hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

Pat Fenlon not too happy in the Daily Record

2. Log in to remove the advert

zzz, Fenlon topic is so boring now IMO, everyone should move on, including him...

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    A DR 'journalist' complaining about lying. Bit like a Hearts apologist criticising foreigners for being dishonest.

So the only agenda for this article is driven by the fact that Pat didn't tell this egotistical hack that he was about to be unveiled as Hibs manager (understandable as they were probably in the last stages of negotiation) or that we were on the verge of signing Collins (again understandable as he wouldn't want his signing slipping away by the news appearing in the press) and he has held a grudge against him since then? Quality journalism then

Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARLEYS DUG View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    yes i agree, important that the papers are saying our players are poor also not just butcher,hope they read it and have a good think about where they are and buck their ideas up.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Pat Fenlon is right. We had started the season with our two most creative wide players missing (Harris and Cairney) and it was obvious why we struggled so much without them.

If we are suggesting that Butcher has got as much out of the players as Fenlon did, we are kidding ourselves on. Liam Craig at holding midfield and Lewis Stevenson as a left winger is evidence that Butcher had not used this squad to the best of it's abilities. He's brought in the boy Boateng, who doesn't even seem good enough to get near a first eleven place.

I'm not saying Fenlon is perfect or would have definately turned things around, but Butcher has not made things better. He has misused the squad.

It's good toget an insight into why the press gave it to him so tight though. He didn't slip them information or kiss the arse like others, so he gets a poor press. No doubt a lot of folk, including Hibs fans, are easily swayed enough to believe it.
    Last edited by 500miles; 05-04-2014 at 05:58 AM.

Sounds to me both are fairly bitter. No interest in either to be honest. Pat left us with this horrific bunch of no hopers and should be criticized.

And this journo has the hump because "he didn't tell the truth" shock horror coming from a journo at the Daily Record!

Testimonial Due bighairyfaeleith's Avatar
    Even by DR standards thats a fairly pathetic article. The journalist needs to grow up, complaining because Pat wouldn't speak to him before he got the hibs job. What right does he have to get the scoop, none. Pat is obviously still hurting about what happened at hibs but should just let whats written go over his head however for the journalist to try and take the hump over it is even more pathetic.

Hate the DR and this article helps to illustrate why no one should ever buy the piece of **** paper.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    What a terrible article. Talk about having a chip on your shoulder FFS. Why the **** should he have told some two bit 'journalist' that he was getting the Hibs job? A guy he had spoken to once? I've gone for interviews and not even told my best mates. I'm fairly sure Petrie would have wanted it kept quiet until it was all sorted. The guy is bitter because he missed out on a headline.

Bit low to translate a private conversation into a story in the paper as well. But hey, it is the Record. Absolute comic.

Following the reports in the media/press/DR this week bout the Yams I find it a bit hypocritical of the to use that word 'Lying' or words of a similar definition.

They have failed time and time again to show any transparency whilst reporting in that mob forgetting how they got in this position and what they did to do so.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The journo comes off worse in that article than PF.

Why the bloody hell should he tell him? A stranger phones you up and because you don't disclose details of a confidential business deal, your off on the 'wrong foot'. ********

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It does appear to be open season in the press on Hibs related people these days. Fenlon. O'Connor, Griffiths, Petrie, Butcher, unnamed fans alledgedly sending e-mail(as if), Tom English's weekly digs blah blah blah.

The press do seem to rather enjoy putting the boot in for some reason.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    But now Wee Pat wants everyone to go easy on him. He’s peeved at the fact Terry Butcher doesn’t appear to be getting as much stick as him.
    Incredibly, he told that Sunday Mail writer that it was because Butcher is a former captain of Rangers. Wow.
    Granted, Big Terry is courteous, welcoming and – when you ask him a question – he tells the truth. He even holds two press conferences a week at a sensible time.
    I'm glad we've got Big Terry now. Thanks, Daily Record. You are always right.
    Last edited by Elephant Stone; 05-04-2014 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    The journo comes off worse in that article than PF.

Why the bloody hell should he tell him? A stranger phones you up and because you don't disclose details of a confidential business deal, your off on the 'wrong foot'. ********
    Aye. He's in the middle of confidential negotiations and a hack calls him. He thinks best to say nothing, hack takes the hump.
    Hack can bugger off IMHO.

Blog Entries
    V*rm*n. Doesn't change my opinion of Fenlon's time at ER however.

Nothing of real substance in that article! Journo sounds vit a twit though! But it is the dr afterall

@hibs.net private member
    It's important for football managers to keep the press on side because when their team goes through a bad patch the press don't kick them. Wee Pat was awkward and the press went for him. How many on here complained we never seemed to get any good press coverage? Under TB we are playing crap but the press are going lightly on him because he's always got time for them. On the footballing side it was dire under PF, I've no doubt we would be in a lot worse position if he stayed. The article is right 5-1 and 9-0 will be his legacy at Hibs

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    It's important for football managers to keep the press on side because when their team goes through a bad patch the press don't kick them. Wee Pat was awkward and the press went for him. How many on here complained we never seemed to get any good press coverage? Under TB we are playing crap but the press are going lightly on him because he's always got time for them. On the footballing side it was dire under PF, I've no doubt we would be in a lot worse position if he stayed. The article is right 5-1 and 9-0 will be his legacy at Hibs
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Article says more about the writer than it does PF. And clearly an off the record conversation has a shelf life as far as the writer is concerned, given that he now writes about it - one decision PF got right.
    ​#PERSEVERED

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    I'd rather have a manager unliked by the Daily Record but winning 35% of his games and still in the Scottish Cup than a PR friendly manager winning 23%, out of the Scottish cup and trying to avoid relegation. Maybe I don't read enough Daily Record.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    It does appear to be open season in the press on Hibs related people these days. Fenlon. O'Connor, Griffiths, Petrie, Butcher, unnamed fans alledgedly sending e-mail(as if), Tom English's weekly digs blah blah blah.

The press do seem to rather enjoy putting the boot in for some reason.
    There is so little excitement around in Scottish football just now so our possible predicament of free falling into play offs and anything around hibs is fair game for press just now We have made ourselves sitting ducks .you don't see Petrie coming out to defend us he goes into hiding .

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    I'd rather have a manager unliked by the Daily Record but winning 35% of his games and still in the Scottish Cup than a PR friendly manager winning 23%, out of the Scottish cup and trying to avoid relegation. Maybe I don't read enough Daily Record.
    Stats speak for themselves To think we were second top at one point earlier in season .T B has dismantled this team too soon he should have waited till we were mathematically safe .Danny Handlings interview in Scotsman today oozes a lack of confidence and Pat Stanton is reflecting that players need to get finger out but doesn't see how things will change.That Elephant in the room just won't go away.

Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARLEYS DUG View Post
    Very un "PC" calling him "wee pat". Where's the size police?
    This journalist is more bitter than "smaller than average" Pat.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    This - while we will be lucky to get away from the playoff spot, I for one would like us to get a clean slate with the press, and terry seems to have a rapport.

As well as a performing team, we need feel good stories 'leaking' out, not negativity.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    Stats speak for themselves To think we were second top at one point earlier in season .T B has dismantled this team too soon he should have waited till we were mathematically safe .Danny Handlings interview in Scotsman today oozes a lack of confidence and Pat Stanton is reflecting that players need to get finger out but doesn't see how things will change.That Elephant in the room just won't go away.
    Were we second top at one point this season?

We started lose, lose, draw so I'm not so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    Lucky was referring to the press in general, not just the DR.
    PF and the board adopted a bunker mentality to the media leaving a vacuum to be filled. It was madness given that there are acres of free 'advertising' to be grabbed in the papers every day. If a club gives them what they want to get out there then it's odds on it will be printed as space has to be filled. Give them nothing then you have relinquished control and will just have to take what you get.
    Last edited by marinello59; 05-04-2014 at 08:46 AM.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Daily ****** having any attention from fans that are not ugly sisters fans? WTF? never read it, never will, not even when they bring out the Colin Calderwood - the Glory Years edition.

Wish Fenlon no ill but not that bothered about what he has to say now.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

You can tell by the "gurning" photo that accompanies the article that this is a DR hatchet job. Surprise, surprise, another DR "journalist" with an anti Hibs agenda.... I suppose Keith Jackshuns too busy on the radio nowadays to indulge that pet topic.

If a DR headline said the grass is green id want to go outside and check. I wonder how many Hibbies actually still buy / read this rag ? As others have said, this article says a lot more about the "journalist" and what constitutes "journalism" in this comic for grown ups.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    They should just let the man get on with his life. He got the job and didn't do particularly well, but I have no doubt that he gave it his best shot anyway.

It's hard to "move on" when bog tabloids are constantly taking a dig. Naturally you're going to say something to defend yourself at some point.

Left by mutual consent!
    0/10

Butcher may be getting an easy time. Good for him. But Hibs are getting ripped a new one on an almost daily basis, including this ***** article, which is simply about a so-called journo taking the huff and turning it into his contribution to the anti-Hibs "articles".