hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar

European fitba was different in the old days

Out of 16 Europa League ties tonight, only two home teams won.
    In all 4 Champions League ties this week, the home teams lost without even scoring.

The concept of "home advantage" doesn't seem to apply any more. Shirley this could be fixed so that the majority of fans (ie home fans) go away from the product happy?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In all 4 Champions League ties this week, the home teams lost without even scoring.

The concept of "home advantage" doesn't seem to apply any more. Shirley this could be fixed so that the majority of fans (ie home fans) go away from the product happy?
    If you are leaving it to Shirley to fix it you might have a long wait

@hibs.net private member FitbaFolkKen's Avatar

Remove the away goals rule and make home teams more adventurous?

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Most European teams have players who are foreign and playing "away from home" at home anyway.

The favourites in all the European ties played this week were playing away from home and therefore are playing the second leg at home.

That might explain why a lot of the home teams lost this week.

I preferred the old set up, European Cup, Uefa Cup and Cup Winners Cup.

Have taken no real interest in European competition for a couple of years now, just think it's going a bit stale.

It's just not the same when when Hibs are not in it
    Last edited by Mango Man; 21-02-2014 at 02:29 PM.

Be better if we left the big countries to their champions/4th place league and the rest done some kind of breakaway tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    The favourites in all the European ties played this week were playing away from home and therefore are playing the second leg at home.
    What's the point of that rule? I get the seeding bit where, in the CL, group winners meet group runners-up, so that as many of the biggest clubs get through to the latter stages for £££ reasons. The poor stay poor and the rich get richer, everybody knows. But not why the group winners have to be at home in the second leg. If it's to keep the ties live as long as possible because of the gulf in ability, it doesn't seem to have worked this week. Perhaps it will mean less 'bus parking' overall?
    Last edited by lapsedhibee; 21-02-2014 at 07:13 AM.

First Team Regular aussie_hibee's Avatar
    It's all the home fans' fault. The players aren't used to playing in front of such loud and nasty crowds!!!

First Team Breakthrough
    What's the point of that rule? I get the seeding bit where, in the CL, group winners meet group runners-up, so that as many of the biggest clubs get through to the latter stages for £££ reasons. The poor stay poor and the rich get richer, everybody knows. But not why the group winners have to be at home in the second leg. If it's to keep the ties live as long as possible because of the gulf in ability, it doesn't seem to have worked this week. Perhaps it will mean less 'bus parking' overall?

I could be wrong, but I think that was just coincidence? I don't think there's any seeding in the knockout phase. Financially you can't differ from a lot of these teams, so I wouldn't see the sense in seeding after the group stage.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    The away goals rule has something to answer for surely? Home teams shutting up shop and waiting for the second leg before they go in the offensive.

Take almost no interest in the "Europa League" these days, glorified InterToto cup until the teams that got pumped out of the Champions League are brought into it.

Bring back the UEFA Cup, at least you could tell when Round 1 started instead of battling your way through 200 qualifying rounds before finding anything that resembled the start of the competition.

Boring and I don't care that I miss it tbh

The Champions League is the best and most prestigous football competition in the world, all the best players play in it, the World Cup is dross in comparison. I wouldn't say it's boring or stale, maybe a bit predictable at times but still the only competition actually worth cancelling a night out with the missus to stay in and watch

@hibs.net private member
    Think they should do away with seedings and just stick everyone in the same hat. Also teams from the same country should be allowed to be in the same group. Won't happen though.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    The World Cup is far more exciting than the 'Champions' League. Brilliant when great players have to step up to the mark alongside their fellow countrymen of lesser ability. A lot of pressure on Messi who has never reached the hights with Argentina that he has with Barca.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Think they should do away with seedings and just stick everyone in the same hat. Also teams from the same country should be allowed to be in the same group. Won't happen though.
    This is my numero uno major gripe with football, seedings, I loathe them.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    This is my numero uno major gripe with football, seedings, I loathe them.
    Seeding IMO is one of the worst things to happen to football. help the big teams big n all that

The Champions League is basically the same 8 or so teams in the latter stages every year. Of course a big money investment can see a 'lesser' team replace someone else, usually from their country, see Man City for Liverpool, PSG for Lyon, Napoli for Roma.

The whole of UEFA is set up to keep these teams happy and in their exclusive little club. The sooner they all **** off and leave the rest of us to it the better.

I didn't watch any of the football on tv this week. Getting too predictable and not really very exciting or interesting. Football at this level is in danger of self destructing imo.

Very few clubs now have a chance of winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty-Hibee View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think that was just coincidence? I don't think there's any seeding in the knockout phase. Financially you can't differ from a lot of these teams, so I wouldn't see the sense in seeding after the group stage.
    Maybe seeding's the wrong word, but in the CL knock-out stages it's not a free-for-all. Group stage winners meet runners-up, and I think teams from the same country can't meet until the QFs, something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    I'll second that.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    yes totally agree, fitba on last night so switched over for a few mins , then switched back to watching the darts. also previous night watched a bit of arsenal game but even that was garbage due to the player sent off. yes its all becoming boring.