hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    @hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Maybe the yams should try to sign him. They need someone who can make a stand.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Does this mean we'll get some BAG's to go with the WAG's?

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some of the replies on this thread are an embarrassment.
    Indeed. And yet people wonder why such a big deal is made of it.

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    I couldn't be gay.

Couldn't handle being turned down by men as well as women.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I know a fair few guy people and I spend quite a lot of time with them. As with anyone else, there are those I would consider to be my friends and there are others that I'm not fussed for. I'll often crack gay jokes whether or not I'm in their company, but I can assure you that their's are often more 'offensive' than mine.

I'm certain that many on here say things among their real world friends that they would never set in writing on here - this is certainly the case with me. If that's hypocritical then so be it, however I wouldn't take kindly to being classed a homophobe or a dinosaur if I did post some un-pc comment regarding gays on here. I am neither.

I am regularly faced with jokes about my nationality, my height, my accent, you name it. Are my friends racist, heightist or whatever? No, their simply my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    With a username like that, I'm sure you can work which ones he's talking about by yourself.
    My user name is a joke about myself.
    However I do have the ability to write a sentence without missing out.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAsHellas View Post
    Does this mean we'll get some BAG's to go with the WAG's?
    Suerly has to be HAB's - Husbands and Boyfriends?!

I believe the player in question is going to claim that he isn't actually Gay but he reckons his Boyfriend might be.

Oh brilliant. Three pages in and we get the first comment about 'political correctness'. Add in a some of my friends are gay, stir on the word 'gays' as a descriptive term and there we have it; a redundant debate.

Can this thread be closed now? It's going to go nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester B View Post
    Oh brilliant. Three pages in and we get the first comment about 'political correctness'. Add in a some of my friends are gay, stir on the word 'gays' as a descriptive term and there we have it; a redundant debate.

It has ..the dug out ..

So you would deny me the right to my opinion? It's okay for people to shout down those making jokes but it doesn't work both ways? Dearie me! I agree, close the thread before you post more crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    So you would deny me the right to my opinion? It's okay for people to shout down those making jokes but it doesn't work both ways? Dearie me! I agree, close the thread before you post more crap.
    I don't there's any need for that do you? I disagree with what you wrote. More than happy to debate in a reasonable fashion. Not resort to minor swear words.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Who in the EPL supports Hibs?

I don't there's any need for that do you? I disagree with what you wrote. More than happy to debate in a reasonable fashion. Not resort to minor swear words.
    What's there to disagree with? I'm honestly interested.

Left by mutual consent!
    people on this thread wondering why it matters. Then cracking hilarious bum jokes ffs.
    Well said.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    the big issue with gay footballers is the culture of footballers themselves. Let's face it, footballers get dogs abuse from opposing fans (and quite often their own supporters) no matter what sexuality they are. They are used to being abused from the terraces and it eventually becomes water off a ducks back (although I honestly believe one of the reasons that some players don't make it, is because they don't have the capacity to shrug off the abuse they get when they have a bad game and let it effect their confidence). However the way they are treated by their team-mates and peers is another matter entirely. Telling a bunch of undereducated, overpaid, sexist footballers that you are gay is the problem. There is a very real threat of being bullied and shunned by dressing room culture and also the worry that managers won't want to sign a gay player, either because of their own prejudice or the worry that it might undermine the dressing room moral.

The big problem for gay footballers is other footballers…not the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    What's there to disagree with? I'm honestly interested.
    Peevemor: Firstly my sincere apologies for the post you described as crap. Probably somewhat knee jerk in retrospect by me which is the sort of thing we are both against it seems I hope. I do know what you mean about a certain amount of banter between gay and straight mates. There are some friends you can make certain jokes with and some of the humour of some guys of my acquaintance can be near the knuckle but as you say, as long as both sides are cool with it no problem. A particular gay friend of mine however did tell me that after one night of comments he was seriously offended by a couple of things one of us said; comments weren't in malice or to cause offence but for some people they find it hard after years of neanderthal comments from others to always pass it off as such. We thought all was fair game but sometimes it's more complicated than that. I don't think there is such a thing as PC or non-PC just respect for the individual and their own feelings. A poor but Hibs example is a Jambo mate of mine. If he moans about how bad his team is I sympathise (or try to - it ain't easy) but the first mention of 1902 or 5-1 and he gets it both barrels from me.

