hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

Rebuilding in the summer

Will we be seeing a fair amount of signings in the summer as TB will want to rebuild his squad and get his own players in/what kind of players will we be bringing in do we think? I know that we are just over half way through our current season but I honestly think when TB brings in his own players we will be great next season

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARLEYS DUG View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Will we be seeing a fair amount of signings in the summer as TB will want to rebuild his squad and get his own players in/what kind of players will we be bringing in do we think? I know that we are just over half way through our current season but I honestly think when TB brings in his own players we will be great next season
    Complete overhaul in the summer with multiple signings and a number of players going out IMO

@hibs.net private member mutley's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: mutley074
    Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    Complete overhaul in the summer with multiple signings and a number of players going out IMO
    That sounds about right to me

Left by mutual consent!
    Going on what has been the norm at clubs and what TB has said, the summer will be when the main activity takes place. Our current first team squad is as follows:-

Williams, Clancy, McGivern, Hanlon, Nelson, McPake, Harris, Robertson, Vine, Craig, Cairney, Collins, Stevenson, OTJ, Maybury, Handling, Taiwo, Murdoch, Forster, Heffernan, Stanton, Zoubir, Caldwell, Grant, Cummings and Thomson.

I'm not quite sure what the contract staus of all the players is but barring a massive up turn in performances, I would say that definitely leaving by end of season at latest will be Clancy, Vine, Maybury (reckon he might retire), Taiwo, Zoubir and Thomson.

The question mark category looms over Williams, Nelson, McPake, Cairney, OTJ and Heffernan. I don't think he'll keep both Nelson and McPake. He's surprisingly not really used OTJ so there could be something up there and he could be off. Cairney's future hinges on how he does for the rest of the season but he's been a bit hit and miss and with Dundee United, Partick and St Mirren supposedly interested, he could be away.

So we could have (if one or two of the question marks stay):-

GKs - Williams or new GK, Murdoch, Grant

Defenders - McGivern, Hanlon, Forster, Nelson or McPake

Midfielders - Harris, Robertson, Craig, Stevenson, Stanton

Forwards - Collins, Handling, Caldwell and Cummings

The above will be supplemented by maybe one or two players we net in January but I suspect we could see a good few in during the summer all over the park. Forwards will be interesting as I don't think, barring a good back end of the season, Heff has really done enough to be kept. We also don't need Handling, Cummings and Caldwell all in the first team squad. I expect one of those three to be released, one to be loaned and one to get a chance in the top team along with Collins and two new strikers.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Heff getting emptied either in the summer

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    What's the situation with Heff? Carrying an injury or does the management not fancy him?
    Think he's contracted until summer 2015 though

Left by mutual consent!
    That would be a shame, I really like Heff. Think he's arguably the best finisher at the club (i know he hasn't scored too many but look at when he was at Killie) think he still has a lot to offer, aswell as being a liked member of the team, and a vital member of the Venga Bus crew #KeepTheHeff

Left by mutual consent!
    Here is my best guesses on player contracts. Please can people who are a bit more knowlwedgeable on these sort of things correct/fill in the blanks where appropriate:-

Williams - ends summer 2014
    Clancy - ends summer 2014
    McGivern - ends summer 2015
    Hanlon - ends summer 2016
    Nelson - ends summer 2015
    McPake - ends summer 2014
    Harris - ends summer 2017
    Robertson - ends summer 2015
    Vine - ends summer 2014
    Craig - ends summer 2015
    Cairney - ends summer 2014
    Collins - ends summer 2015
    Stevenson - ends summer 2014
    OTJ - ends summer 2015
    Maybury - ends summer 2014
    Handling
    Taiwo - ends summer 2014
    Murdoch
    Forster- ends summer 2016
    Heffernan - ends summer 2015
    Stanton - ends summer 2015
    Zoubir - ends summer 2014
    Caldwell - ends summer 2014
    Grant
    Cummings
    Thomson - ends summer 2014
    Last edited by The Sea-gull; 27-01-2014 at 11:01 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sea-gull View Post
    Here is my best guesses on player contracts. Please can people who are a bit more knowlwedgeable on these sort of things correct/fill in the blanks where appropriate:-

Hanlon
    Nelson - ends summer 2014
    McPake - ends summer 2015
    Harris - dunno but signed a new deal last week so must be a good few years
    Vine - ends summer 2014
    Craig - ends summer 2015
    OTJ - ends summer 2015
    Handling
    Taiwo - ends summer 2014
    Murdoch
    Forster
    Heffernan
    Stanton
    Caldwell
    Grant
    Cummings
    Thomson - ends summer 2015
    Just saw Heffernan was on a 2 year deal when he signed in Aug 2013. Looks like we're stuck with him potentially then. Not really fussed but fitness and form not been great thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    What's the situation with Heff? Carrying an injury or does the management not fancy him?
    Think he's contracted until summer 2015 though
    That would be a shame, I really like Heff. Think he's arguably the best finisher at the club (i know he hasn't scored too many but look at when he was at Killie) think he still has a lot to offer, aswell as being a liked member of the team, and a vital member of the Venga Bus crew #KeepTheHeff
    ive go idea what the situation is with him and don't think the re in some to be honest. He's not fit or sharp enough which was evident against UTD and Aberdeen. I know he has another year but I suspect we will bring in alternatives and he will move on.

Harris - dunno but signed a new deal last week so must be a good few years
    Pretty sure it was until 2017 he signed which is great news.

Left by mutual consent!
    Just saw Heffernan was on a 2 year deal when he signed in Aug 2013. Looks like we're stuck with him potentially then. Not really fussed but fitness and form not been great thus far.
    Pretty sure Nelson signed on 3 year deal, so he will be about 35.

Left by mutual consent!
    Did he? If that's true then whoever sanctioned that needs their head read. He's an ok player but seems mad to hand out 3 year deals to 33 year old bog standard SPL centre halfs.

ive go idea what the situation is with him and don't think the re in some to be honest. He's not fit or sharp enough which was evident against UTD and Aberdeen. I know he has another year but I suspect we will bring in alternatives and he will move on.
    Wouldnt surprise me either. I think Heff could score goals for us but I'm not sure he's mobile enough for Butcher's liking.

Did he? If that's true then whoever sanctioned that needs their head read. He's an ok player but seems mad to hand out 3 year deals to 33 year old bog standard SPL centre halfs.
    Was 2 years

End of next season I thought

Left by mutual consent!
    Sorry, it was 2 years will be 35 in his final season, i think. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23540624

Left by mutual consent!
    End of next season I thought
    Signed a 2 year deal (thought it was 3) and of next season bud.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Was 2 years
    Yep, apologies http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23540624

Yep, apologies http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23540624
    No worries

Left by mutual consent!
    Sorry, it was 2 years will be 35 in his final season, i think. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23540624
    Cheers. Editing the list on my earlier post as we go along.

Left by mutual consent!

Hanlon - ends summer 2016
    Nelson - ends summer 2015
    McPake - ends summer 2014
    Harris - ends summer 2017
    Vine - ends summer 2014
    Craig - ends summer 2015
    OTJ - ends summer 2015
    Handling
    Taiwo - ends summer 2014
    Murdoch
    Forster- ends summer 2016
    Heffernan - ends summer 2015
    Stanton - ends summer 2015
    Caldwell - ends summer 2014
    Grant
    Cummings
    Thomson - ends summer 2014
    Just looked a few up. Never realised McPake's is out in the summer. Thought he had signed a three year in summer 2012. Also, had though Nelson was on a one year but turns out he in on a two.

Got a feeling McPake will either be released at the end of his deal, retire or be given 6 months to prove his fitness at Hibs or elsewhere. If I was Terry I would just release him. I know it seems harsh but I don't think we can afford to wait on McPake finding his form and fitness.

Mentioned in another post that I thought he would only retain one of Nelson and McPake. With fitness, form and the contract situation, if one is being kept then it has to be Nelson for me.

Just looked a few up. Never realised McPake's is out in the summer. Thought he had signed a three year in summer 2012. Also, had though Nelson was on a one year but turns out he in on a two.

Got a feeling McPake will either be released at the end of his deal, retire or be given 6 months to prove his fitness at Hibs or elsewhere. If I was Terry I would just release him. I know it seems harsh but I don't think we can afford to wait on McPake finding his form and fitness.

Mentioned in another post that I thought he would only retain one of Nelson and McPake. With fitness, form and the contract situation, if one is being kept then it has to be Nelson for me.
    Its a no brainer .just a pity Nelson is getting on in years as legs might loose bit more pace into next season and and he isn't quickest ,but normally his positional play and reading of game is good

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    Its a no brainer .just a pity Nelson is getting on in years as legs might loose bit more pace into next season and and he isn't quickest ,but normally his positional play and reading of game is good
    Nelson is a no-nonsense defender who, while being far from perfect, is dependable enough at this level with the right partner. His distribution is shocking though and he is not a footballer.

It works well with him and Hanlon though as he is the more "attacking" defender who gets the head on the ball and hoofs it clear when required. Hanlon provides the pace and a bit more quality on the ball. When he has played with Nelson, it is the most assured I have seen Hanlon look in a Hibs shirt. Any other combination out of McPake, Hanlon, Nelson and Forster just does not work nearly as well as Hanlon and Nelson.

In terms of centre halfs for next season, I'd keep Hanlon and Nelson with Froster still in and around things learing the game. I'd bring in a real top quailty centre half though - one who can play well no matter who he is put beside. That is something that Pat Fenlon never really addressed for any decent length of time while at Hibs.

Nelson is a no-nonsense defender who, while being far from perfect, is dependable enough at this level with the right partner. His distribution is shocking though and he is not a footballer.

It works well with him and Hanlon though as he is the more "attacking" defender who gets the head on the ball and hoofs it clear when required. Hanlon provides the pace and a bit more quality on the ball. When he has played with Nelson, it is the most assured I have seen Hanlon look in a Hibs shirt. Any other combination out of McPake, Hanlon, Nelson and Forster just does not work nearly as well as Hanlon and Nelson.

In terms of centre halfs for next season, I'd keep Hanlon and Nelson with Froster still in and around things learing the game. I'd bring in a real top quailty centre half though - one who can play well no matter who he is put beside. That is something that Pat Fenlon never really addressed for any decent length of time while at Hibs.
    Dont think there were many things he addressed Thankfully he addressed his resignation letter right . That was one of his better decisions .

Left by mutual consent!
    Jake Hyde?

Think Killie knew for them it was a no brainer keep Boyd who has proved to be goalscorer they thought he would be and jettison Heff a high earner who had done well for them but was getting older for a striker and was never blessed with great pace and if anything he may have lost a bit more since he came to us .When on form he can make the ball stick and link up play well but if butcher wants game played at higher tempo then he may struggle to get back in on regular basis but playing for under 20s as he was tonight can bring players like Cummings on .

Jake Hyde?
    23 in 55 appearances for Barnet. 6ft 1 23 years old.

Could fit the bill?

Jake Hyde?
    Bob, where have you dug his name up from

Left by mutual consent!
    Bob, where have you dug his name up from
    Was just a suggestion Billy. Could score goals for us? Would like Frank Moussa from Coventry too. Great creative player!