hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Swansea sack Michael Laudrup

Not surprising. Their recent results have been shocking.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I expect Fulham will be doing the same shortly especially as their board have just said that the manager has their 100% backing .

I'm very surprised tbh, he had them playing great football. Sticky patch atm but couldn't see them going down.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm surprised I thought they'd let him bring in during January and Swansea next game is at home to Cardiff city.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    I'm very surprised tbh, he had them playing great football. Sticky patch atm but couldn't see them going down.
    Tbh I'm not sure they do play great football.

I don't watch them a lot but a mate at work is Welsh and travels down to every home game. He was increasingly frustrated that Laudrup had changed the way they played from fast, attacking football to slow and ponderous with no cutting edge.

Think the great football tag has stuck when it maybe isn't merited.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

I don't watch them a lot but a mate at work is Welsh and travels down to every home game. He was increasingly frustrated that Laudrup had changed the way they played from fast, attacking football to slow and ponderous with no cutting edge.

Yep tbh after I posted it I did think that the last time I probably watched them was October time, lot can change in a few months I suppose. Still think it's an odd decision, managers certainly don't have very good job security these days!

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    I'm surprised I thought they'd let him bring in during January and Swansea next game is at home to Cardiff city.
    1730 ko on Sat, could be a bit tasty!

Delighted. Had a tenner on him in the sack race!

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    12 months since he was being linked with Real Madrid. Funny old game

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    I don't think they've been shocking at all.

They've had a very tricky run. 12th in the league, still in Europe, still in the FA cup.

Quote Originally Posted by deano88 View Post

They've had a very tricky run. 12th in the league, still in Europe, still in the FA cup.
    And Michu missing many of the games..

It's perhaps not surprising given the culture of sacking managers. However, this is the first time his team has had a dip in form and the board have panicked. He done brilliantly with them last season in the league and won silverware.

It is clear that the Europa League playin on a thurs is not conducive with premier league football. Newcastle couldn't cope last season but improved this year without it. They haven't done as well this season but it's Swansea City, they were playing in league two not long ago! Michael Laudrup is a victim of his own success and I have now lost respect for SCFC for this ridiculous decision

Quote Originally Posted by deano88 View Post

Shocking maybe the wrong choice of word. Perhaps I should have said disappointing. Only four points taken from the last six games and although they are 12th in the league that's only two points above the relegation zone.

It's getting ridiculous. You have a good season, you get into Europe. You have a small squad and players like michu aren't performing due to injury etc. You go on a bad run due to Europe, injuries and suspension. Instead of sticking by a manager they sack them.

Sacking managers just because of a bad run isn't good for stability! Look at arsenal always stuck by wenger in bad times. Arsenal know he is good at building new teams and know that no other manager can do it due to their restrictions.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Shocking maybe the wrong choice of word. Perhaps I should have said disappointing. Only four points taken from the last six games and although they are 12th in the league that's only two points above the relegation zone.
    Disappointing probably is a better word but they've played City, Utd and Spurs in the last six.

Fulham is probably the only game I'd say they were favourite s and they won that. Would've predicted a draw at West Ham.

By the sounds of things the Swansea board reckoned he had lost interest a bit. To be fair to them they don't have a record for sacking managers over the last few years. They are fan owned an ran I think. I watched a programme on BBC a few months ago about them and really liked their ethos on how they want to play. The manager has to buy into the system they want to play and that runs right through the club. There must be more to it I reckon.
    Last edited by lEXO; 04-02-2014 at 09:02 PM. Reason: spelling again

The short-sightedness of football boards these days is unbelievable.

As someone else has said already, it was only a few months ago that he was being touted for some really big jobs and now he's deemed surplus to requirements at Swansea.

It's ridiculous really.

His biggest misfortune was how he done so well last season and people expect that all the time

They are Swansea, not really a massive team in te English leagues

Very poor decision IMO

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    It's Stevie Clark all over again. One exceptional season, now taken as "norm" anything else is underperforming and bring someone new in. Shows just how much free money floats about that league as the new guy will come in and in the summer do a DiCanio and spend the GDP of Ireland on 3 players......

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Managers don't get sacked, they get paid off handsomely.

@hibs.net private member JoeTortolanoFanClub's Avatar
    I expect Fulham will be doing the same shortly especially as their board have just said that the manager has their 100% backing .
    I was at the Fulham v Sheffield United FA Cup replay tonight. In over 40 years of watching football all around the world it was without question the worst professional match I have ever seen live. I would be asking for a refund if I hadn't been given a free ticket.

Certainly sounds like he's been sacked for refusing to commit, which is fair enough. There was uncertainty last season but things went well, this season they are struggling, so perhaps that's been a factor.

If he doesn't want to be there it brings the whole club down, as Calderwood did for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibercelona View Post
    Managers don't get sacked, they get paid off handsomely.
    Yes they do get sacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    c'mon the bluebir.............err, red tops ,or whatever they are thesedays. red bull? any manager in charge of an English premiership team, if they are out of the top 10-12 for more than 5 games, is cannonfodder, these days. money, is what seems to be all it's about, and if they are in the drop zone,......taxi.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Schrader View Post
    Yes they do get sacked.
    Getting paid to leave, isn't being sacked.

They can word it that way if they want, but it's not a sacking, it's a pay off.

I also don't get the mass sympathy for managers being paid off. How about people who actually get sacked and have no money to live on?

Left by mutual consent!
    The Swansea board sacked him because he paid 200,000 pounds, for a **** youngster who could not get a game for a **** young team!
    think his name is Wan

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

There is some truth in this. However, Laudrup is suffering 2nd season syndrome, opponents are focusing relentlessly on Swansea's weaknesses and michu is injured.

He is partly to blame for a poor run but can't believe they've sacked him.

knd of agree with this

Quote Originally Posted by EskbankHibee View Post
    It's perhaps not surprising given the culture of sacking managers. However, this is the first time his team has had a dip in form and the board have panicked. He done brilliantly with them last season in the league and won silverware.

It is clear that the Europa League playin on a thurs is not conducive with premier league football. Newcastle couldn't cope last season but improved this year without it. They haven't done as well this season but it's Swansea City, they were playing in league two not long ago! Michael Laudrup is a victim of his own success and I have now lost respect for SCFC for this ridiculous decision
    The first 'bad patch' and he's gone. In a tough league where teams above him spend much more freely and the team directly above them with only 3 more points announced on the same day they have opened talks with their manager about extending their managers contract.

Seems somewhat precipitous but one never knows. Maybe Laudrup is not too unhappy about it. Being sacked in football management is not always a bad career move. Just look at the manager directly above him.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Judging by the Chairman's comments, he wasn't convinced Laudrup was committed so he punted him.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Judging by the Chairman's comments, he wasn't convinced Laudrup was committed so he punted him.
    Laudrup was never there - regular in season holidays and breaks apparenty.