hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Outfield Players Ending up in Goal

Probably my favourite thing in football, although sadly a rarity these days thanks to the crazy loosening of the rules to allow a second keeper on the bench.

I think I remember Pat McGinley and Darren Jackson having to don the gloves back in the day. I can't remember if they were any good, though? Any recollections of outfield players making a contribution to the game once they ended up between the sticks?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Probably my favourite thing in football, although sadly a rarity these days thanks to the crazy loosening of the rules to allow a second keeper on the bench.

I think I remember Pat McGinley and Darren Jackson having to don the gloves back in the day. I can't remember if they were any good, though? Any recollections of outfield players making a contribution to the game once they ended up between the sticks?
    Darren Jackson was at Parkhead circa 1996, I think?

We were one up when Leighton went off injured, lost 2-1. My recollection is that Jackson made a few decent saves, but also fumbled a cross for one of the goals.

Braced and ready to be corrected.

EDIT: were we perhaps wearing the legendary green and purple stripes?

I vaguely remember Graham Mitchell playing in goals.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: stevenl049 PSN ID: stevenl049
    Bit off track a little but Warnock never named a sub keeper for Sheffield United when Jagielka played because he was so good in goal.

First Team Regular weedgiehibbie's Avatar
    I recall Andy Millen taking over the gloves from Leighton after he was sent off at Fir Park in a 1-1 draw i think and doing ok

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Peter Cormack was the man.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    I vaguely remember Graham Mitchell playing in goals.
    Against Dundee IIRC, big Reidy was taken off - could be way off the mark though.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: EdinburghHibee86
    Didn't Robbie winters have to go in goal during a final with Aberdeen v rangers. Sure Leighton got teeth smashed out early doors and the dons ended up getting beat 4-1 possibly wrong about the score.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by edinburghhibee View Post
    Didn't Robbie winters have to go in goal during a final with Aberdeen v rangers. Sure Leighton got teeth smashed out early doors and the dons ended up getting beat 4-1 possibly wrong about the score.
    Think it was 4-0, it was the year we lost to the Dons in the semi (my first trip to Hampden - damn you Andy Dow! ).

Quote Originally Posted by stevenhibs View Post
    Bit off track a little but Warnock never named a sub keeper for Sheffield United when Jagielka played because he was so good in goal.
    I remember that..

My son's team also do that with him - he's just turned 14. He's an incredible utility player tbh - having played in goal, upfront, all midfield positions, LB, RB, CH and is now is their first choice sweeper - where he's excelled. So, he's played every position - and every game this season - only one other boy in the team has done so.. They've romped their league - unbeaten all season. They give it their all every game .. take note Hibs players!! Mighty proud!

Few years ago now but I remember Vinnie "the cat" Jones ending up in goals for the crazy gang. Philip Albert scored I think, no idea of the score though.

Only time I remember is John Terry a few years ago. Wish this stuff happened more!

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Wilson - Willie carrierd off Cormac in goals18-8-1965.jpg

Directly above Tom McNiven's left shoulder is my head I'm standing in front of my Grandad (wearing his cap) and on his right, Tommy MacDonald, another auld Hibby

18-8-1965 Cormack in Goals.jpg

18-8-1965 St Mirren Cormack in goals ET.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by weedgiehibbie View Post
    I recall Andy Millen taking over the gloves from Leighton after he was sent off at Fir Park in a 1-1 draw i think and doing ok
    Remember that well.

Sure we were 1-0 up when Leighton was sent off and held out until about 10 minutes to go.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Willie miller went in goals in a night game against rangers at easter road after budgie was sent off for a foul outside the box. Free kick hits the wall, ref gives a pen for handball and willie has to face a penalty almost straight away. Think it finished 0-3.

Edit: having checked it was actually against airdrie and we lost 0-2 in April 92 with calum milne also sent off. Obviously getting mixed up between teams that went on to be liquidated
    Last edited by Mr White; 01-04-2014 at 07:28 AM.

Did Kano not have to go in goals at the Tennents sixes once or am I just being a slaver.

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenhibs View Post
    And he saved them against Arsenal at Brammal Lane, played pretty much most of the second half in goals when Paddy Kenny went off. Had a couple of unbelievable saves if I remember and United ended up winning 1-0 through a goal from Christian Nade!

