hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Promising Youngster merritthibees's Avatar
    What a disgrace!... The best doctors in the world that work crazy hours and shifts don't even make his weekly wage in a year! Football is getting a little out of hand with the whole money spending situation!

2. Log in to remove the advert

He could get the services of a few old hookers for that wage ;-)

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by weonlywon6-2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    back page of newspaper,Rooney gets 300,000 a week,front page RBS pay of 30,000 folk,very poor
    But not connected. You might as well have said Rooney gets 300,000 a week, Bowie urges Scots to vote no.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gie it tae hertz

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by merritthibees View Post
    What a disgrace!... The best doctors in the world that work crazy hours and shifts don't even make his weekly wage in a year! Football is getting a little out of hand with the whole money spending situation!
    It's not getting out of hand, its been this way as long as I can remember.

The best doctors in the world don't have tens of thousands of people interested in paying good money to go watch them do their thing each week. Is it fair? Maybe not. Is it fair the guy who lives downstairs from me stinks, looks like worzel gummage and plays crap music at 10 on a Saturday morning? Maybe not. But life's not fair. Don't see why folk (not a dig at merritthibees) feel the need to get so worked up about things like this (Rooney not my neighbour..) though.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    But not connected. You might as well have said Rooney gets 300,000 a week, Bowie urges Scots to vote no.
    Very much connected in terms of where we are as a society.

More worrying is Glen Johnson is on £110,000 a week

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by BarneyK View Post
    Naw it isnae.

Was Eto not on £316,000 a week at Anzhi?

I bet Messi, Ronaldo will be on similar and but we wouldnt get a 4 page thread

Another way to look at Rooney's contract is to consider how much Man Utd would have to spend on a transfer fee and wages for a replacement. At least with Rooney they know what they are getting and how well he fits their systems. Look at Veron for an example of how even the best managers can get it wrong when buying a player.

As regards player wages, most of the current Hibs squad will be on more than most of us make in a year (£1k per week = £52k per annum) and look how many complaints there are on here about the standard of player that we have. However I've yet to see a practical proposition on how player wages can be reduced to more reasonable levels (assuming "reasonable" can be agreed) when there is a global marketplace for footballers.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    It's nothing to do with football per se, and everything to do with market forces.

[Insert sport here] is massively popular, therefore lots of people want to watch it, therefore it's hugely profitable to sell TV subscriptions (and to a much lesser extent, tickets), therefore TV companies pay huge amounts for the rights to the competitions with the best players, therefore the prize money (not even for winning, just for competing) in those competitions is huge, therefore it's financially prudent for clubs to spend large chunks of money on players (particularly wages, which are more important than transfer fees) to make sure that they stay in those competitions.

It doesn't matter what the sport is, it would go the same way. In this case, it happens to be football.

That's capitalism, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Naw it isnae.

Aye it is.

This could go on all day

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    More worrying is Glen Johnson is on £110,000 a week
    He desperately needs the money though: http://www.theguardian.com/football/...wsstory.sport3

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post

This could go on all day

Naw it couldnae

(cos I've got to go walk the dog soon )

No, it isn't. It's a reflection of the fact that Rooney makes a ****load of cash for his employers, it's a rare talent and that Man Utd are desperate to retain that income source.

There's an argument about the value of nurses, firemen, policemen, plumbers etc to society but the fact is that plenty of folk, with training, have the ability to do these jobs so there is not the same desperation for their individual services. Most professions have more people capable of doing the job than can actually make a living doing it.

Aside from the income he generates, becoming a footballer of close to Rooney's calibre takes a lifetime of training and even then, despite millions upon millions trying to achieve it, very few actually manage it.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    No, it isn't. It's a reflection of the fact that Rooney makes a ****load of cash for his employers, it's a rare talent and that Man Utd are desperate to retain that income source.

There's an argument about the value of nurses, firemen, policemen, plumbers etc to society but the fact is that plenty of folk, with training, have the ability to do these jobs so there is not the same desperation for their individual services. Most professions have more people capable of doing the job than can actually make a living doing it.

