hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NHC crowd at Perth

1892, according to the BBC - how can St Johnstone survive on crowds of this size - perhaps they should adopt same counters at they do at Tynie.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    That's poor. Saints are a decent team to watch as well. Dunno what the answer is for them

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maturehibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1892, according to the BBC - how can St Johnstone survive on crowds of this size - perhaps they should adopt same counters at they do at Tynie.
    Poor. Like all other Scottish towns, Perth is full of Newco/Celtc fans and Motherwell will have a small travelling support. Given so much negativity towards Scottish football by Scottish football fans and others it's a wonder anyone turns up. Well done to the 1892 though.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    Poor. Like all other Scottish towns, Perth is full of Newco/Celtc fans and Motherwell will have a small travelling support. Given so much negativity towards Scottish football by Scottish football fans and others it's a wonder anyone turns up. Well done to the 1892 though.
    They'll offer the argument that in percentage terms of the population, they get a bigger crowd than a lot of teams.

@hibs.net private member
    They also offer brilliant family deals so that would eat into revenue too

Quote Originally Posted by maturehibby View Post
    In general some clubs seem to be getting lower crowds this season so that will be a concern for a few chairmen for next season as the product on the park won't be any better as poorer crowds less transfer budget .unless you cheat of course But wait a minute all those teams will be in the lower league next season but probably getting bigger home crowds than most teams in the bottom six of the Top league .

That's awful - our game is wrecked (besides that Perth's a dying city. No sure why anyone would want to go there personally).

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I'm surprised at how low that crowd was.

I was sure the SPFL's plan to increase crowds by scheduling games on the same night as Man United's Champions League game was live on TV would have worked a treat
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Walkups spent their money on the rugby?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I'm surprised at how low that crowd was.

I was sure the SPFL's plan to increase crowds by scheduling games on the same night as Man United's Champions League game was live on TV would have worked a treat
    Maybe they looked at the form earlier in the season and presumed Man Utd would be out of the Champions League by now

Blog Entries
    Slightly off topic, but I glanced at a pre-match article ( Scotsman, I think) where McColl was saying he was'nt concerned about the race for second place as he would settle for third and a European place. What sort of message was that to send out to his players and fans and also to St Johnstone as well.?

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    They've pretty much always had awful crowds. They were propped up prev by Geoff Brown and they benefited greatly when they ended up with a free state of the art stadium thanks to Asda and a local farmer.

All that gave the illusion that they are a bigger club than they are.

The truth is they are probably about the same size as the likes of Morton or Airdrie

@hibs.net private member
    Why play a game on CL night which is live on TV. Generally Scottish football is dying and is far to expensive. We will be lucky to get 8500 on Friday night. Whilst we have all rejoiced at the demise of Rangers and the yams it is having an effect on the game

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Why play a game on CL night which is live on TV. Generally Scottish football is dying and is far to expensive. We will be lucky to get 8500 on Friday night. Whilst we have all rejoiced at the demise of Rangers and the yams it is having an effect on the game
    So if Rangers were in the SPL and Hearts were flying high, we'd get more than 8500 on Friday

The games been dying for years. And it was happening when Huns and mini huns were splurging the cash they never had.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    I am happy to see justice given out to the 2 teams mentioned, to not act would of had a greater effect on our league as we must look at sustainability, integrity, honesty and have the courage to act.

attendances across lots of clubs are affected for many various reasons, lets ensure we keep supporting the hibs..

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    St Johnstone in low crowd shocker. I think all this proves is that a couple of decent season have them thinking they are a bigger club than they are.

I don't think I have ever seen the home end at Mcdirmid Park anything like full, going back 10-15 years.

***** crowds at clubs like Inverness and Motherwell who are doing really well is much more conclusive proof that the appetite for the game in Scotland is dying off.

Around 18,000 at the Aberdeen game last night, which is pretty good considering the CL fitbaw on the tele last night.

Perth isn't a vastly populated area but that is an abysmal support.

St Johnstone have been punching above their weight for years though, clubs in the first division like Dundee and Falkirk are much bigger.

The biggest problem isn't folk supporting Sevco or Celtc. It's the number of people who only follow English football now because 'Scottish football is pish'.

In my work there are about 8 of us who follow football, drink together, play darts etc. All Scottish (5 from Edinburgh, 1 Invergordon, 1 Kirkaldy, 1 Glasgow). We have 1 Hibs supporter (me), 3 Liverpool fans, an Arsenal fan, a Newcastle fan, a Man Utd fan and a Man City fan who used to support Chelsea (I didn't think they really existed).

How people can get so passionate about teams they have no connection with is beyond me.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    We are probably forgetting that St Johnstone actually live within their means. They have hardly any infrastructure to support. Those artificial pitches at the side of the main entrance, earn them a good return as well.
    I would rather applaud the staff behind that club for getting a team as good as that onto the park will little or no resources, than make any comment about how well they are received in the community.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TQM View Post
    That's awful - our game is wrecked (besides that Perth's a dying city. No sure why anyone would want to go there personally).
    At least it's not Monifeith. I work beside quite a few Saints fans. 1 doesn't go due to costs but lives a mile from the ground. Another didn't even know they were playing. But they are Saints fans.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

The relentless negativity doesn't help either. This forum is almost completely lacking in anything positive these days.

If I was thinking about going on Friday 5 minutes on here would dissuade me completely.

There will be a number of reasons, most of them already mentioned, The only 1 i could add to the list is - it doesn't help when you rip the heart out a club and move to a soulless, breeze block shell on the outskirts of town.

They never have had good crowds since about the 70s have they, far too many buses heading for darkheid or ipox of course, typical of these days now really.

Terrible attendance by the way, almost shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    So if Rangers were in the SPL and Hearts were flying high, we'd get more than 8500 on Friday

The games been dying for years. And it was happening when Huns and mini huns were splurging the cash they never had.

who knows if it would affect our crowd but scottish football is heading in the wrong direction.
    celtic barely get more than 30,000 at home games now,thats about 25,000 down on what they were getting when rangers were around.
    what rangers and hearts have done is very wrong but the bottom line,in my opinion is that we need is certainly rangers back in the top flight again.
    dont care about hearts but financially the league will be better of with them both in it.
    its a difficult one to take but it is reality i feel.

this is purely looking at it from a money point of view
    Last edited by weonlywon6-2; 26-02-2014 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by weonlywon6-2 View Post
    who knows if it would affect our crowd but scottish football is heading in the wrong direction.
    celtic barely get more than 30,000 at home games now,thats about 25,000 down on what they were getting when rangers were around.
    what rangers and hearts have done is very wrong but the bottom line,in my opinion is that we need is certainly rangers back in the top flight again.
    dont care about hearts but financially the league will be better of with them both in it.

They had to be punished but there's no getting away from the fact that the rest of us have been punished too.

Quote Originally Posted by weonlywon6-2 View Post

Sometimes money isn't everything.

Teams who go to the lengths that Hearts and Rangers (RIP) have in order to cheat their way to success have to be punished, even if it's not the best thing from a financial point of view.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    St Johnstone in low crowd shocker. I think all this proves is that a couple of decent season have them thinking they are a bigger club than they are.
    Think thats a bit harsh to be fair. St Johnstone don't come across as a club who think they're massive (unlike Hearts).

They do however punch above their weight and would have every right to gloat about it in front of us.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    The relentless negativity doesn't help either. This forum is almost completely lacking in anything positive these days.

If I was thinking about going on Friday 5 minutes on here would dissuade me completely.
    Good of you to post something positive then

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    Good of you to post something positive then
    Well aye but you get my drift.