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    It's also my favourite thing (closely followed by keepers coming up for corners). Shame it rarely happens now due to having so many subs. I also remember AM going in through at Motherwell in the 1-1 draw. He done well, nearly held out for a clean sheet. Think during the Mowbray years we might have had more joy some weeks with an outfield player in the sticks

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    IIRC Peter took over in an ESS game at Tynecastle (1968?) and performed magnificently in a 1-1 draw.

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    Wayne Rooney is meant to be a cracking Goalie as well. Think I read the same about john terry

Left by mutual consent!
    Willie Miller did pretty well against Airdrie IIRC, that was a horrendous game, Airdrie were their usual selves, niggly fouls, time wasting, intimidating officials etc. and the ref let them away with everything. The atmosphere was really poisonous, It felt like we were very close to fans going on the pitch and having a go at the officials.

I never could understand how they kept getting away with stuff that was so obvious

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by NadeAteMyLunch! View Post
    It's also my favourite thing (closely followed by keepers coming up for corners). Shame it rarely happens now due to having so many subs. I also remember AM going in through at Motherwell in the 1-1 draw. He done well, nearly held out for a clean sheet. Think during the Mowbray years we might have had more joy some weeks with an outfield player in the sticks
    The Sunderland keeper was in the hammers box twice last night. Never understood it myself. Why would you send up your goalie and leave two outfield players on the half way line??? Surely it's better to move the keeper to half way and send in your outfield players?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by edinburghhibee View Post
    The Sunderland keeper was in the hammers box twice last night. Never understood it myself. Why would you send up your goalie and leave two outfield players on the half way line??? Surely it's better to move the keeper to half way and send in your outfield players?!?!?
    Usually it is a scare tactic, if you see the opposing keeper in your box defenders don't know what to do. Another thing is height. Usually your keeper is taller than your regular midfielder...obviously OTJ is an exception

On the opposite tack
    Goalkeeper playing outfield after getting injured
    November 1950
    Hearts 4 V Partick Thistle 5
    "Their only win in that run being an extraordinary 5-4 defeat of Hearts after Thistle keeper Tommy Ledgerwood got injured, was then forced onto the wing and scored a goal."

Was a hero down Leith way for weeks !!

Quote Originally Posted by jdships View Post
    On the opposite tack
    Goalkeeper playing outfield after getting injured
    November 1950
    Hearts 4 V Partick Thistle 5
    "Their only win in that run being an extraordinary 5-4 defeat of Hearts after Thistle keeper Tommy Ledgerwood got injured, was then forced onto the wing and scored a goal."

Was a hero down Leith way for weeks !!
    Not quite the same but I remember David James playing up front for the last 5/10 minutes of a game a few seasons ago.

Wasn't forced, Stuart Pearce just said he thought the height and presence might cause the defence a few problems so gave it a go.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by hibs4thecup1988 View Post
    Usually it is a scare tactic, if you see the opposing keeper in your box defenders don't know what to do. Another thing is height. Usually your keeper is taller than your regular midfielder...obviously OTJ is an exception
    I see where your coming from to a point but would it not be better putting in an outfield player in the off chance that it drops to him and surely he has a better chance of scoring.

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Pretty sure I saw Dixie Deans, ex-Celtic go in goal for Luton Town against Notts County unless my memory is playings tricks.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    Remember hearts keeper getting sent off at ER and one of their outfield players saving the penalty. Think it was Brian Hamilton that blasted it straight down the middle and the "keeper" didn't move and turned it over the bar. Nightmare!

First Team Breakthrough Wighty76's Avatar
    Graham Roberts went in goal for rangers after chris woods was carded during the 2 all game. I mind him going upto the crowd behind his goal and pretending to be a conductor. 'Twas a nonsense game with too many drama queens.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Argylehibby View Post
    Remember hearts keeper getting sent off at ER and one of their outfield players saving the penalty. Think it was Brian Hamilton that blasted it straight down the middle and the "keeper" didn't move and turned it over the bar. Nightmare!
    I can remember Henry Smith saving one from Hamilton early on in a Derby at ER but not an outfield player.