Aside from the income he generates, becoming a footballer of close to Rooney's calibre takes a lifetime of training and even then, despite millions upon millions trying to achieve it, very few actually manage it.
    But who decides what each is 'worth'? Is it this panacea called the 'free market'. First of all, there's no such thing as a free market. All markets are rigged to some degree. Secondly, even if markets did work perfectly, then a system which says that Wayne Rooney is 'worth' in a week what a hospital consultant is 'worth' in three years isn't a system that works. There are clearly huge flaws inherent to this system, IMO

An NHS consultant, from example, requires 15-20 years training and study from beginning medical school, and is currently paid £101,000 per annum. If Rooney is 'worth' £15 million per annum, then we need to question the type of system which enables this to happen, how it comes to these crazy decisions, and whether we can find a better way of allocating the national wealth.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    We'll look back at this in a few years time and think it's chicken feed. Football pay is going the way of US sports.

As previous posters have said, it's the gap between the pay of the fans and that of these overpaid players that sticks in the craw.

None of the TV deal money for English clubs has gone to reduce ST prices. Funny that.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Handling View Post
    On the plus side, with all this money he has to throw about, other folks mums might not need to work again.

Rooney while a good player is not worth anywhere near that no player is, however if we put into context players that are better than him at this moment and forget the over inflated world they live in if we take the best players in the epl say imho that yaya, saurez, ozil, van percey, navas, silva, kompany, and a few more that i cant think of just now but all these Guys are better and should be on more than the is

The argument is made when rewarding high flying bankers that they need to do so in order to keep them - folk that, as you rightly state, should maybe be ten a penny in terms of ability, so really the financial remuneration argument can be used whatever your standpoint. I don't deny for a second that Rooney does bring in value to the club, of course he does, and if his club doesn't pay him what another might, then he'd be off. No, what I object to is the business as a whole. Any business where there is such blatant financial inequality to the average man needs to be reformed. Easier said than done I know but I'm certainly not for one about to accept that these things need to be.

I just can't get excited about footballers' earnings any more. On the whole football is entertainment. It's fun, thrilling (some of the time) and a Good Thing.

Rather Rooney got that sort of money than some banker, or criminal.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    I just can't get excited about footballers' earnings any more. On the whole football is entertainment. It's fun, thrilling (some of the time) and a Good Thing.

Rather Rooney got that sort of money than some banker, or criminal.
    Football is a good thing. But in the grand scheme of things, it's not important.

Important things suffer, because things that are not that important are taking higher priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    But who decides what each is 'worth'? Is it this panacea called the 'free market'. First of all, there's no such thing as a free market. All markets are rigged to some degree. Secondly, even if markets did work perfectly, then a system which says that Wayne Rooney is 'worth' in a week what a hospital consultant is 'worth' in three years isn't a system that works. There are clearly huge flaws inherent to this system, IMO

An NHS consultant, from example, requires 15-20 years training and study from beginning medical school, and is currently paid £101,000 per annum. If Rooney is 'worth' £15 million per annum, then we need to question the type of system which enables this to happen, how it comes to these crazy decisions, and whether we can find a better way of allocating the national wealth.
    Employers dictate worth.

I'm not arguing that Rooney is 'worth' more to society than anyone else. I'm arguing that, to his employers, he's worth what they're willing to pay. Its a private matter and there is no suggestion that he's evading tax so I don't see the issue.

If you want a different system in this country, vote for it. That's the nature of democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibercelona View Post
    Football is a good thing. But in the grand scheme of things, it's not important.

Important things suffer, because things that are not that important are taking higher priority.
    For the average club in a big league, the main source of income is TV money. It's not government spending that's been diverted away from schools and hospitals, it comes from ordinary folk subscribing to Sky Sports. If they didn't subscribe, and so that money didn't end up in footballers' pockets, where do you think it would go instead? To fund something important?

