hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Farmer/Fan Ownership

I rarely post on the forum as I enjoy reading and somebody usually makes the point i would anyway.

I'm of the personal opinion that Mr Farmer is the number one culprit for the ongoing situation at our club! Don't get me wrong Petrie is woeful and should be gone but he's only acting on instructions from our Teflon owner. The whole acceptance of the mediocre filters right through the club and if you shoot for the average you end up so much worse.

Sir Tom will always have our thanks but surely the time is now to hand over to someone with a bit drive and passion, who'd actually feel like they've been shot in the guts by a result like today's.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by NatureBoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I rarely post on the forum as I enjoy reading and somebody usually makes the point i would anyway.

I'm of the personal opinion that Mr Farmer is the number one culprit for the ongoing situation at our club! Don't get me wrong Petrie is woeful and should be gone but he's only acting on instructions from our Teflon owner. The whole acceptance of the mediocre filters right through the club and if you shoot for the average you end up so much worse.

Sir Tom will always have our thanks but surely the time is now to hand over to someone with a bit drive and passion, who'd actually feel like they've been shot in the guts by a result like today's.
    I agree with this 100%. The owner is the one who should be leading from the front and showing ambition and passion. STF is a great saviour but he does not have that ambition and passion for Hibs. Petrie is a just an employee and if he were to be hounded out, all we would get is another Petrie type employed by Farmer. However, it's easy saying we need another owner but it won't be very easy getting one. I fear more and more years of mediocre pish. Mind you mediocre actually would be a step up right now. Sad times

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Oh but he saved us, all hail sir Tom.

I'm not unsympathetic to your point, but there aren't that many Hibs minded millionaires who might be persuaded to put a bucket load of cash into the club, and it's not as if we'd be seen as a good financial investment by an outsider.

What we do need in the lack of any new money is a load of new ideas. What they may be I've no idea.

Don't waste your time mate, honestly.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Oh but he saved us, all hail sir Tom.
    But he did.

Quote Originally Posted by dave62 View Post
    I'm not unsympathetic to your point, but there aren't that many Hibs minded millionaires who might be persuaded to put a bucket load of cash into the club, and it's not as if we'd be seen as a good financial investment by an outsider.

What we do need in the lack of any new money is a load of new ideas. What they may be I've no idea.
    I'm certainly no expert and don't have the answers but would like to see STF actively try to sell the club. He's never made a real effort to punt it, so we never know who might bite. We're in great nick off the park so may be an attractive proposition to some. I know I'm not the only one who can't take much more of the same.

I'm certainly no expert and don't have the answers but would like to see STF actively try to sell the club. He's never made a real effort to punt it, so we never know who might bite. We're in great nick off the park so may be an attractive proposition to some. I know I'm not the only one who can't take much more of the same.
    It's common knowledge that Hibs is for sale to the right person and whilst Tom Farmer's attitude of only selling to the right person keeps the likes of Romanov from sniffing around us, I agree that maybe being a bit more aggressive regarding looking for a new buyer may pay dividends.

It's common knowledge that Hibs is for sale to the right person and whilst Tom Farmer's attitude of only selling to the right person keeps the likes of Romanov from sniffing around us, I agree that maybe being a bit more aggressive regarding looking for a new buyer may pay dividends.
    That's the thing it's not common knowledge though. If I want my house sold I don't whisper it to a neighbour and say I'll only sell to some nice bloke. I put it on the market and get the best for myself.

Of course he won't sell to a madman but I still believe if formally put up for sale he will get a buyer. Everything that's needed at a club is there they have taken hibs as far as they can.

Testimonial Due
    Who?

You don't know? Exactly.

At the very very least Farmer should be telling us what his plans are for our club. At the moment we hear nothing except for the jangling of collecting tins when our season tickets are due for renewal.

We need to know what his strategy and objectives are. Are plans already in place for a smooth handover to potential buyers who have Hibs at heart?

The time for this ongoing silence is well and truly at an end.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    That's the thing it's not common knowledge though. If I want my house sold I don't whisper it to a neighbour and say I'll only sell to some nice bloke. I put it on the market and get the best for myself.

Of course he won't sell to a madman but I still believe if formally put up for sale he will get a buyer. Everything that's needed at a club is there they have taken hibs as far as they can.
    I am coming round to your last point and wonder how actively he has sought a buyer .What I can't understand is why can't he attract someone else with investment even if in short term he stays on board and continues to get rental income and underpin the stability he has given us .He seems more interested in the community side of things which is fine ,we want to retain our heritage and Leith identity but it's not taking us forwards

johnbc70
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Pans Hibby View Post
    At the very very least Farmer should be telling us what his plans are for our club. At the moment we hear nothing except for the jangling of collecting tins when our season tickets are due for renewal.

