hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Players you liked but not everyone rated

Positive-ish thread here.

What player or players did you 'like' or 'rate' that struggled to get other fans or the gaffers approval?

Mine are for example;

Benji - Loved him TBH. Always excited me when he was coming off the bench as I had a confidence he would score/create and change the game. He often did. I thought he had a great footballing brain and was a talented finisher. However not everyone took to him as well as others.

Kevin McBride - Our holding #17 was for me, one of the best players under Yogi. Always kept it cool and simple. Wasn't the most gifted but positionally very good. Me and my mate were full of praise for him. I even once said he was our best player (must have been steaming ). However alot of supporters thought he was garbage

So.... is there anyone you can think of?

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    Lewis Stevenson. He's getting more plaudits nowadays to be fair but for the past 3 seasons or so he got a lot of abuse from the support.

Colin Nish. He wasn't the best player in the world but he always gave 100% and some of the abuse he got was way over the top imo. His goals to games ratio for Hibs was actually pretty decent, I think.

I agree about McBride btw, he was really good up until Christmas time (possibly until he got sent off against the ex-Huns?).

Liam Miller

Yannick Zambernardi. TBF I cannot recall if he was liked or not but he was always cool and composed under pressure, could pick a (40 yard) pass and was Hibs class.

Stuart Lovell - massively under rated, always speaks highly of Hibs too. Class act.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yannick Zambernardi. TBF I cannot recall if he was liked or not but he was always cool and composed under pressure, could pick a (40 yard) pass and was Hibs class.

Stuart Lovell - massively under rated, always speaks highly of Hibs too. Class act.
    I loved Zambernardi, but it's being kind to say he could pick a pass. He looked the part with his long diagonals, but they went to nobody as often as the found a man.

Paul Hartley.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I loved Zambernardi, but it's being kind to say he could pick a pass. He looked the part with his long diagonals, but they went to nobody as often as the found a man.
    4-4?

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar

These two definitely. The first year my Dad and I got season tickets there was a guy behind us who gave Lovell constant abuse. I remember Archie scoring a peach against St Johnstone, and about 20 folk turned round to give this moron pelters.

@hibs.net private member

Lovell - agree

Justin Skinner - composed and excellent passer.

Lewis & Wotherspoon. Both hugely affected by turmoil at the club, change of managers every season or two. Fans always on their back as they were terrified of doing something wrong on the pitch and being binned by the new manager. Both should have left (much sooner in Wotherspoons case) and their careers would look alot different I'm sure. Can see Harris falling into this category to in about 12 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudster View Post
    Lewis & Wotherspoon. Both hugely affected by turmoil at the club, change of managers every season or two. Fans always on their back as they were terrified of doing something wrong on the pitch and being binned by the new manager. Both should have left (much sooner in Wotherspoons case) and their careers would look alot different I'm sure. Can see Harris falling into this category to in about 12 months.
    Wotherspoon goes down as the ultimate casualty of this era, in my book. Lots of potential but completely nurtured the wrong way. Lewis and Paul Hanlon are now showing signs of their quality with a good manager at the helm bringing them on.

I've said it for some time, that the most important signing a club can make is the manager. You can have good players (and we have), but without a good manager at the helm, you'll go nowhere, and that's exactly what happened to us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Joe T & Brian Hamilton

Paul Lovering. After the likes of David Elliot and Jamie McQuilken had insulted our number 3 jersey I thought he was the real deal. I can't really remember where it went wrong for him but I remember him playing a decent part in our promotion side. I think he might have lost his place to Tom Smith actually who was another unsung hero.

Am I allowed to say Paul Hartley? Always thought he had quality and I never thought he let us down. Played several postions, mainly wide and sometimes up front but never in his best position. Boy did he come back to haunt us.

Also, I'm delighted to see Sam Stanton emerge of late. I've been impressed with him every time he's featured. Again, mainly used for 10 minutes at a time and played wide but I'd have had him in the side about a year ago, playing as a number 10. We've been crying out for this guy for ages and he's been under our noses all the time.
    Last edited by Smartie; 20-02-2014 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Didn't see Hartley mentioned above.

@hibs.net private member hibeesjoe's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: catcabbage
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Paul Lovering. After the likes of David Elliot and Jamie McQuilken had insulted our number 3 jersey I thought he was the real deal. I can't really remember where it went wrong for him but I remember him playing a decent part in our promotion side. I think he might have lost his place to Tom Smith actually who was another unsung hero.

Am I allowed to say Paul Hartley? Always thought he had quality and I never thought he let us down. Played several postions, mainly wide and sometimes up front but never in his best position. Boy did he come back to haunt us.

Also, I'm delighted to see Sam Stanton emerge of late. I've been impressed with him every time he's featured. Again, mainly used for 10 minutes at a time and played wide but I'd have had him in the side about a year ago, playing as a number 10. We've been crying out for this guy for ages and he's been under our noses all the time.
    Another Lovering fan here. Cant really remember what happened to him though. Liked the way he always ran over too the east with a big clap before kick off

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_HFC View Post
    Colin Nish. He wasn't the best player in the world but he always gave 100% and some of the abuse he got was way over the top imo. His goals to games ratio for Hibs was actually pretty decent, I think.
    Was the same at Rugby Park as well....rated the guy pretty highly.

But he was replacing good players at both clubs, Boyd and Naisy at Killie

Benny Brazil was my favourite " non favourite"

Alan Sneddon. Took some stick week after week from the Hibs fans but was a solid defender and great servant. I was delighted to see him get a testimonial and a very good turnout. Well deserved IMO.

