hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

Was Mowbrays era one of your favourite times being a Hibs supporter?

As it says on the tin, was it for you, if so, why? For me, dedinitely. Some of the young talent we had and attacking football we played was outstanding. Stadium sold out just about every week, playing good consistantly every week. The football we played then compared to now is night and day! Ah, I miss they days... Good times, good times
    Last edited by BOB MARLEYS DUG; 03-03-2014 at 04:38 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

My best experience was 18th March 2007 when John Collins was in charge but undoubtedly our best period since I have been going to see Hibs was under Mowbray.

Yep.

The football was good but for me it was a big adventure supporting Hibs then. A group of 4 of us travelled home and away from Aberdeen almost every week. Usually using public transport and generally consuming copious amounts of alcohol.

Of that group I'm the only one who attends regularly despite 3 of us living far closer to home these days. The other lives in London so he has an excuse.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    I hated us going into div 1 but had some cracking away days, and got to see guys like sauzee and latapy play

No.for me it was the early eighties.Even though we were pretty rotten it was when i started going to games every week.
    counting the days till the next Hibs game.I remember we had to beat Dumbarton to stave off relegation and we took a big crowd to boghead (remember that place?).Games like that i'll never forgot, probably because i was a young lad then.When your older you tend to just moan and pick at little things to moan about,and i certainly don't count the days till the next hibs game anymore.
    Nowadays it's more like oh no there's a Hibs game soon.

Mowbrays era was good . But for me we were better under McLeish . Loved the football we played . 352 formation was super attacking and not played more exciting since imo . Just a pity it didnt last longer and rangers stole the big ginge . Luna , zittelli , sauzee , latapy , laursen , jack , mixu , yogi , and all our youngsters coming through , was exciting times . Season where we finished third was excellent a lot of really memorable games . Defo my fave era .

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Without a doubt. We were inconsistant but some of the football we played was outstanding. I remember standing ovations during games! The feel good factor at Hibs at that time was something else. The "upward spiral" as Mowbray called it. In those days, when we played the Old Firm i EXPECTED us to win and that says it all. I remember us playing both of them off the pitch at times. My best time watching Hibs by far.
    Last edited by GlenrothesHibee; 03-03-2014 at 04:51 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    After the 70s , its was one of my high points.... We had better players under McLeish , but we bossed some games under Mowbray in a way I hadn't seen since Turnbull's days. I recall games against Celtic and Rangers at home in the same season, with Thomson and Brown in our engine room, where we played them both of the park. I hadn't seen us do that for many years (nor since!)

I loved it. Going to games expecting to win, Tannadice Pittodrie etc held no fears for us then.
    I think it's easy to get nostalgic when things are as poor as they are now and I remember it wasn't always a bed of roses on here. We were a bit hit and miss in the derbies, sometimes very poor defensively and don't get me started on some of the goalkeeping! There was also a grim inevitability that we'd lose all our good players eventually.
    That said, one of the most telling moments of the Mowbray era was when he came out with his "if we keep playing like that then we'll win more than we lose" I think after we'd chucked a big lead at home to Dundee. He was pilloried for it but was imo absolutely spot on and it feels like a long time since I enjoyed the football as much as I did back then.

Clocked up some big wins during that period.

9-0 v Montrose
    7-0 v livi (featuring snodgrass iirc)

Generally went out to score goals and worry about conceding later. Backfired spectacularly at times (4-4 v Dundee after being 4-1 up for example!)

Loved it!

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    I was never Mogga fan. I thought he hit it lucky with the golden generation.
    He did a few things that riled me.
    Last edited by snooky; 03-03-2014 at 05:12 PM.

Yes. The feelgood factor watching that team and racing along to the stadium every week was immense.

I miss that feeling of walking to Easter Road and expecting to win.

(This thread will rightly stay positive but it really brings on anger about how shockingly the money banked from that team has been mismanaged over the last few years)
    Last edited by Bobby's Cinema; 03-03-2014 at 05:08 PM.

Not a real surprise the best team in the last 10 years has been a team that played the correct way with short sharp passing. All this be hard to be **** doesn't do it for me. Yes back then we would be frustrating as we might be inconsistent and make a couple of mistakes....but that's nothing compared to watching sh*** every week for the past however many seasons.

Fans are always far more understanding when they see the players trying to play, when the get frustrated when you get players hiding, hoofing it up the park it's understandable.

You want to enjoy football, of late that's not been the case

Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARLEYS DUG View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As it says on the tin, was it for you, if so, why? For me, dedinitely. Some of the young talent we had and attacking football we played was outstanding. Stadium sold out just about every week, playing good consistantly every week. Ah, I miss they days... Good times, good times
    Having never been at a match during Mowbray's time at Hibs, I obviously missed a treat, however, I doubt it will rank highest for those of my era for the following reasons:

1 - Season 1960-61 - beating Bayern Munich 3-2 away in pre-season followed by beating them 3-0 at ER in November , then Joe Baker hitting 9 in a 15-0 SC win against Peebles Rovers and 2 weeks later beating Barcelona 3-2 at ER then losing out to AS Roma in another European semi which we would have won under the away goals rule

2- Season 1964-65 - having narrowly avoided relegation under Walter Galbraith the previous season, Hibs were on for the League/Scottish Cup double under Jock Stein until he deserted us in April 1965 to join Celtc. We beat Real Madrid 2-0 on Wednesday night, 7th October then beat Rankers at Ibrox 4-2 on the following Saturday IIRC we beat Rankers 3 times that season

3 - 1965-66 scoring 20 goals between 18th and 25th September from a 4-0 win against Hearts then 11 goals against Alloa followed by 5 against Falkirk then 5 weeks later taking another 11 off Hamilton

4 - the Bob Shankley mid/late 60's with players like Stanton, McNamee, Madsen, Cormack, Jim Scott, Stein, Marinello, Quinn, Stevenson etc

5 - Willie MacFarlane's team which had the basis of the Tornadoes Team

6 - Tornadoes - nuff said!