We need to know what his strategy and objectives are. Are plans already in place for a smooth handover to potential buyers who have Hibs at heart?

The time for this ongoing silence is well and truly at an end.
    Agree with this but was it not the same in May 12. 2 years down the road and what has changed? Did he say anything after that game, or the Malmo game or the pathetic defeat to Raith in the cup. He won't say a thing he never does.

Under the current ownership the objective is only survival. There is no pressure from Sir Tom to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post

It's common knowledge amongst Hibs supporters that we are for sale so I agree that Farmer and/or the board should be more proactive in looking for a new owner. They should say that whilst they will protect us from being taken over by some idiot, they have taken the club as far as they can and it's time for an injection of fresh ideas and money.

My gratitude to Tom Farmer for saving our club knows no bounds, but I'd love him even more if he admitted that it's time for him to sell up to someone who can take us to the next level.

Arrow

[QUOTE=SunshineOnLeith;3948732]Who?

You don't know?

Of course I don't know as sadly I don't have a crystal ball. It is my firm belief however if STF took a more aggressive approach in selling the club there would be numerous interested parties.
    We are a capital city club with all the foundations in place, are you honestly telling me nobody would show a blind bit interest?

Quote Originally Posted by smurf View Post
    Under the current ownership the objective is only survival. There is no pressure from Sir Tom to be successful.
    This is the problem but until things change we will always be under achievers bar the odd season when we get a decent group of players. Of course they would be quckly be sold with the revenue invested anywhere bar the team.

I don't know how we change this?

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, really sounds like you're grateful to Farmer.

I posted on this subject on another thread and have done a number of times recently.

Its time for Tom Farmer to get involved or sell the club. I don't believe for a second that a man with his contacts couldn't have found a buyer by now for something he doesn't want.

The question is no longer can Hibs survive without Farmer? The question is ........ how the hell can we ever be a success with him as owner?

He is obviously happy to settle for mediocrity and failure. That's not what I fork out hundreds of pounds every year for.

As I said on the other thread ............. I want him to come out and bloody well say something .... his silence is an insult to Hibs fans everywhere ..... perhaps he thinks he is too good to get into it with the plebs.

Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post
    Why the sarcy comment? The guy sounds genuine to me and I find it hard to diagree with anything he says.

Tom Farmer saved the club over twenty years ago, and Hibs supporters are grateful for that. A lot of Hibs supporters think the club has now stagnated and needs a new owner and a new direction. I don't see the two views as contradictory.

I'm entitled to my opinion, I am actually grateful to Farmer but what he done was a long time ago. Things move on especially in football and if you don't have the ability to evolve things never get better.

Churchill was a Great War leader who people will always be eternally grateful to. It never made him a great peace time leader though hence him losing the general election.

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    Why the sarcy comment? The guy sounds genuine to me and I find it hard to diagree with anything he says.

Tom Farmer saved the club over twenty years ago, and Hibs supporters are grateful for that. A lot of Hibs supporters think the club has now stagnated and needs a new owner and a new direction. I don't see the two views as contradictory.
    Spot on. Everyone is grateful to STF but after 20 odd years it's pretty obvious that footballing success isn't part of his remit.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post

I think the post could have been more respectful, or do without saying he was grateful.

He gave Farmer a good kicking in his post, using emotive remarks like "Teflon Owner" and then comes out with insincere **** at the end.

I agree that Hibs can't go on like this.

Sorry FR but that's getting a bit old mate.

Every Hibs fan is well aware of what STF did for us. But, the club is fast becoming a joke under his tenure. The mans inactivity is ****ting on his own legacy .......... The line between legend and bellend aint a fine one, but eventually it does get crossed.

Blog Entries
    I'm entitled to my opinion, I am actually grateful to Farmer but what he done was a long time ago. Things move on especially in football and if you don't have the ability to evolve things never get better.

Churchill was a Great War leader who people will always be eternally grateful to. It never made him a great peace time leader though hence him losing the general election.
    Very good points. I don't think Farmer is standing in anybody's way.

I heard many moons ago about the Barclay brothers that wanted to buy us but farmer refused. They own one of the newspapers? I might be totally wrong so somebody may have to set me right?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolm-bogie View Post
    But he did.
    brilliant what a great job

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ionahibby View Post
    I heard many moons ago about the Barclay brothers that wanted to buy us but farmer refused. They own one of the newspapers? I might be totally wrong so somebody may have to set me right?
    You want the Barclay Brothers to own Hibs?

You want the Barclay Brothers to own Hibs?
    I'd take the chuckle brother right now !.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greenpaper55 View Post
    I'd take the chuckle brother right now !.
    Or The Funk Soul Brother?