your scenario, but Aberdeen dont have 5 players on a big wage supplemented by kids from through the youth team and under 20s.

They brought in a few good professionals there's no doubt about that, and i agree we should be doing the same. Yet we brought in Collins, paid a fee and i'd imagine a high earner, maybe on a par with Rooney?

We brought in Thomson and Robertson, both good SPFL professionals, both on a par with Flood and Robson. In fact the folk who told us Thomson was a superb signing on here were numerous, signing him was a real coup.

Griffiths was brought in for a couple of seasons, he'd be on a decent wage. What i'm trying to say is i believe we have spent decent money, and have paid decent wages, but those players we have bought have not turned out as well as we'd hoped, and the kind of tactics they have been asked to play is also questionable.

And when you supplement it with additional crap like Nelson and McGivern and the likes, you end up with a poor team and a club in decline.

@hibs.net private member
    Believe me or not I couldn't care less because I know the truth. But remember Jermaine Renne the guy we were going to good in summer. Well we got out bided for him from burton Albion with wages. Hibs couldn't match it apparently.

It's the scouting policy that's been shocking for years, nothing to do with wages.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by carnoustiehibee View Post
    It's the scouting policy that's been shocking for years, nothing to do with wages.
    We got out bided from a crappy second third tier English club. YES it is.

We signed too many sh*t players, Pat for example liked to give employment to players/staff who were from the island of Ireland, not necessarily the best players available.
    One approach to assess how a clubs signing policy is working, is to look at the players that have left the club and what happened to them, off the top of my head there are not many who have left and moved up the ladder so to speak,Osbourne,Vaz Tê,Griffiths.
    For each of them, there must be about 50 Gary Deegan's or Shefki Kuqi's who are now playing in the lower leagues or called it a day after playing for us.
    I would also love to see a wage breakdown of all the spl teams, and see why we are punching below our weight but generating more income than the majority of other clubs.

I can only concur with what others have said, we need quality over quantity.
    Last edited by seanshow; 09-04-2014 at 10:25 AM.

First Team Breakthrough
    Journalists keep going on about this great Aberdeen side, hibs tried to sign Hayes, Robson, Flood and Rooney. We signed zilch, amazingly we offered Flood £800 a week in the summer. Petrie loosening the purse.

Quote Originally Posted by EdinAyr View Post
    We got out bided from a crappy second third tier English club. YES it is.
    how much did we miss out by? And how is he getting on in those ****ty lower leagues?

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Whenever I hear Jackie Mac mentioned I automatically assume it's Jackie Mac senior. Guess it's an age thing.
    I remember when he was a young Celtic starlet! Then he came to us. He seemed to age pretty quickly then!

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    Is there anywhere you can get hold of wages paid by teams over the last couple of years? I'm sick of reading we don't pay enough money yet I don't beeline we pay less than the likes of Motherwell, Inverness and Dundee United.
    Personally I think we just buy ******.
    Here is my thoughts on it Keith, the clubs above probably don't have as big a budget as Hibs, but the clubs above are not going through the amount of players that Hibs seem to go through each season, the clubs above are adding a couple of quality players to there squad each season and will be able to give the players a good wage p/w, where as Hibs seem to go through a new team each season, we are constantly paying players and managers off which comes from the budget and with the big squads we seem to accumulate means that we have to dilute wages to the players we sign, it was rumoured that the lad Doyle who was at Hibs was only on £750p/w basic, probably the main reason he left Hibs, we just don't pay big wages any more to players, 2k is probably our top wage nowadays, we really need to get away from signing 10 players a season or nothing will change at the club, time we started bringing just 3-4 quality signings each season paying them a good wage and hopefully add to the team some young lads that are coming through the youth system, that's the way it should be at Hibs and not signing 10 journeymen each season who don't give a F*** about the club because they may be on a poor wage(in football terms) at the club and don't care where the team finish in the league, sort of like what we have been seeing for the last few seasons.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    When did you start believing anything Petrie says.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Here is my thoughts on it Keith, the clubs above probably don't have as big a budget as Hibs, but the clubs above are not going through the amount of players that Hibs seem to go through each season, the clubs above are adding a couple of quality players to there squad each season and will be able to give the players a good wage p/w, where as Hibs seem to go through a new team each season, we are constantly paying players and managers off which comes from the budget and with the big squads we seem to accumulate means that we have to dilute wages to the players we sign, it was rumoured that the lad Doyle who was at Hibs was only on £750p/w basic, probably the main reason he left Hibs, we just don't pay big wages any more to players, 2k is probably our top wage nowadays, we really need to get away from signing 10 players a season or nothing will change at the club, time we started bringing just 3-4 quality signings each season paying them a good wage and hopefully add to the team some young lads that are coming through the youth system, that's the way it should be at Hibs and not signing 10 journeymen each season who don't give a F*** about the club because they may be on a poor wage(in football terms) at the club and don't care where the team finish in the league, sort of like what we have been seeing for the last few seasons.
    Motherwell and Aberdeen made big changes in the summer.
    I agree with your point though.
    More quality less quantity.