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    After the 70s , its was one of my high points.... We had better players under McLeish , but we bossed some games under Mowbray in a way I hadn't seen since Turnbull's days. I recall games against Celtic and Rangers at home in the same season, with Thomson and Brown in our engine room, where we played them both of the park. I hadn't seen us do that for many years (nor since!)
    I have to agree with this post.

I grew up with Turnbulls Tornadoes and relished every game they played. The football was out of this world with everyone of them playing as a team should. Pure football in motion with Stanton leading the way!!!

The McLeish era in the old first division was amazing and some of the football then reminded me of the 70's era. The players brought in by McLeish were top class though some unheard of. But football they played and played well!

Mowbray inherited a bunch of raw kids who could play football and blended them in to an exciting young footballing team whose energy and talent enthralled the crowds home and away. As usual they were sold to the old firm and we had to start again.

The inbetween years we have had our ups and downs and won the league cup again in 2007. It should surely be time for the Hibs to rise again and show the skill and team work we supporters relish.

Meantime memories and hope keep us going!!!

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Without a doubt. Crowds were up, the place was buzzing, you were guaranteed goals and entertainment. Just a great time, proper excited all week at the prospect of getting along to Easter Road.

Night and day compared to rattling about in a big empty stadium watching the dross we've endured for the last five years.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Quote Originally Posted by hibbybrian View Post
    Having never been at a match during Mowbray's time at Hibs, I obviously missed a treat, however, I doubt it will rank highest for those of my era for the following reasons:

1 - Season 1960-61 - beating Bayern Munich 3-2 away in pre-season followed by beating them 3-0 at ER in November , then Joe Baker hitting 9 in a 15-0 SC win against Peebles Rovers and 2 weeks later beating Barcelona 3-2 at ER then losing out to AS Roma in another European semi which we would have won under the away goals rule

2- Season 1964-65 - having narrowly avoided relegation under Walter Galbraith the previous season, Hibs were on for the League/Scottish Cup double under Jock Stein until he deserted us in April 1965 to join Celtc. We beat Real Madrid 2-0 on Wednesday night, 7th October then beat Rankers at Ibrox 4-2 on the following Saturday IIRC we beat Rankers 3 times that season

3 - 1965-66 scoring 20 goals between 18th and 25th September from a 4-0 win against Hearts then 11 goals against Alloa followed by 5 against Falkirk then 5 weeks later taking another 11 off Hamilton

4 - the Bob Shankley mid/late 60's with players like Stanton, McNamee, Madsen, Cormack, Jim Scott, Stein, Marinello, Quinn, Stevenson etc

5 - Willie MacFarlane's team which had the basis of the Tornadoes Team

6 - Tornadoes - nuff said!
    My first game Brian was that Hamilton one and no I didn't think it would be the same every week, I thought we might get a clean sheet now and again

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    I was never Mogga fan. I thought he hit it lucky with the golden generation.
    He did a few things that riled me.
    I don't buy into the theory that Mowbray got lucky with the young players we had; that was the reason he applied for the job imo. he knew full well the potential in the players that john park had brought through and he managed to develop them into a decent team pretty much straight away with some additions and moving some players on. Having said that he's been found out to be a pretty limited manager since and I didn't want him back last year as there's no way he would have recreated what we had 10 years ago.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    I prefered the Duffy, Williamson, Mixu, Yogi, Calderwood and Fenlon eras myself.

It's so hard to choose with such a long line of successful appointments.

@hibs.net private member
    Much preferred the Sauzee/Latapy days. That team was better than Mowbrays team.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by South Sub View Post
    I don't buy into the theory that Mowbray got lucky with the young players we had; that was the reason he applied for the job imo. he knew full well the potential in the players that john park had brought through and he managed to develop them into a decent team pretty much straight away with some additions and moving some players on. Having said that he's been found out to be a pretty limited manager since and I didn't want him back last year as there's no way he would have recreated what we had 10 years ago.
    Where is Park now?

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    Much preferred the Sauzee/Latapy days. That team was better than Mowbrays team.
    Indeed they were, but it was also at a steep price as well. The Mowbray team has been the best "within budget" team, for a few decades.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Definitely, even when we drew or lost it was usually exciting. Think one of the best games was a draw actually, may have been against Dundee.

Where is Park now?
    Celtic I think but as worldwide scout rather than youth development.

Promising Youngster
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: NotoriousLor
    Where is Park now?
    Is he not at celic?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by South Sub View Post
    Celtic I think but as worldwide scout rather than youth development.
    Cheers. Why did he leave hibs?

Where is Park now?
    Went to Celtic iirc

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousLor View Post
    Is he not at celic?
    Ah, cheers

Cheers. Why did he leave hibs?
    Dunno. Cash probably.

Quote Originally Posted by hibeemikey21 View Post
    Clocked up some big wins during that period.

9-0 v Montrose
    7-0 v livi (featuring snodgrass iirc)

Generally went out to score goals and worry about conceding later. Backfired spectacularly at times (4-4 v Dundee after being 4-1 up for example!)

Loved it!
    If only the fifth goal (Riordan stunner) had stood - such a fragile lead at 4-1! Also Snodgrass loved the fake tan in those days!

I would say the Mowbray era has to be one of the best (between that and McLeish in the time I've been watching), although as has been said, McLeish's team were pretty solid defensively as well as being good in an attacking sense. I've come to the definite conclusion that I can't decide between them.