I'm not saying that this is a good thing, but there are some awfully naive posts on this thread.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    For the average club in a big league, the main source of income is TV money. It's not government spending that's been diverted away from schools and hospitals, it comes from ordinary folk subscribing to Sky Sports. If they didn't subscribe, and so that money didn't end up in footballers' pockets, where do you think it would go instead? To fund something important?

I'm not saying that this is a good thing, but there are some awfully naive posts on this thread.
    I'm not pointing my finger at the Government. I'm pointing it at society in general.

We accept a system that is actually quite damaging when you look at the bigger picture.

The argument is made when rewarding high flying bankers that they need to do so in order to keep them - folk that, as you rightly state, should maybe be ten a penny in terms of ability, so really the financial remuneration argument can be used whatever your standpoint. I don't deny for a second that Rooney does bring in value to the club, of course he does, and if his club doesn't pay him what another might, then he'd be off. No, what I object to is the business as a whole. Any business where there is such blatant financial inequality to the average man needs to be reformed. Easier said than done I know but I'm certainly not for one about to accept that these things need to be.
    I know little about investment bankers but my understanding is that, in the main, they make huge amounts of money for their employers. Which sort of reinforces my point.

A company in the US has just been sold for $19bn to Facebook, making the founders (some of whom were struggling to find a job four years ago) billionaires overnight. How sensible the amount paid was can be rightly debated but you wouldn't grudge the founders of the company the rewards of their initiative, creativity and hard work, would you?

PS Apologies if this is moving into 'Holy Ground' territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibercelona View Post
    I'm not pointing my finger at the Government. I'm pointing it at society in general.

We accept a system that is actually quite damaging when you look at the bigger picture.
    100% agree.

I know little about investment bankers but my understanding is that, in the main, they make huge amounts of money for their employers. Which sort of reinforces my point.

A company in the US has just been sold for $19bn to Facebook, making the founders (some of whom were struggling to find a job four years ago) billionaires overnight. How sensible the amount paid was can be rightly debated but you wouldn't grudge the founders of the company the rewards of their initiative, creativity and hard work, would you?

PS Apologies if this is moving into 'Holy Ground' territory.
    Two words...Flappy Bird. That guy was swimming in cash before he pulled it, and from what I've seen of it, it's a dull, conceived in two minutes flat excuse for a game (addictive/frustrating as it may be). And our capitalist society has since convinced folks that they can shift their old Ipads on Gumtree for five grand a pop. I don't know how much time and effort went into this idea you mention but of course it's right that they earn from it, though I would certainly argue the extent of the remuneration. Of course this is the society we live in. Personally I think we need to change it. I think that's the only real point I'm making here.

Employers dictate worth.

I'm not arguing that Rooney is 'worth' more to society than anyone else. I'm arguing that, to his employers, he's worth what they're willing to pay. Its a private matter and there is no suggestion that he's evading tax so I don't see the issue.

If you want a different system in this country, vote for it. That's the nature of democracy.
    With all due respect we don't have an opportunity to vote for a different system as one doesn't exist. The only chance we'll have to do so is on 18 September. Whether we make the right decision is anyone's guess.

I also don't agree with your assertion that we live in a democracy. Maybe 50 or so years ago, when politicians weren't (as) corrupt, we did but now, democracy is dead as a vehicle of government. What we actually live under is a kleptocracy, or in layman's terms, a system where the ruling class become richer at the commoner's expense whilst masquerading it as being in the interests of the general population. I think the evidence of politician's behaviour in recent years fully supports the kleptocracy argument and the carrot of a vote every 4-5 years is not sufficient to argue that we live under democratic rule.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TRC View Post
    Rooney while a good player is not worth anywhere near that no player is, however if we put into context players that are better than him at this moment and forget the over inflated world they live in if we take the best players in the epl say imho that yaya, saurez, ozil, van percey, navas, silva, kompany, and a few more that i cant think of just now but all these Guys are better and should be on more than the is
    Don't think any of those you mention is a better all-round footballer than Rooney. Some of these guys are great at their (one) job, but you could put Rooney in pretty much any outfield position and he'd make a decent fist of it imo. (I don't see Ozil or Van Persie shining at right-back, for example.)