Paul Kane I had many many disagreements in the East defending Kano every week. I think that a lot of fans realised how good a player he was once he had left and was top man at both Aberdeen and St Johnstone.

Brian Hamilton. very good player who was appreciated by his teammates. Again a lot of fans realised this after he left.

John Connelly. A very very good player who came to us late in his career. Would have liked to have seen him in his prime with us.

Ralph Callaghan ​Another who used to take a lot of stick. Could be lazy but what a player

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    I remember thinking Noubissie was allright, although I was quite young.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: yekim evol
    Benji - I always thought he was a great player, still remember going nuts when Hughes would play Nish over him. Always wanted to see him play just behind the striker e.g. Stanton / Handlings position in Butchers side.

Rankin - Great work ethic, always felt that managers judged him differently over other players i.e. Mcbride would play over him or thornhill, Soares. Actually like seeing him play as the holding mid at united putting out fires everywhere.

Dean Sheils - Remember Collins not playing him and then the Hat-Trick against ICT in Mixu's debut game. Great talent, would love to see him back.

Ian Murray (Second Time) - One of the only players that you could never question the passion or desire. Still beileve that Him, Ivan and spoony could have stopped that final; Or made it more of a contest.

Ivan Sproule (Second Time) - I always felt that Ivan's issue on his return was defending. He spent so much time in his own half that he never got the chance to take on his own half, Look at his time at county played as a winger less defending made a impact.

PS someone tell me we couldn't use these players now ?

David Zitelli - Great player, brilliant left foot, very talented always happy when he played

Alex McGhee - From a late 70's, banged in goals at every reserve game but didn't quite make the first team from what I can remember

Joe McBride - Again, magic left foot and remember scoring 2 at *********** in a 2-2 draw during the early/mid 80's

Ulrik Laursen - Tremendous, very lucky to have him when we did, really hacked off when he left like Murphy

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    John Rankin was the first name I thought of when I saw the thread title, then Lewis Stevenson.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Genius
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gary Caldwell - I always laughed when I read on here week after week all how so many thought Caldwell was rubbish. I wonder if any of those posters have maybe amended their opinion of him after seeing some of the defences we've had since he left. First pick and sometimes captain for Hibs, Celtic and Scotland under Tony Mowbray, Gordon Strachan, Alex McLeish, Walter Smith and others. Also a regular in the English Premier League and Championship. I wonder why all these excellent managers and coaches rated him so highly when Hibs fans seemed to wish him gone. The treatment he received from a significant number of Hibs fans was an embarassment. F*&%'s sake - many Hibees habitually used the epithet "Calamity" before they wrote his name - and that was when he played FOR us

Brian Hamilton - McGinlay replaced him and was better...but I felt we lost shape that season (94/95 IIRC)
    David Farrell - always gave his all
    Danny Lennon - first time I saw him against Aberdeen at home I thought he was amazing (!)
    Paul Lovering - Loved his attitude
    Paul Hartley - Thought he was brilliant - gutted we let him go...

Other football players?

Me - I like me a lot. Everyone else thinks I play football like a small one legged penguin. Ah well.

Quote Originally Posted by Paloschi View Post
    Positive-ish thread here.

What player or players did you 'like' or 'rate' that struggled to get other fans or the gaffers approval?

Mine are for example;

Benji - Loved him TBH. Always excited me when he was coming off the bench as I had a confidence he would score/create and change the game. He often did. I thought he had a great footballing brain and was a talented finisher. However not everyone took to him as well as others.

Kevin McBride - Our holding #17 was for me, one of the best players under Yogi. Always kept it cool and simple. Wasn't the most gifted but positionally very good. Me and my mate were full of praise for him. I even once said he was our best player (must have been steaming ). However alot of supporters thought he was garbage

So.... is there anyone you can think of?
    Peter Cormack, outstanding and one of the very best who have graced our club, but he took more than his fair share abuse from a section of the support.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    I've never really felt the hate for Satchel that other .netters have. For the half season that Hurly Burley was in charge of the yams he was a fine player.

What? Wrong thread?

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Ally Mcleod of late seventies/ early eighties vintage.

Ally was an absolutely brilliant player who scored almost 100 goals for the Hibees but for whatever reason he was never universally accepted by the Hibs support. Some thought he was downright lazy, others thought he was just a fat bassa but what he definitely did have was skill in abundance, great vision and a knack of scoring some spectacular goals out of absolutely nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr6qwx6CZlM

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Ally Mcleod of late seventies/ early eighties vintage.

Ally was an absolutely brilliant player who scored almost 100 goals for the Hibees but for whatever reason he was never universally accepted by the Hibs support. Some thought he was downright lazy, others thought he was just a fat bassa but what he definitely did have was skill in abundance, great vision and a knack of scoring some spectacular goals out of absolutely nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr6qwx6CZlM
    Couldn't agree more, my favourite player of all time.

Brian Hamilton - always broke up play and played a simple ball.

Paul Hartley - Don't know why but i liked him when he played for Hibs.

Alan Sneddon - was young when he was about but always remember the grumbles whenever he had the ball. I thought he was a no bad player.

Joe T - Liked him too but always had his moaners.

Neil Orr - thought he was a good player but still got some stick.

John Rankin - again like Neil Orr.

Stuart Lovell - we more solid defensively when he played

George McCluskey - liked him but always had his moaners.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Ricardo Vaz Te. If we had a half decent manager at that time, that could get the best out of him, I believe he could have became a very good player for us as he was skilful and direct. I felt that their was a player in their somewhere but majority of my mates didn't agree and wanted him binned.