I do think that some of the joke names were abysmal on this thread. Equally importantly I didn't find them funny. I don't post often on here but will think twice before doing a reactionary post like that one again.

LB

@hibs.net private member Sudds_1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    There are many gay players in our game and it's sad they can't come out. I know of one and sure it will come out eventually. Not a high profile player as such but played in the EPL now plays in the championship.

A lot of players know about it and like most descent people have no issue.
    I've never understood why a person's sexuality should condition, in some people's minds, their social status or the regard thy should be held in........

.......same for skin colour...............wouldn't it be hilarious if God was a gay negro,,,,,,,,,,,
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I wonder if it's possible that this could be the turning point for gay footballers? Sadly I think not, ridicule and abuse await the guy in football stadiums across the country not to mention social media sites, football forums and the gutter tabloid press.

Peevemor: Firstly my sincere apologies for the post you described as crap. Probably somewhat knee jerk in retrospect by me which is the sort of thing we are both against it seems I hope. I do know what you mean about a certain amount of banter between gay and straight mates. There are some friends you can make certain jokes with and some of the humour of some guys of my acquaintance can be near the knuckle but as you say, as long as both sides are cool with it no problem. A particular gay friend of mine however did tell me that after one night of comments he was seriously offended by a couple of things one of us said; comments weren't in malice or to cause offence but for some people they find it hard after years of neanderthal comments from others to always pass it off as such. We thought all was fair game but sometimes it's more complicated than that. I don't think there is such a thing as PC or non-PC just respect for the individual and their own feelings. A poor but Hibs example is a Jambo mate of mine. If he moans about how bad his team is I sympathise (or try to - it ain't easy) but the first mention of 1902 or 5-1 and he gets it both barrels from me.

I do think that some of the joke names were abysmal on this thread. Equally importantly I didn't find them funny. I don't post often on here but will think twice before doing a reactionary post like that one again.

LB
    Apology accepted, even if it wasn't required - my reaction was as jerky kneed as your own. I honestly don't care who's gay - as long as he doesn't play for Hibs (he said in a gruff, booming voice), I'm simply surprised by some of the reactions on here, a male dominated football fans' forum. OK, it's no longer the 70s, but I'm fairly certain people will be making similar crap jokes come 2050.

And my main point was about those without sin casting the first stone....

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    So this person is Defoe, Sterling and Henderson.

So much pish in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudds_1 View Post
    I've never understood why a person's sexuality should condition, in some people's minds, their social status or the regard thy should be held in........

.......same for skin colour...............wouldn't it be hilarious if God was a gay negro,,,,,,,,,,,
    Who??????

A Ugandan one of course :-)

Nonsense rumour spread by attention seeking erse, no truth in it.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    I work in an environment where at least 99% of my colleagues are gay. Many of them are real good blokes that I share a lot in common with but a few are absolute dickheads. In other words they're no different to any other fringe group in our society.

Get over it people!

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    I wonder if it's possible that this could be the turning point for gay footballers? Sadly I think not, ridicule and abuse await the guy in football stadiums across the country not to mention social media sites, football forums and the gutter tabloid press.
    Your right he will be ridiculed at stadiums all over the country, but it will be by an increasingly small minority of idiots. The more sportsman who come out as being gay the more normal it will become and will be less of an issue.

The Sun has moved to deny rumours it is about to reveal the first English international gay footballer. Personally, I think it's disgusting that in the 21st century homosexuals still don't feel comfortable enough to come out and admit that they play for England...

If he ever existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiberlin View Post
    I work in an environment where at least 99% of my colleagues are gay. Many of them are real good blokes that I share a lot in common with but a few are absolute dickheads. In other words they're no different to any other fringe group in our society.

Get over it people!
    At least 99%, really?

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    At least 99%, really?
    Meant to tip 90% but my sausage fingers failed me again.

And yes really 90%!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiberlin View Post
    I work in an environment where at least 99% of my colleagues are gay
    Supermarket Sweep cameraman IMO.