hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    'S' Form

Dissertation survey - some hibs content

Hi everyone, my daughter is writing her dissertation on business ethics in football and needs football fans to complete her survey. Any help would be appreciated.
    GGTTH

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/BFTHSXZ

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hi everyone, my daughter is writing her dissertation on business ethics in football and needs football fans to complete her survey. Any help would be appreciated.
    GGTTH

Done.

I recently (last year) handed in my dissertation on Scottish football. Business ethics was also one of my favourite topics in my final year of uni. If you think I can be of any further help during the dissertation don't hesitate to drop me a PM.

Dan.
    Mon the Hibs.

Done. Hope it helps
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Done. Hope it helps
    DittoPp

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Done. That will be a tricky one for any Yams to complete.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    Done. That will be a tricky one for any Yams to complete.
    completed.

It certainly would get them thinking though!

Left by mutual consent!
    Done, hope I have helped :-)

Done Good luck to her.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: FleshCabbage
    Done, I remember when I posted my survey here last year and it was a fantastic help as I got more than enough data. My one was on press ethics and the way the public perceives the media in line with the trend of globalization.

Tell your daughter to contact someone like Russell Smith or Tom Zanelli at Hibs who might be more than happy to help and I would imagine Dr Kris Von Wald of the Hibernian Community Foundation would help as well if your daughter is choosing to conduct interviews as her other method of data collection.

done

Done, and good luck to her.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Done. Hope it helps
    Same here

@hibs.net private member WellingtonHibby's Avatar
    Done.
    Kicking it in Wellington .

@hibs.net private member Gettin' Auld's Avatar
    Done.

@hibs.net private member
    Sorted. Wish her luck.

Did

@hibs.net private member
    Done. I am often asked to complete surveys that seem to be a waste of time. This one isn't, and asks some good questions.

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Done. An interesting study with some very thought-provoking questions.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Done, some excellent questions.

@hibs.net private member Juice-Terry's Avatar
    Done. Good luck.

@hibs.net private member
    Done. I am often asked to complete surveys that seem to be a waste of time. This one isn't, and asks some good questions.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Done.

Done - the findings should be interesting!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Leith Sansiro
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    GGTTH

Done, important topic in these times of cuts to community funding clubs should always do as much as they can as their existence is enabled by the community in which they reside.

Good luck in her studies.

Done Mikey......
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CENNYDD
    Done hope it helps.

@hibs.net private member barcahibs's Avatar
    Done.

Some really thought provoking questions in there!

Ended up contradicting myself (no surprise!) would be interested to hear other's views on a couple of the questions if they felt like sharing?

I answered the diving question by saying that whilst I wouldn't prejudge a player I wouldn't tolerate someone for whom diving became a regular part of their game. I would make my feelings on the subject known to other fans (via places like this) and, if I felt nothing was being done, I'd also make my feelings known directly to the club. I'd expect the management to (privately) make it clear to the player that they wanted the behaviour stopped.

My original answer was that I wouldn't tolerate diving full stop... but then I remembered a certain Matthias Jack and his absolutely blatant dive to win Hibs a penalty (and, I think, the game) very late on in a home game against Dundee United.

As I remember it it was an incredibly blatant dive - Jack had to even turn his back on the referee he was laughing so hard at having won it - the Dundee Hibs players were furious (I remember Alan Combe in particular going mental). At the time I thought this was brilliant and richly deserved. Utd had been playing a game of 'anti-football', time wasting and making horribly niggly wee fouls all match and deserved to lose.
    I wouldn't have given those three points back (presuming we won, my memories a bit hazy) for anything.
    I don't remember diving to win penalties being a major part of Matty's game (as I recall his job was mainly to go around kicking people til they gave him the ball)

So diving full stop becomes 'regular' diving. I'm only Human, I do a dozen hypocritical things every day before breakfast, but I was quite surprised to find myself not as hardline as I'd thought. I wonder how I'd react in the same situation today? Have my ethics changed?

That incident also exposed some other possibly hypocritical parts of my footballing value set - time-wasting is unacceptable (though taking the ball for a run to the corner flag is fine); the whole team making niggly fouls and expressly setting out to prevent the other side playing is sort of unacceptable, depending on the circumstances; having a player whose main job is running round the centre of the park kicking people and bullying the opposition is fine.
    'Gamesmanship' by the way (which I define as, an attacker falling over - after there has been actual deliberate physical contact instigated by the defender - even though he could possibly have rode the challenge out) is fine. If deliberate contact breaks or changes the players stride or balance, I feel he has the right to fall over.

I also think there should be more focus on non-attacking players diving - e.g Steven Pressley's historical habit of falling over everytime he came up against a player who could beat him for pace (ie everyone towards the end of his career) used to drive me nuts; but was regarded as 'intelligent defending' by most commentators.

Finally on the footballing ethics in general question I'm still pretty firm on that one, I want my club's ethos to be winning the right way or not at all. I'm not really sure how to express this but, the game itself and Hibs in particular are still more important to me than winning. The community and historical aspect of being a Hibby is more important to me than winning. I go to watch Hibs because I'm a Hibby and I wouldn't risk changing the things that to me make up 'Hibbydom' just for success - I wouldn't support an oil rich sheik (or Lithuanian submariner) taking over the club and buying us success, no matter how many trophies we won, if it changed who and what we are one iota.
    (obviously I'd prefer it if Hibs won everything but that's not why I go to Easter Road. I go to Easter Road to watch Hibs play football like my dad before me and like generations after me will do).

I remember expressing that opinion once before on here a few years ago and being shot down in flames, I'd be interested to hear what other's think about that subject now?
    Last edited by barcahibs; 13-02-2014 at 04:18 PM.

Done. Some excellent questions.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Done

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby